02-14-15 11:36 PM
134 ... 456
tools
    While I appreciate the frankness of your answer, I am referring to changing my personal view. I want to see for myself if Android is actually superior in a significant way or if the difference is influenced by advertisement.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 05:17 PM
    While I appreciate the frankness of your answer, I am referring to changing my personal view. I want to see for myself if Android is actually superior in a significant way or if the difference is influenced by advertisement.

Posted via CB10
    Personally, I don't think any OS has any inherent, killer advantage over the other. I don't believe BB10 can't handle major stuff. I do believe the ecosystem is what iOS and Android have the advantage in, and that is all that matters.

Same goes for WP8. Fine OS, just needs a bigger third-party footprint.
    ADGrant, ubizmo and JeepBB like this.
    02-14-15 05:39 PM
    I assert the reasons why Netflix is not allowing THE MOST SECURE mobile OS to have a native Netflix app nor port over the Android version IS NOT because the content owners are worried about BlackBerry security. Every $50 BluRay player STILL has netflix on it.

my point: the reasons are fishy, not necessarily explained by more than 'Netflix executive is capricious when it comes to mobile OS support', and fiscal considerations don't bear scrutiny. There are millions of active BB10 devices. That's a significant number: in a world when one developer can build a full-featured Instagram or SnapChat app, the cost of development also doesn't hold up as a reason NETFLIX et. al have rejected the idea of native BB10 support.
    Posted via CB10
    There are a lot more budget BluRay players in existence than BB10 devices. The point that BB is the most secure mobile device has zero bearing on the issue. What the content owners DO care about, is the possibility of 3rd party apps being able to access their controlled DRM content. BB can be as secure as anybody can possibly make it. However, a 3rd party app will always be able to circumvent that security. Which is a point you are actively choosing to overlook. And when you reference that there are "millions of active BB10 devices"... that's a bit of a stretch, especially when you account for how many are current Netflix subscribers, and after that, how many would actually become "new" Netflix users. You can't cook the numbers to reflect that every BB user would suddenly become a Netflix subscriber, especially when considering what percentage of BB owners are probably already current subscribers and therefore not "new" subscribers.

Realistically, the only real argument Netflix would ever conceivably listen to, would be how many subscribers that they would actually LOSE if the DIDN'T develop a BB app. Which at this point in time, would be so negligible they wouldn't care. Case in point... a year or two ago when this forum alone made a big stink about boycotting Netflix, predicted how Netflix would go into the toilet.... and look at how that worked out. Netflix is at the highest point ever.

I know it will probably suck to hear... but realistically... Netflix couldn't care less about the BB platform at this point and time. It's not because they're "Anti Blackberry". It's because BB simply has nothing to offer them. Would you like to see that change? The only way that will change is if BB makes their presence relevant again. Nobody can force companies like Netflix to conform to their personal desires simply because they feel their own personal requirements are somehow entitled to be met.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 02-14-15 at 06:23 PM.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    02-14-15 05:55 PM
    my point: the reasons are fishy, not necessarily explained by more than 'Netflix executive is capricious when it comes to mobile OS support', and fiscal considerations don't bear scrutiny. There are millions of active BB10 devices. That's a significant number: in a world when one developer can build a full-featured Instagram or SnapChat app, the cost of development also doesn't hold up as a reason NETFLIX et. al have rejected the idea of native BB10 support.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, there may be millions of active BB devices, but on how many of them do you think people watch Netflix on (9900s, Q10s, Q5s, or even Classics)? Most of the BB devices are not made for watching videos (even Passport is questionable!). PKB square format phones are not best suited for this purpose, and currently, that plus the Enterprise are where BB itself said they will be heading. Who knows, maybe Netflix and the other missing apps entities were really waiting to see if BB10 takes off and gains market share before developing apps for it, but we all know that this sure hasn't happened (at least not yet). So you see, Netflix hasn't yet seen the signs that BB will be a big market for them!
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-14-15 05:56 PM
    Yes, there may be millions of active BB devices, but on how many of them do you think people watch Netflix on (9900s, Q10s, Q5s, or even Classics)? Most of the BB devices are not made for watching videos (even Passport is questionable!). PKB square format phones are not best suited for this purpose, and currently, that plus the Enterprise are where BB itself said they will be heading. Who knows, maybe Netflix and the other missing apps entities were really waiting to see if BB10 takes off and gains market share before developing apps for it, but we all know that this sure hasn't happened (at least not yet). So you see, Netflix hasn't yet seen the signs that BB will be a big market for them!
    Good point.

I've heard many folks state that Netflix is only a good value in the U.S. So, you take out a lot of non-US BB users. Then remove locked down corporate users. Legacy OS users? Bye. Then, if these forums are to be believed, you have to remove the sizeable number of folks who believe Netflix on a mobile device is a frivolous contravention of the "tools not toys" mantra.

Now, from this infinitely smaller population of BB users, you need to figure out which do NOT have Netflix and might be encouraged by an app to subscribe.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-15 08:25 PM
    It only takes one missing app to give someone a sufficient reason to leave BB10, or to not try it in the first place.

I've been called a BlackBerry fanboy more than once around here, but if the Kindle app were to cease working on BB10, I'd be gone the next day. I have no interest in a platform that doesn't fully support Kindle. For someone else it might be Netflix or SnapChat. The Hub just can't overcome that.

The "masses" are just ordinary people whose expectations have been formed by current functionalities and the apps that provide them.
    I hear you. As an avid reader myself if for whatever reason Kindle no longer works that would be the proverbial last straw.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 08:34 PM
    Again, this is what I have been looking for. I only have so much perspective. I can only see so much from my vantage. These are all angles I never considered. What's the harm of hearing other perspectives when you want to understand something you denied for so long?

The emotional response on how exclusion feels to me needed to fade a long time ago. The anger that comes from what essentially is being told your preference is irrelevant to a point doesn't go away, but it does have the potential to change into something new. BlackBerry can use the lack of attention from the masses as a cover to reinvent itself.

People where I'm from in New Jersey are surprised when they see a BlackBerry. Many of them are shocked they still exist. One of my friends who made fun of me for being behind the times was shocked how fast and responsive my Q10's browser was. I show people pictures of the Z30 and the Passport and they can't believe something modern-looking came from BlackBerry.

I may still have to accept that BlackBerry might never be recognized as the beneficial platform it is. It may never get the recognition it used to have, but as long as BlackBerry exists, I will support them.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 10:47 PM
    Sorry, posted this by mistake (pressed the wrong button)!
    02-14-15 10:55 PM
    It only takes one missing app to give someone a sufficient reason to leave BB10, or to not try it in the first place.

I've been called a BlackBerry fanboy more than once around here, but if the Kindle app were to cease working on BB10, I'd be gone the next day. I have no interest in a platform that doesn't fully support Kindle. For someone else it might be Netflix or SnapChat. The Hub just can't overcome that.

The "masses" are just ordinary people whose expectations have been formed by current functionalities and the apps that provide them.
    For singles in New York, the must have app is apparently Tinder. Personally I have several must have apps, not Tinder. One is a BMW app that I can use to remotely send destination addresses to my car's Nav system. Another is the Tivo app for my DVR. Also important to me is the ability to deposit checks using my phone. Sometimes an app that doesn't exist when you buy your phone can suddenly become a must have.

Messaging apps are another issue. The new Classic is an excellent device for messaging but perhaps not if all your contacts are using iMessage or Google Hangouts.
    02-14-15 11:36 PM
134 ... 456