12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Tools not toys will go down in history as the stubborn mantra that killed BlackBerry.
    But they didn't even stick to it. It seemed to me that they were saying "tools not toys" out of one side of their mouth and then trumpeting the arrival of various Cocos or Unity games out of the other.
    RyanGermann and Fuzzballz like this.
    09-25-13 09:03 PM
    In the end what killed Blackberry was Blackberry, they are the only one to blame
    *sigh*.

No, repeat after me: BBRY did everything RIGHT. It's the fault of the media, Steve Jobs, developers, NSA and the Indian Government.
    09-25-13 09:05 PM
    But they didn't even stick to it. It seemed to me that they were saying "tools not toys" out of one side of their mouth and then trumpeting the arrival of various Cocos or Unity games out of the other.
    True, it was the defenders of platform "purity" that kept that nonsense on refrain long after BBRY had dropped it.
    09-25-13 09:07 PM
    *sigh*.
    No, repeat after me: BBRY did everything RIGHT. It's the fault of the media, Steve Jobs, developers, NSA and the Indian Government.
    And the American banks who callously refused to make a special BB10 app for their few customers who don't have an iOS or Android device.
    09-25-13 09:09 PM
    I think "tools not toys" was an attempt to speak to their core market, but they were at the same time attempting to go beyond it. It didn't work; it likely didn't convince users to stay that were going to leave, and obviously it did nothing to bring new users over.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:19 PM
    Wrong. I used to be forced to use a BlackBerry enterprise phone. IT had it locked down and could do nothing on it but calls and email. It sat in my drawer at the end of the day while I used my iphone for everything - including my work email.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:27 PM
    Wrong- I'm an average user- none of the daily apps I use are on BlackBerry so I have to use my iphone.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:37 PM
    Wrong. I used to be forced to use a BlackBerry enterprise phone. IT had it locked down and could do nothing on it but calls and email. It sat in my drawer at the end of the day while I used my iphone for everything - including my work email.
    Bingo! I still believe that experience that we all had with the crappy old locked down BB5 device that IT threw at us is what killed all the brand value BlackBerry had in the US.
    09-25-13 09:37 PM
    Is that new what can is reporting, read my spring posts. Bb10 will be useless without apps and sell it for cheap to get the market share so more apps come. BlackBerry management killed bb10 by over pricing it and over confidence.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 10:31 PM
    i can't remember if my Z10 even have a Bloomberg news apps..? what a pathetic phone.
    09-25-13 10:39 PM
    While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?
    Really?

1. Can you extrapolate this argument out to having to deal with your ________ on the phone? It is waaay easier and less frustrating to deal with things like that electronically.

2. It's not AAPL that's defining people's behaviour. It's the technology.

3. What about speaking to people now and then? I have plenty of people to speak to, thanks. My family, my friends. In addition, I have to interact with people I don't know every single day. I have no lack of interaction and I love people. This has exactly nothing to do with not wanting to be social. It has to do with optimizing the use of your time.
    stoneland and 21stNow like this.
    09-25-13 10:55 PM
    The "tools not toys" and the "who needs apps use the browser" brigades can see this week where those strategies, espoused by the coCEOs and often repeated here as a battlecry, have led.
    I'm the only one in our company that uses a Z10. All others, at least in management use iPhone. I am also the only one that can initiate a call without it being dropped. I'm the only one who's call audio isn't garbled, and I'm the only who locks onto 4G consistently when within range.

I have many clients calling me on various devices and by now I can usually identify their OS just by the quality of the call. Not too many problems with incoming Android calls but plenty with iPhone. No problem with BB although most of those calls are from legacy devices so its hard to measure BB10 as a whole. I waste a lot of time asking clients to call me back because their calls are garbled. Depending on the caller, I will ask about their device and the majority will offer they're on an iPhone, which makes sense owing to the number of units sold.

My point is that a cellular phone, smart or otherwise, should first and foremost be a reliable communication device, IOW a PHONE. If it can't do that well, then I don't give a rat's a** about their ecosystem or the apps in their store.

IMHO there is far too much emphasis placed on apps. I know that makes me the odd man out but I bought my Z10 because I wanted a reliable phone. Other tools I need are available in BB World although the baked in apps are more than what I need.

I think BB going private is a good thing. Let Apple and Android (perhaps even Windows) slug it out over apps, specs and gimmicks. If BB continues as a phone maker offering niche devices then I'm all for that. I'll pay a premium for one of their phones if need be. Care Bear pastels and useless gimmicks don't interest me much.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    09-25-13 11:39 PM
    This article was very accurate and spot on. Just look at the top free apps in BB World, most of them are barely hitting the 3 star mark. I have emailed support to a few devs simply asking if there is an update in the works and the usual reply is that there either isn't or no immediate plans for it. I also agree about the discover-ability. The search has to be very precise and accurate to find what you're looking for and one little typo will not yield you any results.

Also a lot of the screens are just filled with the same app displayed under multiple tabs like for example Sayit is under Top Paid, Top Paid Built for BlackBerry, Top Grossing, and Top Grossing Built for BlackBerry.
    09-25-13 11:42 PM
    they arent wrong
    09-25-13 11:59 PM
    Explain away the featured positions for Web Launchers then. I see the BBC Sport 'app' featured all the time on my Z10, and its a launcher. So highlighted doesn't mean good.
    By "good downloads" I'm going by amount of people who download, not quality of app. That's subjective. It's the argument that boy bands are garbage, but they sell millions of records.
    09-26-13 01:50 AM
    I can't fault anything the article said. I still find it ridiculous that there are no banking apps for my banks on BB10.
    Painful FACTS
    09-26-13 02:02 AM
    Keep moving?
    Amateur hour is over?
    Tools, not toys?

And look where we are now, folks. The key to any consumer business is to listen to the consumer! Blackberry forgot who their users really were and besides, they were arrogant and proud enough to believe anything with a Blackberry logo would sell in droves.
    09-26-13 02:02 AM
    Why does it need two? It uses more cores than legacy devices. Is it less efficient?
    I know your question is largely rhetorical, but it's pretty obvious how "efficient" BB10 is seeing as how they can't even build a mid range device with less than 2GB RAM.

Yes they need those cores. RIM pretty much stated that they were going to wait until Dual Cores came down in price before they even launched a phone with their next OS on it, back before the play book released.

When they released the playbook, they used the cheapest dual core CPU they could find, from TI. And we got a glimpse of what kind of efficiency they were working towards for BB10 when it launched and greeted people with OOM Errors while "Multi-Tasking", terrible battery life, and sluggish performance in places.
    09-26-13 02:03 AM
    Keep moving?
    Amateur hour is over?
    Tools, not toys?

And look where we are now, folks. The key to any consumer business is to listen to the consumer! Blackberry forgot who their users really were and besides, they were arrogant and proud enough to believe anything with a Blackberry logo would sell in droves.
    Here in Australia we were encouraged by a guerrilla campaign to "WAKE UP". They never explained what they meant by that either. Very strange.
    09-26-13 03:35 AM
    That campaign was cringe worthy.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 04:52 AM
    Have you ever read once anything positive on blackberry at Cnn?

Who gives a sheeit about positive or negative? They're right and that's the bottom line. BlackBerry is in the toilet for a reason. And it's not because there's some idiotic conspiracy to hate on BlackBerry. They simply can't compete, because their apps are deplorable or non-existent.

Sent from Tapatalk using BlackBerry Z10
    09-26-13 05:25 AM
    You hit it on the head. Open 7 apps on a BlackBerry, and rest assured either you will be forced to do a battery pull or the apps will crash/ freeze rendering you a mummy until the phone starts working again. Can't speak for Android, but my iPhone doesn't stall nor freeze. It's simplicity is what sets it apart from anything BlackBerry has created.
    09-26-13 05:35 AM
    BlackBerry should do a total reset and start giving away their phones. Sell the phones for 29.99. Before you do that, do SOMETHING to port over the apps from Android. It's amazing the trouble they've had with their ancient platform. Without those apps, way lower prices for their devices and a real "BB app world" they're dead.
    09-26-13 05:41 AM
    CNN sucks just like all the other mainstream media outlets. Nothing but biased crap.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    Bet you wouldn't complain about CNN if they had a Native app on BB10.
    09-26-13 05:45 AM
    48000 apps from one dev in Hong Kong. Most of them crap.

That is really sickening. Good article from CNN, nobody has really focused on that, but it is so true.
    BlackBerry ought to be ashamed of themselves to allow this to continue.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    09-26-13 05:52 AM
364 ... 7891011 ...