None of the articles I've read recently seem to indicate that anybody is interested in buying the whole company and keeping the handset business going. Anyone that is interested only wants to buy parts if the company. So it this the of the road for "Sent from my BlackBerry handheld"? What a sad turn of events.
    10-12-13 05:54 AM
    We shall know sooner or later.
    10-12-13 06:46 AM
    So it this the of the road for "Sent from my BlackBerry handheld"? What a sad turn of events.
    Whilst your existing phone isn't going to cease working as the ink dries on a BB takeover document, I reckon the end of the road lies ahead, yes.

I've similarly seen the lack of interest in taking on the hardware business, and it's hard to blame the potential buyers for that attitude. If BB can't make and sell BB10 phones to turn a profit, then it would be a brave buyer who would think they could do better.

If the "Sent from my BlackBerry handheld" matters enormously, then I'd be tempted to buy a few cheap Z10's and keep them as spares. I can't see any new BB handsets after the Z30 being produced.
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-12-13 07:37 AM
    I hate to think that my Z will be my last BlackBerry. I just can't imagine that.
    10-12-13 07:44 AM
    Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a z30 if you can find one...they'll be worth a fortune in 4-5 years when BB is long gone.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    10-12-13 08:42 AM
    I think at least all current BB phones will be without support if breaks up and gets sold in parts. There wouldn't be any reason for the new owner (if there is one at all) to keep supporting the devices with any updates.

A few months ago I was kind of looking forward to what we'll see with 10.3 or maybe even a revamped BB11. But as of now, with all the latest news and developments my faith of continuing software support gets smaller week by week. I'd even say I almost reached the point where I have to admit the official 10.2 release will be the last big thing for the current BB line-up.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-12-13 09:14 AM
    Since no one knows for sure what will happen after BlackBerry is acquired, because there are too many scenarios that could possibly happen, to count, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope blindly that this is not the end for BlackBerry handsets.
    10-12-13 09:55 AM
    Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a z30 if you can find one...they'll be worth a fortune in 4-5 years when BB is long gone.

I doubt it. The speed at which tech is moving is just too fast. It will be akin to having a NIB flip phone in today's world
    10-12-13 01:10 PM
    Ohh Lord!!!
    Still the same ****?
    Mods please do something,
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-12-13 01:20 PM
    Just read the dozens of threads asking the same question and form your own opinion. Because really all we have are guesses. No one knows the answer.
    10-12-13 01:27 PM
    I don't believe the handset business will survive as it is. Hardware is very low margin and model turnover too rapid. It's very difficult for an established independent company without diversification to keep such a thing going in this market, particularly since there is a lot of competition from small Chinese, Indian, etc. companies that are much leaner and rapid in execution. This is not to say it is impossible but at best I think it would be a very specialized niche market that would make their handsets unattractive/unattainable for the consumer at large.
    10-12-13 01:37 PM
    BB10 forever I hope.

If Mike L takes over. He is well known to want to keep the handset division.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 02:22 PM
    BB still has a market. It might be small but they do have a market. I'm keeping hope alive!
    10-12-13 02:29 PM
    Op, why don't you turn the thread into a poll?
    10-12-13 04:16 PM
    This concerns me too. But remember Mike L. Is interested in buying.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    10-12-13 04:29 PM
    They won't even work as PHONES in 5 (or even 3) years. The industry will be pushing VoLTE (Voice over LTE), and moving voice calls off the legacy GSM and CDMA frequencies, so that those freqs can be redeployed for wider LTE. The days of dedicated voice frequencies are soon to be over; soon all cellular comms will be "data", meaning, all out of the same data pool.

NONE of the phones we have today will work, just like old analog cell phones don't work today. You'll see the first VoLTE phones rolling out next year. The usable lifespan of any existing cell phone is 4-5 years from today, max, for this reason.
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    10-12-13 05:43 PM
    If Mike buys BlackBerry there is a good chance hardware survive in some form. If Fairfax then I say no chance.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 06:46 PM
    With all of the doom and gloom articles written in the last 4 years about BlackBerry, they are still around and the last company comment I heard was they had 4 phones coming out next year. They also would consider offers and or a partnership of sorts. They have 1 offer as of now, others are not confirmed. They may go under or be broken up, that remains to be seen. I would hope they continue producing products.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 07:21 PM
    I think we all need to relax a bit. BlackBerry is NOT going anywhere. At the very least, change of ownership and into a niche market. I cannot believe a company of this magnitude, global presence, AND still heavily entrenched in enterprise to just simply dismantle and disappear. Im trying very hard to picture the opposite and I can't even despite ALL the contrary. I will admit however that they are in serious trouble and precarious position, but they are also in a very unique position as well. Laugh all you want but they still command a global following and very solid and proven security network. When Rogers finally gets the Z30 i"ll be on it.
    10-12-13 07:59 PM
    I doubt it. The speed at which tech is moving is just too fast. It will be akin to having a NIB flip phone in today's world
    That's different than owning the last phone a once major cell company produced.

10-12-13 08:07 PM
    That's different than owning the last phone a once major cell company produced.

Stock up on palm pres
    10-12-13 08:42 PM