03-10-14 03:45 PM
80 ... 234
tools
    I'm sure Chen knows many things we don't. He is after all CEO of BlackBerry.

It doesn't alter the fact that BB stopped publicising subscriber numbers a while back following a sustained fall in the userbase numbers over several quarters. Common-sense would surely indicate that those numbers have continued to fall given the backdrop of the failure of BB10 to engage with consumers, firing thousands of employees, and a series of events that culminated in BB putting themselves up for sale, and then pulling the sale and accepting a $1.25Bn debenture loan from Prem.

Had those numbers stabilised, or even started to rise, only a fool wouldn't have capitalised on shouting that good news from the rooftops. John Chen doesn't seem to be a fool, so the conclusion that those subscriber numbers are continuing their downward trend is obvious, at least to me. Your mileage may differ.

I mostly agree with those things, with the exception that even if the subscriber numbers were not significantly dropping, publicizing what amounts to a pretty lousy marketshare compared to the larger market is probably not in their best interests either. "Oh yay, look everyone, we maintained our 0.4% marketshare!"

Um, yeah.
    03-10-14 02:00 PM
    I mostly agree with those things, with the exception that even if the subscriber numbers were not significantly dropping, publicizing what amounts to a pretty lousy marketshare compared to the larger market is probably not in their best interests either. "Oh yay, look everyone, we maintained our 0.4% marketshare!"

Um, yeah.
    It rather depends on how it was spun.

Whilst I continue to believe that BB's userbase is shrinking ever faster, if the fall had slowed enough to claim that the tide was turning, I'm sure a credible argument could be made that a zero-point had been reached and the BB fightback for customers was just starting to show results. Cue lots of Z3 stories, Q20 promos, BES successes, etc

After the horrible year BB have had, any evidence that userbase losses had bottomed-out, could have been presented in a positive way. Yes, 0.4% marketshare is pitiful. And , if I were BB, I'd skate over that number. But if BB could say that we still have a userbase of x million, and that the decline had stopped... that might have made a few pundits pause and maybe sow some "wait and see" seeds.

All hypothetical of course because, as I say, I believe BB userbase is continuing to drop like a stone.
    03-10-14 02:17 PM
    Whilst I continue to believe that BB's userbase is shrinking ever faster, if the fall had slowed enough to claim that the tide was turning, I'm sure a credible argument could be made that a zero-point had been reached and the BB fightback for customers was just starting to show results. Cue lots of Z3 stories, Q20 promos, BES successes, etc

After the horrible year BB have had, any evidence that userbase losses had bottomed-out, could have been presented in a positive way. Yes, 0.4% marketshare is pitiful. And , if I were BB, I'd skate over that number. But if BB could say that we still have a userbase of x million, and that the decline had stopped... that might have made a few pundits pause and maybe sow some "wait and see" seeds.

Whereas I have a feeling they will demur on any such announcements until there is some evidence of Z3 traction.

And if that doesn't materialize, expect lots more silence.
    03-10-14 02:30 PM
    comscore timeframe is for nov 2013 - Jan 2014, while t-mobile trade campaign start on february...if you want to see T-mobile promotion impact to Blackberry user base, you have to wait for the next report
    C'mon...

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 03:03 PM
    Whereas I have a feeling they will demur on any such announcements until there is some evidence of Z3 traction.

And if that doesn't materialize, expect lots more silence.
    I suspect we are more in agreement than not... especially over silence not being a good sign.
    03-10-14 03:45 PM
80 ... 234