Exploit lets remote attackers lock your Samsung phone

I wonder why any Government would want to put their trust in Samsung's Knox. These type of stories strengthen BlackBerry's case.

Engadget Article:

Exploit lets remote attackers lock your Samsung phone

If you're using Samsung's Find My Mobile service to keep tabs on your Galaxy phone's whereabouts, you may want to stop using it for a while. Both NIST and security researcher Mohamed Baset are warning about an exploit that lets evildoers remotely lock, ring or wipe Samsung smartphones. As it turns out, Find My Mobile doesn't validate the lock code information it gets -- an attacker just has to flood the target device with network traffic to get control. Since the locator tool normally turns on when you sign up for a Samsung account, there's a real chance that you're vulnerable.

We've reached out to Samsung for its take on the vulnerability, and we'll let you know what it has to say about a fix. For now, though, the only surefire way to avoid any rude surprises is to turn off Find My Mobile altogether and take the chance that you won't be mugged. You might not want to visit any dark alleys in the near future.
    10-28-14 07:16 AM
    Wow! Amazing. Why indeed would any business want this?
    10-28-14 09:02 AM
    Wow! Amazing. Why indeed would any business want this?
    Because their employees need all those fart apps! There can't be a business meeting without fart apps.

Posted via CB10
    WZFoster likes this.
    10-28-14 09:15 AM
    Lucky for me I wont be on my S4 for much longer.
    10-28-14 09:15 AM
    I see nothing about Knox? Did I miss it?
    10-28-14 09:20 AM
    I see nothing about Knox? Did I miss it?
    I believe OP is making the point that if a traditional Samsung phone is such a security mess how can you trust them to make a super secure phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 12:03 PM
    Knox isn't a phone. It's an mdm product isn't it? Samsung doesn't make android either.
    10-28-14 12:25 PM
    Are those employees still using jellyBEANS??

Because their employees need all those fart apps! There can't be a business meeting without fart apps.

Posted via CB10

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 12:28 PM
    Knox isn't a phone. It's an mdm product isn't it? Samsung doesn't make android either.
    But this exploit is directly related to Samsung devices only. It is their version of BlackBerry Protect, which is supposed to be their consumer version of security software.

So it may not be directly related to Knox, but how does that make you feel about their security?
    10-28-14 12:30 PM
    I feel the same as I would on anything. Did you quit shopping at Target because they were hacked? Did you cancel your credit card account, not just that card because your number was hacked? Did you move to a new bank? Or do you take precautions?
    10-28-14 12:46 PM
    I feel the same as I would on anything. Did you quit shopping at Target because they were hacked? Did you cancel your credit card account, not just that card because your number was hacked? Did you move to a new bank? Or do you take precautions?
    All I'm trying to say is that it should help BlackBerry's cause and high security organizations are different than your average consumer. There are different priorities.
    10-28-14 12:50 PM
    Samsung should be glad hardly anyone uses their S-Apps as you need to have created a Samsung acct for this exploit to work or this would be a much bigger problem.
    10-28-14 12:56 PM
    As I have said a thousand times, no software controlled device is 100% safe. Every day I read about another hack or software glitch that's bigger then the previous one.

Once you accept the fact that your connected to the grid, you are exposed to the possibility of be hacked, period.

If you think it can't ever happen to you, I have an old proverb you should read:

A fool and his/her money are soon parted.
    10-29-14 04:08 AM
    Escape, validate, recalculate (hash)...

And limit password attempts, ahem... yeah, Apple! :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-29-14 06:50 AM
    As I have said a thousand times, no software controlled device is 100% safe. Every day I read about another hack or software glitch that's bigger then the previous one.

Once you accept the fact that your connected to the grid, you are exposed to the possibility of be hacked, period.

If you think it can't ever happen to you, I have an old proverb you should read:

A fool and his/her money are soon parted.

Of course not. But as long as it doesn't happen to BlackBerry and does happen to someone else then it's going to be good for them.
    bakron1 and spikesolie like this.
    10-29-14 07:30 AM
    If I'm reading that correct the vulnerability is more related to the general find my phone functionality as opposed to knox. Knox partitions out a section of memory that is supposedly inaccessible from outside of knox.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 06:06 PM
    If I'm reading that correct the vulnerability is more related to the general find my phone functionality as opposed to knox. Knox partitions out a section of memory that is supposedly inaccessible from outside of knox.

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    10-29-14 06:08 PM
    Still doe not help you when the Samsung phones in your company are all locked and you need to reset them to gain access. All it can do is annoy the It department and users

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:17 AM