12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 678910 ...
tools
    CNN sucks just like all the other mainstream media outlets. Nothing but biased crap.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-25-13 04:37 PM
    But they can't market it. Sideloading is a non-starter at retail--period. It's a workaround, not a feature. It was intended to be a stopgap measure until the platform was able to make up the difference with native apps. Even if the general consumer were aware of what it was, it's a market weakness, not a strength. Salespeople at retail will not waste valuable minutes trying to define "side loading" to a consumer who can download the same apps with no technical hurdles on competing platforms.
    It might also be illegal since sideloading most falls outside of any end user agreements from the developers themselves. Marketing piracy is not really a good thing.
    09-25-13 04:45 PM
    And yet no one seems to want to take the App Developers team to task. Why is no one calling for Alec Saunders to resign? In my opinion he can sing as many bad songs as he likes, but the buck has to stop somewhere around his head for the crap app situation too.
    I was thinking this same thing the other day. BB needs someone to sell BB10 to the dev's, not sing them fun songs.
    09-25-13 05:01 PM
    I was thinking this same thing the other day. BB needs someone to sell BB10 to the dev's, not sing them fun songs.
    I called for Alec's resignation... See above
    09-25-13 05:14 PM
    That's what I'm saying, Facebook isn't too bad. It's not great, but to say it's awful is exaggerating. They shouldve used cascades for Facebook, that I'm pissed about.

"It's not worst, but is not great also" - new slogan for BBRY.

//sarcasm off

I've told about this situation at July 2012, before BB10 has been released. Allowing port Android apps and Port-A-Thon(s) was been bad idea.
    09-25-13 05:18 PM
    TD and Scotia have banking apps in Canada. Not sure about the other banks as I've never dealt with them.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:18 PM
    Pretty sure they don't want BlackBerry in the game because of its security. Think about all of the support any other platform receives. Think about how the government wants easy access to everything.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:19 PM
    For me the last two have been the problem. A want a Z10, like everything, super fast, perfect size, etc... but have two "small" problems
    - Apps (important for my job)
    - Price (in my country you have to buy BB wihout contract)
    For Apps, BlackBerry can only do so much to attract developers. They can make development easy, which they've tried by releasing multiple ways to make apps and having the Android runtime. They can pay for apps, which to a certain extent, they tried as well. Some developers will only be attracted if there are enough phones sold and that's a difficult thing to overcome with a new OS. Moving forward, they could clean out the app store and emphasize quality over quantity, as some have suggested.

Pricing-wise, they could have very well lowered the price when the phones weren't selling in the needed volumes. They learned this lesson now. High profit margins on phones don't mean much when the phones are all sitting in a warehouse. Expect a sale. You'll have a Z10 soon enough.
    09-25-13 05:20 PM
    CNN sucks just like all the other mainstream media outlets. Nothing but biased crap.

More proof to my theory people like to call foul. In this thread there have been several links to a positive story on CNN. Two threads on the 1st page in this section as well.
    09-25-13 05:21 PM
    I think this article is overblown crap. There are terrible apps just like in any platform, but to imply there aren't any good ones is a lie. There are many good quality apps. No one is saying it is to the level of iOS or Android, but for many people there is a sufficient amount of good quality apps. Honestly, there are only a few apps I don't have that I'd like, and even those aren't really all that important (they'd be rarely used). Your average user really only uses a few apps other than core functionality. So for the average user, BB is a valid option, and a great option when you consider the areas other than app catalog.
    09-25-13 05:32 PM
    More proof to my theory people like to call foul. In this thread there have been several links to a positive story on CNN. Two threads on the 1st page in this section as well.
    I'll say this one more time, I'm talking about their news IN GENERAL. Your theory doesn't apply to what I said, CNN etc... are all biased media when it comes to OTHER NEWS...jesus this place really is becoming a sour place for sour people who just wanna pick fights. ask your neighbor for a cup of sugar?

09-25-13 05:33 PM
    Same stuff that happened at Borders Book they let Amazon.com handle their online book orders and look what happened to them..Blackberry is doing the same with sideloading and the same fate of Borders is happening to them
    BlackBerry wasn't/isn't in a position to dictate to developers to develop native only. The Android runtime was their way to get apps quickly. Unfortunately, that wasn't even enough for some developers. The lack on the Android runtime would just mean users today would be without even more apps.
    09-25-13 05:36 PM
    I will get blasted by the "tools not toys" peeps but the lack of apps is the very reason I'm getting an HTC One in a few days. Am I getting rid of my Z10? Heck no! When I need a communion device there's no better, but sometimes I wanna do other things.

And yes I have side loaded but they aren't the same at all!

Z10
    At least it's good for Communion. Good bless.

tapd from my S3 Synergy b484
    09-25-13 06:06 PM
    Maybe he means market it to the app companies themselves. All they have to do is port over the app, with 10.2 those ports will run like native. I don't see why they can't just port over the apps it's really easy, no extra work for them unless they wanna make a native app down the line. It's all about incentives though.
    "Can't" is not the issue. They simply won't.

It doesn't matter how easy it is to port them. Developers will routinely produce for even the most difficult platform if the audience is there. The audience isn't here, and sideloading can't change that. There is nothing to "market" to Android developers, because there's no benefit to porting a non-native app for a workaround which probably only a fraction of BB10 users actually employ.
    09-25-13 06:21 PM
    Malarkey you said reminds me of somebody that has a funny grin.....LOL
    There's a lot of garbage apps I agree, but to say there aren't any good apps at all is malarkey. Many bad reviews come from user error, heck the fb app on IOS has 3 and half stars. The store has plenty of good apps to keep people entertained and somewhat productive. Banking apps are missing which is crucial for many people, instagram etc...but to mention candy crush among them? Are you serious?

09-25-13 06:32 PM
    "Can't" is not the issue. They simply won't.

It doesn't matter how easy it is to port them. Developers will routinely produce for even the most difficult platform if the audience is there. The audience isn't here, and sideloading can't change that. There is nothing to "market" to Android developers, because there's no benefit to porting a non-native app for a workaround which probably only a fraction of BB10 users actually employ.
    Tough synopsis, but I cannot really counter it.

But this is why I don't necessarily think the Developer Relations team is the biggest cause of BB10's struggles.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-25-13 at 07:11 PM.
    09-25-13 06:33 PM
    I agree: criticizing the BB10 Dev Relations team is akin to being onboard the capsizing Titanic -- and complaining about the ship's musical act.

They were dealt the hand they were dealt.
    09-25-13 07:03 PM
    48000 apps from one dev in Hong Kong. Most of them crap.

That is really sickening. Good article from CNN, nobody has really focused on that, but it is so true.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 07:06 PM
    This CNN piece is nothing we all haven't been saying for months since BB10 launch.

If we're now at a point where analysts and tech pundits are effectively saying, "the root problem with BB10 the lack of apps" they're NOT saying that the OS itself is bad.

With BB's new focus, BB shouldn't put too many resources into fixing the app gap immediately: they need to get more bodies onto the BB10 platform... which is probably the way to fix the app gap, too.

There's this thing BlackBerry doesn't want to do, for reasons I don't fully understand: they don't want to "look backward"... the rough translation is that they don't want to attempt to make BB10 in any way like BBOS.

What BB did was try to make BB10 like something WILDLY successful: iOS and Android. Without starting a flame war:
    - if BB10 is a good OS
    - if Android is a good OS, objectively no better or worse than BB10
    - if iOS is a good OS, objectively no better or worse than BB10

it stands to reason that the key differentiators that make Android and iOS successful are great APPS, not just the core OS. If Android had fewer apps than BB10, with no prospects for that to change, would Android be doing as well as it is? Of, if iOS 8 was not backward compatible with iOS apps, so all the apps had to be made brand new from scratch, would iOS 8 be a success, so if anyone upgraded their iPhone 5S to iOS 8 that all their apps would be deleted and could not be downloaded, would anyone upgrade?

In contrast to what may be common sense only in hindsight, that is EXACTLY what BlackBerry is asking customers to do. Buy into an OS that has little prospects of closing the App Gap, and is not backward compatible with the user experience they're used to and certainly not compatible with the apps they are familiar with.

If we say "No" the above questions, then BlackBerry Ltd. trying to compete with with iOS and Android with a very similar user experience but without the apps is absolutely futile... a 'fact' borne out by the 'success' of BB10.

So, BlackBerry needs to do something REALLY DIFFERENT, not REALLY THESAME-but-with-less-money-and-3-years-behind.

They could start by NOT not-looking-back to BBOS for features and ideas. They could consider a BBOS virtual machine that can operate just exactly like a BBOS device. If they can run Android on BB10, why not BBOS? Yeah, that would be a heck of a lot of work... but maybe they can just bring BB10 to feature parity with BBOS to start? Maybe optionally mimic the BBOS user experience on BB10, OPTIONALLY for those coming from BBOS devices?

Here's hoping that someone at BlackBerry knows what that is and they don't wait too long to do it.

They should just read the "Armchair CEO" forum and they will actually see a lot of incredibly good ideas in there, amongst the tears.
    09-25-13 07:38 PM
    Positive and truth don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Posted via CBX
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-25-13 08:08 PM
    I will get blasted by the "tools not toys" peeps but the lack of apps is the very reason I'm getting an HTC One in a few days. Am I getting rid of my Z10? Heck no! When I need a communion device there's no better, but sometimes I wanna do other things.

And yes I have side loaded but they aren't the same at all!

Z10
    I cannot be arsed to carry 2-3 devices anymore.

Before it was Android + iOS + BB then it was WP + Android + iOS.

I will never do that, unless I get a tablet and in that case it will almost assuredly use the same ecosystem as my phone because managing multiple identities/services and dealing with double purchases across multiple app stores isn't worth any potential benefits to me.
    09-25-13 08:14 PM
    So they're just catching on to what we've known for months?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    09-25-13 08:14 PM
    The "tools not toys" and the "who needs apps use the browser" brigades can see this week where those strategies, espoused by the coCEOs and often repeated here as a battlecry, have led.
    Unfortunately right, even though I agree that much of the apps are totally unnecessary and can do the same in a good browser, companies have to pay attention at the market and for much unnecessary that it could be you sometimes have to give people what they WANT and not only what they (or you think) they NEED. Apple and Google are giving people an ecosystem where they can get anything they want and more Blackberry (right or wrong in their line of thought) gave the people only what they thought they need (fortunately for me I always got what I needed with Blackberry) and there are the results.
    09-25-13 08:15 PM
    Tools not toys will go down in history as the stubborn mantra that killed BlackBerry. Unfortunately, instead of learning from that debacle they've chosen to go right back in that same direction by ignoring the consumer again. Now it's quite possible they made that decision because the big name developers have told them they have absolutely no plans of developing for BlackBerry and so they are now lowering expectations.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    crazylegshinch likes this.
    09-25-13 08:36 PM
    In the end what killed Blackberry was Blackberry, they are the only one to blame
    09-25-13 08:59 PM
364 ... 678910 ...