03-22-15 05:08 PM
80 1234
tools
    I'm just speculating because of the rumored low device sales numbers and the pathetic level of interest by the carriers (here in the US). I saw a BlackBerry (Q10) for the first time ever last week, and that's the only OS10 device besides my own I've seen here in California's 5th largest city. The IT guys I know just laugh when I ask about BES for their companies. The share prices indicate no confidence in the brand.

The masses never go for the best technology, they go for the easiest and coolest or most advertised. Remember Palm OS? There are features I still miss from those devices. Remember Beta vs VHS? Why did the bulkier, lower quality format beat Beta? I've used Android and iPhone. They are not popular for being the best. They are beautiful, but not the best, imho.

I brag about my Z10 to all whether anyone listens or not. In my work (clergy) it is a terrific device. I plan to purchase the Passport at the end of this year. I'm just frustrated to see BlackBerry struggle. I probably have a little extra loyalty because I'm Canadian.

BPWiebe on the super smooth Z10.
    RigoMonster likes this.
    03-21-15 09:35 PM
    Yeah its over. I'm trading in my Passport for a shiny iPhone 6. Not.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 09:45 PM
    It might be fun to speculate, but I'm more interested in the actual results. Chen stated at the last earnings call that they expect soft results. But he's also said they are ahead of plan. So I guess we'll see on Friday. Whatever happens, I'm not pulling my Chicken Little suit out of storage just yet.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-21-15 09:55 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't care to rebirth as an important smartphone producer quickly, so why do we should expect it? BlackBerry is focused on another market at the moment: software.

MicheleZ10_oraZ30
    phuoc likes this.
    03-21-15 10:00 PM
    True. But there have been just as many that said "this is when BB come back". BB 10.2.1 was supposed to be the savior of BB and bring in the masses. Then 10.3, then the classic will bring in the one who want a "normal" BB.

I just don't buy it anymore. BB will not dissapear anytime soon, but it will continue with the same trend with under 1% market share.
    This, a hundred times this. The truth always lies somewhere between the two extremes - there's no evidence to suggest that BlackBerry will have an abysmal nor a stellar quarter. We're likely looking at a modestly profitable quarter, seeing as Chen's short-term plans don't seem to have run into any significant hurdles.
    03-21-15 10:09 PM
    For as long as I can remember, people here have been saying the *next* quarter is the one to look forward to... it's almost become a BB/CB catchphrase, like "coming soon"
    So true!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-22-15 12:13 AM
    For as long as I've been coming to CB there have been people stating "the end is near". Three years later and seven devices, an OS, at least eight OS updates, a couple acquisitions and three Billion in the bank later....BlackBerry is still here.

Classically Posted.
    I mean no offense here. Many have intimated since as early as 2009 that Blackberry (then RIM) was cooked. And I believe both I and them were correct. At the time, BBRY had a controlling market share of sales of what we now call smart phones as well as a huge controlling market share of OS and enterprise customers. Their stock traded above $100 p/ share, and innovation was their middle name. Today, the market share in sales is below 1%, in OS, again, below 1% of active users, and in enterprise - - market share is falling every quarter. In terms of innovation, BBRY has cut their R&D to bare bones and is not looking to 'leapfrog' anymore in the hardware space. As for software offerings BBM and BES are barely holding on. The fact that BBRY could not figure out how to take a slice of Whatsapp is pretty telling, the fact that they couldn't cut into Skype's business is moreso. Their current enhanced offerings are far more costly than others, and they still have failed to learn the most basic lesson of 2009-2011; which is, business folks are consumers. BBRY by failing to meet their needs as consumers, has allowed Apple to virtually swallow up the enterprise world as well as the consumer side. Working with companies like Good and Microsoft, Apple has pushed BES uptake off a cliff.

Is BBRY out of business - - nope. But if that's all there is to hang your hat on, then I guess I'll have to admit, I was wrong. I thought for sure they could not hang on doing this poorly this long.
    bitje, JeepBB and sentimentGX4 like this.
    03-22-15 12:37 AM
    I'm an optimist. I see Classic and Passport coming as prepaid on half price soon.
    03-22-15 01:29 AM
    I just don't buy it anymore. BB will not dissapear anytime soon, but it will continue with the same trend with under 1% market share.
    Actually, I don't believe that BB (the company) will disappear at all.

Chen is doing an amazing job of re-focusing the company away from consumer phones and towards enterprise/software/services. It's the job the Board hired him to do, and a direction that he's been pretty openly stating. I really do believe that he *will* succeed in saving the BB (the company) and will earn every penny that BB is paying him.

Do I believe that Chen will save BB10 and handsets? No, but then I don't think that was on his To-Do list anyway.

I'm not really expecting any big announcements at this ER either. The figures will again show that few are interested in BB10 handsets, they'll be some accounting sleight of hand to demonstrate that hardware is profitable even when producing handfuls of devices, and there'll be positive talk about BES growth and enterprise generally. QNX will once again produce a small, but welcome, boost to the revenue figures (as it should being a reliable but unexciting commodity product that is used extensively). As little as possible will be said about BB10.

We'll see how close I get next Friday.
    03-22-15 05:05 AM
    Its the end of BB as a significant player in device manufacture. Any hope of that will be dashed in this ER. But BB as a company will continue and flourish but as a software/services provider that also makes a few devices to support that focus.
    IMO, BBRY has not been a "significant player in device manufacture" for quite some time, so to say "its the end" is not quite true. In the phone market, I believe BBRY will continue to be what it is - a player.
    sleepngbear and Vorkosigan like this.
    03-22-15 05:28 AM
    I'm an optimist. I see Classic and Passport coming as prepaid on half price soon.
    Love the Passport but would definitely prefer one with curved corners. I love curves, especially on wo.....opps, let's stay on phones
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 05:31 AM
    Today, the market share in sales is below 1%, in OS, again, below 1% of active users, and in enterprise - - market share is falling every quarter.
    Market share isn't that important if you can make money at what you're doing. How long has Apple been at building computers while their market share has remained pretty much constant compared to Windows PC's? iOS doesn't dominate the mobile OS market share, but makes the most profit from it.

In terms of innovation, BBRY has cut their R&D to bare bones and is not looking to 'leapfrog' anymore in the hardware space.
    Leapfrogging hardware isn't necessary. They just need to build devices that are good enough to use. The market share you speak of is made of "good enough to use" hardware, not high spec'ed devices.

As for software offerings BBM and BES are barely holding on. The fact that BBRY could not figure out how to take a slice of Whatsapp is pretty telling, the fact that they couldn't cut into Skype's business is moreso.
    BBM and Whatsapp don't need to be mutually exclusive. Users can have and use both.

Skype isn't a good example to follow since it bled money for years, only making money for the founders because it was sold over and over again and finally to Microsoft. Who knows if it's profitable yet. It might just be a feature that Microsoft can offer to make themselves competitive with Google Hangouts, iMessage/FaceTime, i.e. it's not expected to make money.

Their current enhanced offerings are far more costly than others,
    It sounds like their online meetings software is cheaper than their competitors. As for security, it's something you buy based on the amount you want.

and they still have failed to learn the most basic lesson of 2009-2011; which is, business folks are consumers. BBRY by failing to meet their needs as consumers, has allowed Apple to virtually swallow up the enterprise world as well as the consumer side. Working with companies like Good and Microsoft, Apple has pushed BES uptake off a cliff.
    You brought up market share, yet your examples exclude Android and you bring up examples like Good, Microsoft and Apple, companies that don't necessarily dominate in market share.

Is BBRY out of business - - nope. But if that's all there is to hang your hat on, then I guess I'll have to admit, I was wrong. I thought for sure they could not hang on doing this poorly this long.
    Apple's core users used to be their Apple Computer and Mac users. Then it became their iPod users. Then it became their iPhone users. BlackBerry's key to survival may be in products that the current BlackBerry user has no need for.
    bungaboy and DonTonyB like this.
    03-22-15 06:58 AM
    IMO, BBRY has not been a "significant player in device manufacture" for quite some time, so to say "its the end" is not quite true. In the phone market, I believe BBRY will continue to be what it is - a player.
    Exactly. Chen's mantra since just about the time he took the helm has been more focus on software and enterprise and less on hardware. Doesn't mean they're totally abandoning hardware, but it does mean that BB's handset market share is a meaningless metric. As long as they are seeing any kind of profit on hardware, we'll continue to see new handsets, none of which will likely put so much as a hint of a dent in Apple or Samsung's sales, but it won't matter as long as they're not taking a loss on them.
    KemKev, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    03-22-15 07:31 AM
    How can they have good sales when none of the carriers even have any products?

ATT has US exclusive for Passport, yet one week after release the corporate store did not have and Passports OR Classics on display when I went to check them out. This wasn't a kiosk or franchised store, but the big corporate location.

Hard to sell when your inventory is zero.
    I went to a Corporate store to check out the Classic and the guy laughed at me.... He said "Blackberry has another phone coming out"? Tough to sell something that you never heard of
    03-22-15 07:37 AM
    The figures will again show that few are interested in BB10 handsets, they'll be some accounting sleight of hand to demonstrate that hardware is profitable even when producing handfuls of devices, and there'll be positive talk about BES growth and enterprise generally. QNX will once again produce a small, but welcome, boost to the revenue figures (as it should being a reliable but unexciting commodity product that is used extensively). As little as possible will be said about BB10.
    Agreed. However, there will be a significant announcement to counter the lackluster report. It'll likely reflect developments with BlackBerry's Samsung partnership.

Chen won't allow the stock to plunge the way it has on some ER days. His contract is too performance-based to let that happen. Plus his reputation as a turnaround artist is on the line.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 07:38 AM
    We could also hear that a new handset is ready, who knows. One thing John Chen is not is predictable.
    03-22-15 07:40 AM
    Chen won't allow the stock to plunge the way it has on some ER days. His contract is too performance-based to let that happen. Plus his reputation as a turnaround artist is on the line.
    If he and the Board are in it for the long term, it might be better for them to get stock compensation at a lower price (less taxes) and sell high later on. If they're constantly selling stock for income, then, yeah, they don't want the stock price to go down at any time.
    03-22-15 07:47 AM
    For as long as I can remember, people here have been saying the *next* quarter is the one to look forward to... it's almost become a BB/CB catchphrase, like "coming soon"
    Sort of like, the 'RIM is bankrupt' chant we get every year....

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 07:49 AM
    Sort of like, the 'RIM is bankrupt' chant we get every year.
    Nobody in these forums claims BlackBerry is going bankrupt. But that is the underlying public perception of those with no knowledge of the company (or those who still call it RIM).
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 07:55 AM
    I agree with Bird man. Perception is the silent killer. That said.

This is the beginning. BlackBerry will do just fine. Best hardware and best software coupled by the best mobile OS. Win Win.

Sexy White Z30
    03-22-15 08:26 AM
    Sort of like, the 'RIM is bankrupt' chant we get every year....
    I'm sure I've never claimed BB was going bankrupt, and I can't recall seeing those words here except as a rebuttal to being challenged over BB debt issues. Along the lines of "... yeah, yeah... and all you haters keep predicting BB will be bankrupt too!".

That "bankruptcy" line was often attached to the "BB has 3 billion in the bank and no debt" boast, which I'll admit did annoy me. Watsa lent BB $1.25 Billion - a debt on which BB pays interest (6% IIRC)... It wasn't a gift! So, while BB is not *in* debt, it does *have* debt.
    03-22-15 08:42 AM
    Watsa lent BB $1.25 Billion - a debt on which BB pays interest (6% IIRC)... It wasn't a gift! So, while BB is not *in* debt, it does *have* debt.
    It may be the smarter way to have debt, just like Apple selling $6.5 billion in bonds and paying interest on that rather than spend their cash.
    03-22-15 08:56 AM
    Hey, Jeepie, I do believe that I read 10.3.1 is coming soon to the Playbook.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 09:19 AM
    I agree with Bird man. Perception is the silent killer.
    Stranger things have happened. I think I agreed with you once before
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 09:21 AM
    I agree with Bird man. Perception is the silent killer. That said.

This is the beginning. BlackBerry will do just fine. Best hardware and best software coupled by the best mobile OS. Win Win.

Sexy White Z30
    So, they've convinced you and maybe, at best, another million users, what about the former high tens of millions. They certainly are not out there selling many with those visually appealing ads - oh, yes, what ads!!!!????
    03-22-15 09:23 AM
80 1234