EPIC FAIL: Los Angeles high schools now confiscate all free iPads they gave students
    LAUSD should have issued them PlayBooks instead. It would have been cheaper and the kids would have a tougher time to hack them. The ones that could hack them could be recruited to work for the NSA.
    10-02-13 03:07 PM
    EPIC FAIL: Los Angeles high schools now confiscate all free iPads they gave students
    LAUSD should have issued them PlayBooks instead. It would have been cheaper and the kids would have a tougher time to hack them. The ones that could hack them could be recruited to work for the NSA.
    "Another 71 kids ostensibly lost their iPads just as immediately."
    10-02-13 03:15 PM
    Didn't know that the PlayBook had setting to limit the types of apps installed. Other than the fact that apps like the one shown are not available

I've seen other installation similar to this... think it is a failure of the IT department and their implementation, more than a device failure.
    10-02-13 03:16 PM
    Confiscate is a little dramatic. The devices belong to the school system aren't supposed to leave the school so saying that they were confiscated is like saying the IT department confiscated my desktop to work on it.
    10-02-13 03:25 PM
    Confiscate is a little dramatic. The devices belong to the school system aren't supposed to leave the school so saying that they were confiscated is like saying the IT department confiscated my desktop to work on it.
    Read the last paragraph of the article. The devices are intended to be brought home.
    10-02-13 09:15 PM
    "The hacking was far from rocket science for the tech-savvy students. Bypassing the security settings imposed by school officials took no more than a few simple clicks." - and it is Apple fault then...

Posted via Z10
    10-02-13 09:31 PM
    Didn't know that the PlayBook had setting to limit the types of apps installed. Other than the fact that apps like the one shown are not available

I've seen other installation similar to this... think it is a failure of the IT department and their implementation, more than a device failure.
    Playbook can be controlled by BES10. We have a few dozen Playbooks locked down using BES10. This would have solved the problem.
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    10-02-13 09:54 PM
    BlackBerry - now make some good press and send the few last thousand PB to LA, by God you needs the good press!
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    10-02-13 10:38 PM
    Lol. Serves the board and its parents right for such a stupid and expensive initiative. I don't know how anyone learned anything before the touchscreen tablet was invented...

$700 a pop is not chump change when it comes to education. I can think of much better ways to improve a child's education with that money and none of them involve more computer time.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler and len pothier like this.
    10-02-13 11:23 PM
    School district officials apparently believe the problem is temporary and that they will somehow find a way to prevent high school kids from using their school-issued iPads in exactly the way Apple designed iPads to be used.
    That has to be the funniest thing i've seen all week.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-13 01:54 AM
    More of a fail for the LAUSD than anything else, no?

It certainly won't do much to stop e numerous other iPad deployments in schools that are underway or planned, in Europe as well as the US.

My sons school and another nearby grade school are rolling out iPads for all students from the third grade and up, in fact.

While I get your schadenfreude, Playbooks weren't even a consideration for schools, since there are almost no educational apps, compared to what's available for iPads.
    10-03-13 04:08 AM
    There are a few solutions that would allow this but department to place the iPad into a kiosk mode. However, there is nothing to stop the end user from doing a master rest to blow off the kiosk profile. Unless the payload could be made in such a way to prevent a master reset.

Even with the suggestions I mentioned the group would run into a cost issue. The support needed to manage the MDM side would be high. They would need CALs and a dedicated team to manage the devices. I don't think that group thought this through wing to wing. I take it there aren't any six sigma trained staff in the IT department.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 04:17 AM
    Playbook can be controlled by BES10. We have a few dozen Playbooks locked down using BES10. This would have solved the problem.
    I have one of those locked down on my BES10 server. For a school the PlayBook would have been a locked down and totally secure but near useless paper weight. It's too small for reading documents, the document reader/editor apps are poor, and the apps that education uses to assist learning are nonexistent.

I still use my PlayBook for watching videos (non educational) and I like it but there is no point to a secure tablet that nobody can use for anything useful beyond email, calendar and slow website browsing.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 04:22 AM
    I would say its more of the wrong implementation of technology for the wrong usage of education purposes.

There are many better ways to do it, but somebody apparently sold the idea to these schools that its glamourous to be totting ipads for educational purposes, and when the policy is poorly executed, everyone from top-down should be blamed.
    10-03-13 04:28 AM
    I have one of those locked down on my BES10 server. For a school the PlayBook would have been a locked down and totally secure but near useless paper weight. It's too small for reading documents, the document reader/editor apps are poor, and the apps that education uses to assist learning are nonexistent.

I still use my PlayBook for watching videos (non educational) and I like it but there is no point to a secure tablet that nobody can use for anything useful beyond email, calendar and slow website browsing.

Posted via CB10
    Especially when email usage for that generation is virtually non-existent.
    10-03-13 04:29 AM
    Or of course, they could just use the logical solution that the local schools here use... Not lock down the browser.

(The problem in LA was that the students couldn't go on websites they were interested in, that's why they "hacked" them.)

What's the harm in students using their iPads to check their Gmail or go on Facebook in recess or at home?

It's easy enough to keep an eye on what the kids are doing in class, and see that a student is furiouslybtapping away instaad of reading. And if occasionally a student would check his mail in class, what's the harm? Traditional textbooks can be used for scribbling and writing messages to the person sitting next to you, you don't see schools confiscating them because of that.

It was a reactionary, overly restrictive and old fashioned IT policy in LAUSD that caused the problem, not the device or implementation itself.
    10-03-13 04:59 AM
    BlackBerry could easily have designed a thinner version, with a form factor suitable for high resolution display of the equivalent of a 8.5x11 sheet of paper, of the BlackBerry PlayBook and included a leather case with Bluetooth mini-keyboard (with an ESCape stupid) and marketed it to educational institutions, medical facilities, and other organizations. The tablet could be WiFi only with complete bridge capability to a BlackBerry smartphone for teachers and other professionals. But remember Thorsten Heins emphatically stated "tablets will be dead in five years".
    10-03-13 07:58 AM
    Or of course, they could just use the logical solution that the local schools here use... Not lock down the browser.

(The problem in LA was that the students couldn't go on websites they were interested in, that's why they "hacked" them.)

What's the harm in students using their iPads to check their Gmail or go on Facebook in recess or at home?

It's easy enough to keep an eye on what the kids are doing in class, and see that a student is furiouslybtapping away instaad of reading. And if occasionally a student would check his mail in class, what's the harm? Traditional textbooks can be used for scribbling and writing messages to the person sitting next to you, you don't see schools confiscating them because of that.

It was a reactionary, overly restrictive and old fashioned IT policy in LAUSD that caused the problem, not the device or implementation itself.
    If it's fine for them to check email etc then why isn't it fine for them to bring out their phone and check their email? What's the difference?
    10-03-13 08:08 AM
    BlackBerry - now make some good press and send the few last thousand PB to LA, by God you needs the good press!
    Lol, this would not end well. The main of goal is to give students the best tools available. The pb is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-03-13 08:09 AM
    If it's fine for them to check email etc then why isn't it fine for them to bring out their phone and check their email? What's the difference?
    I don't really see your point...
    Theres little difference, besides the fact that a school issued tablet is a device the student has out most of the time, and is using during class, and a cellphone is usually turned off or kept in the pocket.

Kids in my local high school and middle school are allowed to bring phones to school, as long as they're off or on silent during classes.

We haven't heard about major problems with iPad deployment in schools before, the reason it happened in LA was because overzealous school administrators fundamentally unaccustomed to technology, handled the topic with the same elegance an elephant would usually exhibit in a fine china store.

The kids wanted to be able to go on "unapproved" websites during recess and at home. Big deal, let them. Just with the understanding that if the iPads are abused during class, it'll have consequences.
    10-03-13 10:33 AM
    Ok right- and schools have the money to pay for BES.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 10:43 AM
    I don't really see your point...
    Theres little difference, besides the fact that a school issued tablet is a device the student has out most of the time, and is using during class, and a cellphone is usually turned off or kept in the pocket.

Kids in my local high school and middle school are allowed to bring phones to school, as long as they're off or on silent during classes.

We haven't heard about major problems with iPad deployment in schools before, the reason it happened in LA was because overzealous school administrators fundamentally unaccustomed to technology, handled the topic with the same elegance an elephant would usually exhibit in a fine china store.

The kids wanted to be able to go on "unapproved" websites during recess and at home. Big deal, let them. Just with the understanding that if the iPads are abused during class, it'll have consequences.
    I agree except you thinking it's acceptable to check personal email while in class just because it's a school tool and not a phone. If it's acceptable to do it on your tablet it should be acceptable to do it on your phone. What is the next thing that will be acceptable just because they already have an ipad? Playing angry birds for a minute or two? IMing friends?
    10-03-13 10:49 AM
    A deeper read beyond the sensationalist headline.

What's behind the iPad hack at Los Angeles high schools? | PCWorld
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-13 10:50 AM