04-08-15 03:13 AM
110 ... 2345
tools

Z10 was BlackBerry's flagship device back in 2013.
    not to me, it was a beta device haha. I got rid of it as fast as i could and i didn't even have a stl100-1
    03-22-15 03:18 PM
    not to me, it was a beta device haha.
    Well... the best they had in 2013. I was Q10 user back then, terrible OS.
    03-22-15 03:31 PM
    And the question was ?
    Lol.
    Let's get back on track, will you ?

I for one would at least try a GS6 under BB10, with or without android apps. No Google services ? Not a problem for me (preferred, if you ask).

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-22-15 03:33 PM
    And the question was ?
    Lol.
    Let's get back on track, will you ?

I for one would at least try a GS6 under BB10, with or without android apps. No Google services ? Not a problem for me (preferred, if you ask).

Posted via CB10
    I don't know samsung sacrificed too much for the GS6 - no removeable battery, not water proof/dust proof, no sd card support, 2k res (best screen on the market)/577ppi on a 2,550MaH battery.. That wall huging commercial against apple is going to bite them in the ***

I love the camera (IR selfie sensor on the camera is innovative), screen and casing of the phone though. Finally the samsung doesn't look ugly and runs android insanely smooth. I would actually get it because it's a nice looking phone, i do like how they copied apple with the sides (especially the bottom)
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9znUwpjSy1o/maxresdefault.jpg
    most likely apple will sue but they took the best part from the iphone 6:P

Since the OEMs wouldn't be able to skin BB10 OS most likely, i would go for specs. LG G4 apparently is going to be waterproof, it has the same camera as the samsung and it's just like any other modern phone that is just a slab of glass.

S6 will probably look better and have more sensors so overall I'd try both.
    Last edited by khehl; 03-22-15 at 04:07 PM.
    03-22-15 03:49 PM
    I don't know samsung sacrificed too much for the GS6 - no removeable battery, not water proof/dust proof, no sd card support, 2k res (best screen on the market)/577ppi on a 2,550MaH battery.. That wall huging commercial against apple is going to bite them in the ***

I love the camera (IR selfie sensor on the camera is innovative), screen and casing of the phone though. Finally the samsung doesn't look ugly and runs android insanely smooth. I would actually get it because it's a nice looking phone, i do like how they copied apple with the sides (especially the bottom)

Since the OEMs wouldn't be able to skin BB10 OS most likely, i would go for specs. LG G4 apparently is going to be waterproof, it has the same camera as the samsung and it's just like any other modern phone that is just a slab of glass.

What do you think of the note 4? This is the android phone I have my eye on.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 09:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    If i were to have the Note 4 i would need s pen to work fully. Which BB10 i'm sure will be strict and like I said no skinning. S pen is a huge feature and the G4 is reportedly getting it. The software when you pull out the s pen is insanely productive.

S6 and note 4 guts are basically the same it's more about battery life and size. S6 has faster processor but that is hardly noticeable because they are both work horses. They both have the same sensors and everything S6 just has the IR selfie sensor, and better fingerprint reader.

I personally wouldn't go with the Note 4 because of it's size. I already have a hard enough time with my passport in one hand.

Like I said though no skinning on BB10 so you are basically just picking between glass slabs. I would want more sensors and water resistance.

For android Note 4 is probably one of the most powerful phones and definitely would be a go to for a power user. I would get it over the Nexus 6 any day. Lollipop runs better on the nexus 6 but that is an easy fix.

Sorry that I didn't put much thought into this message as you might have hoped :P Maybe later i will edit it with real thought. lol
    03-22-15 11:06 PM

Did Samsung really copy Apple?

Here are pictures of the Samsung Ativ S from *2012*...

Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-samsung-ativ-s-09-jpg455834a6-7d29-4615-a44c-c49003840593large.jpg

Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-2.-samsung-ativ-s-review-hardware-image-courtesy-anand-tech.jpg

Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-samsung-ativ-s-new1.jpg

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    03-23-15 03:58 AM
    For some reason my images of the 2012 Samsung Ativ S don't appear in CB10??

Trying to upload via CB Android app...

Via CB Android on BB10 (Z30)
    Attached Thumbnails Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-samsung-ativ-s-09-jpg455834a6-7d29-4615-a44c-c49003840593large.jpg   Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-2.-samsung-ativ-s-review-hardware-image-courtesy-anand-tech.jpg   Don't go Android : RUN on android (HW) !-samsung-ativ-s-new1.jpg  
    03-23-15 04:04 AM
    For some reason my images of the 2012 Samsung Ativ S don't appear in CB10??

Trying to upload via CB Android app...

Via CB Android on BB10 (Z30)
    That worked. Never saw that phone:P I only really know the flagship tbh

I guess I was wrong. My bad

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 08:31 AM
    That worked. Never saw that phone:P I only really know the flagship tbh

I guess I was wrong. My bad

Posted via CB10
    I was only made aware of the Ativ S a few days ago myself. Never heard of it before.

03-23-15 10:14 AM
    I was only made aware of the Ativ S a few days ago myself. Never heard of it before.

Lol samsung spits out like 20 phones a year but people only know like 3 models.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 10:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have you considered a Nexus 6?

It's the straight Android experience.

Any Samsung product is going to have their crap touchwiz skin on it. Lots of pointless bells and whistles no one uses, that just slow down the OS.
    03-23-15 06:56 PM

Any Samsung product is going to have their crap touchwiz skin on it. Lots of pointless bells and whistles no one uses, that just slow down the OS.
    Androids are so easy to modify that the skin should be the last thing on your mind...
    It's better to have them and to get rid of them then to not have them at all.

TBH the only point to get a droid is to modify the crap out of it if you don't do that then iOS is your best option because of the ecosytem. Samsung has an ecosystem compared to the androids which is why it would be a good buy.

If i wanted to get the smoothest running pure android without modifying it and no ecosystem, i'd go with oneplus 2. Especially with OxygenOS releasing this week on the OnePlus One damnn, cyanogen is really dropping the ball lately. (and yes it has the google play store and services)

I would never get a nexus.
    Last edited by khehl; 03-23-15 at 08:02 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-23-15 07:36 PM

The size of the Note 4 is perfect IMO. I believe the Nexus 6 is bigger. I also like Samsung HW. The display on the Note 4 is unreal. My Z30's screen is embarrassing in comparison.
    03-23-15 10:58 PM
    Androids are so easy to modify that the skin should be the last thing on your mind...
    It's better to have them and to get rid of them then to not have them at all.

TBH the only point to get a droid is to modify the crap out of it if you don't do that then iOS is your best option because of the ecosytem. Samsung has an ecosystem compared to the androids which is why it would be a good buy.

If i wanted to get the smoothest running pure android without modifying it and no ecosystem, i'd go with oneplus 2. Especially with OxygenOS releasing this week on the OnePlus One damnn, cyanogen is really dropping the ball lately. (and yes it has the google play store and services)

I would never get a nexus.
    Not really. iOS is so locked down. Not having basic things like a file manager would bug me. I like having a phone that can behave like a mini laptop. That's one thing I love I love about my Z30. I would love it if BB would release an all touch with flagship HW.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-23-15 11:00 PM
    Not really. iOS is so locked down. Not having basic things like a file manager would bug me. I like having a phone that can behave like a mini laptop. That's one thing I love I love about my Z30. I would love it if BB would release an all touch with flagship HW.
    Agreed.

iPhone is too locked down. I'd go for a Galaxy S6 and replace the launcher.

Gorgeous looking phone, amazing camera, amazing display, amazing performance.

In fact, early reviews are finding that Samsung's updated 'lighter weight' TouchWiz skin no longer lags at all (like it did in previous versions), and it's not loaded down with bloat ware or gimmick-ware anymore. Also, it allows you to delete virtually any of the (much fewer) preloaded apps, included carrier apps and Google's suite of apps.

I prefer BB10, but if I jumped ship, I'd definitely go with the S6.

Last edited by mnc76; 03-24-15 at 01:40 AM.
    MarsupilamiX and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-24-15 12:25 AM
    I would love to see Samsung and Blackberry make a device with Android as the primary OS with a OS10 skin that had the Hub, Peak, Calendar and the gesture concept.

Now you would have something that would be unique on the market that just might draw some folks back into the Blackberry world because the OS would now support Google play services and have access to the Google app world and paid apps.

I know I will get blasted by the faithful for this, but I think a partnership with a major company like Samsung just might be what the doctor ordered.

Especially on the customer support front where Samsung could provide the support for the device, that alone might get folks here in the USA thinking about the brand again knowing they where being back by a major company, just a thought.
    MarsupilamiX, toneytone and JeepBB like this.
    03-24-15 04:11 AM
    I know I will get blasted by the faithful for this, but I think a partnership with a major company like Samsung just might be what the doctor ordered.
    With a 0.4% market share and shrinking, a move like that is inevitable.
    03-24-15 07:43 AM
    Agreed.

iPhone is too locked down. I'd go for a Galaxy S6 and replace the launcher.

Gorgeous looking phone, amazing camera, amazing display, amazing performance.

In fact, early reviews are finding that Samsung's updated 'lighter weight' TouchWiz skin no longer lags at all (like it did in previous versions), and it's not loaded down with bloat ware or gimmick-ware anymore. Also, it allows you to delete virtually any of the (much fewer) preloaded apps, included carrier apps and Google's suite of apps.

I prefer BB10, but if I jumped ship, I'd definitely go with the S6.

Would it be possible to install the new light weight TouchWiz skin on a Note 4?
    03-24-15 01:25 PM
    Would it be possible to install the new light weight TouchWiz skin on a Note 4?
    The problem with the Note was always the S-pen support concerning alternative OS versions.

So I would guess that is a no, until Samsung releases it's own updated version for the Note.
    It's just a guess though.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 03-24-15 at 05:31 PM.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-24-15 04:56 PM
    I would agree if it's given that we're talking about a person that LOVES tinkering with ROM's and hanging out on XDA a lot. But not everyone is. Not even most, as a matter of fact. I am, understand. And maybe you are, but not everyone is.

My problem with Samsung is mostly a philosophical one. I think they got where they got by stealing from Apple and that grates on me. In much the same way as Blackberry propping themselves up with a runtime that leeches off the work of Android devs grates on me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-25-15 02:02 AM
    My problem with Samsung is mostly a philosophical one. I think they got where they got by stealing from Apple and that grates on me. In much the same way as Blackberry propping themselves up with a runtime that leeches off the work of Android devs grates on me.
    Then go Windows Phone. They didn't steal from anyone lol
    03-25-15 08:08 AM
    Then go Windows Phone. They didn't steal from anyone lol
    Yup, we're the good guys alright

If this was a Western, we'd be wearing the white hats!

As to theft though, WinPhone has a bone to pick with BB re: Live Tiles (aka ActiveFrames)... Phew, just as well it works better on WinPhone. LOL

Tbh, I don't really have a problem with such IPR/concept erm "borrowing" as everyone does it, and the winners are generally us, the consumers, as good ideas move across platforms and it raises everyone's game.
    03-25-15 08:18 AM
    Yup, we're the good guys alright

If this was a Western, we'd be wearing the white hats!

As to theft though, WinPhone has a bone to pick with BB re: Live Tiles (aka ActiveFrames)... Phew, just as well it works better on WinPhone. LOL

Tbh, I don't really have a problem with such IPR/concept erm "borrowing" as everyone does it, and the winners are generally us, the consumers, as good ideas move across platforms and it raises everyone's game.
    I agree in the broad sense but those early Samsung's were just too much. Down to the packaging!

This taken with the way they basically gave Android a black eye for several years while they foisted TouchWiz upon the world. Millions thought they were using "Android" and that it actually sucked that bad.

Not that Android didn't have its own problems back then, of course.

There's a good reason Apple ran away with an early, commanding lead and its more than first mover advantage.

03-25-15 11:16 PM
    I agree in the broad sense but those early Samsung's were just too much. Down to the packaging!

This taken with the way they basically gave Android a black eye for several years while they foisted TouchWiz upon the world. Millions thought they were using "Android" and that it actually sucked that bad.

Not that Android didn't have its own problems back then, of course.

There's a good reason Apple ran away with an early, commanding lead and its more than first mover advantage.

Personally I disagree.
    Phones like the LG Prada, the Samsung Armani phone, a lot of Windows Mobile phones had very similar design to the iPhone.

I really do not see the early Samsung flagships as that much of a problem. There has been so much prior art concerning the form factor, that I'd debate for hours, how wrong the accusations of copying are. At least concerning the form-factor. Now packaging, the headphones... Is another theme for me, but 9 years after the OG iPhone, I wouldn't say that Samsung copied them. Too much prior art out there.

I also preferred Android back then to iOS, because of all the tinkering, the slider phones, sd card support and flash support.
    All reasons why I loved Meego and BB10 as well, and would never buy a Samsung Galaxy S6. Samsung went "full ******" with that phone (pricing, removable battery, sd card). They are basically begging me to buy an iPhone with that product.
    1000$ for the Edge.... I call that delusions of grandeur.

Nowadays, I am not a big fan of Android anymore. I probably used it too much, or didn't see enough progress in terms of app permissions, better looking apps, and maybe I am just biased.

But yeah, I think that the whole copying thing considering early Android and the "rectangular slab" was blown completely out of proportion and I totally agreed with comments back then, who sarcastically wondered, if Apple successfully patented the rectangle.
    03-26-15 01:45 AM
110 ... 2345