09-29-13 10:37 AM
48 12
tools
    Perhaps you would tell us what is incorrect.

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    Pretty much everything you said.

8n short selling to DoD has.NOTHING to do with selling to a consumer.

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-27-13 09:58 AM
    Oh I see... thats why somebody is trying to bash BlackBerry in the public so it's not going to be famous within the public... cuz government wants to use it for security purposes. Thats cool. ...And maybe thats the reason why blackberry wants to go private and chopping off the company into pieces so they can have separate secure services for the government.

Its all "maybe" guys.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 10:29 AM
    Pretty much everything you said.

8n short selling to DoD has.NOTHING to do with selling to a consumer.

What do you mean????? I haven't said anything on this thread other than to ask you to clarify your point.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 10:37 AM
    Ouch - I was talking about the PRICE, you fool.

Jesus, why are clueless people always the loudest?

Funny, I've read your post many times, and no mention at all of PRICE. The post you quoted talked about 99,000 PHONES, not PRICE.

Additionally, your exact quote was: extra-extra-extra-redundancy the contract calls for... There is no extra redundancy in DoD phone contracts. In fact, there is no redundancy at all.

Are we supposed to all be mind readers of your posts? This is not the first time you've been incredibly rude to people when they haven't understood your implied reasoning in your posts which only comes to light AFTER you've been called on it.
    chr1sny likes this.
    09-27-13 10:57 AM
    Funny, I've read your post many times, and no mention at all of PRICE. The post you quoted talked about 99,000 PHONES, not PRICE.
    I said multiple by 5 - what does it mean to you?

Additionally, your exact quote was: extra-extra-extra-redundancy the contract calls for... There is no extra redundancy in DoD phone contracts. In fact, there is no redundancy at all.
    Ouch - anything DoD buys, as it's a highly regulated federal (military) agency, is ALWAYS backed by a ****load of contractual responsibilities, resulting/justifying multiple times higher unit prices.
    FYI if you'd know anything about defense/federal procurement etc this would be among the first things you'd learn.

Are we supposed to all be mind readers of your posts? This is not the first time you've been incredibly rude to people when they haven't understood your implied reasoning in your posts which only comes to light AFTER you've been called on it.
    These things are SOOO obvious to anyone with a clue I don't even know what to say to this kind of ignorant loudmouthing...

...anyone ever even just talked to someone dealing with federal agencies can tell you it's really a PITA to get on the supplier list but once you are approved you can charge crazy prices (provided you can do what your contract calls for eg you can indeed replace your product in the middle of nowhere on the planet at 2AM within 8 hours etc) - because everyone else does charge similar prices, because defense contracts very often do call for crazy support/maintenance/etc options etc. DoD knows this - this is the price of running such a professional, multiple-redundant force.
    09-27-13 02:40 PM
    Ignoring all the arguing here...

I think once BlackBerry can show stability. Be it through being purchased by Fairfax and Prem keeping them whole, or by obtaining a partner, or Thor finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, then we will see more corporations and government agencies buy in. I think the future unknown aspect is holding a lot back.

Also, once stability is shown, I think a lot of prosumers, which I consider to be a very very complimentary term for BlackBerry enthusiasts, will also be more willing to buy in. By them saying they are pulling back from consumer market they're simply saying they are not going to try and compete with Samsung and Apple, i.e. not producing so much inventory to try and match their sales. If they can profitably produce smaller batches of phones for those of us that want the phones, there is their niche market.

Think about it. If Apple was to suddenly crap out tomorrow, general populace said no more, there would still be a rock solid group of people that would still choose iPhone over all else. Should apple give up and get out of the market? Or should they focus on that group and try to be profitable selling to them? This is the direction I think BlackBerry is trying for.

Just my opinion.

I'm hoping this purchase is just a beginning of many more.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-27-13 03:18 PM
    Tens of thousands? Apple sold 9 million over a weekend. Tens of thousands isn't a big deal and seriously, if that's considered a "big bet" for BlackBerry, they're in worse shape than I thought, which would really be saying something because I already think they're in pretty bad shape.
    you also missed the fact that they will be making $120per year per device on top of that in BES revenues not to mention the sign up fees of the non BB devices on their network
    09-27-13 03:25 PM
    What should multiples of 5 mean to anyone? We aren't mind readers here. I know ur Mom knows to bring yoi cookies to the basement, but the grownups posting in this thread that actually work for the Federal government don't understand you.

Cellphones, by their very nature, must be handled differently than other government procurement.

Additionally, the DoD buys what they need. Not multiples of 5.

Finally, I won't post again in response to you. You are both rude and uninformed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-27-13 04:34 PM
    I said multiple by 5 - what does it mean to you?

Ouch - anything DoD buys, as it's a highly regulated federal (military) agency, is ALWAYS backed by a ****load of contractual responsibilities, resulting/justifying multiple times higher unit prices.
    FYI if you'd know anything about defense/federal procurement etc this would be among the first things you'd learn.

These things are SOOO obvious to anyone with a clue I don't even know what to say to this kind of ignorant loudmouthing...

...anyone ever even just talked to someone dealing with federal agencies can tell you it's really a PITA to get on the supplier list but once you are approved you can charge crazy prices (provided you can do what your contract calls for eg you can indeed replace your product in the middle of nowhere on the planet at 2AM within 8 hours etc) - because everyone else does charge similar prices, because defense contracts very often do call for crazy support/maintenance/etc options etc. DoD knows this - this is the price of running such a professional, multiple-redundant force.
    Ahem......

No.

I manage federal procurement. I out together an IGCE based on market research. If you overcharge me I don't buy from you. If you charge exorbitant prices you don't get on the GSA schedule. And while the federal government does buy in multiples there are regulations to the IDIQ contracts you seem to be alluding to.

This is different from hazard pay for hazardous work but that is in services not commodities or supplies and not the kind in a BES contract.

For reference, I was a Contracting Officer at DoD. I now manage IT related contracts.

I've got over 15 years experience in contracting and IT.

09-27-13 05:35 PM
    Ahem......

No.

I manage federal procurement. I out together an IGCE based on market research. If you overcharge me I don't buy from you. If you charge exorbitant prices you don't get on the GSA schedule. And while the federal government does buy in multiples there are regulations to the IDIQ contracts you seem to be alluding to.
    I didn't mean overcharging, I simply meant charging for all those extra (redundancy, support etc) requirements you call for in your RFP.

This is different from hazard pay for hazardous work but that is in services not commodities or supplies and not the kind in a BES contract.
    I'm don't know much about BES-related requirements but I'm pretty sure redundancy and readiness also incur costs which will be reflected in the quote.

For reference, I was a Contracting Officer at DoD. I now manage IT related contracts.

OK so you should know what I'm talking about - for the sake of simplicity let's take an example: tell me, how much you paid for, say, a server or a storage system, with regular 4-hr replacement policy, somewhere abroad, in some operating base? Tell me your number and I will try to counter it with a current market-based quote and we will see the difference (if you only have old numbers we will match it with a similar-tier current offering.)
    09-27-13 07:49 PM
    I didn't mean overcharging, I simply meant charging for all those extra (redundancy, support etc) requirements you call for in your RFP.

I'm don't know much about BES-related requirements but I'm pretty sure redundancy and readiness also incur costs which will be reflected in the quote.

OK so you should know what I'm talking about - for the sake of simplicity let's take an example: tell me, how much you paid for, say, a server or a storage system, with regular 4-hr replacement policy, somewhere abroad, in some operating base? Tell me your number and I will try to counter it with a current market-based quote and we will see the difference (if you only have old numbers we will match it with a similar-tier current offering.)
    There is absolutely no way that I am going to give specifics of any purchase.

If I'm setting up a server farm I'm going to have to go to an Eagle vendor, because that is our requirement out of Source One. If I can't find what I want I can go GSA.

If I'm setting up a server farm and I'm also procuring service for that farm I am going to specify this in the SOW. The SOW would also clearly spell our option years and O&M activities. But BEFORE I do this, I am going to publish an RFI to see what offerors may have. So, I've done my market research research by submitting the RFI and I've gone to required sources. The IGCE that I put together will then go to Contracting who will verify the IGCE and determine, based on the RFI, the time that the RFP will be on the street.

Even if I do an IDIQ contract I am still required to have parameters. So no....I have to justify the requirement. The only multiples I get are to allow for normal wear and tear of equipment. Example, our wireless fleet. I have an IDIQ that spells out location and an expectation of how many devices I will need based on past history. I am allowed a 7% increase over last year's totals both for quantity and for price. This 7% is also part of the GSA increase for contracts, year over year.

Performace is also part of the contract, and a 4 hour replacement call is not always feasible particularly in DoD due to access restrictions. Where there is an expectation of 4 hours that is accounted for, but contracts do not have a regular 4 hour replacement policy, some will have much shorter requirements. Example, a system that is public facing will not wait 4 hours to receive a response, at that point the expectation will be much less than that. Conversely, a replacement for a printer will generally have an 8 hour replacement window.

If you want to discuss hazardous areas then that is an entirely different animal that is wholly dependent on the hazard, and priced accordingly.
    app_Developer and h20work like this.
    09-27-13 08:32 PM
    BlackBerry will survive via Government and whatever contract they have. If they stay in this niche, they will survive.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 08:43 PM

Hehe. I was waiting for you to bust out the credentials. I remember. As soon as I read that post. Sorry szlevi. You got owned bud. Better drop it unless you guys can agree on something in an adult manner.

Either way people shouldn't be downplaying that deal anyway. It is going through and it is a great contract for BlackBerry to have. It shows that somebody up high is still very confident in their abilities. Unfortunately I never saw this and expect to never see this kind of news in the media. There may have a few articles here and there but it doesn't sell a newspaper quite like "BlackBerry dying, too little too late, lack of apps, oh no!"

-_- sigh...
    h20work and Vorkosigan like this.
    09-27-13 09:00 PM
    Hehe. I was waiting for you to bust out the credentials. I remember. As soon as I read that post. Sorry szlevi. You got owned but. Better drop it unless you guys can agree on something in an adult manner.

Either way people shouldn't be downplaying that deal anyway. It is going through and it is a great contract for BlackBerry to have. It shows that somebody up high is still very confident in their abilities. Unfortunately I never saw this and expect to never see this kind of news in the media. There may have a few articles here and there but it doesn't sell a newspaper quite like "BlackBerry dying, too little too late, lack of apps, oh no!"

-_- sigh...
    Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things.

Is this one thing going to save bbry, of course not. Was it nice to read something positive that wasn't fan based opinion, of course it was.

Q, I know you were using facts. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-27-13 09:07 PM
    Yes, but apple is a $4/500 , BlackBerry is a $9 company. So, ratio wise. Yeah tens of thousands to 9mil per weekend makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 09:11 PM
    There is absolutely no way that I am going to give specifics of any purchase.
    I meant something you make up, similar to real-world purchases, obviously.

If I'm setting up a server farm I'm going to have to go to an Eagle vendor, because that is our requirement out of Source One. If I can't find what I want I can go GSA.

If I'm setting up a server farm and I'm also procuring service for that farm I am going to specify this in the SOW. The SOW would also clearly spell our option years and O&M activities. But BEFORE I do this, I am going to publish an RFI to see what offerors may have. So, I've done my market research research by submitting the RFI and I've gone to required sources. The IGCE that I put together will then go to Contracting who will verify the IGCE and determine, based on the RFI, the time that the RFP will be on the street.
    Let's sum it up: you already restricted by your preferred/approved/etc vendor list(s), by your requirements and you do your price research within your walled supplier garden, right? Also the scope of work would already determine who can supply these things, wouldn't it?

Even if I do an IDIQ contract I am still required to have parameters.
    No need for any indefinite, any well-rounded project will show any time that your price is at least twice the market one but rather higher.

So no....I have to justify the requirement.
    Of course - I never said otherwise.

The only multiples I get are to allow for normal wear and tear of equipment.
    Again, STOP: our resident fool claimed it was about quantity - I was clearly talking about price when compared to regular customer, buying off-the-shelves/Newegg/Dell/VAR/whatever-is-your-cheapest-source.

Example, our wireless fleet. I have an IDIQ that spells out location and an expectation of how many devices I will need based on past history. I am allowed a 7% increase over last year's totals both for quantity and for price. This 7% is also part of the GSA increase for contracts, year over year.
    Actually that's very interesting, possibly my point, right there - it shows you are moving against market currents as prices always go down outside of your bubble-market.

Performace is also part of the contract, and a 4 hour replacement call is not always feasible particularly in DoD due to access restrictions. Where there is an expectation of 4 hours that is accounted for, but contracts do not have a regular 4 hour replacement policy, some will have much shorter requirements. Example, a system that is public facing will not wait 4 hours to receive a response, at that point the expectation will be much less than that.
    No offense but that sounds very off... if it's such a critical part it's obviously built on multiple-redundant architecture so standard 4-hr mission critical should do it just fine. Even simple production-level systems should have at least baseline fault tolerancy built-in eg storage with RAID6 w/ 2 hot spares (with extra HDDs stored to replace failed ones after automated resync is done.)

Conversely, a replacement for a printer will generally have an 8 hour replacement window.
    Obviously you should have extra device/other printers on site so it isn't really a concern; however if you want to ship and replace straight from say, a FOB then shipping fees are pretty exorbitant (though I expect it gets on a regular supply plane to get it shipped closer to civilization instead.)

If you want to discuss hazardous areas then that is an entirely different animal that is wholly dependent on the hazard, and priced accordingly.
    No need for that - I know that due to all the regulations your entire ecosystem is far more expensive than the open market, that was my point when I said I can easily see when DoD buys a bunch of phones the whole shebang w/ services etc the final amount spread out among devices will result in 4-5x higher per dive price...
    09-27-13 11:08 PM

Let's sum it up: you already restricted by your preferred/approved/etc vendor list(s), by your requirements and you do your price research within your walled supplier garden, right? Also the scope of work would already determine who can supply these things, wouldn't it?

No need for any indefinite, any well-rounded project will show any time that your price is at least twice the market one but rather higher.

Of course - I never said otherwise.

Again, STOP: our resident fool claimed it was about quantity - I was clearly talking about price when compared to regular customer, buying off-the-shelves/Newegg/Dell/VAR/whatever-is-your-cheapest-source.

Actually that's very interesting, possibly my point, right there - it shows you are moving against market currents as prices always go down outside of your bubble-market.

No offense but that sounds very off... if it's such a critical part it's obviously built on multiple-redundant architecture so standard 4-hr mission critical should do it just fine. Even simple production-level systems should have at least baseline fault tolerancy built-in eg storage with RAID6 w/ 2 hot spares (with extra HDDs stored to replace failed ones after automated resync is done.)

Obviously you should have extra device/other printers on site so it isn't really a concern; however if you want to ship and replace straight from say, a FOB then shipping fees are pretty exorbitant (though I expect it gets on a regular supply plane to get it shipped closer to civilization instead.)

No need for that - I know that due to all the regulations your entire ecosystem is far more expensive than the open market, that was my point when I said I can easily see when DoD buys a bunch of phones the whole shebang w/ services etc the final amount spread out among devices will result in 4-5x higher per dive price...
    Except you're detailing O&M and other associated services for managing the devices and their place in the infrastructure.

None of that relates to the cost of the physical device and wireless plan contract, so none of it has anything to do with the money BlackBerry will make on handset sales (via sell-through).
    09-28-13 01:00 AM
    I'm not sure what would be gained by me giving a hypothetical price that I'm willing to pay for an hypothetical commodity of service and have you give a hypothetical response in order to prove a hypothetical competitive bid.

I have required sources that I have to query first. If what I want is not available from these sources I can go open market. Even if a commodity or service is available in my required sources I can still go open market if I can prove that the move is advantageous. Example: I can go open market if I find a higher quality product that is more expensive but that will result in lower overall cost in the life of the contract. As a matter of fact, I can cite a specific instance in which I bought, back when I was in DoD, more expensive cable from a vendor who was not a required source. Through market analysis I was able to determine that their cable was higher quality and there was less loss due to splitting of the casing, resulting in less waste. That was during my first job in DoD. Funny thing is that they continued to use that vendor even after I left because there was indeed less loss and added savings year over year. Therefore I can step outside of the required sources. Now, in regards to the required sources, GSA schedule is almost universally lower than open market.

Wrong. Federal government almost universally gets a lower price for contracts and commodities. Example: the GSA contract for BlackBerry devices is lower than I get on the street. Same for iPhones. Same for Dell computers. Same for iPads. Same for HP printers. Same for Xerox copiers. Same for the Samsung refrigerator that is in the break room. Same for any server farm that I set up anywhere. Same for any service contract that I buy anywhere. EXCEPTING those instances in which a higher price can be justified, and then I have to write extensive justification documentation for that commodity or service.

As far as IDIQ contracts, they are used in instances where equipment in the field cannot be absolutely certain to last in its original purchase or where needs may change. Example: say a satellite facility opens up or a new activity opens up that had not initially been forecast. In that instance I may need to purchase added equipment. Rather than go through the process of setting out a new bid I can mod the contract to add initially unspecified equipment without going through the bidding process but remaining within the original cost as originally quoted.

I don't know of any resident fool. Everyone here is a member who deserves the same respect. Calling someone a fool can be grounds for an infraction. Heed the advice and stop the inflammatory language...it will serve you well.

As previously stated, the government gets reduced pricing for commodities and services. Where I need to step outside of the lower price I have to justify it as in the example I noted. The fallacy of the $500 toilet seat being the norm for the federal government is exactly that, a fallacy. Within any industry or segment of the consumer or enterprise there are outliers who will go against regulations. That does not mean such behaviour goes unpunished. I myself do not look good in orange. Most of the Contracting community would prefer not to wear an orange outfit. Therefore they do not subject themselves to an OIG investigation.

By the way, what the media does not specify in sensationalist headlines is that very often there is a need for a higher price item. Example: the Sectera Edge is a phone that runs at over $3K each. Taken outside of the context of the specific capabilities of the device, any ill informed or agenda driven reporter can write a sensationalist piece about fraud in the government, never bothering to discuss the need for such a device in specific situations. Similarly, a toilet seat in a Space Shuttle can cost much more than what you would find at Home Depot.

[QUOTE]No offense but that sounds very off... if it's such a critical part it's obviously built on multiple-redundant architecture so standard 4-hr mission critical should do it just fine. Even simple production-level systems should have at least baseline fault tolerancy built-in eg storage with RAID6 w/ 2 hot spares (with extra HDDs stored to replace failed ones after automated resync is done.)[.QUOTE]

Again, there is not "standard" response window. Different responses are needed for different systems in different situations.

Shipping fees can be negotiated into the price of the item. In cases where an item is needed in an emergency then priority shipping is used. For dire emergencies we can arrange for courier service. But the way to avoid that is to have a supply in hand and a service agreement for emergent needs.

Absolutely, outrageously, wildly incorrrect. As previously stated, GSA, One Source, FedFirst, Eagle pricing and open market prices will almost universally give a lower price to the federal government. As to the prices of the devices you are absolutely completely incorrect. I get a lower price for each device and for service for my fleet contract than what you get, to include free replacements. There is absolutely no validity to that statement at all. Aside for highly specialised items, the federal government gets a lower price almost universally for every procurement activity.
    09-28-13 06:40 AM
    Wow. Q do you use a cell phone carrier, Vzw, AT&T, or do you provide your own cellular network?

In the DoD, where I worked, we got the phones, all BB, free. It was the contract that the carrier wanted.

Again, not sure where you work, but spares for us was a bad word. It was all about JIT logistics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-28-13 09:54 AM
    We've got three....Sprint, VZW and AT&T.
    We're doing away with the Sprint contract.
    And it's really how we manage possible failure. We need to have a phone in hand if one fails.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:02 AM
    We've got three....Sprint, VZW and AT&T.
    We're doing away with the Sprint contract.
    And it's really how we manage possible failure. We need to have a phone in hand if one fails.

Posted via CB10
    There were a minimal number of individuals that got instant service. By that, I mean the really big shots. I've witnessed a VZW rep come in a 2 in the morning to bring in a phone.

There were things that were mission essential that we had great latitude on, such as server pieces for the TS networks, but not much else.

In my previous job, the DoD required any contract over $25K do go through the full contract process. You'd be amazed the number of computer buys I had from Dell that were $24,999. I know for us, I could get the Dell's cheaper than their website. The only time I ran into issues with people gouging prices was the "one of" vendors. The software company that designed and implemented our security monitoring software tried to raise prices 500%. I simply found another start-up company that would do the job for much less, then convinced the original to drop the price.

There are many folks, outside the Federal government, that still think things are done the old way. At least from the DoD side, they've built systems to allow the end user to save money. Where the government still gets shafted is the big ticket items, like planes and tanks.
    09-29-13 10:31 AM
    Tens of thousands? Apple sold 9 million over a weekend. Tens of thousands isn't a big deal and seriously, if that's considered a "big bet" for BlackBerry, they're in worse shape than I thought, which would really be saying something because I already think they're in pretty bad shape.
    Not a small order from one single account though.

Posted via CB10
    There were a minimal number of individuals that got instant service. By that, I mean the really big shots. I've witnessed a VZW rep come in a 2 in the morning to bring in a phone.

There were things that were mission essential that we had great latitude on, such as server pieces for the TS networks, but not much else.

In my previous job, the DoD required any contract over $25K do go through the full contract process. You'd be amazed the number of computer buys I had from Dell that were $24,999. I know for us, I could get the Dell's cheaper than their website. The only time I ran into issues with people gouging prices was the "one of" vendors. The software company that designed and implemented our security monitoring software tried to raise prices 500%. I simply found another start-up company that would do the job for much less, then convinced the original to drop the price.

There are many folks, outside the Federal government, that still think things are done the old way. At least from the DoD side, they've built systems to allow the end user to save money. Where the government still gets shafted is the big ticket items, like planes and tanks.
    Yup the 25K magic number for small acquisitions. We used to get the Sep 30 11:45 pm requisitions for computer equipment when I was DoD. I spent three consecutive years' Sep 30 nights in my sweats and big floppy socks running around the halls between Accounting and Finance and Contracting. Last minute buys so as to not lose the $$$. Everybody held computer equipment until the last minute.

In my current office we freeze procurement requirements on Aug 30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
48 12