09-25-14 10:07 AM
45 12
tools
    Even if BlackBerry was doing amazingly they will still sometimes lose customers. It's the nature of business. They've picked up some too in recent times. It's the overall ledger that matters.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. BlackBerry has expected to continue to lose customers during their turnaround. As long as they can return to profitability - which they are projected to do by the end of this fiscal year - that is all that really matters.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-26-14 12:50 PM
    Being that ESPN is a Disney company and Disney being firstly an Apple supporter ( at least from an apps perspective) this shouldn't really be a surprise. I also believe the Disney CEO sits on the Apple board. So tons of 'ties', surprise it took this long to ditch BB.
    08-26-14 01:18 PM
    Who cares ESPN is garbage. Never used the app and frankly I don't watch the channel either. I know we can't just keep saying that about every corporate client but this one is not a big loss. Hopefully they get hacked and its not a matter of if its a matter of when.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-26-14 02:23 PM
    I suspect they are shutting down their BES 5 server and not upgrading to Bes 10 or BES 12. Regardless, For those employees who want to use BB10 devices, I suspect they can connect securely if they are using an MDM or simply active sync as BB10 devices don't need any special support to function. BlackBerry opened up their API's to certain MDM vendors so that BB10 devices can be secured on their systems.

I don't work at ESPN but that's my guess.
    08-26-14 02:40 PM
    I always knew that ESPN was a mickey mouse outfit, mainly when they do a goofy decision like this. Sorry, I just couldn't pass it.
    08-26-14 05:42 PM
    it all started when Adam Schefter left Blackberrry for iOS.
    Flatman and ediggity like this.
    08-26-14 06:27 PM
    This will ebb and flow a bit as BlackBerry stabilizes itself. Where I work (60,000+ person big American company), we are (were?) phasing out our BES service. This means no new BlackBerry devices, and existing users are encouraged to choose from the current corporate standard which is iPhone 5S with "Good" software, with no support for BES at all after Jan 31, 2015. This was a decision taken during the "For Sale" period under Heins.

But lately things are changing a little now that BB isn't bleeding as much money. I got a promotion recently, which makes it a little bit harder for our mobile ops guys to refuse my requests. I asked again for a BlackBerry. This time the answer wasn't a flat no, they actually gave me a new 9930! That's a start.

No support for BB10 yet (we never upgraded our BES), but suddenly now BES12 is on the table again for discussion, and the Jan 31 deadline is now a "currently scheduled for Jan 31" deadline. That's progress.

Why am I pushing so hard? Because as much as I am a big critic of BlackBerry, "Good" is completely useless. I would rather deal with battery pulls and secure wipes and the hourglass than deal with Good. I think someone will eventually make a proper email/calendar client for iOS and Android (maybe BlackBerry?). Until then I'll take the 9930, please.

So all is not lost on the corporate front for BB, far from it in fact. Mostly because Good is a terrible competitor, which is keeping the door at least slightly ajar still for BlackBerry.
    08-26-14 06:39 PM
    Being that ESPN is a Disney company and Disney being firstly an Apple supporter ( at least from an apps perspective) this shouldn't really be a surprise. I also believe the Disney CEO sits on the Apple board. So tons of 'ties', surprise it took this long to ditch BB.
    And John Chen, BlackBerry's CEO, is on Disney's Board. That's probably why BlackBerry recently got some Disney apps and BBM stickers. I'm sure there will be some give and take. Apple probably won't walk away with everything.
    undone and ediggity like this.
    08-26-14 06:48 PM
    When Disney bought Pixar I believe Steve Jobs became Disney's largest share holder, I think his widow is now.
    08-26-14 06:57 PM
    Sad, yes, but I can't say I'm surprised.
    Isn't this the EXACT kind of thing that Mr. Chen should be working on? Shouldn't he and his team be doing some SERIOUS Public Relations with these big companies to make sure that Blackberry STOPS losing them?
    08-26-14 08:23 PM
    Isn't this the EXACT kind of thing that Mr. Chen should be working on? Shouldn't he and his team be doing some SERIOUS Public Relations with these big companies to make sure that Blackberry STOPS losing them?
    I'm sure there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. I would be concerned if BlackBerry didn't try to do everything possible to keep them as customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    08-26-14 08:37 PM
    I'm sure there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. I would be concerned if BlackBerry didn't try to do everything possible to keep them as customers.
    We here all know how great the BB10 phones are. We here ALSO have had several sneak peaks at what's to come. If Blackberry was really doing everything they could to keep big companies from leaving... well then I don't think they'd be leaving. They should have a rep going into every one of the companies offices that still use/support BB devices. Once a company leaves, the odds of getting them back are next to none.
    08-26-14 08:40 PM
    Sad, yes, but I can't say I'm surprised.

ESPN is apparently not as concerned with security as other companies need to be.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    Typical response. Anyone leaving BlackBerry isn't concerned with security.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-28-14 06:31 AM
    ESPN has 4000 employees in the US and 7000 globally if my Google-Fu is correct. Do they all get phones?
    08-29-14 06:04 PM
    This will ebb and flow a bit as BlackBerry stabilizes itself. Where I work (60,000+ person big American company), we are (were?) phasing out our BES service. This means no new BlackBerry devices, and existing users are encouraged to choose from the current corporate standard which is iPhone 5S with "Good" software, with no support for BES at all after Jan 31, 2015. This was a decision taken during the "For Sale" period under Heins.

But lately things are changing a little now that BB isn't bleeding as much money. I got a promotion recently, which makes it a little bit harder for our mobile ops guys to refuse my requests. I asked again for a BlackBerry. This time the answer wasn't a flat no, they actually gave me a new 9930! That's a start.

No support for BB10 yet (we never upgraded our BES), but suddenly now BES12 is on the table again for discussion, and the Jan 31 deadline is now a "currently scheduled for Jan 31" deadline. That's progress.

Why am I pushing so hard? Because as much as I am a big critic of BlackBerry, "Good" is completely useless. I would rather deal with battery pulls and secure wipes and the hourglass than deal with Good. I think someone will eventually make a proper email/calendar client for iOS and Android (maybe BlackBerry?). Until then I'll take the 9930, please.

So all is not lost on the corporate front for BB, far from it in fact. Mostly because Good is a terrible competitor, which is keeping the door at least slightly ajar still for BlackBerry.
    I have also talked with an IT person from a local major company who is using iPhones and the "Good" services and they hate it. They are also looking at going back to BlackBerry.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    08-30-14 10:13 PM
    I have also talked with an IT person from a local major company who is using iPhones and the "Good" services and they hate it. They are also looking at going back to BlackBerry.
    Yeah, I love my new 9930 over Good. It's not that the 9930 is better than the 5S I was using, it's that BES is way better than Good. I'll likely just carry the new iPhone 6 and the 9930 as my main two devices for the next year.

Good's software development is definitely still substandard (improving, yes, but still substandard). That leaves a nice opportunity for BlackBerry to make a comeback if they can take advantage of it.
    08-31-14 06:49 PM
    Wait!! Schefter let blackberry? I had not heard this. He was a huge advocate of blackberry and praised them numerous times in interviews when asked.

Edit: Found thishttp://www.shermanreport.com/adam-schefter-on-twitter-credit-issues-being-first-and-setting-record-straight-on-not-taking-vacations/

Seems he using the iPhone and blackberry to keep information flowing.
    09-06-14 12:24 PM
    It's over

G's Z30
    09-07-14 01:26 PM
    Who cares ESPN is garbage. Never used the app and frankly I don't watch the channel either. I know we can't just keep saying that about every corporate client but this one is not a big loss. Hopefully they get hacked and its not a matter of if its a matter of when.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Really? Hoping a company gets hacked just because you don't like their decision to leave BlackBerry? Is it a wonder why so many people think BlackBerry users are fanaticals.

techvisor and BB_Junky like this.
    09-08-14 11:21 PM
    Really? Hoping a company gets hacked just because you don't like their decision to leave BlackBerry? Is it a wonder why so many people think BlackBerry users are fanaticals.

Exactly, they have to realize that not everyone out there shares their worship of blackberry.

Sent from my super cool shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by BB_Junky; 09-25-14 at 12:22 PM.
    09-25-14 10:07 AM
45 12