Analysis Written off by pundits and the markets, barely a day goes by without a fresh requiem for RIM. A recent example comes from Jean-Louis Gassee in Saving Private RIM.

Its a good analysis - you never get anything less from Gassee - but astonishingly BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) barely gets a mention. Of all RIMs assets, the value of BBM is consistently underestimated. BBM today is a thriving social network thats almost as large as Twitter. To ignore BBM is like describing Porsche as a luxury leather seat manufacturer Porsches have terrific bottom cushions - and completely discount the frame surrounding it.

Yet ignore it, they do. Theres a wilful blindness when affluent middle-aged men (invariably white) discuss RIM. Perhaps it's because BBM is used by teens. In that case, what does a tech biz analyst in his 40th floor corner office, idly planning a skiing getaway, know about the lifestyle of a 15-year-old catching a bus on the street far below? Its a serious analytical failure and here I will give it into some context.
    The 'experts' who never see BBM will never understand RIM ? The Register
    08-14-12 08:54 AM
    Wow, that article is a bit of a stretch. Overstate the impact of BBM much? Great messaging platform, but far from the only messaging platform.
    08-14-12 08:58 AM
    Whoops meant to put this in the News section - any kindly admin want to move it?
    08-14-12 08:58 AM
    Cool article cgk.

BBM is one of, if not the main way to communicate for me lately.

Also, kids nowadays have new iphones I've seen. It used to be kids badgering their parents for those 80 trainers...now, its 500 iphones !
    08-14-12 09:11 AM
    Wow, that article is a bit of a stretch. Overstate the impact of BBM much? Great messaging platform, but far from the only messaging platform.
    Agreed.

If BBM were that important, there wouldn't be an exodus of people leaving BB for device that don't have BBM. It becomes even less important when there's fewer and fewer people owning a BB thus less BBM contacts.

More and more people are texting everyday, and they don't seem to have a problem doing it on their iPhone/Android device.

Sorry RIM... what else ya got?
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-14-12 09:18 AM
    Agreed.

If BBM were that important, there wouldn't be an exodus of people leaving BB for device that don't have BBM. It becomes even less important when there's fewer and fewer people owning a BB thus less BBM contacts.

More and more people are texting everyday, and they don't seem to have a problem doing it on their iPhone/Android device.

Sorry RIM... what else ya got?
    Texting is only half of it. With so many really good cross-platform messaging applications that allow you to communicate with others regardless of the device they use BBM seems even less of a selling point.
    08-14-12 09:23 AM
    Speaking only for myself, all those other cross platform messaging apps and sms texting are missing the 'crack' that makes a crackberry. Somehow, for some reason, its just not the same.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    08-14-12 09:57 AM
    Speaking only for myself, all those other cross platform messaging apps and sms texting are missing the 'crack' that makes a crackberry. Somehow, for some reason, its just not the same.
    +1

For me too ^ what he said.

Also, for me, part of the fun is in the typing...just saying.
    08-14-12 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD