11-25-13 01:54 PM
55 123
tools
    Not dead at all. I rock my bold 9900, will be rocking a Q10 in 13 months. I cannot stand a touch screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-13 10:25 AM
    Another attack on BlackBerry from The Scourge. The only relevant QWERTY device on the Market are the BlackBerry phones. So why write this article either than to blatantly attack BlackBerry.

Posted via a ZeDex
    Most of the article actually talks about the author's desire for a new Droid with a physical landscape keyboard. BlackBerry is mentioned only in passing at the end.
    richardat and techvisor like this.
    11-18-13 06:58 PM
    but they're gaining their old customers back, therefore their growing in some ways
    You're kidding right?
    11-18-13 07:02 PM
    I'm certainly more productive on a physical keyboard BlackBerry than any touchscreen phone. The latter are just gimmicks that have been forced onto consumers.
    Forced onto customers? If that was the case, wouldn't the customers flock in droves as soon as they saw a phone with a QWERTY like the Q10? Alas that didn't happen.... meaning customers are actually making an active choice when picking a touchscreen phone.

Whether you're more productive with a QWERTY, that's just about you, it doesn't mean the same for everybody. Speed texting records are all held by touchscreen phones, meaning a person who has properly learned to use one is actually faster than a QWERTY user, which is certainly credible since you don't actually have to "press" anything. Most people new to smartphones are now learning on touchscreens, which means they'll be significantly better with them instead of QWERTY. QWERTY on smartphones is a product of a bygone era, and really, it's going to be a tiny portion of the market going forward.
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    11-18-13 07:16 PM
    Not dead at all. I rock my bold 9900, will be rocking a Q10 in 13 months. I cannot stand a touch screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    You can still buy a DVD player. It doesn't mean it has a bright future going forward.
    11-18-13 07:17 PM
    Most of the article actually talks about the author's desire for a new Droid with a physical landscape keyboard. BlackBerry is mentioned only in passing at the end.
    The following is a quote from the atricle only a paragraph in.

"Isn't it strange how all the high-end smartphones with keyboards have up and disappeared". - The Scourge

So I guess the Q10 is a considered an entry level phone for people living on food stamps. Give me a break. These hacks are schills for their U.S. OS donators Apple, Google and Microsoft.

Posted via a ZeDex
    11-18-13 10:51 PM

"Isn't it strange how all the high-end smartphones with keyboards have up and disappeared". - The Scourge

So I guess the Q10 is a considered an entry level phone for people living on food stamps. Give me a break. These hacks are schills for their U.S. OS donators Apple, Google and Microsoft.

Posted via a ZeDex
    You're either misunderstanding the article, or you're purposefully trying to be a argumentive. Take your pick. The preceding paragraph clearly starts off by saying he's talking about Android phones, the Droid line in particular. The first sentence of the entire article is "I bought a Droid 4 twenty-one months ago." He specifically talks about wanting a Droid 5 (not yet announced) in the sentence preceding the one you quoted. In case you're not familiar, the Droid line is Motorola's line with the landscape keyboards.

As the article continues from your quote, the author talks about how Sprint was so strongly vested in Android keyboard phones, and how they even ordered custom Android handsets with keyboards, which did extremely poorly even though surveys said customers preferred them.
    techvisor, JeepBB and Moonbase0ne like this.
    11-19-13 04:55 AM

Posted via a ZeDex
    You're quoting out of context and reading too much into it. The article is actually very benign concerning Blackberry. You're seeing the devil where he doesn't exist.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    11-19-13 07:30 AM
    Qwerty isn't dead. But it is certainly not as healthy as I would like. I've got a Q10, and I love having a keyboard. But I'm also, in a very small Minority. There just isn't much appeal to people typing on a keyboard anymore. And that's ok, Get the phone you want, not what anyone else wants.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-19-13 01:25 PM
    Qwerty is Not dead as long as I got my Q10.
    11-19-13 02:35 PM
    Forced onto customers? If that was the case, wouldn't the customers flock in droves as soon as they saw a phone with a QWERTY like the Q10? Alas that didn't happen.... meaning customers are actually making an active choice when picking a touchscreen phone.

Whether you're more productive with a QWERTY, that's just about you, it doesn't mean the same for everybody. Speed texting records are all held by touchscreen phones, meaning a person who has properly learned to use one is actually faster than a QWERTY user, which is certainly credible since you don't actually have to "press" anything. Most people new to smartphones are now learning on touchscreens, which means they'll be significantly better with them instead of QWERTY. QWERTY on smartphones is a product of a bygone era, and really, it's going to be a tiny portion of the market going forward.
    The qwerty keyboard wasn't enough with the Q10, sure it had the keyboard but it was missing the all important trackpad, shortcuts, and the push email users were used to. On top of that it was and still is buggy.

Here's a good blog about the Q10 problems:

http://blackberryq10.tumblr.com/post...uriatingly-bad

"This phone is infuriatingly bad
    I am not sure how the 10.2.0.424 released passed QA testing. Talking to a couple of other Blackberry users, it?s clear this thing is a mess. Let me run down a few of the issues. These are category-1 fails IMHO.
    1. The phone stack stops working. This means texts don?t come in. Phone calls don?t come in. There is actually no way to know if things are broken until you get angry messages over email from friends and colleagues asking you why you aren?t picking up your phone. What the hell, Blackberry.
    2. Network reception just drops. Granted this may be the EE/T-Mobile network in the UK. But I constantly get pop-ups saying missed call when the phone hasn?t rang. What the hell, Blackberry.
    3. My calendar jams up. That means when I load it up, I get a spinning wheel. I?ve complained loudly and vocally about this before. Have the monkeys who write code at Blackberry never read up on how to cache? It?s simply unacceptable that the calendar isn?t cached on the device and lasts through boots. You should only need to connect to the network to refresh it. Not to generate it. What the hell, Blackberry.

4. I get random freezes. Click on the browser. Get stuck on this screen. Other apps do this too. What the hell, Blackberry.

5. Sent messages still appear in my inbox, even though the flag to not display them is set. What the hell, Blackberry.
    6. My Exchange email just doesn?t work. What the hell, Blackberry.

t am now weaning myself off this phone and onto a Nexus 5. This has been a *terrible* experience, Blackberry. I was one of the few folks in the venture community rooting for you. You have done a miserable job with this phone. Absolutely miserable."

I can confirm the exact same issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 02:53 AM
    Qwerty isn't dead. But it is certainly not as healthy as I would like. I've got a Q10, and I love having a keyboard. But I'm also, in a very small Minority. There just isn't much appeal to people typing on a keyboard anymore. And that's ok, Get the phone you want, not what anyone else wants.

Posted via CB10
    Why does everybody think if demand for a qwerty phone is in a minority it should be killed off? For a start even when BlackBerry were at the top of the smartphone marketshare in reality they were a small minority in the mobile phone marketshare shipping 1-2 million devices a quarter.

As long as the devices are profitable and there's a demand for them why not?

Just because s small minority of the raod users drive Smart Cars does that mean they should be killed off?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 03:28 AM
    Why does everybody think if demand for a qwerty phone is in a minority it should be killed off? For a start even when BlackBerry were at the top of the smartphone marketshare in reality they were a small minority in the mobile phone marketshare shipping 1-2 million devices a quarter.

Just because s small minority of the raod users drive Smart Cars does that mean they should be killed off?

Posted via CB10
    But they aren't - is that the problem? The only company who makes QWERTY devices in significant numbers can't turn a buck.
    11-20-13 06:00 AM
    Moto didn't find much success with the Droid Pro or Admiral (I thought the Pro was a reasonably good smart phone), so the market may have spoken there. Apart from BlackBerry it seems physical keyboards have been relegated to feature phones - a shrinking category in itself with the advent of low priced Android and Windows 8 options.

It is apparent there is a niche demand for the combination of a physical keyboard and smart phone feature set. The question raised was whether it can be done economically.
    11-20-13 07:19 AM
    If qwerty was dead then logic dictates that the z series would be successful because they don't have keyboards.

This is bad science, plain and simple: drawing wrong conclusions from insufficient data.

A qwerty slider superphone would be a smash hit. Whoever builds it first wins.

Disagree all you like. I'll be vindicated like Samsung was when they put the Note series devices out to great "no one wants a phone that big" skepticism and even greater success.

The significant detail is that people want full touchscreens... they don't NOT want physical keyboards... and a portrait slider superphone (large high res screen and top tier specs all around) WILL sell like hotcakes: it could be BlackBerry's salvation, it would further entrench Samsung as the world leader, and if apple did it, it would sell because it's apple, but since it's less common that full slab, it wouldn't do as well, but they'd still sell millions... they might even start winning back market share from android.
    11-20-13 07:40 AM
    But they aren't - is that the problem? The only company who makes QWERTY devices in significant numbers can't turn a buck.
    How do you know they aren't? Don't forget they had to write off the Z10 not the Q models, what does that tell you?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 08:03 AM
    How do you know they aren't? Don't forget they had to write off the Z10 not the Q models, what does that tell you?

Posted via CB10
    That would depend on how many of each model were manufactured. It's quite possible that after abysmal Z10 sales, they wised up a bit and didn't go crazy with Q10 production.

Even so, Q10 sales haven't proven to be profitable either.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    11-20-13 08:51 AM
    "If qwerty was dead then logic dictates that the z series would be successful because they don't have keyboards."

Logic dictates? That statement is a non-sequitur. Z series is floundering for altogether different reasons.

"A qwerty slider superphone would be a smash hit. Whoever builds it first wins."

Speculation. What is the evidence for this assertion?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-20-13 10:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they should be killed. Quite the opposite actually. I love my Q10. And I love having a physical Keyboard. I'm also, just one Man. Of the people I know, there are more with phones that are all touch screen. I'm saying that anything the anyone wants is fine, and there should be an avenue for people to pursue that. But I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'm apart of a very small faction of cell phone users
    . I'm ok with that. I would never impede anyone from their choices, and wouldn't want anyone to impede mine.

We're all on the same team here My Friend. I hope this shows I meant no offense, if there was any perceived.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 10:10 AM
    Can't speed dial on a glass QWERTY.

When I want to call my wife, I hold down the physical "S" key, and her number is dialed. When I want to call my dad, I hold down the physical "D" key, no muss, no fuss - hardly even have to look at the device.

Until I can do something similar on a slab phone, you can keep them.
    11-21-13 12:22 PM
    One of my favourite things is that a physical qwerty allows me to stay with the fingers on the keyboard while thinking about what to write without being cautious not to enter words randomly.
    That may sound dumb i know but with full touch keyboard i always feel the urge to beware of my interactions with the phone, physical keyboard is totally different and more easygoing.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 02:27 PM
    "If qwerty was dead then logic dictates that the z series would be successful because they don't have keyboards."

Logic dictates? That statement is a non-sequitur. Z series is floundering for altogether different reasons.
    Exactly. Don't take one sentence out of context and you'll understand that "oversimplification leads to erroneous conclusions" is exactly my point.

"A qwerty slider superphone would be a smash hit. Whoever builds it first wins."

Speculation. What is the evidence for this assertion?
    Just like BB10, to know it is to love it, but without the device in hand most people would not understand, like those that call an iPad a "big iphone". I'm not most people, but sadly, most people are.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 08:02 PM
    I for one was a AZERTY (not a typo, just French kb) unconditional.
    I've tried many touchscreens and none was able to change that.
    Then I had the Z10, thinking "well, it's almost as efficient".
    Then I had the Z30 : "definitely my best keyboard, EVER".

I must say that when I reverse to my Q10 ... I'm almost lost in the keys and using [ALT] or [123] sounds to me like an antique thing V.S swiping up/down from letters to symbols and numbers. I just can't anymore.

Touch or physical, it's like tastes and colors.
    What I do believe is that both options should remain (physical is a strong DNA signature for BB), and both are best in class on BB devices.
    11-24-13 04:31 AM
    Touch or physical, it's like tastes and colors. What I do believe is that both options should remain (physical is a strong DNA signature for BB), and both are best in class on BB devices.
    Which is why a bb10 slider is still the holy grail for me... the best of both, especially when a physical keyboard is coupled with Improved predictive correction. Slap a trackpad on it and you'll have something you can actually, practically edit long-form documents on.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:27 PM
    Which is why a bb10 slider is still the holy grail for me... the best of both, especially when a physical keyboard is coupled with Improved predictive correction. Slap a trackpad on it and you'll have something you can actually, practically edit long-form documents on.

Posted via CB10
    I'm mitigated with the slider idea for my personal use. I'm not a "make-a-combo-with-everyting-you-can" guy.
    But I can see many here that would love it ... so if there's a market for that : go for it BlackBerry
    11-25-13 02:54 AM
55 123