06-01-14 04:51 PM
61 123
tools
    Are there any disadvantages of enabling device encryption or media card encryption on my Z10?

It's dangerous if you forget the passcode.

You have to be careful to decrypt the device/memory card before wiping the device or the data will be unrecoverable.

Historically storage encryption would entail a performance penalty but I think that may be moderate to unnoticeable with BB10 since it is done in hardware.
    05-25-14 06:27 PM
    a dozen posts deleted, 1 ban, 1 warning and 1 infraction. Debate the topic not the posters. Its not that hard really.
    endevour likes this.
    05-25-14 07:37 PM

You have to be careful to decrypt the device/memory card before wiping the device or the data will be unrecoverable.

Historically storage encryption would entail a performance penalty but I think that may be moderate to unnoticeable with BB10 since it is done in hardware.
    So does that mean that I need to decrypt when doing OS updates or transferring from one BlackBerry to another?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-25-14 08:20 PM
    Was the article translated by Google? Sheesh!
    05-25-14 09:03 PM
    The encryption can be broken given enough time and resources. The issue lies in the time and resources
    And you have only 10 tries.
    05-25-14 09:15 PM
    It feels like this article is encrypted...
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    05-25-14 10:52 PM
    Yes, It's bad if you forget to decrypt and go on to load a leaked os! No getting back your info...EVER
    Are there any disadvantages of enabling device encryption or media card encryption on my Z10?

05-26-14 02:07 AM
    YES!
    So does that mean that I need to decrypt when doing OS updates or transferring from one BlackBerry to another?

05-26-14 02:09 AM
    Yes, It's bad if you forget to decrypt and go on to load a leaked os! No getting back your info...EVER
    Does this only apply to leaked OS or official releases too?

05-26-14 05:25 AM
    You do realize that all modern smartphones (iOS, Android, WinPhone, BB10) have device encryption available, though in all cases, it is turned off by default, right? The story would be no different if this was an iPhone or Galaxy that the user had encrypted. Without the password, it can be wiped clean, but the data can't be accessed short of a brute-force hack on a copy of the data.
    Android and apple have bypasses and backdoors to everything and it has been proven in so many articles. That are from legitimate sources.

If I read a story about an encrypted iphone and android that can't be cracked (which I wont) but until then I will be thinking otherwise.

Im happy to see articles like these, BlackBerry needs to blow it up and show there enterprise partners

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 05-26-14 at 04:06 PM.
    05-26-14 07:42 AM
    Uh oh, hope we don't start an epidemic of BlackBerry Criminals!

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-26-14 03:50 PM
    Do a quick search online in regards to breaking data encryption on androids and you will find at least 3 different methods.
    Posted via CB10
    Please, let me know just ONE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS instead of being a BS claim - because I have my SD card encrypted which I forgot to decrypt before I wiped my Android phone and there is no ordinary way to do it as even I know the original code the crypto was obviously salted so I doubt there's any way to decrypt it now (sans the NSA etc.)
    05-26-14 08:27 PM
    Thanks Omnitech for you're thoughts on performance impact. I've always expected a performance impact if I encrypt my Z10. Anyone encrypted their Z10 and can comment? If I encrypt and lose my phone am I able to retrieve a BBLink back up of my encrypted data onto a replacement device, given use of my BBID and related password of course? I'm not considering SD data here.

Posted via CB10
    Branta likes this.
    05-26-14 10:34 PM
    But does anyone know what whas encrypted ? THE phone iT self or THE messages that were send ? I read somethig About THE bc 1 card ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-27-14 06:45 AM
    Please, let me know just ONE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS instead of being a BS claim - because I have my SD card encrypted which I forgot to decrypt before I wiped my Android phone and there is no ordinary way to do it as even I know the original code the crypto was obviously salted so I doubt there's any way to decrypt it now (sans the NSA etc.)
    No BS claim. Go out and explore the Internet and you will find some examples.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 07:51 AM

All true.

I encrypted my Q10 as soon as it was activated but I have to say, I notice zero performance issues, none of my apps seem to give me grief or lag. As for my SD card, it's encrypted as well and I don't seem to have issues with music playback or taking vids, no struggles to speak of.
    05-27-14 08:02 AM
    But there is still no answer of what THE dutch criminal was using that couldnt be encrypted .

05-27-14 09:58 AM
    Was that a translation? If not the writer needs to be shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 04:15 PM
    I clicked the link added and it's not English . My bad lol

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 04:17 PM
    Hahah but still nobody knows Anything About what kind of software he had installed. By THE way the person who had this BB is shot dead

05-27-14 04:18 PM
    Hahah but still nobody knows Anything About what kind of software he had installed. By THE way the person who had this BB is shot dead

The phone was password protected with an obviously good password, and thanks to the security of BlackBerry devices, there has not been any way for them to break past that, ergo, the phone and it's information is secure and "encrypted" until someone can get it unlocked. Quite unlike your iPhone that needs a few clever taps and swipes and you're in.... or the latest where they can simply trick it into thinking it's dealing with the iCloud and grant it access that way.
    Originalloverman likes this.
    05-27-14 05:49 PM
    The phone was password protected with an obviously good password, and thanks to the security of BlackBerry devices, there has not been any way for them to break past that, ergo, the phone and it's information is secure and "encrypted" until someone can get it unlocked. Quite unlike your iPhone that needs a few clever taps and swipes and you're in.... or the latest where they can
    simply trick it into thinking it's dealing with the iCloud and grant it access that way.
    So you are saying that he didnt even had something special installed on his phone ?

05-27-14 05:56 PM
    So you are saying that he didnt even had something special installed on his phone ?

Since I didn't own the phone, I can't say with 100% certainty, but that's what BlackBerry is used for... Security of information. There is no need to add more to the phone itself. Now for the communication side of things, that's different. That's where other layers becomes important to minimize risk of man in the middle attacks and interception of information.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    05-27-14 06:04 PM
    Any idea what model he used?

#believeinfilm
    05-28-14 07:46 AM
    Thanks Omnitech for you're thoughts on performance impact. I've always expected a performance impact if I encrypt my Z10. Anyone encrypted their Z10 and can comment? If I encrypt and lose my phone am I able to retrieve a BBLink back up of my encrypted data onto a replacement device, given use of my BBID and related password of course? I'm not considering SD data here.

Posted via CB10
    I see a very very very small decrease in speed. But nothing you would notice if you didn't know encryption was on. I do not encrypt the media card but then I store nothing sensitive on it.

It's not like the legacy phones where turning on encryption brings things to a crawl.
    Using 10.2.1 3175 seems to speed things up a little to boot.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    05-28-14 08:43 AM
61 123