01-21-15 07:48 PM
167 12345 ...
tools
    Optimist says Tizen is kept for watches and sub $100 India phones, BB10 for enterprise/higher end phones.

Pessimist says BB10 shot behind the chemical sheds.
    01-14-15 03:43 PM
    BB10 - Android runtime not allowed by OHA. Tizen can exist out of OHA but may have issues with patent licensing from hungry companies like MS which is reaping billions from Android. Samsung does not want to put huge resources into Tizen knowing that paying MS $5-10 per device like it does for Android. Samsung buys BBRY with its huge patent trove as protection and also integrated BES12 with Tizen, plus minor revenue producing units with large potential. QNX ,IoT.
    01-14-15 03:43 PM
    Sale of BB10 devices would void their OHA agreement due to presence of android runtime. BB10 would likely continue but the Runtime is would be 86 before the ink dries on the contract.

!
    They could strip it of the runtime and it'd still have way more native apps than Tizen. BB10 would essentially be a huge upgrade on Tizen if they're truly interested in a competing OS.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-14-15 03:46 PM
    BB10 - Android runtime not allowed by OHA. Tizen can exist out of OHA but may have issues with patent licensing from hungry companies like MS which is reaping billions from Android. Samsung does not want to put huge resources into Tizen knowing that paying MS $5-10 per device like it does for Android. Samsung buys BBRY with its huge patent trove as protection and also integrated BES12 with Tizen, plus minor revenue producing units with large potential. QNX ,IoT.
    Samsung is too big to really make use of all the BBRY units, I think they could be interested in just BES12 and patents. Probably they would kill BB10.

Not sure about QNX but probably the former owner of QNX might put together some deal and get it back. Just my speculation.
    01-14-15 03:48 PM
    On thing that is certain..

BlackBerry either has little time to say that this isn't happening publicly. If it is happening, they have little time to call a joint conference with Samsung to outline what the plans are for BB10, BlackBerry phones, BES10 and QNX. Any small uncertainty in BlackBerry and it's products/services will hurt any recovery of the company. Chen has little time before any gains in Enterprise will be gone.
    ubizmo and BlackistheBerry like this.
    Things changed significantly ever since.
    01-14-15 03:52 PM
    Samsung wants in in the Enterprise market, logical idea here is that they'll keep BlackBerry 10 for one and only one reason, SECURITY. They've failed with Knox, and don't forget they may want to go out of Android since with it, they're tied with google and have to pay top dollars to Microsoft as most Android Hardware vendors do.
    LuvULongTime and ragingklu like this.
    01-14-15 03:55 PM
    There is a few things that we know for sure:

-Knox was a failure so Samsung is probably interested in BES and make some inroad in enterprise.
    -Samsung is looking for additional growth since recent results were disappointing
    -Usually discussion with BlackBerry board members doesn't mean a breakup of the company.
    -BlackBerry brand is much more recognised than Tizen
    -Lots of growth potential in Internet of things... and Samsung do produce TV, Fridge, stoves...

So Samsung is interested in much more than the patents. There is a good fit there. The question is: would BlackBerry be managed as a separate entity or would they absorb BlackBerry?

My guess is that they would absorb BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 03:57 PM
    [DENIED BY BBRY] Samsung approached BlackBerry on takeover offer! Stock up over 20%. Enjoy!-img_20150114_165819.png

Is this a real Chen post?

Posted via CB10
    Pcmx likes this.
    01-14-15 03:59 PM
    There is a few things that we know for sure:

-Knox was a failure so Samsung is probably interested in BES and make some inroad in enterprise.
    -Samsung is looking for additional growth since recent results were disappointing
    -Usually discussion with BlackBerry board members doesn't mean a breakup of the company.
    -BlackBerry brand is much more recognised than Tizen
    -Lots of growth potential in Internet of things... and Samsung do produce TV, Fridge, stoves...

So Samsung is interested in much more than the patents. There is a good fit there. The question is: would BlackBerry be managed as a separate entity or would they absorb BlackBerry?

My guess is that they would absorb BlackBerry.
    I would hope that Samsung makes a significant investment into BBRY. Say a couple of billion$ and build a mutually successful and strong partnership.
    01-14-15 04:00 PM
    It looks pretty legit to me!
    01-14-15 04:02 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150114_165819.png 
Views:	865 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	327376

Posted via CB10
    I think that's Kevin.
    BroncoVAL, kbz1960 and 00stryder like this.
    01-14-15 04:02 PM
    Nelson Obus... please give back the money u have earned in a surprising way!!!!!
    01-14-15 04:03 PM
    The shorts will be scrambling to cover if there's anything going on between these two. A partnership would destroy the shorties. Let the good times roll.

Posted via CB10
    Dave79 likes this.
    01-14-15 04:07 PM
    Samsung knows how and has the factories to make very economic products.
    They always had physical keyboard in their catalogue (and some with very innovative tech as the e-ink keyboard on the "Alias" in 2010).
    They need to beef up their security and could focus Blackberry exclusively on business with great ressources.
    QNX would be definitely an interesting acquisition for them too as they have a lot of products related to IoT.
    I just hope if the deal occurs that they won't kill BB10, i love the OS and couldn't get used to any other at the moment.
    01-14-15 04:07 PM
    why? South Korea is G20 member, western/Nato ally.
    they will approve
    Learn your geopolitics.

Canada has repeatedly said they will only allow foreign takeovers if there is a net benefit to Canadians.

How would this benefit Canadians?

G20 really is third class in terms of important alliances and value of membership, from a Canadian perspective. G8 is more important. NATO is more important yet.

Chen has repeatedly stated he isn't interested in selling BlackBerry. Many analysts are saying the stock is undervalued, and have pegged it to hit $15-$20 in the mid term. A max of 15.49 per share is bugger all in terms of value to shareholders.

There will likely be some shareholder call to do the deal, but Prem and Co reinvested with the belief the stock will be worth much more down the road. It's unlikely the board will side with the "sell" crowd.

Lastly, Samsung is well known to be one of the most corrupt corporations in the world. South Korea allows it because of the billions it brings into the country. The US is close ally of South Korea merely to contain the North. The US have longer, stronger ties with Canada and would not be interested in letting their only provider with Authority to Operate leave the continent.

Posted via CB10
    masterscarhead1 likes this.
    01-14-15 04:08 PM
    Samsung just very recently asked BlackBerry for help is improving its phone security, which was reported on CB BlackBerry and Samsung partner to provide end-to-end security for Android | CrackBerry.com

Given the commonality of the OSs that allow the use of Android apps on BB phones, there is a lot of sense in this potential move. The Samsung/BlackBerry combination would create a powerhouse with a great OS combined with great hardware. This combination would be a real differentiation in the marketplace.
    01-14-15 04:08 PM
    Learn your geopolitics.

Canada has repeatedly said they will only allow foreign takeovers if there is a net benefit to Canadians.

How would this benefit Canadians?

G20 really is third class in terms of important alliances and value of membership, from a Canadian perspective. G8 is more important. NATO is more important yet.

Chen has repeatedly stated he isn't interested in selling BlackBerry. Many analysts are saying the stock is undervalued, and have pegged it to hit $15-$20 in the mid term. A max of 15.49 per share is bugger all in terms of value to shareholders.

There will likely be some shareholder call to do the deal, but Prem and Co reinvested with the belief the stock will be worth much more down the road. It's unlikely the board will side with the "sell" crowd.

Lastly, Samsung is well known to be one of the most corrupt corporations in the world. South Korea allows it because of the billions it brings into the country. The US is close ally of South Korea merely to contain the North. The US have longer, stronger ties with Canada and would not be interested in letting their only provider with Authority to Operate leave the continent.

Posted via CB10
    But do you understand the part that says that:"executive in both companies sat down last week" means that Chen is actively sitting down with Samsung to discuss the sell of BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:12 PM
    But do you understand the part that says that:"executive in both companies sat down last week" means that Chen is actively sitting down with Samsung to discuss the sell of BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    "Done" deals have been torpedoed by the Canadian government before. Pen has been put to paper, and the Industry minister said "not so fast".

As CEO, Chen has a responsibility to shareholders to listen to any credible offer and take it back to the board for consideration. The first step being listening to any offer. Not doing so is a good way to get ousted by activist investors.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:17 PM
    Enjoy!?, How can I enjoy this? when stupid, cheap and ugly Samsung is looking to buy my favourite mobile brand! You guys are all about "oooh my stock is up today, whooa" whatever...
    gvs1341 and Al1n like this.
    01-14-15 04:19 PM
    "Done" deals have been torpedoed by the Canadian government before. Pen has been put to paper, and the Industry minister said "not so fast".

As CEO, Chen has a responsibility to shareholders to listen to any credible offer and take it back to the board for consideration. The first step being listening to any offer. Not doing so is a good way to get ousted by activist investors.
    A strong partnership (instead of an aquisition) would suit everybody: BlackBerry, Samsung and governments.
    menshawy likes this.
    01-14-15 04:22 PM
    Enjoy!?, How can I enjoy this? when stupid, cheap and ugly Samsung is looking to buy my favourite mobile brand! You guys are all about "oooh my stock is up today, whooa" whatever...
    I hope for a partnership and I feel you but having invested 10K I also need to be happy if I make 50% profit.
    01-14-15 04:24 PM
    A strong partnership (instead of an aquisition) would suit everybody: BlackBerry, Samsung and governments.
    NET BENEFIT TO CANADIANS. Not governments, CANADIANS. CAN-EH-DEE-ANS.

Explain where that happens in your scenario.

Then go read this:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...china-bid.html

Now read it again, this time replacing "China" with "South Korea" and "Lenovo" with "Samsung".

Any questions?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:28 PM
    My bet: Samsung takes a minority of the company's shares, the 2 companies sign a cross licensed deal, the government ensures to keep BlackBerry at home.

As Reuters says: "Finance Minister Joe Oliver also declined to comment. He told reporters in Vancouver that any bid would be reviewed by Industry Minister James Moore and the federal cabinet.".

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:33 PM
167 12345 ...