04-08-15 03:13 AM
110 ... 345
tools
    Lol.
    This thread needs a title change...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-26-15 03:39 PM
    But yeah, I think that the whole copying thing considering early Android and the "rectangular slab" was blown completely out of proportion and I totally agreed with comments back then, who sarcastically wondered, if Apple successfully patented the rectangle.
    The physical resemblance between the two phones is the LEAST of it, I agree. But its not insignificant. And that, taken with the dock connectors, the UI, the flipping PACKAGING the phones came in.....

Reasonable people can surely disagree. But to me, it's clear that Samsung was doing all they could to ape iPhone/iOS from 2007 through to about 2011. AND I would even argue that it worked for them. Since they're far and away the market leader among OHA member-companies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-26-15 07:29 PM
    Well ... might be "run Android apps", finally.
    I'm pretty sure these recent changes (running Android apps and [some] Google services in chrome + ARC environment) may have a direct influence on Terms & Conditions of the Google Apps store ...
    Let's see how it'll be in one or two quarters

[warning : automatic translation, may burn your eyes !]
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
    04-03-15 03:08 AM
    Well ... might be "run Android apps", finally.
    I'm pretty sure these recent changes (running Android apps and [some] Google services in chrome + ARC environment) may have a direct influence on Terms & Conditions of the Google Apps store ...
    Let's see how it'll be in one or two quarters

[warning : automatic translation, may burn your eyes !]
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
    I don't get it, what does this have to do with BlackBerry?

Here's a better link regarding ARC: Google?s ARC Beta runs Android apps on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac, and Linux | Ars Technica

ARC stands for App Runtime for Chrome. It will allow Android apps to run on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. ARC made Android apps run on nearly every computing platform (save iOS).
    mikeo007 likes this.
    04-03-15 12:08 PM
    I don't get it, what does this have to do with BlackBerry?

Here's a better link regarding ARC: Google?s ARC Beta runs Android apps on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac, and Linux | Ars Technica

ARC stands for App Runtime for Chrome. It will allow Android apps to run on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. ARC made Android apps run on nearly every computing platform (save iOS).
    Simply put : this will - by nature - clear (part of) the restrictions to gain access for non Android devices (say computers for now) to Google store AND Google services. Now, how can we extrapolate for BlackBerry is another - salted - debate. Yet, not that much more fictional than either going Android or run on Android devices. Just another technically possible option. IF (and that's a big one) Chrome can be ported to BB10 (tried APK w/o success, no surprise) then ...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-03-15 01:30 PM
    Simply put : this will - by nature - clear (part of) the restrictions to gain access for non Android devices (say computers for now) to Google store AND Google services. Now, how can we extrapolate for BlackBerry is another - salted - debate. Yet, not that much more fictional than either going Android or run on Android devices. Just another technically possible option. IF (and that's a big one) Chrome can be ported to BB10 (tried APK w/o success, no surprise) then ...
    Thanks for the explanation. Let's do a thought experiment and see how this might work.

Let's say that Chrome APK can be made to run on BB10. Let's also pretend that Chrome has ARC which allows it to run Android Apps. Does this mean you can now run Google Maps, Play Store, Instagram, and Netflix? Think about how crazy this is. Netflix will be running within ARC runtime in Chrome which in turn will running within the Android runtime in BB10.

In any event it is impossible. The ARC is only available on Chrome for desktops, not on the mobile versions. This is in the article I linked to earlier. This is also the reason why it doesn't work on iOS.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    04-03-15 02:20 PM
    In any event it is impossible. The ARC is only available on Chrome for desktops, not on the mobile versions. This is in the article I linked to earlier. This is also the reason why it doesn't work on iOS.
    Probably "by design" and for competitive reasons, not for technical reasons. Or, is it (calling experts !) ?

P.S: you don't need much to run netflix on your BB10; last time I tested it via snap it was working perfectly. And Google maps already works flawessly in BB10 browser too. The point is Google Services, not features.
    04-04-15 10:40 AM
    also keep in mind ARC runs 1 app at a time so really isnt suitable for real use
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-07-15 08:03 PM
    This is probably not true. Outside of the flagships, many last gen Androids do not have 2 GB RAM and Snapdragon S4 is still a better chipset versus many low/mid end Androids such as the Snapdragon 400 in the Moto G (2014). Furthermore, because BB10 relies on an Android runtime, BB10 will almost always be less efficient/more demanding than Android outside its very limited native ecosystem.
    Can you elaborate on "because BB10 relies on an Android runtime"? Are you saying that running android apps on BB10 relies on an android runtime so running those android apps on top of BB10 will be more demanding than those same android apps on pure android? In that case I agree, but 95% of the time when using a BB10 device you most likely are not using an android app.

I think releasing BB10 for free for some android hardware is a good idea, but the development effort required by blackberry likely would make it not worth the risk.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 01:50 AM
    Can you elaborate on "because BB10 relies on an Android runtime"? Are you saying that running android apps on BB10 relies on an android runtime so running those android apps on top of BB10 will be more demanding than those same android apps on pure android? In that case I agree, but 95% of the time when using a BB10 device you most likely are not using an android app.

I think releasing BB10 for free for some android hardware is a good idea, but the development effort required by blackberry likely would make it not worth the risk.

Posted via CB10
    I think he means that BB10 is has a minimum resource requirement higher than Android. This is due to the Android runtime inside BB10

The least amount of RAM bb10 was able to run so far is 1.5G (in the z3), while some good middle-end Android phones (Moto G for example) only use 1G. So BB10 wouldn't be able to run on most Android devices due to ram restrictions.
    04-08-15 03:13 AM
110 ... 345