Nice to see the Q10 and Z30 in there...

The top 15 smartphones you can buy right now
    07-18-14 05:50 PM
    Lots of people bashing and defending BlackBerry in the comments. I thought it was funny to see one guy sing praises for the Maxx's battery life while making fun of BlackBerry. When Motorola can make a phone that lasts longer than six months I'll gladly purchase one. 70% of my time at work is spent troubleshooting those junk phones.

Posted via CB10
    Lofti1 likes this.
    07-19-14 12:34 AM
    If you read the article, you'll discover that the list includes the top picks from each mobile OS. So they sorda had to include the Q10 and Z30 by default.
    anon5645485 likes this.
    07-19-14 05:19 PM
    If you read the article, you'll discover that the list includes the top picks from each mobile OS. So they sorda had to include the Q10 and Z30 by default.
    Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. But I suppose it's good they still get mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-19-14 08:01 PM
    Lots of people bashing and defending BlackBerry in the comments. I thought it was funny to see one guy sing praises for the Maxx's battery life while making fun of BlackBerry. When Motorola can make a phone that lasts longer than six months I'll gladly purchase one. 70% of my time at work is spent troubleshooting those junk phones.

Posted via CB10
    I have a Droid Maxx. Ive had it since last year. No problems and still last me two days without charging,
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-19-14 08:04 PM
    Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. But I suppose it's good they still get mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    True, definitely better than failing to mention BB10 at all.
    07-19-14 08:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Weird that he would be bashing BB since his phone is very similarly spec-ed with the Z30. Some of the comments in Android Central about the Droid Maxx look an awful like the ones people make here in CB about the Z30 as far as how great it works without the latest and greatest specs, how it doesn't need the best specs, ect... I very heavily considered a Droid Maxx before getting a Z30.
    07-19-14 10:42 PM
    Poor Engadget just can't win, can they?

Don't mention BB, they are TEH BIASED EVUL.

Mention BB, "oh they only mentioned it because they had to".

There's just no pleasing people.
    07-20-14 05:27 PM
    Engadget's been one of the few major tech sites around that still fairly actively discusses BB. They aren't particularly fond of the company but I don't see the same hateful propaganda that the Verge/Topolsky spews out.

Hell they bothered to port their app over to BB World which is quite the statement given how many companies don't even try. Reader comments shouldn't be representative of a website's content, trolls will be trolls.
    07-20-14 08:40 PM
    LOL @ the 4 windows phones... I agree the two of them should be there. I don't think the lower two should though. Engadget boosting for Microsoft as per usual...smh
    07-21-14 01:01 PM
    LOL @ the 4 windows phones... I agree the two of them should be there. I don't think the lower two should though. Engadget boosting for Microsoft as per usual...smh
    I don't understand why you feel that way. So what, if a phone isn't expensive and high-end than no one should buy it?

I can't speak about the other one, but I own a Lumia 521 and for the price it is a great little device that offers a very good WP8 experience. It's so good that it has cannibalized the sells of Nokia's higher end devices and played a huge role in helping Microsoft capture 3rd place from BlackBerry.

You must also think that the Moto G doesn't deserve to exist on that list...
    07-21-14 01:42 PM
    No I think there's way better phones than the Lumia 521 that should be on there like the one plus one phone among others. It's just extremely funny seeing Engadget shove WP in literally every post. Also the fact only two Samsung devices are on that list yet basically the entire WP lineup is on there.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Witmen likes this.
    07-21-14 02:42 PM
    No I think there's way better phones than the Lumia 521 that should be on there like the one plus one phone among others. It's just extremely funny seeing Engadget shove WP in literally every post. Also the fact only two Samsung devices are on that list yet basically the entire WP lineup is on there.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Ahhh, I see what you were saying.

True, about the 4 windows phone devices being in the list is a little crazy, but I'd switch it and drop the more expensive devices they mentioned and keep the affordable devices. People who spend $500+ for a phone can get far better bang for their buck going with other options besides WP8. For example, the OnePlus One. Which definitely should have been on the list. Even though most people still can't buy one yet.
    07-21-14 03:07 PM
    Certainly interesting list. I'm curious if BlackBerry made the list because they wanted a selection from each manufacturer.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-22-14 10:34 PM
    Certainly interesting list. I'm curious if BlackBerry made the list because they wanted a selection from each manufacturer.

The article clearly states that the list is made up of devices from each operating system.
    07-22-14 11:01 PM
    The article clearly states that the list is made up of devices from each operating system.
    Yes I know. I'm wondering if any BlackBerry devices would still have made list of that wasn't the case.

07-22-14 11:23 PM
    Yes I know. I'm wondering if any BlackBerry devices would still have made list of that wasn't the case.

Two ways to see your statement:

1) If BlackBerry had converted to being an e.g. Android manufacturer or used another OS (WP8), would the phones still be in there quality-wise?

2) would the phones be in there in their own right, like, could they compete in an all-out comparison?

Pasted via CB chen
    07-23-14 05:28 AM
    Two ways to see your statement:

1) If BlackBerry had converted to being an e.g. Android manufacturer or used another OS (WP8), would the phones still be in there quality-wise?

2) would the phones be in there in their own right, like, could they compete in an all-out comparison?

Pasted via CB chen
    No, I don't think so. I'm not making a statement. I asked a question. Somewhat of a rhetorical question, but still a question.

Did BlackBerry ONLY make that list because they wanted phones from each manufacturer or would they have anyway based on merits of the devices? I don't know. It's hard to say.

Last edited by crazigee; 07-23-14 at 03:59 PM.
    07-23-14 11:40 AM
    I think there are a few devices that should make a list of the top 15 best smart phones right now, but aren't on that list because of the whole "each OS" situation. For example, the OnePlus One isn't one of the best phones around right now, but 4 Nokias and 2 BlackBerrys are? Not saying any of their picks are bad, but come on now.

This is what Engadget had to say about the OnePlus One in their review:

For $300, no other phone comes close to what the OnePlus One offers. Not only does it look and feel like a premium device, but it also comes with specs similar to what you'd find in a flagship smartphone. If you want a high-end phone on a budget, look no further.
    After saying all that, you'd think they would put it in the list of the top 15 smartphones out there. I think it is pretty obvious that they have a few entries in that list that are there only because they needed to represent an OS.
    07-23-14 01:49 PM
    You need an invite to purchase one though...
    I believe it was left out due to it's difficulty of purchase...
    All the other phones you can find in store
    07-23-14 03:51 PM
    I think there are a few devices that should make a list of the top 15 best smart phones right now, but aren't on that list because of the whole "each OS" situation. For example, the OnePlus One isn't one of the best phones around right now, but 4 Nokias and 2 BlackBerrys are? Not saying any of their picks are bad, but come on now.

This is what Engadget had to say about the OnePlus One in their review:

After saying all that, you'd think they would put it in the list of the top 15 smartphones out there. I think it is pretty obvious that they have a few entries in that list that are there only because they needed to represent an OS.
    Exactly.

07-23-14 06:24 PM