08-25-15 12:01 PM
60 123
tools
    If all the Android hardware makers just closed shop because they can't make any money on the falling hardware revenue, what does Google have then?
    There IS going to be some serious consolidation in the market, but that's normal.

15 years ago, when flat-screen TVs were first starting to get big, there were nearly a hundred brands, companies were started up all over Asia to produce those TVs. Every company that had ever been a subcontractor for the big boys, and dozens of "nobodies" came into existence and made TVs. Every big retailer had their own house brand (Insignia, Dynex, iLo, etc.). Where are all those companies now? We're back down to a half-dozen TV manufacturers, because once the major growth curve flattened out, most companies lacked the infrastructure, supply, and marketing muscle to compete with the big boys.

That is exactly what will happen in the cell phone market. Dozens of companies will fail, dozens more will be bought up, and we'll be back to perhaps a dozen or 20 manufacturers worldwide. Apple and Microsoft will be two of them, and most of the rest will be Android manufacturers. But Android will be the last man standing, simply because there will always be a company willing to make them because they'll always have a profit potential - just as Samsung, Sony, and LG are still standing in the TV world after many well-known brands, and dozens of no-names, have fallen away.
    08-18-15 11:57 AM
    Ok maybe my point is missed...and it has nothing to do with BlackBerry specifically. But why does Google as a data mining company want to limit it verticals to only its platform? Much to that point why would any company. Universal apps would be great, but unlikely in the sandbox approaches we currently have. With the the consolidation of the Android market (say in the future), why would you as Google want a handful of handset makers have potential sway over you? VMs, runtimes, all that jazz offers vectors into other OS's not your own, other than technical hurdles (I am no developer) I can't see why not expand your data mining operation into every device you can.
    08-18-15 03:45 PM
    Ok maybe my point is missed...and it has nothing to do with BlackBerry specifically. But why does Google as a data mining company want to limit it verticals to only its platform?
    Actually, you're missing the point: without Google's apps, those competing OS/platforms won't get any traction, and users will mostly end up on Android anyway. That's the part Google knows fully well, but you aren't seeing: if those other platforms fail, Google will, by default, scoop up about 80% of those users (based on Android's marketshare worldwide).

But if Google allows further fragmentation, then it's all that much harder to assure that their apps will run on all devices, and that future code changes will work, etc. Google is actually is moving the other way - they are tightening down their ecosystem and as a result, users have more confidence that their devices will be properly supported, and Android continues to grow.

That's bad if you're a competitor who wants to use Google's ecosystem to compete against Google, but good for buyers of actual Android devices - and believe me, those 1.7 billion active Android users are far more important to Google than a few million users on competing platforms.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    08-18-15 05:29 PM
    Ok maybe my point is missed...and it has nothing to do with BlackBerry specifically. But why does Google as a data mining company want to limit it verticals to only its platform? Much to that point why would any company. Universal apps would be great, but unlikely in the sandbox approaches we currently have. With the the consolidation of the Android market (say in the future), why would you as Google want a handful of handset makers have potential sway over you? VMs, runtimes, all that jazz offers vectors into other OS's not your own, other than technical hurdles (I am no developer) I can't see why not expand your data mining operation into every device you can.
    Because Google would then lose us developers and designers. Fragmentation is already a bad enough issue, and that's just thinking of the actual certified Android phones! If Google makes the fragmentation worse, then we go back to focusing our best efforts on iOS.

And as Troy just said, if BB10 dies then those users aren't going back to cans and string. Most will be Android users. Maybe BlackBerry Android users, which would be better than losing those users to Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-18-15 06:10 PM
    Because Google would then lose us developers and designers.

... which is the most important factor with regards to platform success, BTW.
    08-18-15 08:43 PM
    BB10 is QNX and QNX development is onging because of the 100 million cars it is projected to be powering the infotainment systems in in the next few years. The BlackBerry 10 app gap is an issue, so the only reason to do a bootcamp a la apple on a BlackBerry device with android is to get android customers to move over to BlackBerry hardware. Once you have 10% marketshare or better, app developers will take notice and port apps to BlackBerry app world so users can boot bb10 and relieve themselves of android trash once and for all.

Typed from my AT&T passport
    08-18-15 10:41 PM
    Actually, you're missing the point: without Google's apps, those competing OS/platforms won't get any traction, and users will mostly end up on Android anyway. That's the part Google knows fully well, but you aren't seeing: if those other platforms fail, Google will, by default, scoop up about 80% of those users (based on Android's marketshare worldwide).

But if Google allows further fragmentation, then it's all that much harder to assure that their apps will run on all devices, and that future code changes will work, etc. Google is actually is moving the other way - they are tightening down their ecosystem and as a result, users have more confidence that their devices will be properly supported, and Android continues to grow.

That's bad if you're a competitor who wants to use Google's ecosystem to compete against Google, but good for buyers of actual Android devices - and believe me, those 1.7 billion active Android users are far more important to Google than a few million users on competing platforms.
    Unfortunately I am not missing the point. They are moving to more of a closed environment. I get it. Just seems to me to be going backwards with tech.
    08-19-15 07:49 AM
    Unfortunately I am not missing the point. They are moving to more of a closed environment. I get it. Just seems to me to be going backwards with tech.
    It's true that they're tightening down the rules, but that's for good reason. Remember all that whining about "fragmentation"? About older phones not getting updates and (if you were a developer) some apps not working well on some phones? By tightening the rules, they help developers greatly by making it more likely that their apps will work on the most phones with the least amount of work for the developer - and this makes developers happy and thus more likely to build and support apps on the Android platform.

Google is perfectly happy to step on the toes of competitors who are trying to use Google's ecosystem to compete against Google, and why wouldn't they be? Someone with a half-baked runtime isn't helping Google, and not even really helping themselves, and if/when they fail, Android will inherit a large percentage of their users anyway.
    08-24-15 10:45 AM
    It would be interesting if Crackberry was to do a poll asking if you will stay with blackberry if they do switch to android. I don't think they would though, they're a fan Base website/forum and won't speak of anything negative regarding BB.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ιт > 
    Define "Android".

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 11:58 AM
    Google is perfectly happy to step on the toes of competitors who are trying to use Google's ecosystem to compete against Google, and why wouldn't they be? Someone with a half-baked runtime isn't helping Google, and not even really helping themselves, and if/when they fail, Android will inherit a large percentage of their users anyway.
    +1
    Google's business IS their ecosystem. Android is just the salesman of the decade.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 12:01 PM
60 123