01-21-15 07:48 PM
167 ... 23456 ...
tools
    NET BENEFIT TO CANADIANS. Not governments, CANADIANS. CAN-EH-DEE-ANS.

Explain where that happens in your scenario.

Then go read this:

BlackBerry Says Western Nations Wouldn?t Allow China Bid - Bloomberg

Now read it again, this time replacing "China" with "South Korea" and "Lenovo" with "Samsung".

Any questions?
    If the Canadian government wont allow an acquisition, I dont think they can stop the two separate companies to form a strong partnership.
    masterscarhead1 likes this.
    01-14-15 04:33 PM
    It simply won't happen
    Canadian government won't let it happen even if Chen and Samsung both want to go for it
    But this will do BB some good by showing the world what BB is worth at the very least
    CarbonKevin likes this.
    01-14-15 04:35 PM
    Whew - False alarm! - but the stock price fall tomorrow should be epic!

BlackBerry Responds to Media Report (ccnm)
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 14, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) ("BlackBerry") is aware of certain press reports published today with respect to a possible offer by Samsung to purchase BlackBerry. BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry. BlackBerry's policy is not to comment on rumors or speculation, and accordingly it does not intend to comment further.
    About BlackBerry
    A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

Contact Information:

Media Contact:

BlackBerry Media Relations

(519) 888-7465 x77273

mediarelations@BlackBerry.com

Investor Contact:

BlackBerry Investor Relations

(519) 888-7465

investor_relations@BlackBerry.com
    Thank you for choosing TD Waterhouse. At TD Waterhouse we are committed to providing you with the information, tools and resources you need to stay on top of the markets and invest with confidence.
    To change your alert settings or to unsubscribe from the alerts service, please login to WebBroker.
    TD Waterhouse Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. TD Waterhouse Canada Inc. - Member of the Canadian Investor
    01-14-15 04:40 PM
    NET BENEFIT TO CANADIANS. Not governments, CANADIANS. CAN-EH-DEE-ANS.

Explain where that happens in your scenario.

Then go read this:

BlackBerry Says Western Nations Wouldn?t Allow China Bid - Bloomberg

Now read it again, this time replacing "China" with "South Korea" and "Lenovo" with "Samsung".

Any questions?

Posted via CB10
    Well, while we're all speculating here, I'll add my two cents. If Chen really did have discussions with Samsung recently regarding a potential buyout, I would speculate that he also had behind the scenes discussions with Prem and with government officials that gave him comfort to conclude whatever he may have concluded. So, if the story is more than just noise, I suspect it is possibly very close to being a done deal. And Prem would be making a hefty premium on his convertible investment and a nice partial recovery on his massively underwater original investment. This really IS getting interesting!
    01-14-15 04:41 PM
    Blackberry has denied the rumors. Let's see how this plays out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-14-15 04:42 PM
    Oh well it was fun while it lasted :P
    CarbonKevin likes this.
    01-14-15 04:42 PM
    If the Canadian government wont allow an acquisition, I dont think they can stop the two separate companies to form a strong partnership.
    They can stop anything that runs counter to the interest of Canada and it's allies.

Samsung is looking to gain access to certain bits of BlackBerry Tech. So why not just license it?

Simple. The things they want aren't on the table. They're the secure microkernel, NOC, all the crown jewels. They are for BlackBerry and BlackBerry alone.

THAT is why they're resorting to a friendly takeover attempt, to test the waters. If it's turned down at the board level, they may attempt a hostile takeover, which would then be blocked by the Government of Canada. If the board approves the sale outright, the Canadian Government could either block it outright, or require the company split and key parts retained, which you can bet are the key parts Samsung is after in the first place.

Which brings me full circle. The deal won't happen in any form.

Posted via CB10
    thedose and LuvULongTime like this.
    01-14-15 04:43 PM
    Like I called it, 0% chance. Partnering, possibly using the BB10 OS, maybe. Outright taking over, no way.
    01-14-15 04:44 PM
    Chen will now cash in saying jobs done and shareholder value is up. Will wipe his hands clean and walk away. He will be exposed for the snake he is like sybase
    01-14-15 04:48 PM
    well ... the stock is going back down in after-hours trading.
    01-14-15 04:49 PM
    if the canadian gov stands in the way, the stock may become a penny item ...they are, according to the street, doomed...

BlackBerry (BBRY) Stock Lower Today After Robert W. Baird Cuts Price Target - TheStreet

This rumor first came to light a little over a year ago. I don't think the Canadian Government will let this happen.
    01-14-15 04:51 PM
    Chen will now cash in saying jobs done and shareholder value is up. Will wipe his hands clean and walk away. He will be exposed for the snake he is like sybase
    Definitely. For sure. Yup. Uh huh. Which is why BlackBerry just issued a release saying this is an unfounded rumor.

Nailed it.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:52 PM

Even if this turns out to be a false alarm given the reaction here it looks to me that even the most faithful Blackberry supporters don't have much faith in a turnaround. IMO I think at the very least BB will leave the devices market sooner rather then later, unless there is some major improvement in device sales this quarter, which I doubt is happening.
    01-14-15 04:55 PM

Blackberry has had so many fake buyout rumors. Considering the source, I can see the SEC getting involved in this one.
    01-14-15 05:04 PM
    Even if this turns out to be a false alarm given the reaction here it looks to me that even the most faithful Blackberry supporters don't have much faith in a turnaround. IMO I think at the very least BB will leave the devices market sooner rather then later, unless there is some major improvement in device sales this quarter, which I doubt is happening.
    They've nearly entered profit territory WITH declining device sales. That proves they're able to make money on services as well as devices. Device sales aren't key to the turnaround. That was Thor's belief, and it was, and still is, wrong.

Posted via CB10
    abwan11 and LuvULongTime like this.
    01-14-15 05:04 PM
    I just called Blackberry investor relations. They are denying it. Whewww! I am happy again!
    CarbonKevin likes this.
    01-14-15 05:12 PM
    well ... the stock is going back down in after-hours trading.
    that's why you sell on the buyout rumours and then buy after they're denied and the stock tumbles back down.
    01-14-15 05:14 PM
    I'm exhausted. Clearly what they say is true - it takes far more effort to refute bullsh!t on the internet than it takes to write bullsh!t on the internet.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-14-15 05:21 PM
    They've nearly entered profit territory WITH declining device sales. That proves they're able to make money on services as well as devices. Device sales aren't key to the turnaround. That was Thor's belief, and it was, and still is, wrong.

Posted via CB10
    We will just have to wait and see. As of the most recent quarterly results, they were losing revenues on ALL legacy lines of business - both hardware AND services. All the growth comes from new initiatives - so, we will have to wait and see. But unless we see some of that growth, then the declining revenues are going to seriously jeopardize any future profits, as the very aggressively reduced costs structure may still prove to be too high as revenues continue to decline. I think BBRY will remain a sentiment driven stock for the foreseeable future.
    CarbonKevin likes this.
    01-14-15 05:21 PM
    You never know. There has been rumors before.
    01-14-15 05:34 PM
    Say what you will about Samsung, but they are capable of manufacturing some decent products. BlackBerry devices designed and built by Samsung would probably be pretty nice.

Samsung could revive its old BlackBerry competitor, as an actual BlackBerry! Haha the BlackBerry BlackJack.
    01-14-15 05:54 PM

Chen has repeatedly stated he isn't interested in selling BlackBerry. Many analysts are saying the stock is undervalued, and have pegged it to hit $15-$20 in the mid term. A max of 15.49 per share is bugger all in terms of value to shareholders.
    You live in fantasy land...which analyst said the the stock is worth $15-20 if the majority downgraded the stock with target of $8-9?
    Analyst Ratings for BlackBerry (BBRY)
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...194734100.html
    01-14-15 06:01 PM
    All this would end up being a giant patent grab... secondary would be ownership of the security apparatus... anyone thinking Samsung would even care about the rest simply does not understand how these giant corporations work... think Microsoft/Nokia, HP/Palm, Google/Motorola... how did that work out for those acquired????... any questions....
    01-14-15 06:09 PM
    Well, this news gave me a heart attack...
    01-14-15 06:10 PM
    You live in fantasy land...which analyst said the the stock is worth $15-20 if the majority downgraded the stock with target of $8-9?
    Analyst Ratings for BlackBerry (BBRY)
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...194734100.html
    If you believe analysts, any of them, that is living in fantasy land. You have just as good of a chance of getting the stock direction right by flipping a coin.

No matter what happens, I just hope that what I like about Blackberry stays in place and everything else keeps improving.
    01-14-15 06:14 PM
167 ... 23456 ...