He's leaving the company.
    03-28-13 06:18 AM
    I've said it and will say it again. I hope people, especially in Canada, appreciate everything this guy has done. He started a great technology success story, he's made a ton of contributions, and he'll make many more in the future. People like him help advance the world.

It'd be a shame to focus on him misreading the market for a few years, everyone slips eventually, but Mike's done a lot more right than wrong, and we'll see his vision with QNX and the future of BlackBerry proven right one day.
    03-28-13 06:49 AM
    He probably should have gone when balls - silly did. Not sure that he's been calling any shots whatsoever, but it might have been better for the company if he left at the beginning of last year with the other guy.
    03-28-13 08:32 AM
    I've said it and will say it again. I hope people, especially in Canada, appreciate everything this guy has done. He started a great technology success story, he's made a ton of contributions, and he'll make many more in the future. People like him help advance the world.

It'd be a shame to focus on him misreading the market for a few years, everyone slips eventually, but Mike's done a lot more right than wrong, and we'll see his vision with QNX and the future of BlackBerry proven right one day.
    Well, he created a great company, but it outgrew him. He made plenty of errors that have been evident in retrospect. The fact that he saw a future with QNX is redeeming, but the reality is that Heinz got professional outside advice on how to run a company and that's something Mikey Mike didn't know how to do.
    03-28-13 09:45 AM
    It'd be a shame to focus on him misreading the market for a few years
    Yeah - he built a company that exploded with growth by a complex business model and suddenly found itself not particularly nimble to react when cracks appeared. And they probably tried to do too much with that old platform for too long, misinterpreting how far they could take it.

But still, I think Mike doesn't get as much credit for the BlackBerry 10 line as he should. The wheels for this have been in motion for years, long before Thorsten was CEO. The product being used today is largely Mike's baby, not Thorsten's. Thorsten's legacy in the near term is his impressive operations work but not in the design of BlackBerry 10.
    peter9477 and sydsam like this.
    03-28-13 10:15 AM
    Well, he created a great company, but it outgrew him. He made plenty of errors that have been evident in retrospect. The fact that he saw a future with QNX is redeeming, but the reality is that Heinz got professional outside advice on how to run a company and that's something Mikey Mike didn't know how to do.
    He can always say he helped build a multi-billion dollar company from zip. What have you done in comparison?
    03-28-13 10:16 AM
    It's odd how we determine if a person is 'successful' or not: we somehow try to assign a value to a person's successes/failures, and then sum them all together to make an overall assessment. That's kinda odd.

At any rate, Mike should be lauded for his work in making BlackBerry a reality, when most companies weren't even thinking of mobile email. But, he should also be knocked for his failure to instill a culture of innovation at RIM, and failing to react quickly to the iPhone. Both are equally valid, and I respect him regardless
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-28-13 10:53 AM
    He can always say he helped build a multi-billion dollar company from zip. What have you done in comparison?
    I've written software that trades hundreds of millions of dollars in securities each and every day. What have you done?

Anyway, the true test of a leader is to know when you're in over your head. There is no shame in realizing that your baby has grown too big for you to handle. Anyway, BB hasn't failed yet and it's no longer the ex-co-CEOs' fault if it does. Now BB's legacy is on Thor's head.
    03-28-13 01:33 PM
    I made a sandwich.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    03-28-13 01:55 PM
    I like the fact that Mike is staying with his engineering and science roots and developing an investment fund for building products and solutions in the quantum science space. He did so much for BB and for Canada, it's a shame he didn't know when to hand over the reins. Not all innovators can be good managers and BB found that out the hard way.
    03-28-13 03:45 PM
    I've written software that trades hundreds of millions of dollars in securities each and every day. What have you done?
    Driven the line of business for software generating hundreds of millions of dollars and software used by tens of millions. Doesn't really matter through. Wouldn't claim to have made a multi-billion dollar corporation like Mike. He can always put that on his resume. I can't.
    03-28-13 07:04 PM
    Not all innovators can be good managers and BB found that out the hard way.
    It worked well enough for him (and Jim) to take it to $19 billion a year. Lots of people and their companies have imploded at much smaller sizes.
    03-28-13 07:06 PM
    Thorsten is a good operations CEO (see how the cost structure improved), but I don't think he's an innovative CEO. I think RIM needs a "Chief Innovation Officer" and a "Chief User Experience Officer". Those two titles are somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but basically I think that RIM needs to 1) start thinking experiences and ideas that wow and one-up the competition, and 2) simplify the user experience of BB10 and make it more coherent.
    03-31-13 01:08 PM
    Thorsten is a good operations CEO (see how the cost structure improved), but I don't think he's an innovative CEO. I think RIM needs a "Chief Innovation Officer" and a "Chief User Experience Officer".
    I don't know him to personally comment on his 'innovation' nor do I think it's fair to determine his innovation at this stage, given that BlackBerry 10 was in the works for years and the brand child of Mike.

They do have a head of user experience. His name is Todd Wood.
    03-31-13 07:50 PM