01-12-16 01:04 AM
    From my reading, this decryption of data at rest isn't a flaw unique to a BlackBerry handset. The process these forensic analysts are using is called 'Chip off' and has been an know exploit since at least 2013. http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ch...rry_Curve_9320

Law enforcement would need to strip the phone, perform a raw data dump of the memory chip, find and use the password hash to brute force access to the device's encrypted storage.

Seems like a vulnerability which would affect all encrypted data at rest no matter the device.

Edit: source of my opinions - http://www.nist.gov/forensics/upload...nsics-FULL.pdf

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    01-12-16 03:07 AM
    From what I'm reading, these are customized BlackBerry OS 7 devices. PGP? I have no idea what that is.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 12:33 PM
    There's a phone shop on my way to university that claims to sell PGP BlackBerry devices, although I think it's just marketing fluff.

Besides, if one really wants to be secure they'd have am operating system that's been updated since 2013.
    01-12-16 12:43 PM
    Like I said in the other thread, you can get a nice Secusmart Z10 for a little more.
    01-12-16 04:48 PM
    Big Deal. A 9720 that they HAD to have in their hands in order to crack it and not connected to BES, from what I heard.
    Heres one for the experts. Whats the recipe for the Big Mac sauce?
    01-12-16 07:07 PM
    Another question is how did they read BBM's from El Chapo and that actress that lead to his capture? Says she was on a Z30.
    01-13-16 05:07 PM
    BBM is not immune to decryption through lawful access, BlackBerry holds the key for that after all. The drug kingpin should've bought a subscription to BBM Protected, then only him and said actress's devices would've been able to decrypt the messages.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    01-13-16 09:21 PM
    Invested in BBM Protected for myself and my wife so we can share naughty pictures.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-14-16 05:35 PM
    So they accessed the RAM to look for the Password and if they found it they cold unlock the device memory...? Was it a setting in BlackBerry that wiped the memory from time to time.... or was that a 3rd party app? Seems like there was some way to do this back then. Either way it sounds like it requires a lot of pure luck.

Between this and the Hacker Group that was charging to remotely access data off of BBOS devices. It's clear that real security means regular updates to the OS.
    01-28-16 02:20 PM
    Would like to see the proof of concept.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-03-16 12:52 AM
    This hack has been sensationalised.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-03-16 11:51 AM
    The only way I see it happening is via sdcard port. The sd card encryption is the device password. Take out the sd card and put it to a pc and try every password combination until the pre-installed blackberry folders are seen. Then you know the device password.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 12:10 PM
    If these people are announcing that they have hacked Blackberry encryption, it means that the NSA and GCHQ have had access for years already.
    02-26-16 08:41 AM
    If these people are announcing that they have hacked Blackberry encryption, it means that the NSA and GCHQ have had access for years already.
    Read that article in more detail. Pay attention to the specifics. Especially the technical side of it. They're sensationlising it.
    In term of NSA, they pretty much have access to anyone's phone. A lot you can do with a $10billion plus budget.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-26-16 09:29 AM