07-29-14 03:55 PM
41 12
tools
    Well, I never paid too much attention to who makes the computers at my job. I BELIEVE they are Dell, but I'll say for sure tonight after my shift. At my job our PC's are literally on 24/7 and are constantly being used...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-26-14 11:33 AM
    Even though Dell is trying to become more of a Software and Services company they are still mostly a commodity lower mid range hardware company. The provide little other than building PCs and Servers with other companies parts and other companies software.
    07-26-14 11:56 AM
    I am an IT admin and categorically disagree with your assessment. For PCs I'd take Dell over HP for sure, and I think they're a better value than Lenovo.

They're not the sexiest hardware but as a desktop admin for several hundred users I found them reliable and easy to deploy and manage.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    I agree. I have two server which are dell's that run AD for almost 10 years now and the only thing that I had to replace was the HD. Dell rocks!!

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-26-14 12:20 PM
    Not sure about this possible partnership. US tech companies reputation has gone down recently in Europe and Asia (NSA back doors etc). I would rather BB find a non US partner.
    07-26-14 05:30 PM
    HP laptops.... will never buy one again...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Same here. Junk.

BB Proud
    07-26-14 06:12 PM
    I believe he did say something about the power supply connector on the motherboard. I was amazed at that, because it's very unlikely for that many to be bad. Probably just a bad batch. Also, by simultaneously, I didn't mean on the same day. Hence the "almost simultaneously". I meant over the months that went by, more and more of them piled up, until eventually there were none left.

Sure, I may have exaggerated in explaining what happened. But I did get my point across. With Dell computers, you get what you pay for. (And you don't pay much for them...)
    Every laptop maker has gone through bad products/design/defective components. Leaky caps probably first, then broken DC jack connection. They have all had class action suits.

For some ruggedized dell laptops, if the screen was closed and laptop still on, some glue or liquid would leak around screen due to heat. Rugged, my a$$.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 06:13 PM
    I'm at work now, and yes, they are all Dells. We are a 24/7 operation, these PC's never get a rest, and so far, only had one with a bad RAM module, but that's it...

07-26-14 07:37 PM
    Having worked with multiple computer vendors. I don't think Dell is that bad (I had a few of their laptops myself and at work). My old company has Compaq/HP servers. It is sort of like people comparing WD and SEAGATE hard drives. Some people like one or the other. Both are pretty good or else they wouldn't be where they are.
    07-26-14 10:58 PM
    Every laptop maker has gone through bad products/design/defective components. Leaky caps probably first, then broken DC jack connection. They have all had class action suits.

For some ruggedized dell laptops, if the screen was closed and laptop still on, some glue or liquid would leak around screen due to heat. Rugged, my a$$.

Posted via CB10
    When the entire class at school with laptops are failing almost all at the same time are also all HP... you start to wonder.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-27-14 12:19 AM
    When the entire class at school with laptops are failing almost all at the same time are also all HP... you start to wonder.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Better buy iPads?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 12:37 AM
    Having worked with multiple computer vendors. I don't think Dell is that bad (I had a few of their laptops myself and at work). My old company has Compaq/HP servers. It is sort of like people comparing WD and SEAGATE hard drives. Some people like one or the other. Both are pretty good or else they wouldn't be where they are.
    Not really. Seagate went downhill after they started being manufactured in China. It really was more fact than preference that Seagate drives were to be avoided. They have improved greatly since then though, think the Chinese manufacturing plants have finally got into the hang of things...

07-27-14 01:33 AM
    Are you guy referring to dell before or after they went private? I personally love their xps line

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    07-27-14 12:36 PM
    I am an IT admin and categorically disagree with your assessment. For PCs I'd take Dell over HP for sure, and I think they're a better value than Lenovo.

They're not the sexiest hardware but as a desktop admin for several hundred users I found them reliable and easy to deploy and manage.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    True at all my workplaces I have been to with 75+ employees each, they always have Dell

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    07-28-14 11:00 PM
    I have a Dell Dimension 5000 desktop which is about 9 years old and it's still going strong. Has a bit of a noisy fan on startup but other than that it's doing fine. I also have a Dell Latitude E7240 Ultrabook work laptop, but I have only had that a couple of months so can't comment on it's reliability.
    07-29-14 02:32 AM
    All of my Dell systems are going strong. Very few problems. I tried to extend my warranty on my laptop a few years ago, but Dell wanted too much. I'm glad I didn't end up spending the money because my laptop has been out of warranty for almost two years and I haven't had any problems during that time.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-29-14 10:54 AM
    In my MBA Mergers & Acquisitions class, my project was called "DIM", proposing the merger or the two.... I had some good rationale for it at the time too; I'd be happy to see this happen.!
    07-29-14 03:55 PM
41 12