02-04-14 04:52 AM
243 ... 34567 ...
tools
    It's also the same people over and over again constantly going on offensives saying how much better BB10 is than everything and how everything else sucks. It goes both ways.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    I agree, but then again I haven't seen anyone in this thread really say any other os sucks. Only people saying bb10 having apk compatibility does, when that's only there opinion.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    01-28-14 05:41 PM
    You as an android user might think it's pathetic that bb10 runs android apps, while others think it's an innovative feature.

I could say it's pathetic that Htc, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc all have to use a free os and compete on specs because they don't have the skill base to write there own os, but I dont. (this is an example)

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Toodeurep and BlackQtCoder like this.
    01-28-14 05:45 PM
    IMO

There was no way BlackBerry could announce Android apk compatibility. They would have been better served by an actual Android device if they did. While the runtime may function with a large percentage of applications, actual support is still 0.

Making any major announcement about sideloading right now would kill BlackBerry.
    01-28-14 05:47 PM
    BBM doesn't matter to a bunch of kids with iPhone. That's my point. One person will not try to force something new a group of people. It's much easier to just join the pack and move on.

Nevermind that is hardly the true advantage of the iOS ecosystem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I understand your thought, but if what you say is true, then why would any company try anything new? The truth of the matter is people do get into habits and do follow a crowd, but then something will happen that alters that process. Someone will discover something different and it can become a new fad, then if properly developed and promoted, the fad becomes the "go to" thing. First there was BlackBerry, but then it was Apple everything. Soon Android came along. Apple is waning somewhat, Android is increasing. Windows Phone is in the mix and BlackBerry is seeking to refocus on enterprise with bleed over into consumer. BBM has a long history of quality communication. Though they are late to the cross platform field, there is room for them, especially if they get a quality cross-platform feature like video chat working. Now that, coupled with the fabled security can really open the door for growth.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-28-14 05:47 PM
    You as an android user might think it's pathetic that bb10 runs android apps, while others think it's an innovative feature.

I could say it's pathetic that Htc, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc all have to use a free os and compete on specs because they don't have the skill base to write there own os, but I dont. (this is an example)

Samsung has always had their own OS, and they have Tizen about to come out soon. Also, those Companies also use Windows Phone, which is not Free last I checked.

Is it pathetic that BB had to basically buy their OS because the one they had before was so bad and they didn't have the talent or tech to improve their own? They couldn't even write a decent browser, they had to buy that, too...

Unless you want to hear the other side, please try to keep your emotions in check.

Rello and JeepBB like this.
    01-28-14 05:51 PM
    That is not the issue here. Articles like this are the reason BlackBerry 10 sales have been so poor.
    Not even close. Blackberry's inability to release a great consumer device is the reason why their sales are poor.
    ajst222, kbz1960, Rello and 4 others like this.
    01-28-14 05:52 PM
    I understand your thought, but if what you say is true, then why would any company try anything new? The truth of the matter is people do get into habits and do follow a crowd, but then something will happen that alters that process. Someone will discover something different and it can become a new fad, then if properly developed and promoted, the fad becomes the "go to" thing. First there was BlackBerry, but then it was Apple everything. Soon Android came along. Apple is waning somewhat, Android is increasing. Windows Phone is in the mix and BlackBerry is seeking to refocus on enterprise with bleed over into consumer. BBM has a long history of quality communication. Though they are late to the cross platform field, there is room for them, especially if they get a quality cross-platform feature like video chat working. Now that, coupled with the fabled security can really open the door for growth.
    BBM also has a history of epic outages. Wasn't there one quite recently, and we all know how well the cross platform service is working.

BBM failed to innovate when it mattered. It almost doesn't matter that solutions like FaceTime and Hangouts are platform limited, because their user bases are so large.

BBM is not in a comparable position, or even close.

When BBM was a selling point the CEO said it would never go cross platform.

I have never used video chat. I'd rather them remove the names from the chat bubbles in 1:1 chats so that they weren't wasting half my screen on useless info, personally. UX matters.

01-28-14 05:54 PM
    Samsung has always had their own OS, and they have Tizen about to come out soon. Also, those Companies also use Windows Phone, which is not Free last I checked.

Is it pathetic that BB had to basically buy their OS because the one they had before was so bad and they didn't have the talent or tech to improve their own? They couldn't even write a decent browser, they had to buy that, too...

Unless you want to hear the other side, please try to keep your emotions in check.

As I said I used it as an example of how you guys sound on the thread, so trollish. You can get your opinion across without insulting someone choice of os, or reasons (you think)it's the wrong choice.

Not all those companies use WP, a few do and Sony is just about to test it because they make no money on android with the other 70% of android oems.

If you had ant knowledge on what bbos is built off you would know it was at the end of its lifetime and there was no improving it, let's be real.

Android itself is a bought os, android was a camera os from the early 2000's till Google bought them 2005, by which time they were testing it on mobile devices.

Omnitech likes this.
    01-28-14 05:59 PM
    As I said I used it as an example if how you guys sound on the thread. Not all those companies use WP, a few do and Sony is just about to test it because they make no money on android with the other 70% of android oems.

If you had ant knowledge on what bbos is built off you would know it was at the end of its lifetime and there was no improving it, let's be real.

Android itself is a bought os, android was a camera os from the early 2000's till Google bought them 2005, by which time they were testing it on mobile devices.

Doesn't matter. BB bought or licensed a ton of their tech cause they didn't have the talent to do it themselves. You can't argue one way and turn a blind eye.

I don't take "you guys" seriously. I just wanted to point out the oxymoron there.

Yes. GET REAL. Playing the victim is getting old when your post was 100pct bait.

01-28-14 06:04 PM
    Fast-forward to 2014 and you can run and load android apps on your bb10 device and people really try claim it's a bad thing? Lol.

I'm actually happy I have access to snap, amazon, 1mobile and BlackBerry World. I'm glad I have one of the first devices to every run native and android apps.

There is no downside, especially when BlackBerry World fills up and I have access to a extremely large amount of apps.
    I think we all make the mistake of thinking that what is good for a few is good for all. A this point, it is clear that the runtime might be great for tinkerers like us, but there are not enough folks like that to make it a success. I admit: I initially thought that the runtime was a dandy idea.

I believe I was wrong.

Macs running Windows programs is so far different from the Runtime in so many ways that it is not a good reference point, IMHO. I believe the runtime has helped create the current situation.

We can love the runtime, but it is a bit unrealistic to think others will for several tangible reasons.
    JeepBB and n8ter#AC like this.
    01-28-14 06:09 PM
    Doesn't matter. BB bought or licensed a ton of their tech cause they didn't have the talent to do it themselves. You can't argue one way and turn a blind eye.

I don't take "you guys" seriously. I just wanted to point out the oxymoron there.

Yes. GET REAL. Playing the victim is getting old when your post was 100pct bait.

This is all you can come up with? OK lol

Yeah I can since I can name over 10 things Apple bought and licensed/made better, and also 10 companies/products Google bought and did the same including android.

Therefore with your logic Apple, BlackBerry, and Google don't have the talent to do it themselves.

And for the record no one's playing the victim lol

01-28-14 06:09 PM

Or because it was quicker than starting from scratch. They were already very very late to the party...
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-28-14 06:10 PM
    Or because it was quicker than starting from scratch. They were already very very late to the party...
    Same could be said for those the poster mentioned. Follow the flow of the convo, please.

Didn't hurt Microsoft, BTW. They used Windows CE and then transitioned to NT, using pretty much all in house tech and talent.

JeepBB likes this.
    01-28-14 06:11 PM
    I think we all make the mistake of thinking that what is good for a few is good for all. A this point, it is clear that the runtime might be great for tinkerers like us, but there are not enough folks like that to make it a success. I admit: I thought that the runtime was a dandy idea.

I believe I was wrong.

Macs running Windows programs is so far different from the Runtime in so many ways that it is not a good reference point, IMHO. I believe the runtime has helped create the current situation.
    The runtime time did help create the situation. It was a terrible decision and people here are too "in their bubble to see" the real issue with it.

JeepBB likes this.
    01-28-14 06:12 PM
    I think we all make the mistake of thinking that what is good for a few is good for all. A this point, it is clear that the runtime might be great for tinkerers like us, but there are not enough folks like that to make it a success. I admit: I thought that the runtime was a dandy idea.

I believe I was wrong.

I agree with part of your post, for some it's good others might not be, but given that I can run any app at need at the moment it's generally a plus for most bb10 users and the runtime will possiblyserve a better purpose in time. If amazon can have its own app-store what's stopping BlackBerry from having apks submitted to BlackBerry World(which there gonna be doing). Having native apps and android apps is a plus to me because I use all platforms, some will be like me others not so much.

I never said all users will like it, even in this post I stated some, and right now it's more a advantage then disadvantage for users. As they now have Instagram, vine, etc.

01-28-14 06:14 PM
    The runtime time did help create the situation. It was a terrible decision and people here are too "in their bubble to see" the real issue with it.

The good ol runtime. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems.
    01-28-14 06:15 PM
    The good ol runtime. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems.
    I've said this since the beginning.

Use search on my post history. My stance has remained unchanged on that runtime.

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-14 06:15 PM

In your opinion

And I didn't come here to agrue just to point out that what some of you feel is wrong is purely your opinion. If it wasn't then you would be running this Christmas Illinois dollar company.

01-28-14 06:16 PM
    In your opinion

Market seems to agree more with me than you.

No longer dialoging with you as you're only here to bait and switch, BTW. Bye to you.

01-28-14 06:17 PM
    ]I understand your thought, but if what you say is true, then why would any company try anything new? [/B] The truth of the matter is people do get into habits and do follow a crowd, but then something will happen that alters that process. Someone will discover something different and it can become a new fad, then if properly developed and promoted, the fad becomes the "go to" thing. First there was BlackBerry, but then it was Apple everything. Soon Android came along. Apple is waning somewhat, Android is increasing. Windows Phone is in the mix and BlackBerry is seeking to refocus on enterprise with bleed over into consumer. BBM has a long history of quality communication. Though they are late to the cross platform field, there is room for them, especially if they get a quality cross-platform feature like video chat working. Now that, coupled with the fabled security can really open the door for growth.
    I completely understand your point.

The key thing, i think, is trying something new before you have to. I think that's what Apple did (mostly) with the iPhone. Google saw which way the wind was blowing, and stumbled backwards into mobile success. Those two companies took over the industry in which BBRY was undisputed landlord before they needed to. of course, it helps the mobile devices were not their core competencies at the time of entry, so they had room to tapdance a bit.

BB10 (and WP8) came somewhat late. Neither is too late, IMHO, but I do believe their divergent positions show what a difference in ecosystem and patience of approach can produce.
    01-28-14 06:21 PM
    Market seems to agree more with me than you.

No longer dialoging with you as you're only here to bait and switch, BTW. Bye to you.

Bait and switch what are you talking about? Sorry you can't reply to my factual replies to you.

Bb10 has so many reasons it failed, and none have to do with the Android runtime.

- App availability
    - bad marketing
    - bad management
    - os release delays
    - no carrier support
    - brand perception
    - tech blogs saying is out of business
    And so much more.

Not to mention bb10 is 1 year old still, WP is just picking now after 3 years. Iphone took 2.5 years and android aswell. Only a fool would have expect bb10 to sell 30-50 million devices this year, an ***** like Thor.

Omnitech and Toodeurep like this.
    01-28-14 06:22 PM
    You don't get it. I'm not saying it is influencing your buying decisions, I'm saying it might. I don't know you so I can't be sure. All I know is that there are people like you and me reading these tech blogs and giving people advice. Some of us (I think most of us) might be influenced by sites like this. All those angry comments saying "BlackBerry should just die already" or "BlackBerry is a joke" are from people like us. They give people advice based on their feelings, not on facts.

And of course people are not interested in buying or even trying a BlackBerry 10 device. To them BlackBerry are dead or dying. It doesn't matter what BlackBerry 10 can or can not do. When I was trying to find a Z30 in stock I had to sales reps telling me not to buy a BlackBerry because the company is almost dead. They didn't say anything about apps or features. Isn't the media to blame for this?
    Does reading engaget influence you?
    01-28-14 06:27 PM
    I agree with part of your post, for some it's good others might not be, but given that I can run any app at need at the moment it's generally a plus for most bb10 users and the runtime will possiblyserve a better purpose in time. If amazon can have its own app-store what's stopping BlackBerry from having apks submitted to BlackBerry World(which there gonna be doing). Having native apps and android apps is a plus to me because I use all platforms, some will be like me others not so much.

I never said all users will like it, even in this post I stated some, and right now it's more a advantage then disadvantage for users. As they now have Instagram, vine, etc.

BBRY having it's own apk store is great in theory, but tougher in practice. The Amazon appstore pales in comparison to Google Play, for one. Then, you have to also remember Amazon supposedly discounts the Kindles o serve as a gateway to services. Even though it has a wekaer app ecosystem, it has great content services (Amazon Prime Video) that helps keep people anchored.

So, while it is great, BBRY would have to have LICENSED apps deposited in its apk appstore (and attracting Android devs has not been the easiest task), have good, easily accessible content, and probably have cheap hardware.

For reference, B&N did great with its last set of Nook tablets hardware-wise. Had its own store and everything. Didn't work out, IMHO, because it didn't have Amazon's reach. In the end, it gave in to Google Play.
    01-28-14 06:28 PM
    Does reading engaget influence you?
    Exactly.

There seem to be some who think every one else in the world is but a dandelion, subject to the dastardly winds of passing rumor and conjecture.
    JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-28-14 06:32 PM
    BBRY having it's own apk store is great in theory, but tougher in practice. The Amazon appstore pales in comparison to Google Play, for one. Then, you have to also remember Amazon supposedly discounts the Kindles o serve as a gateway to services. Even though it has a wekaer app ecosystem, it has great content services (Amazon Prime Video) that helps keep people anchored.

So, while it is great, BBRY would have to have LICENSED apps deposited in its apk appstore (and attracting Android devs has not been the easiest task), have good, easily accessible content, and probably have cheap hardware.

For reference, B&N did great with its last set of Nook tablets hardware-wise. Had its own store and everything. Didn't work out, IMHO, because it didn't have Amazon's reach. In the end, it gave in to Google Play.
    Will have to agree to disagree, because all you state I actually think is a plus. Yes I will have less android apps, but I'll have easy access to those and my native apps. Choice is what BlackBerry is offering there (and what android fans cheer about). There allowing users to get 60% Off the Android experience without having to own a android or leave your BlackBerry.

Without the runtime I currently wouldn't have Instagram, thumler, vine, vidpostplay, songza, dhgate, and many apps i use daiky.for my.business and business dealings.

As a consumer and user of bb10, the runtime has been great and served my needs.

BlackBerry World could be in a better place if there was no runtime, but at the same time it could be in a even worse position and not have the ability to run apks at all.

Last edited by SDTRMG; 01-28-14 at 06:47 PM.
    01-28-14 06:36 PM
243 ... 34567 ...