03-22-15 05:08 PM
80 1234
tools
    I went to a Corporate store to check out the Classic and the guy laughed at me.... He said "Blackberry has another phone coming out"? Tough to sell something that you never heard of
    You didn't laugh back at him and say "You don't even know what your own company carries?"
    Or... "Did they tell you to be-little your potential customers in sales school"?
    Or... "No problem, I'll just go to a store with people who know what they're talking about and who care about their customers more than iPhone spiffs".
    03-22-15 09:25 AM
    Hey, Jeepie, I do believe that I read 10.3.1 is coming soon to the Playbook.
    Heh-heh, no doubt personally delivered to each Playbook owner by a gorgeous blonde riding on a unicorn?

So, my old friend, how are you?

Funnily enough, I found my old Playbook the other day in a drawer while I was having a clearout in my Den. I was going to put it on eBay, but... I couldn't bring myself to do it! And that did actually surprise me, seeing as I'm a true child of the throwaway age and don't usually have much fond feeling for my old tech. It's up in the loft now... *sigh* such promise that device held, and such a shame it was never to be.

Fair brings a tear to me eye.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-15 09:35 AM
    So, they've convinced you and maybe, at best, another million users, what about the former high tens of millions. They certainly are not out there selling many with those visually appealing ads - oh, yes, what ads!!!!????
    As far as I'm concerned, until BB can finally get a complete OS (has all the basic things other OSs can do...which they are finally getting close to), has a clear value proposition message, and can create effective ads that don't look like a start-up ad agency created them, the should save their precious cash rather than wasting them on half-a$$ed ads.

Before iPhone's and Androids, you never (or rarely) saw BB ads, especially highly visible TV ads.. BB customers just knew they existed and didn't need some ad to let them know about it. That's basically the same today. People who care about BB, who want a BB, who understand it.....already know about them. (many niche products work this way and survive just fine)

At some point....once they get their OS issues worked out, they might consider ads that can at least appeal to those that are the most likely to switch: former users. Those users might already have a weak spot for BB but really need to know BB has all the other issues covered too (besides PKB's and hubs).
    03-22-15 09:35 AM
    Those users might already have a weak spot for BB but really need to know BB has all the other issues covered too (besides PKB's and hubs).
    And apps.
    03-22-15 09:37 AM
    And apps.
    And not changing direction/focus every earnings report leaving the customers that gave them a chance hanging out in the wind!

I seriously don't know if I want to give this company another dimension because everything I buy from them that they say they are committed to is dumped about a quarter or two later because they are too inept of a company to focus on multiple strategies, and devices.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-22-15 10:06 AM
    And not changing direction/focus every earnings report leaving the customers that gave them a chance hanging out in the wind!

Posted via CB10
    The average customer, including most former BB users, has no idea about or interest in earnings reports, let alone any interpretation that they might be "changing direction/focus".
    03-22-15 10:08 AM
    Heh-heh, no doubt personally delivered to each Playbook owner by a gorgeous blonde riding on a unicorn?

So, my old friend, how are you?

Funnily enough, I found my old Playbook the other day in a drawer while I was having a clearout in my Den. I was going to put it on eBay, but... I couldn't bring myself to do it! And that did actually surprise me, seeing as I'm a true child of the throwaway age and don't usually have much fond feeling for my old tech. It's up in the loft now... *sigh* such promise that device held, and such a shame it was never to be.

Fair brings a tear to me eye.
    Ah, your OLD friend is OLDER! But generally fine!

Mine does not get much use. In January I took my first out-of-town trip without it (Samsung Tab S, 10.5) but actually did miss it. When I do use it, I really find it still smoother and much more intuitive than the Tab S. None of those stupid actual buttons and easier to move between running apps. I also miss what I'd call the built-in "hotspot" between the Z30 and the Playbook where I could leach the phone's data when wifi was not available. (Verizon's hotspot would cost this "fixed income" oldster too much. Besides that fixed income is going to get this oldster a custom titanium bike!)

So life continues. BB, still, so far.............
    JeepBB and Powdah like this.
    03-22-15 10:09 AM
    The average customer, including most former BB users, has no idea about or interest in earnings reports, let alone any interpretation that they might be "changing direction/focus".
    I'm talking existing users. Those of us that bought into the PlayBook and the Z line only to be cast aside. With the PlayBook the company said they stopped development to focus on BB10, but don't worry because when it was ready we would reap the rewards. They dumped it for convenience without anything to try to make the customer whole (how about a freaking coupon to buy a BB10 device or something?). Then the Z line we heard that they were now focusing on prosumer, then business, and now regulated business government, and PKB devices which likely means no true replacement and low end all touch devices like the Leap or useless gimmicks like curved screen sliders that most all touch people wouldn't want.

Seriously I have to download so many Android apps to do what Android and iOS users can do, I really have to we wonder why stay when BlackBerry clearly has stated I, and customers like me are not their target, and had this happen multiple times.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and AllanQuatermain like this.
    03-22-15 10:18 AM
    The only end in sight that I can see is:

Market Saturation
    Cell phone buyers Fatigue.

1: When you have Reindeer herders from the high arctic with iPhone 6 and Galaxies...you know the market is saturated.

2: How often does one need to have a NEW phone...at an avg of $700 USD for the "latest"...I think I'll be hanging on to my Z30's for a while yet...

For some reason i have had this nagging suspicion/feeling that the world is heading for a rather titanic market crash...one that will make 1929 seem insignificant. We are at a time that any minor financial blip is met with a reduction in interest rates - been happening since 1983/84. We were at 20% then....now..?? .50% for overnight lending. The Fed keeps threatening to raise rates (for 2 years now)...but look what happened this past week..." oh, we are postponing this till the next meeting as inflation is only a supposed .8%"....I read they're scared witless, as they know that even a .25% increase will dampen any supposed recovery happening.

Seems to me that If this Supposed Recovery we hear about was really happening, and ROBUST..?? Then we would already see a .50-1.0% increase in interest rates.

Europe is now doing their QE at 60 Billi0on euros a month printing Money. China is in a downturn as it seems all nations on the planet are. The USD is 1/2 of what it was only back in the yr 2002.

The World is awash in Debt - some ~500 Trillion all told and built upon a house of cards with derivatives, credit swaps and all kinds of Banking BS...one day its gonna come a tumbling down...and I feel it will happen in my lifetime.

End Financial rant.. and definitely not buying a new phone anytime soon...spending my extra little bit of cash on physical bullion D'or et Argent and land.

stk.
    Last edited by steakman911; 03-22-15 at 10:36 AM.
    03-22-15 10:25 AM
    I'm talking existing users. Those of us that bought into the PlayBook and the Z line only to be cast aside. With the PlayBook the company said they stopped development to focus on BB10, but don't worry because when it was ready we would reap the rewards. They dumped it for convenience without anything to try to make the customer whole (how about a freaking coupon to buy a BB10 device or something?). Then the Z line we heard that they were now focusing on prosumer, then business, and now regulated business government, and PKB devices which likely means no true replacement and low end all touch devices like the Leap or useless gimmicks like curved screen sliders that most all touch people wouldn't want.

Seriously I have to download so many Android apps to do what Android and iOS users can do, I really have to we wonder why stay when BlackBerry clearly has stated I, and customers like me are not their target, and had this happen multiple times.

Posted via CB10
    I'll just repeat what I said before and adjust slightly for this post.

The average "existing user" has no idea about or interest in earnings reports, let alone any interpretation that they might be "changing direction/focus"

The rest of this post has nothing to do with earnings reports, but about a botched product release, or some people's interpretations about BB's "focus". What does Android apps (something they brought in to appeal to more than just enterprise-only users) have to do with anything?
    03-22-15 10:48 AM
    Ah, your OLD friend is OLDER! But generally fine! Besides that fixed income is going to get this oldster a custom titanium bike!)

So life continues. BB, still, so far.............
    Still travel with my Playbook. But that is allows for a custom ti bike - that makes it really worth it (read - I am jealous)
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-15 11:22 AM
    With the upcoming financial end-of-quarter announcements this Friday, I can't help but feel dread about the news and future of BBRY. Am I just a pessimist?

BPWiebe on the super smooth Z10.
    Ok
    03-22-15 11:30 AM
    Steakman911,
    I've been in the market since '74. You are scary accurate in your assessment.
    03-22-15 12:17 PM
    this one single post did not require 3 pages of responses. moving on.
    03-22-15 12:25 PM
    True, and I have been one of them(with my novice market knowledge) , and I repeat it again for this quarter, but this quarter has even more significance; this is the first real quarter for Chen (last year he'd only just joined) showing sales over what for most businesses is the busiest quarter, secondly hopefully we'll get a proper figure for Passport sales which for me will show how many people are still willing to take a risk on BlackBerry (new kind of device), and a few other reasons,

Now regardless of what the quarter shows, Chen made it clear from the beginning that no-one should expect to see amazing results, he played expectations low (think he said 2/3 years just to profitability) quarters since have shown them on track (if not slightly better) than expected given that timeline which is good news.

So in one sense it's a very important quarter because BlackBerry needs to show progress, but on the other hand it's not so important because some changes are still taking effect ( BES free trials (easypass or something) have recently ended so future quarters should show growing services revenue (not even counting the monetisations of BBM and other service-based partnerships of BlackBerry + subsidiaries)

And in other sense, they don't really matter because there's still a year to go on the given timeline before we should start getting really excited..

Jmho

Check Out TechCraze
    Thank you for an intelligent comment that has a basis in reality. So many melodramatic posts, most of which center on a completely outdated view of Blackberry. I have only one point of correction with your post. Blackberry is already profitable. The issue centers around growing revenue, and at what rate will this happen, relative to the loss of older BIS revenues. Perspective is always important and I think a previous comment on BerryFlow is relevant. The pessimists 18 months ago proclaimed that Blackberry was dead. 9 months ago, they complained their new products weren't competitive. Today, they complain that Blackberry won't generate the revenue needed to hit their aggressive long term goals. Notice the shift even among the pessimists.

What I find particularly reassuring about Blackberry is that it is actually looking forward and outward. Long gone is the bunker mentality which seems to be creeping into their competitors long term vision. The BES cloud solution is a tangible example of this change. With this product, Blackberry is clearly extending its reach into small/medium sized businesses and moderating its dependence on large corporate customers. What is interesting in this move is that Blackberry is starting to eat someone else's lunch for a change. This directly impacts players like mobile iron and good technologies which is why we have seen so much overheated rhetoric in the last few weeks from those trying to front mobile iron's IPO.

Software and services are the future of mobile; Mobile itself can be considered at this point a reasonably mature business. The hardware side is heading downwards and there is simply no doubt in my mind that within 5 years, there won't be a flagship phone more than $500-600 dollars. The indications are out there and even Apple is not immune. Case-in-point iPhone sales in advanced countries are starting to sag and it is only their expansion into new emerging market sales that are papering over this trend. Being in a workplace with lots of people in their 20's, one can visually see this trend. Older Apple phones are slowly being replaced with Android which delivers the same basic same experience at a more modest price. I have even seen a few new Blackberry phones as that November sale seemed to have a positive effect. The other somewhat unnerving aspect of iPhone sales is the precipitous decline it is experiencing (75 million in the first quarter (excellent by any stretch of the imagination), 40 million predicted for the 3 quarter (solid) and 25-30 million for the final quarter (mediocre)) before the product is refreshed. The other ominous concern for all hardware makers is that the phone life cycle is increasing.

Blackberry has correctly figured out that hardware will be a tough go especially if you are trying to appeal to the fickle, money tight consumer. They have put software and services at the forefront and view hardware as a secondary value add proposition. This doesn't make hardware unimportant, just that it is one aspect of a broader equation. They will continue to build interesting phones for their customers and for a few others that dare to be different and appreciate its attributes. Hardware makes up 40% of their current revenue base and while this will proportionally decrease over the next couple of years, this part of the business isn't going anywhere. It's quite valuable in regards to their EMM product line and anyone who doesn't see this is a fool.
    tinochiko likes this.
    03-22-15 12:32 PM
    So, they've convinced you and maybe, at best, another million users, what about the former high tens of millions. They certainly are not out there selling many with those visually appealing ads - oh, yes, what ads!!!!????
    It's already agreed by many that BlackBerry truly sucks at marketing. In all honesty, they should hire Apple and have them market BB10.
    No Really. I am sure Birdman would agree.

To date there's approx 12 to 15 million BB10 users to date including the Enterprise. Many of the data companies do not measure Enterprises Sales, just consumers.

Sexy White Z30
    03-22-15 12:35 PM
    It's already agreed by many that BlackBerry truly sucks at marketing. In all honesty, they should hire Apple and have them market BB10.
    No Really. I am sure Birdman would agree.
    That one I can't agree with. Lmao
    03-22-15 01:06 PM
    this one single post did not require 3 pages of responses. moving on.
    Thanks for your contribution. But....if I may....

Posts don't "require" any responses. However, that doesn't mean people aren't free to do that using as many pages as they wish to carry on a discussion. I'm sorry the sight of that interaction offends you.

Once might say that the post didn't require your response in which you simply stated that you have nothing to say, and that you're moving on.

Again, thanks for your contribution.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-22-15 01:27 PM
    And apps.
    It's called Amazon App Store, 1Mobile, SNAP etc., I also have no issue with finding what I need on BBW, excluding some such as Starbucks, Netflix and a couple more. The above providers take care of that.

People expect a miracle overnight. Well that is not going to happen, BlackBerry is in this for the long haul, and it will take hard work and patients. People will always look for negativity within the companies quarterly results. Its a slow but steady turn around. Give the company a break and let them execute accordingly.
    I for one continue to support such company because they have great quality and a snappy futuristic OS that deserves a lot more attention than what its getting nowadays.
    nt300 likes this.
    03-22-15 02:03 PM
    It's called Amazon App Store, 1Mobile, SNAP etc., I also have no issue with finding what I need on BBW, excluding some such as Starbucks, Netflix and a couple more. The above providers take care of that.
    When they work. Even after 10.3.1 update, I still had to delete about a quarter of the Android apps on my Passport because they won't launch.

BB10 has the ability to run Android apps but not 100% compatibility. That's why it's not heavily promoted by BlackBerry.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-22-15 02:31 PM
    I see strong sales in emerging markets, better enterprise numbers, more certification deals and maybe a deal with Samsung. Not the end. Far from that for now. North American sales do not define a brand. Sorry but it just doesn't.

Side note, New Passport for me tomorrow. I know somewhere it said in one of my posts I had one. I did but I kinda went broke and had to sell it. Back in the black now so what better way to treat myself.

As for Marketing, they should Hire Me. The company I am with now, we went from a global reach of 8000 people knowing about us to 10.8 Million in just 5 months. That was all me! Cmon BBRY Hire This Canadian.
    03-22-15 02:38 PM

People expect a miracle overnight. Well that is not going to happen, BlackBerry is in this for the long haul, and it will take hard work and patients. People will always look for negativity within the companies quarterly results. Its a slow but steady turn around. Give the company a break and let them execute accordingly.
    I for one continue to support such company because they have great quality and a snappy futuristic OS that deserves a lot more attention than what its getting nowadays.
    The pre-loaded Amazon app store is not bad IMO. However it needs work in order to be considered a solution equal to BB World. Firstly, all of the important apps in Amazon need to be made available to BB devices (I am aware this is up to the app developer, folks). Secondly, BB devices need to be able to leverage Amazon Device Messaging for cloud based push notifications. Until those two things happen, even Amazon will be half baked. In terms of SNAP and 1Mobile, those are non-starters for average folk. If they can't find the app in the official store(s) pre-loaded on their phones, they won't search the internet for it.
    03-22-15 02:38 PM
    I see strong sales in emerging markets, better enterprise numbers, more certification deals and maybe a deal with Samsung. Not the end. Far from that for now. North American sales do not define a brand. Sorry but it just doesn't.
    North American sales don't define a brand, but US sales do. Like it or not, the USA is the make or break market for smartphones. The majority of important apps come from the US which is where iOS still rules. And not coincidentally, many apps come to iOS first because of their US market presence. Win the USA, and you win the global battle. Can BlackBerry win back a significant piece of the US market? Highly unlikely based on what they are currently doing.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-22-15 02:44 PM
    North American sales don't define a brand, but US sales do. Like it or not, the USA is the make or break market for smartphones. The majority of important apps come from the US which is where iOS still rules. And not coincidentally, many apps come to iOS first because of their US market presence. Win the USA, and you win the global battle. Can BlackBerry win back a significant piece of the US market? Highly unlikely based on what they are currently doing.
    Asia is the future and not the US in terms of mobile. Sorry, but the world has move on. In Asia, App developers think Android first and if there is enough audience then to Apple.
    nolimits7 and thatplaybookguy like this.
    03-22-15 02:51 PM
    Asia is the future and not the US in terms of mobile. Sorry, but the world has move on. In Asia, App developers think Android first and if there is enough audience then to Apple.
    We'll agree to disagree. The US market is still the most influential IMO. You won't see the next Instagram or Uber come out of Asia. It will come from a Silicon valley startup and will be on iOS first.
    03-22-15 03:00 PM
80 1234