02-14-15 11:36 PM
134 1234 ...
tools
    Too be honest... BES12, BLEND, BBM PROTECT, BBM MEETINGS.... all seem to be a suite of products that should have great appeal in the corporate world. Tied in with the security aspects of the platform, it should be a no brainer!

But unfortunately (and very frustrating for Chen), APPS also seem to have a lot of appeal in the corporate world.... and while many here are enjoying the bypasses that SNAP and Colbalt's "ways" of getting Android Apps allow us for now. That isn't a solution for the enterprise world.

Innovation without meeting the needs of your customers... is wasted.
    What has appeal to the corporate world is saving money with BYOB.
    02-05-15 11:16 AM
    What has appeal to the corporate world is saving money with BYOB.
    Yeah I know that when my company instituted BYOB that it made everyone a lot happier and easier to deal with....

But yes Saving Money and increasing productivity is always something that the business world is looking for. The question is how secure is BYOD... BlackBerry seems to think that they have the solution with Balance. But other MDM suites also use containers to secure some of their data. Time will tell if BB10 provides the real BALANCE that business are looking for....
    02-05-15 02:32 PM
    After reading the article, I think some people are misinterpreting the headline.

It's not bashing BBRY and saying it's the end of Blackberry. The key words of the headline are "as we know it". Unfortunately, all some people read is "end of Blackberry" and then stop utilizing their reading comprehension to parse the rest of it.

Basically, the article hilights the differences between the BB of old, and the new path they're taking.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 02-05-15 at 07:40 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and MikeX74 like this.
    02-05-15 03:42 PM
    How many more years will the media keep writing these "The End of BlackBerry" type articles?
    Until they start selling a lot of units (or start making a lot of money) by offering something that has mass appeal. And, only financial/quarterly reports will indicate that, not what we BB fans think or say in these forums!
    02-05-15 04:08 PM
    The problem with most people, who are sheep of iOS and Android, is that the moment someone says BlackBerry, their panties go into a bunch, they become Anal.

Posted via CB10
    This sounds extremely uncomfortable.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-05-15 04:36 PM
    Yeah I know that when my company instituted BYOB that it made everyone a lot happier and easier to deal with....

But yes Saving Money and increasing productivity is always something that the business world is looking for. The question is how secure is BYOD... BlackBerry seems to think that they have the solution with Balance. But other MDM suites also use containers to secure some of their data. Time will tell if BB10 provides the real BALANCE that business are looking for....
    A very popular MDM that uses the container approach is Good. I don't like it much but it is my employer's solution for iOS and Android. My employer does actually support BB10 as a BYOD device and BB7 for corporately owned devices. However, though there are plenty of 9900s floating around the office, I have only seen on BB10 device, a Z10.
    02-05-15 08:01 PM
    The problem with most people, who are sheep of iOS and Android, is that the moment someone says BlackBerry, their panties go into a bunch, they become Anal.

Posted via CB10
    As opposed to BlackBerry fanaticals here on CB who don't get upset every time an article is published that isn't purely positive about BlackBerry? BlackBerry fanaticals never call every single negative article about BlackBerry bashing or haters.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    anon1727506 and MikeX74 like this.
    02-05-15 08:26 PM
    As opposed to BlackBerry fanaticals here on CB who don't get upset every time an article is published that isn't purely positive about BlackBerry? BlackBerry fanaticals never call every single negative article about BlackBerry bashing or haters.

I am just stating a fact about people using iPhone and Droid. It is also true the other way round. A lot of us go Anal about other platforms too and on articles pouring junk about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:34 AM
    OK. From now on only articles that praise BlackBerry. We can ignore anything that is negative because it's all a big conspiracy against BlackBerry. BlackBerry is perfect and anyone that suggest otherwise should be summarily executed!

When there is no need for the article, absolutely.
    I don't know when it became acceptable to point out other's troubles.
    Some people just feel the need to be bashful for their own benefit. We shouldn't react to it, it encourages them. Wait, what am I doing?!
    02-06-15 07:15 AM
    When there is no need for the article, absolutely.
    I don't know when it became acceptable to point out other's troubles.
    Some people just feel the need to be bashful for their own benefit. We shouldn't react to it, it encourages them. Wait, what am I doing?!
    I don't think you know what bashful means.

There is a need for articles of all types. Even articles someone disagrees with. Free media is not about catering to someone's whims and trying to always be positive so as not to offend a particular group.

If you don't like the article move on. Doesn't mean it is bashing at all. And in this case if you read the whole article you'd see that it clearly isn't bashing in the least.

02-06-15 07:32 AM
    You have to admit, though, that this is a great new way to use the word.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-06-15 07:37 AM
    Chen's comments about innovation were made in the context of bringing back the toolbelt on the Classic: simply put "don't throw the baby..." (BBOS user experience) "...out with the bathwater" (the aging Java-based BBOS). A lot of users love the efficient and unique BBOS UX, but BBOS itself wasn't able to support other mobile device innovations like the best-anywhere mobile web browser experience we all enjoy on BB10.

Chen wasn't saying 'innovation is pointless' or anything so extreme, and anyone suggesting he was is, well, clickbaiting.

Ironically, the innovation dilemma that Apple faces is that their "baby" is iron-fisted control over their UX / ecosystem / device filesystem, and like the Basket Case baby it needs what Dr. Hibbert suggested for the evil Bart in the Simpson's parody of that movie: "Fire, and lots of it!"

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    02-06-15 07:59 AM

There is a need for articles of all types. Even articles someone disagrees with. Free media is not about catering to someone's whims and trying to always be positive so as not to offend a particular group.

If you don't like the article move on. Doesn't mean it is bashing at all. And in this case if you read the whole article you'd see that it clearly isn't bashing in the least.

I read the whole article. In summary: a company needs to innovate to thrive. BlackBerry is not doing that (evidenced by the Classic, no mention of Passport, QNX, enterprise tools..). BlackBerry is going through cost-cutting, which leads to severe decline.

I didn't like the article, and I did move on. I also suggested that others do the same. We all know of BlackBerry's struggles already.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:21 AM
    Too much silence before the storm .... has BlackBerry already been acquired?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:12 AM
    Too much silence before the storm .... has BlackBerry already been acquired?

Posted via CB10
    Been real silent there in Waterloo.

Is this good or bad?

BlackBerry hates America!
    02-06-15 09:31 AM
    This sounds extremely uncomfortable.
    We all know what's going on here...
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-06-15 09:54 AM
    My thoughts exactly for the past year or so.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 12:48 PM

Is this good or bad?

What do you mean that Blackberry hates America?
    02-06-15 01:20 PM
    What do you mean that Blackberry hates America?
    I think it has something to do with Panama or Uraguay... those countries are in America.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 04:18 PM

Is this good or bad?

If the price is above $16, it is good. If Chen agrees with price below $16, it is bloody murder... massacre.
    02-06-15 04:30 PM
    I read the whole article. In summary: a company needs to innovate to thrive. BlackBerry is not doing that (evidenced by the Classic, no mention of Passport, QNX, enterprise tools..). BlackBerry is going through cost-cutting, which leads to severe decline.

I didn't like the article, and I did move on. I also suggested that others do the same. We all know of BlackBerry's struggles already.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry hasn't innovated. That's a reality. Certainly not the way the competition has. Passport isn't really innovative. It's another keyboard phone. Just because the keyboard is gesture sensitive doesn't make it innovative. In fact BlackBerry's stubborn refusal to accept that touch is what people want shows just how out of touch they are.

There isn't one thing that BlackBerry has that is highly innovative and around which they could base an advertising campaign. Competitors are coming out with cool new tech with each generation. BlackBerry isn't. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

02-06-15 09:23 PM
    Competitors are coming out with cool new tech with each generation. BlackBerry isn't. Sorry but that's just the way it is.
    If you mean wearables, sure, but calling "a faster cpu and better camera" innovation? No, I'm sorry, but if you can find a single review of the galaxy s5 or iPhone 6 that calls either of them anything but 'a minor improvement' and suggests other than 'you should only upgrade if you have a device two generations old or older', I'd like to read that article, and the upgrade recommendation is mostly for the device performance, not for innovative features. Full slab devices haven't really innovated since the iPhone 4 or Galaxy S3 or, of course, the Z10 and Lumia 800.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:50 PM
    If you mean wearables, sure, but calling "a faster cpu and better camera" innovation? No, I'm sorry, but if you can find a single review of the galaxy s5 or iPhone 6 that calls either of them anything but 'a minor improvement' and suggests other than 'you should only upgrade if you have a device two generations old or older', and even then it's the power not the 'innovation', I'd like to read that article, and also tell me where I can see a live unicorn and a black rose. Full slab devices haven't really innovated since the iPhone 4 or Galaxy S3.

Posted via CB10
    Yes they have. That's why people are buying them. People aren't buying BlackBerry. There's a reason.

BlackBerry is still using 720p screens. Everyone else offers full HD. BlackBerry is still using a regular screen material while everyone else is using a high end material such as Gorilla Glass. Everyone else has better camera using better software. BlackBerry isn't. Everyone else is offering a better consumer experience with more options. BlackBerry isn't. Everyone else has a working address book. BlackBerry doesn't. Everyone else has a call history that easily displays the required info. BlackBerry doesn't. I could go on.

BlackBerry's only thing is security. That just isn't enough. They have to offer something cool. They don't.

Last edited by crazigee; 02-07-15 at 05:32 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-15 09:53 PM
    Yes they have. That's why people are buying them. People are buying BlackBerry. There's a reason.

no they haven't. People buy them to get a faster shiny, not because it is going to wow them.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:56 PM
    no they haven't. People buy them to get a faster shiny, not because it is going to wow them.

Posted via CB10
    Sure. You know best.

That's a third place mentality. The winners aren't really better. It's just luck. And that's exactly why BlackBerry is doomed to repeat past problems. They refuse to learn from history.

02-06-15 10:24 PM
134 1234 ...