12-14-15 12:51 AM
364 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I still use my Torch 9810, it has all the apps I need
    09-25-13 01:00 PM
    There's a number of things that killed BlackBerry. "Terrible apps" (or more appropriately, lack of quality native apps) was just one piece of the pie.

I've said it before that BlackBerry's app catalog is impressive for a platform that had zero market share at the start of February. And it's ideal for mobile gaming, with a good selection of 3D titles often cheaper than on other platforms.

I could never understand how BlackBerry allowed sideloading and encouraged porting of Android apps. It's kind of like having somebody else sleep with your spouse because you can't do the job right.
    Same stuff that happened at Borders Book they let Amazon.com handle their online book orders and look what happened to them..Blackberry is doing the same with sideloading and the same fate of Borders is happening to them
    09-25-13 01:02 PM
    While the writer is correct with many of his points. I do think he is being unfair to blackberry as well. BlackBerry tried to get us the apps we wanted, the developers just didn't want to play ball. While not having banking apps is a serious sticking point here, aside from those, I have basically every app I want or need. Candy crush? Lol. I don't care about candy crush. The gaming in the z10 is pretty good too I have lots of great titles. And I can side load anything else I want. They have tried. And for that I am grateful. They have given me a great phone with quality specs, that really learns how I do things, and helps me get it done faster than any other device. 4 out of 5 ain't that bad. Thanks blackberry!

Posted via SEGA master system
    DJM626 and Jerale Hoard like this.
    09-25-13 01:04 PM
    And yet no one seems to want to take the App Developers team to task. Why is no one calling for Alec Saunders to resign? In my opinion he can sing as many bad songs as he likes, but the buck has to stop somewhere around his head for the crap app situation too.
    Alec Saunders needs to resign. Lack of QA + underperforming devs + rushing to fill an empty metric (number of apps) = Total devastation & lower value for end customers

There I said it... (Sorry Alec, but its the truth).
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-25-13 01:06 PM
    BB have potential to be almost like apple or samsung. They need to listen the market, what people want...
    No they don't
    09-25-13 01:08 PM
    You won't regret it. The speakers are bananas.
    I'm waiting for the Nexus 5.
    09-25-13 01:08 PM
    "Smaller developers don't want to invest in BlackBerry, because it it's hard for consumers to stumble upon their apps in a diluted pool."

That is just faulty reasoning. They even said Android and iOS have tons of garbage apps (and in theory, there are even more if not talking percentage of total app store). Popular apps are frequently highlighted and any app with good downloads will continue to be highlighted. So a crap app with no downloads is not going to hyped over a good app with many downloads.

The rational reasoning for small developers not to invest in BlackBerry is because they do not have lots of money and need to manage their resources wisely. They need to reach the largest audience they can! So missing on this more important part is an epic fail.

I've got over 120 apps. Not saying they are all killer apps, but its a bit of an exaggeration. If anything, they should have focused on the lack of big name apps to draw people from other platforms, not the quality of the apps.
    09-25-13 01:17 PM
    Even the native Facebook and Twitter apps his team has created are terrible.

Posted via CB10
    I don't find the FB or Twitter app to be terrible. Please explain so I can have an understanding what's wrong with those apps? :/

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:20 PM
    I don't find the FB or Twitter app to be terrible. Please explain so I can have an understanding what's wrong with those apps? :/

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm saying, Facebook isn't too bad. It's not great, but to say it's awful is exaggerating. They shouldve used cascades for Facebook, that I'm pissed about.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    09-25-13 01:29 PM
    That's what I'm saying, Facebook isn't too bad. It's not great, but to say it's awful is exaggerating. They shouldve used cascades for Facebook, that I'm pissed about.

Now this is a reasonable explanation.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:30 PM
    My only counter point in the app argument is that some of the apps that are for banking and day to day life aren't as necessary as they are or were when they first came out on iPhone. I can remember when I had an iPhone and waited for ever for my bank to make an app and it still sucked. The mobile browser version was useless too so I always had to use my computer. However, with BB10, I get the functionality of a computer on my phone. No need for the app. Is it as convenient as android or IOS, which have the app? No. However, I am just as happy bookmarking it and using my browser. Small victories.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:31 PM
    My only counter point in the app argument is that some of the apps that are for banking and day to day life aren't as necessary as they are or were when they first came out on iPhone. I can remember when I had an iPhone and waited for ever for my bank to make an app and it still sucked. The mobile browser version was useless too so I always had to use my computer. However, with BB10, I get the functionality of a computer on my phone. No need for the app. Is it as convenient as android or IOS, which have the app? No. However, I am just as happy bookmarking it and using my browser. Small victories.

Posted via CB10
    Just another excuse. For a company that is using the phrase "Keep you moving", missing bank apps is a serious blow. And as a so-called business phone, aren't banking apps pretty important?
    09-25-13 01:43 PM
    I agree with the posters that say other platforms have much larger collections of apps that let the user decide what to put on their phones. Yes, we do have some big-name apps for BB10 but it is the granular apps that make a difference. For example, I cannot get Blackboard on my Z10 since it was only developed for iOS and Android. It would be nice to have while I complete my MBA since the university I attend loads up the assignments and other info on Blackboard. The same can be said about the school districts for my kids: iOS and Android only. The official app for my NHL hockey team?: iOS and Android only, and I could go on and on. Some people brought up the very valid point that there are few banking apps, even from Canadian banks! If Canadian banks won't support a platform from a Canadian company, what does that say? Again, I had to sideload TDAmeritrade to follow my investments (no, I never bought BBRY...) and RBC is just now getting an app for BB10. Evidently, it wasn't as much of a priority for them as an iOS or Android app.

Yes, I can sideload some of these but they are not fully functional. Once they are sideloaded, you cannot update them. Pandora used to work but not anymore. The reality is that 99.9% of users do not want to jump through hoops to sideload apps (not even BB users) because they have more important things to do than to go through the process of getting an app from PlayStore, converting it and loading it up. They want to go to the App Store or Play Store, find their app, and install it on their phone (and from their phone) in a few minutes rather than spend 15-20 minutes hooking up phones to their laptop, converting apps and hope they work, and installing them.

I won't even get into the whole OS thing. That's just another beast in and of itself that 99.99% of users don't want to deal with.

The reality is that I love my Z10 and the user interface is great. I install leaks if I think it's worth it. But the things I want my phone to do can't be done without taking up time that could be used for more important things. That being said, we now all know where BB is headed and it's just a question of when I'll jump ship (and it will be sooner rather than later) and where I'll wind up. There will be no more major apps for BB10, nor will there be major updates to existing ones.

Will BlackBerry survive? I doubt it unless they have a fool-proof niche plan for corporate and government customers that no one knows about. Chances are it will be carved up like that other high-flying Canadian company that had a spectacular collapse a decade ago. Prem Watsa signed a letter of intent but no one believes he'll actually get the funding or partners to buy BB. That's why the stock is sitting at just above $8 today on the NASDAQ when he's offered to buy it for $9.
    09-25-13 01:55 PM
    All I want is BB10 Skype, Dunkin Donuts, and BMO Harris.
    09-25-13 01:58 PM
    He did kind of hit it spot on. Bad apps coupled with just a pitifully implemented app store is really hurting BlackBerry as we all already know.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Granted, if the big name developers didn't want to develop for BBRY, there is little the company could do. However, if they could have fixed the "big name" apps situation with credible alternatives, where viable, they would probably be in much better shape.

I am OK with the attempt to invite porting Adroid apps, but as the article pointed out, for the most part the ones consumers wanted were not officially ported over. For whatever reason, the platform has not attracted developers to the extent BBRY expected and therein lies the whole story.
    09-25-13 02:00 PM
    Popular apps are frequently highlighted and any app with good downloads will continue to be highlighted. So a crap app with no downloads is not going to hyped over a good app with many downloads.
    Explain away the featured positions for Web Launchers then. I see the BBC Sport 'app' featured all the time on my Z10, and its a launcher. So highlighted doesn't mean good.
    09-25-13 02:05 PM
    Even the native Facebook and Twitter apps his team has created are terrible.
    Exactly, when you have core apps like Facebook and Twitter, which are terrible compared to the the Android versions, that speaks volumes. It's like buying a beautiful car with uncomfortable seats, that you can't change, and are forced to live with.
    09-25-13 02:05 PM
    Now I have no clue if the Bloomberg app is native, don't really care, but the truth is, if BB gets enough run room, finally figures out how to get devices in peoples hands (Z10-just give them away at this point to your enterprise customers, they will force people to use them) I think this app thing will fix itself.
    I've mentioned this before: there's a large number of haters with work BlackBerries. Some of those devices are locked down to prevent "normal" usage outside of work functionality. This is where a good bit of the animosity towards BlackBerry has been coming from for a few years. Won't get any traction there.

While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?

Posted via CB10
    Because people suck? This past Saturday my wife tried to order pizza for carry out from her shiny new iPhone - used Siri to find us a location, got the number, and called. She spent the next 10 minutes trying to be as courteous as possible explaining the order multiple times.

Saw this article this morning.

So much for duck face and food pics

Study: Almost quarter of Fortune 500 is active on Instagram - CNET Mobile
    Yup....I haven't got one single food pic. Selfies....yup, especially after I chopped off ALL THAT ANNOYING HAIR. Also have a pic of my nails super short. Other than that, it's pictures of things that are important to me - my animals, the areas around me, CLOUDS....I love clouds.....sue me....

And not one single duckface in the lot....

Instagram is what each person makes it. If all your friends do is post duckface selfies and food pictures, what does that say about the friends you have chosen to make?
    Thought of this after reading that. You're welcome.
    09-25-13 02:26 PM
    Is it important to most people? Nope. Is it important to me???? On those days, HECK YES.

And that's the issue. People decide individually what is important for each.
    I have to say, the same thing was said about a certain camera (shh!) issue. And the sh*t and abuse that was heaped on those who dared offer a legitimate use case, not to mention the ridiculous "legal" response from BlackBerry, just really soured me on BlackBerry and much of CrackBerry and people's ability to "listen"

10 months later, if/when we get 10.2 officially, that issue is no longer. Someone listened, but nearly a year to respond, for something so simple, that every other phone did, BlackBerry had some lame-a** excuse as to why it "had to be" the way it was. And BlackBerry apologists spoon fed the same crap out to anyone who dared question.
    09-25-13 02:34 PM
    if you came from the Bold the Z10 was an improvement if you were on other platforms is a downgrade..you can sugarcoat the obsolete specs of that phone all you want but people out there know better and you can read the numbers.
    The specs are not obsolete. If this wasn't based qnx kernel design,maybe they would be. But it doesn't need 30 cores. Thus, it's specs make it as fast as most other phones.

09-25-13 02:41 PM
    The specs are not obsolete. If this wasn't based qnx kernel design,maybe they would be. But it doesn't need 30 cores. Thus, it's specs make it as fast as most other phones.

Why does it need two? It uses more cores than legacy devices. Is it less efficient?
    09-25-13 02:43 PM
    Can't fault them for being truthful
    09-25-13 02:50 PM
    BlackBerry has to market this fact aggressively instead of keeping it a secret! I have over 40 Android apps sideloaded (Candy Crush, PInterest, Yelp, Google Maps, Yahoo Weather, Yahoo, Yahoo Email, Square Wallet, Square Reader, Instagram, Netflix, latest Skype, GotoMeeting, YouTube, Line, Viber, Vimeo, Vine, IMDb, Roku, Flickr, Pandora, FlipBoard, Snapchat, etc., etc., etc.) and there's no reason that I should have to do so - they should just be in BB World when 10.2 ships. I believe a great example is how FlipBoard is coming with 10.2. They realize that their app already works flawlessly. They have to work to convince those big name vendors to take a few minutes to put their Android apps in BB World.
    But they can't market it. Sideloading is a non-starter at retail--period. It's a workaround, not a feature. It was intended to be a stopgap measure until the platform was able to make up the difference with native apps. Even if the general consumer were aware of what it was, it's a market weakness, not a strength. Salespeople at retail will not waste valuable minutes trying to define "side loading" to a consumer who can download the same apps with no technical hurdles on competing platforms.
    09-25-13 02:59 PM
    But they can't market it. Sideloading is a non-starter at retail--period. It's a workaround, not a feature. It was intended to be a stopgap measure until the platform was able to make up the difference with native apps. Even if the general consumer were aware of what it was, it's a market weakness, not a strength. Salespeople at retail will not waste valuable minutes trying to define "side loading" to a consumer who can download the same apps with no technical hurdles on competing platforms.
    Maybe he means market it to the app companies themselves. All they have to do is port over the app, with 10.2 those ports will run like native. I don't see why they can't just port over the apps it's really easy, no extra work for them unless they wanna make a native app down the line. It's all about incentives though.

09-25-13 03:28 PM
    CNN really should be spending more time trying to figure out "What killed CNN" lol - They haven't been relevant in a decade.
    CNN reaches more people than blackberry could ever dream to
    AlexXF likes this.
    09-25-13 03:35 PM
364 ... 56789 ...