09-24-13 08:27 AM
76 123 ...
tools
    So im reading this article:

BlackBerry prepares to get carved up - MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

and just get blindsided by the last paragraphs...

The naming of the new smartphone is a bit odd to anyone who has worked in journalism for a long time. While not in use much at all now, the term -30- was used since the early days of journalism to designate the end of a story.

Why did the marketing executives at BlackBerry decide in their naming schemes to jump to Z30 from the Z10 is anyones guess. Perhaps it was a Freudian slip.
    so... what, no one can use the number 30 anymore? why is this even mentioned if it is 'not in use much at all now'. man, these 'reporters' are horrible.

Then you have other people commenting (on another article) like:

Wanderer wrote:
    No surprise, I predicted this 5 years ago.
    lol... yea, if you say something for a long time eventually youll be right. Can anyone find a 'good' article for me to read about BB? lol
    xweb10 likes this.
    09-18-13 06:15 PM
    Well I've never heard of using the term 30 to end a story. So how come when I'm reading newspapers there is no "30" at the end of each story? Or is it only used during the draft stage before it goes to print.. Gawd its not like the public in general knows this term. That writer should be asking how many US kids know where each state is.
    09-18-13 06:21 PM
    Holy overraction Batman! The writer was simply making an observation that only applies to old time journalists. Nothing nefarious about that.

"The naming of the new smartphone is a bit odd to anyone who has worked in journalism for a long time."

FYI: –30– - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-18-13 06:39 PM
    Yes, editors would put "-30-" at the bottom of a story before it was sent down to the printer for typesetting, but claiming it's evidence of some kind of corporate death wish is really reaching.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-18-13 06:42 PM
    I doubt it will. After all the amazing press releases and good news coming to Blackberry they had to stir up the pop.

Kevin said something earlier in a podcast that made complete sense and is so true. A Senior (C-level) employee of Blackberry will resign, take a job at Samsung, resign from Samsung get a job at Apple, resign from Apple and get a job at Nokia and the only media coverage you will hear of that whole scenario is about the resignation from Blackberry. Seems ridiculous but the fact that it actually some validity is absurd.
    stevepar and milo53 like this.
    09-18-13 06:46 PM
    So im reading this article:

BlackBerry prepares to get carved up - MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

and just get blindsided by the last paragraphs...

so... what, no one can use the number 30 anymore? why is this even mentioned if it is 'not in use much at all now'. man, these 'reporters' are horrible.

Then you have other people commenting (on another article) like:

lol... yea, if you say something for a long time eventually youll be right. Can anyone find a 'good' article for me to read about BB? lol

I think naming the last device -30- is a sick joke perpetrated by a mole inside BBRY as part of the anti-BBRY conspiracy covertly conducted by Apple and Samsung and certain individuals inside the U.S. government who had prior knowledge of 9/11
    09-18-13 07:00 PM
    I think naming the last device -30- is a sick joke perpetrated by a mole inside BBRY as part of the anti-BBRY conspiracy covertly conducted by Apple and Samsung and certain individuals inside the U.S. government who had prior knowledge of 9/11
    I was think the same thing...

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:12 PM
    The reason there's do much negativity is because the company has been run into the ground. Besides the . 05 percent of the off shoots who come to this forum, no one buys BlackBerry phones or apps or even thinks about BlackBerry.
    It's like palm or Edsel or Studebaker or Macdonald Douglas. On the way to oblivion.
    Lesson to remember while wallowing: leadership counts. Leadership is EVERYTHING.

Posted via CB10
    CHIP72, rodan01 and richardat like this.
    09-18-13 08:21 PM
    So true. And I believe Heins is a undercover sent by Apple to break the company......
    09-18-13 08:21 PM
    We can no longer have our day. We don't have a lot to celebrate about and when we do someone always come in to ruin the parade.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-18-13 08:26 PM
    Does the negativity ever stop?

Yes, as soon as you folks stop giving this kind of nonsense the gravity it clearly does not deserve.
    Writers write, analysts... nevermind, too easy Read it, don't take it personally and move on.
    09-18-13 08:35 PM

Yes, as soon as you folks stop giving this kind of nonsense the gravity it clearly does not deserve.
    Writers write, analysts... nevermind, too easy Read it, don't take it personally and move on.

Not realistic or reasonable.

If it weren't for tons of vocal BBRY fans taking these people to task on a regular basis, it would happen even more often.

It's bias, and in many cases borders on blatant stock market manipulation when it comes to securities analysts.

Remember all the BS that Detwiler Fenton used to spew about BBRY, including this nonsense about supposedly having "more returns than sales"? Well the company finally got fed up with it and called for the SEC to do an investigation over it. Even Verizon made a public statement about it that, in a nutshell, essentially said that DF was talking out of their *ss.

No one has heard a PEEP from Detwiler Fenton about BBRY since then. And I say good riddance.
    eddy_berry and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-18-13 08:51 PM
    Well the company finally got fed up with it and called for the SEC to do an investigation over it. Even Verizon made a public statement about it that, in a nutshell, essentially said that DF was talking out of their *ss.
    Well, sadly, BB can't say anything to the WSJ about this because they have been saying for a long while now that cuts were expected so the story itself isn't them saying anything unusual. BB going after them for their remarkable timing just a few hours after a launch of their latest phone will garner no attention because WSJ has not done anything wrong. They can just say it was scheduled to print this day and no knowledge of any BB event or launch was known. Even though I have a feeling they knew about some massive layoffs and held it for exactly this reason. I'm thinking the 3AM ET announcement was meant to spark a stock rise when the market opened and WSJ killed it as quickly as possible. Can't prove it though.
    09-18-13 09:01 PM
    Here's a good article for you.

http://investorplace.com/2013/09/bla...dl4bKM.twitter

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:05 PM
    Honestly posting this thread only adds to it....
    09-18-13 09:13 PM
    @Omnitech

Did Fenton write this particular article for the Wall Street Journal?
    Since you have stated "no one has heard a PEEP from Fenton since" WTF does he have to do with this discussion in particular or anything recent, in general?

I'm not going to argue the tired, worn out media bias / market manipulation conspiracies with you because I have neither the patience, the time or an adequate amount of liquor to make the undertaking even remotely interesting.

so for example... something like this helps SAVE battery on iOS7

How to stop iOS 7 from destroying your iPhone's battery life | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

but when we were suggesting our members to do the exact same thing, for the exact same reason, on the BRAND NEW BB10 operating system on BRAND NEW hardware people (including journalists) were saying that we shouldnt have to pull tricks like that to save battery, it should be baked into the system. But then the UPDATED, not brand new from ground up, iOS eats through battery... but it is 'ok'

Im not making excuses for BB, there are many problems. but people are MAKING problems where there arent any... and it is costing (more) people their jobs.
    cjcampbell and stevepar like this.
    Honestly posting this thread only adds to it....
    Thus my comment about giving this stuff unneeded gravity...
    09-18-13 09:16 PM
    yep i know and agree.
    09-18-13 09:18 PM
    Well, sadly, BB can't say anything to the WSJ about this because they have been saying for a long while now that cuts were expected so the story itself isn't them saying anything unusual. BB going after them for their remarkable timing just a few hours after a launch of their latest phone will garner no attention because WSJ has not done anything wrong. They can just say it was scheduled to print this day and no knowledge of any BB event or launch was known. Even though I have a feeling they knew about some massive layoffs and held it for exactly this reason. I'm thinking the 3AM ET announcement was meant to spark a stock rise when the market opened and WSJ killed it as quickly as possible. Can't prove it though.
    actually they can... as you said BB has laid out this plan a long time ago and many news sources keep reporting EVERY round of firing like it is breaking news. IT IS NOT. it is part of a plan and regardless of if you like that plan or not (I dont like to see anyone lose a job) it was set out, and even restated in the AGM. the original article i posted does not even mention that the employees knew this was coming, that doesnt make it any better... but it at least softens the blow. These 'professionals' are not doing a very professional job, they are leaving out many facts and basing articles on speculation and conjecture and that is the problem. Also, the timing is pretty damn amazing.
    09-18-13 09:18 PM
    Thus my comment about giving this stuff unneeded gravity...
    I dont see it that way, the original post asked if anyone could post positive articles... people took the thread the other way. We also shouldnt become complacent and ignore the fact that this is happening. We cant really do anything, but it is good to post and discuss these articles and differences to try and educate the members on the forum.
    09-18-13 09:22 PM
    so for example... something like this helps SAVE battery on iOS7
    Your argument loses steam because you are now comparing coverage of a technical issue with something that the OPs article is not about. Be that as it may, do you really think BlackBerry is the only tech company that gets bad press? They all do, but I suspect that people will only notice the coverage of the companies they care about. To that end people over amplify this "supposed" negativity towards BlackBerry.

Just one more point...your last sentence...the media is not why BlackBerry is where it is, is not responsible for people losing their jobs. That rest squarely on the shoulders of the decision makers at BBRY and trying to shift the blame, even marginally, is just misguided.
    h20work, richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    09-18-13 09:25 PM
    Here's a good article for you.

BlackBerry Beats Apple to the Punch With Z30 | InvestorPlace

Posted via CB10
    See, this is something that people should see. It hits on the troubles of BB, which are 100% true, and the REAL reasons for them... but it also shows that there is, some, progress being made. The public needs to be educated on things they are buying, and we know the majority of people wont research for themselves, so by having media outlets 'reporting' these false/exagerated claims is crazy.
    09-18-13 09:26 PM
    I dont see it that way, the original post asked if anyone could post positive articles... people took the thread the other way. We also shouldnt become complacent and ignore the fact that this is happening. We cant really do anything, but it is good to post and discuss these articles and differences to try and educate the members on the forum.
    I agree completely BUT there has to come a point where people read these things, separate out what is true, what is speculation and what is total idiocy. Getting hung up on any particular article / analysis in the sea of information that is out there and treating it as a cause clbre is really unproductive.
    09-18-13 09:29 PM
    See, this is something that people should see.
    They do, hell there is even a thread about it in this very section: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ch-z30-850845/
    09-18-13 09:31 PM
76 123 ...