09-29-13 09:37 AM
48 12
tools
    "The Pentagon is outfitting military networks with software to support tens of thousands of BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 smartphones this year, according to the Defense Department and Blackberry officials who, in recent days, have announced the company will sharply scale back commercial sales"

Despite BlackBerry's new business direction, "to date, DoD has seen no impact to its Blackberry's services," Defense spokesman Lt. Col. Damien Pickart said in an email on Tuesday."

Blackberry Bets Big on the Defense Department - Defense One
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-25-13 04:18 PM
    "The Pentagon is outfitting military networks with software to support tens of thousands of BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 smartphones this year, according to the Defense Department and Blackberry officials who, in recent days, have announced the company will sharply scale back commercial sales"

Despite BlackBerry's new business direction, "to date, DoD has seen no impact to its Blackberry's services," Defense spokesman Lt. Col. Damien Pickart said in an email on Tuesday."

Blackberry Bets Big on the Defense Department - Defense One
    Mr Money is getting a steal with his purchase of BB at $9.00.The rush to sell by November is because BB should turn the corner into profitability by then and be too expensive to buy.
    k8bushlover and Bigbacala like this.
    09-25-13 04:33 PM
    Wait for it........

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-25-13 04:36 PM
    Best Damn news we've had in months
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    09-25-13 04:55 PM
    Best Damn news we've had in months
    Mmmm please don't tell me you're being sarcastic -_-

09-25-13 05:00 PM
    Mmmm please don't tell me you're being sarcastic -_-

Not sarcastic at all.
    09-25-13 05:03 PM
    Not sarcastic at all.
    GOOD

09-25-13 05:06 PM
    GOOD

Side note, you really shouldn't be looking for trouble where it doesn't exist. You will be much happier that way.
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-25-13 05:19 PM
    Side note, you really shouldn't be looking for trouble where it doesn't exist. You will be much happier that way.
    Trouble seems to find me

09-25-13 06:32 PM
    Tens of thousands? Apple sold 9 million over a weekend. Tens of thousands isn't a big deal and seriously, if that's considered a "big bet" for BlackBerry, they're in worse shape than I thought, which would really be saying something because I already think they're in pretty bad shape.
    09-25-13 08:15 PM
    Tens of thousands? Apple sold 9 million over a weekend. Tens of thousands isn't a big deal and seriously, if that's considered a "big bet" for BlackBerry, they're in worse shape than I thought, which would really be saying something because I already think they're in pretty bad shape.
    Well it's for a government institution, so I would consider that to be different. Don't compare that to a consumer sale.

09-25-13 08:20 PM
    Tens of thousands of phones.

Let's be generous and say that's 99,000 phones. And let's say the ARPU is $500.

That's at most $50 million in revenue? Spread out over how many quarters for a typical govt purchase program?
    09-25-13 08:21 PM
    Apple had a lot of idiots come out and buy the 5c which is last year's i5

Posted via CB10
    crackfinder likes this.
    09-25-13 08:22 PM

That's at most $50 million in revenue? Spread out over how many quarters for a typical govt purchase program?
    Beats a good kick in the nuts.
    Geeoff and dusdal like this.
    09-25-13 08:27 PM
    Actually, this is fairly old news. The number of potential BB devices is 30,000 in the first batch. It could go higher.
    09-25-13 08:31 PM
    Well it's for a government institution, so I would consider that to be different. Don't compare that to a consumer sale.

Why? A seller doesn't care who they sell to. What's it matter whether the final buyer is a regular "consumer" or a government "consumer." When all is said and done, a sale is a sale is a sale is a sale. That's where BlackBerry got it all wrong starting a few years back. They thought only "prosumer" sales were important and companies like Apple and Samsung just went after everybody. Who were the winners and loser when the smoke cleared? I guess you could say something about BES licenses, but they're only $20 each now, not a big deal.
    09-25-13 08:35 PM
    What, they should get iPhones? The NSA crew loves it when the hacking target is an iPhone because it's the easiest to hack with MITM attack.
    09-25-13 08:36 PM
    Add BES licening and support contracts and then watch the other world players to begin rolling out.

But a drop in the bucket compared to consumer purchases.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 08:40 PM
    Why? A seller doesn't care who they sell to. What's it matter whether the final buyer is a regular "consumer" or a government "consumer." When all is said and done, a sale is a sale is a sale is a sale. That's where BlackBerry got it all wrong starting a few years back. They thought only "prosumer" sales were important and companies like Apple and Samsung just went after everybody. Who were the winners and loser when the smoke cleared? I guess you could say something about BES licenses, but they're only $20 each now, not a big deal.
    Well I was just saying because you compared 9 million iphones, which were sold to the general population, while this article has to do with government agencies. No point in bringing that number in, atleast the government still trusts BlackBerry's security infrastructure, THATS saying something. Well 20$ just makes it that much easier to adopt BES, right now they're trying to cover as much ground as they can, though some could argue it's too late. It will take time to really assess whether BlackBerry will die or survive.

09-25-13 08:43 PM

You clearly have no clue how defense procurement works, I can tell.
    Multiply that by 5 and you're probably still missing some extra-extra-extra-redundancy the contract calls for...
    09-25-13 11:16 PM
    Seriously, dear utterly clueless people: ask first instead of declaring stupid things as facts.
    09-25-13 11:17 PM
    You clearly have no clue how defense procurement works, I can tell.
    Multiply that by 5 and you're probably still missing some extra-extra-extra-redundancy the contract calls for...
    The total, per contract in the initial release is 30,000. Period. I carried a DoD BB for years. If it died, the carrier replaced it. See, the phone still needs a carrier to work, since DoD doesn't have their own cell towers. And I can tell you exactly what the installation paid for the phones. $0. The carriers wanted the contract.

So, it's you who really has no idea how defense procurement works. Oh, and most are having their budgets for FY14 dramatically hammered. Some by 50%.
    chr1sny likes this.
    09-26-13 07:39 AM
    Seriously, dear utterly clueless people: ask first instead of declaring stupid things as facts.
    And you do not indicate what you think is incorrect.

Snotty at best.

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    09-26-13 07:53 AM
    Perhaps you would tell us what is incorrect.

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    09-27-13 04:50 AM
    The total, per contract in the initial release is 30,000. Period. I carried a DoD BB for years. If it died, the carrier replaced it. See, the phone still needs a carrier to work, since DoD doesn't have their own cell towers. And I can tell you exactly what the installation paid for the phones. $0. The carriers wanted the contract.

So, it's you who really has no idea how defense procurement works. Oh, and most are having their budgets for FY14 dramatically hammered. Some by 50%.
    Ouch - I was talking about the PRICE, you fool.

Jesus, why are clueless people always the loudest?

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-27-13 08:57 AM
48 12