View Poll Results: Did Day 1 Impress or Not?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 28.93%
  • No

57 47.11%
  • Inbetween

29 23.97%
10-19-11 07:31 PM
51 123
tools
    Just a simple yes I saw something that impressed or no I did not or somewhere in between.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-18-11 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add saw
    10-18-11 05:02 PM
    No.

Especially with Jim's prior comments about leapfrogging the competition. Providing a tool that let's some Android developers port their old, already existing apps to the Playbook is not leaping over the competition... it's trying to play catch up by copying some old apps to your App World. A great majority of the rest of the day was Dutch people talking about 3D games and HTML.
    Shlooky and vrs626 like this.
    10-18-11 05:09 PM
    I wasn't able to keep up with today so trying to catch up.
    10-18-11 05:11 PM
    I waited patiently for two months for them to announce the 9790 and I was certain it would come out today. Not a single word said about it, i'm very disappointed.
    10-18-11 05:13 PM
    Disappointed as well. And that's coming froman Android user that is looking for a good excuse to switch back to BlackBerry. Nothing said at Devcon convinced me. Still with Google. C'Mon, RIM!
    mustangv8 likes this.
    10-18-11 05:16 PM
    how can you be dissapointed by today?? Cause they didnt show new phones... which they never said they were going to do in the first place?? I watched the whole webcast and was very impressed with things. Its called DEVcon for a reason. And what they brought to the table developer wise was impressive. Stop trying to make it out to be something it was never supposed to be.
    10-18-11 05:18 PM
    I'm excited for BBX, or as I prefer the more tasty name of BBQ
    Guatiao, jerry12 and rleo25 like this.
    10-18-11 05:26 PM
    I waited patiently for two months for them to announce the 9790 and I was certain it would come out today. Not a single word said about it, i'm very disappointed.

Why did you expect them to announce a phone at a developer conference?
    This was a keynote to show developers the potential when developing apps for BlackBerry, and the tools they are provided

I'm pretty excited for all that is possible with html5 and webGL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 05:30 PM
    There was quite a bit to like as a developer. There were demonstrations of some really nice development libraries. Much improved development tools. UI libraries. 3D engines and libraries. TAT alone has developed some really impressive tools for UI development. OS 2.0 developer beta was released.

I don't know why people are getting uppity about no new device or app announcements. The number one focus for RIM right now is to build up their development ecosystem. To do that they really need to focus on developers. Which is what Devcon is all about. It wasn't intended to be a trade show for consumers.
    10-18-11 05:30 PM
    I was something in between, but im open for more from RIM in the next 2 days.
    C'mon RIM you have way more things under your sleeve bring them out...!
    10-18-11 05:32 PM
    Well I'd say it's encouraging that developers find it was good anyway, isn't that what it's all about anyway?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-18-11 05:54 PM
    The Cascades UI Framework stuff was definitely "leapfrog"worthy. It shows incredible potential when unleashed to the Developer community.

Additionally, I really liked Alec Saunders keynote, (except for the name BlackBerry Jam). The segment mythbusting rumors and common misconception was entertaining and hit some key points about the platform.

Most importantly, they basically told developers the development strategy for the next generation of devices. Build on HTML 5 and Native.

The feature I think was the most useful was the ability to edit graphics in photoshop and directly import them into the app without code changes.
    Chrisy, quik4life, Guatiao and 2 others like this.
    10-18-11 06:00 PM
    So it took iOS from March of 08 when they released their beta tools to July 08 to have 500 apps.

Are we looking at that kind of timeline or?
    10-18-11 06:26 PM
    Well I'd say it's encouraging that developers find it was good anyway, isn't that what it's all about anyway?
    And knowing that the PlayBook isnt dead
    10-18-11 06:30 PM
    They said there would be prototypes of QNx hh and nothing
    Jims comments of leapfrogging and nothing

People says nothing gets announced at devcon its for developers excuse me but wasn't the playbook announced at deacon last year?

People have been waiting for a native email for six months and they have the nuts today to release 2.o beta for developers are they crazy after the ceo made those comments about 60days 180 days ago so now what another sixty days till its released this is a joke

The android app player was supposed to be hear at the end of summer what wtf happened to that ?

You say your new platform for bb next year is bbx. With put even a located what they look like or what the ui looks like BS your lucky if they are released by summer

The. BS. Just keeps on rolling with theses guys they have taken this company with a market cap of 70 billion dollars three years ago to 12 billion today that says it all!

I have always defended RIM but I have had enough every even there's a big lead up O this is the one that blows us away! Or this is rims last chance to shine and always nothing just bs after bs and then some more BS!!!!!!!!!!!
    mustangv8 and vrs626 like this.
    10-18-11 06:34 PM
    As a developer, I was impressed.
    I wasn't there, but from the amount of tweets during the General Session and posts I'm reading now, I have this feeling that there were too many bloggers there (instead of developers).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-11 08:10 PM
    I wasn't there, but from the amount of tweets during the General Session and posts I'm reading now, I have this feeling that there were too many bloggers there (instead of developers).
    Hummm not sure how to take that. But nice knowing as a developer you were impressed!
    10-18-11 08:13 PM
    I'd have been disappointed if they just tossed out a new OS without giving developers a beta to play with. I don't know what the rest of you were watching today, bit I felt like a kid in a candy store. The BBX environment fits developers as opposed to other OSs where the developer needs to fit the environment.

The suites of tools available along with the extensive libraries that will be included makes for an awesome playground for developers. RIM has nailed it correctly supporting a mix of native and HTML5 apps while continuing to support Flash right out of the box.

We finally got to see the TAT contribution to the UI as well as samples showcasing the new awesome Cascades control. Last year's DevCon showed us what was potentially down the road. Today showed what's here.

I hope that non-developer end users will refrain from downloading the beta for every day use. It's a developer beta (like the simulator). Hang on for the final release. Also understand that the production 2.0 will be different from an end user perspective, so hang on.

Sure we've had to wait a long time for this. But at least, from today on, we know what 2.0 is going to be under the hood. The leather seats, chrome wheels, and pinstripes will be in the final release. I feel great about what I saw today. RIM differentiated the Playbook (and BBX) from the rest of the pack.

We saw the implementation of the Android player today. The native PIM stuff is on the way. I'm sure many of the bug fixes and tweaks we have been whining about will be done. I'm pretty sure I heard mention of enhancements to USB functionality. And I'm sure more to come.

I could go on all night, but I'd rather play with my new dev toys right now!
    Last edited by louzer; 10-18-11 at 08:22 PM.
    10-18-11 08:19 PM
    I'd have been disappointed if they just tossed out a new OS without giving developers a beta to play with. I don't know what the rest of you were watching today, bit I felt like a kid in a candy store. The BBX environment fits developers as opposed to other OSs where the developer needs to fit the environment.

The suites of tools available along with the extensive libraries that will be included makes for an awesome playground for developers. RIM has nailed it correctly supporting a mix of native and HTML5 apps while continuing to support Flash right out of the box.

We finally got to see the TAT contribution to the UI as well as samples showcasing the new awesome Cascades control. Last year's DevCon showed us what was potentially down the road. Today showed what's here.

I hope that non-developer end users will refrain from downloading the beta for every day use. It's a developer beta (like the simulator). Hang on for the final release. Also understand that the production 2.0 will be different from an end user perspective, so hang on.

Sure we've had to wait a long time for this. But at least, from today on, we know what 2.0 is going to be under the hood. The leather seats, chrome wheels, and pinstripes will be in the final release. I feel great about what I saw today. RIM differentiated the Playbook (and BBX) from the rest of the pack.

We saw the implementation of the Android player today. The native PIM stuff is on the way. I'm sure many of the bug fixes and tweaks we have been whining about will be done. I'm pretty sure I heard mention of enhancements to USB functionality. And I'm sure more to come.

Sounds good to me
    10-18-11 08:23 PM
    They said there would be prototypes of QNx hh and nothing
    Jims comments of leapfrogging and nothing

People says nothing gets announced at devcon its for developers excuse me but wasn't the playbook announced at deacon last year?

People have been waiting for a native email for six months and they have the nuts today to release 2.o beta for developers are they crazy after the ceo made those comments about 60days 180 days ago so now what another sixty days till its released this is a joke

The android app player was supposed to be hear at the end of summer what wtf happened to that ?

You say your new platform for bb next year is bbx. With put even a located what they look like or what the ui looks like BS your lucky if they are released by summer

The. BS. Just keeps on rolling with theses guys they have taken this company with a market cap of 70 billion dollars three years ago to 12 billion today that says it all!

I have always defended RIM but I have had enough every even there's a big lead up O this is the one that blows us away! Or this is rims last chance to shine and always nothing just bs after bs and then some more BS!!!!!!!!!!!

They never Actually said they would show QNX handhelds at DevCON
    They said they would be showing them in the near future. but because they also spoke about showing developer tools at devCON people miss read the context to assume.

They BOMBED it with PIM on the PlayBook, I really think RIM needs to SHUT JIM UP, and I am very happy that today RIM didn't show off stuff that wont be out for 6 months, hopefully they are learning we want hints closer to release, no more super long lead times, PLUS! today was Android events, AND Apple earnings call, you don't want to show something off and then it get wiped away by all the other news
    Laura Knotek and sf49ers like this.
    10-18-11 08:24 PM
    People really seem excited for cascades! BUT also disappointed that they were told the SDK probably wont be out till Fall of this year at the end of the break away session
    batboris likes this.
    10-18-11 08:26 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Brilliantly said .. the infrastructure for massive new app development is now put in place ... other announcements will be forthcoming regarding other features (email ,etc) that will be part of the final 2.0 release for Playbook ... it all looks VERY PROMISING!!!
    10-18-11 08:29 PM
    Steve Ballmer said it best.

10-18-11 08:58 PM
    Hummm not sure how to take that. But nice knowing as a developer you were impressed!
    I have nothing against bloggers. After all, we get a lot of info from them.

What I was trying to say is that I got the feeling that most of the people there were not actually developers. Lot of them were there just to hear about new devices. Others were spamming the Update button on their Playbook waiting for an OS 2.0 update to appear.
    Take a look at the Have you downloaded 2.0 yet? Post here! post and you'll see what I mean.

Why I was excited as a developer?
    Well, I'm developing an app for BB at the moment and I have plans to create a version for the Playbook. After the General session, I got so many ideas for this Playbook version that got me excited
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-11 09:06 PM
    DEVCON stands for DEVelopers, not DEVices. Are some people really confused by the focus of this conference? It's like going to a baseball game and complaining that there were no field goals kicked... or there were no swing bands at Monsters of Rock...
    zocster, batboris, ekv and 1 others like this.
    10-18-11 09:14 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD