12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Except that he never actually said that it is coming, just that they were evaluating the idea.
    I mean again he didn't say no, I've seen tweets and emails from IG reps saying they were making a native app, posted from other members who inquired about it, but who knows, time will tell

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-25-13 12:29 PM
    Exactly, if you wanna refute my comment you're more than welcome to, but to use insults because you lack the education to debate is elementary. Sigh* immaturity and ignorance is a plauge.

How about this:

The quote is severely out of date, not taking into account BB 2Q and the absolute Failure of BB10 to gain any meaningful traction, neither does it take into account BB saying they were leaving the consumer market to focus on enterprise and prosumer (whatever the h311 prosumer is). Further the quote was before BB announce the Fairfax takeover which includes a real possibility of hardware being gone.

It is a very safe bet that if anyone at Instagram was working on a native BB10 app they were told to stop Monday, only way one gets released is if it was already done. I doubt they would even be willing to invest the time to do an official port. BB10 is currently dead for any big app developer that may change in 6 months or a year depending on what happens with BB going private but I would not bet on it.
    harlemsfinest27 and JeepBB like this.
    09-25-13 12:31 PM
    Oh jeez, at least the other guy gave some good points, and didn't use any insults. You on the other hand.....lack the intelligence to actually give a well structured argument without the use of "stupid" ,oh boy, and than we wonder why there is many misanthropes in this world.

Becuase the article clearly states NO confirmation whatsoever, and you're still trying to convince us that it is. I'm well aware this is Crackberry, but entirely too many users aren't biting the reality bullet, yourself included. Crackberry Kev said it himself it was coming, but it didn't. why? Because Instagram THEMSELVES never said it. Folks really need to stop being so ignorant and accept Blackberry for what it is. I was in love with this company, but the burn was too many. And this weekend with BBM4All launch solidified what they are. And side-loading is for the birds, no more of that nonsense
    Air Force One likes this.
    09-25-13 12:33 PM
    How about this:

The quote is severely out of date, not taking into account BB 2Q and the absolute Failure of BB10 to gain any meaningful traction, neither does it take into account BB saying they were leaving the consumer market to focus on enterprise and prosumer (whatever the h311 prosumer is). Further the quote was before BB announce the Fairfax takeover which includes a real possibility of hardware being gone.

It is a very safe bet that if anyone at Instagram was working on a native BB10 app they were told to stop Monday, only way one gets released is if it was already done. I doubt they would even be willing to invest the time to do an official port. BB10 is currently dead for any big app developer that may change in 6 months or a year depending on what happens with BB going private but I would not bet on it.
    See? That's what I'm talking about! Lol.
    Anyways, I agree with you, a lot of things happened after the ceo stated that. The future for IG is bleak, but it's still not for certain that it's not coming. It might still be in the works, but it could be at the bottom of the priority list after all the bad press.

09-25-13 12:39 PM
    Becuase the article clearly states NO confirmation whatsoever, and you're still trying to convince us that it is. I'm well aware this is Crackberry, but entirely too many users aren't biting the reality bullet, yourself included. Crackberry Kev said it himself it was coming, but it didn't. why? Because Instagram THEMSELVES never said it. Folks really need to stop being so ignorant and accept Blackberry for what it is. I was in love with this company, but the burn was too many. And this weekend with BBM4All launch solidified what they are. And side-loading is for the birds, no more of that nonsense
    I'm not convincing anyone. Omg im well aware believe me, it's just people come on here with this doom and gloom nonsense when we don't know for certain what the ultimate outcome is. All im saying is he never said no, that's all I'm saying. You guys can say whatever you want but until IG doesn't come out and say "we won't support BlackBerry" we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it won't come. Just like we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that BlackBerry will be sold for parts, or that they won't roll out any updates if they do get sold etc....

09-25-13 12:42 PM
    If end users aren't willingly choosing your product, you try to appeal to the people who are in a position to make the choice for them--the IT managers. If you can make it appeal to them, the fact that the end users don't like them doesn't matter. That's the meaning of "Enterprise solution"--a solution to BlackBerry's woes in the consumer market.
    Sure, but at least in our case (granted, we are a relatively small manufacturing company with a tiny user base), it was the executives mingling with their colleagues who could use an app, play a game, or do something with their iPhones that our BlackBerrys couldn't that led to the mandate to ditch BES and BlackBerry.

While all of us who have used the newer handsets know that the OS is far from embarrassing today, this thread highlights the fact that BB's success hinges on ensuring every popular app is available (in the store, in non-gimped form) for their platform, regardless of what sector they're trying to compete in.

That's my take at least, and I'm a very light app user myself. Aside from the social networking givens, my two essentials are Kindle and YouVersion. Both of those are still Android ports, it must be noted, though they work tolerably.
    09-25-13 12:44 PM
    Sad to say that the article hits the nail on its head. Personally, I do not use all the 'popular' apps like instagram, netflix, banking etc but then again, I am probably in the minority these days. The majority wants those apps and BB cannot survive by depending on a small number of customers who don't use the 'popular' apps.

I love my phone (Z10) and seriously hope that BlackBerry continues making phones available to the public instead of just enterprise customers.
    09-25-13 12:45 PM
    Blackberry have to build the NSA backdoor app, like apple did:-) So the NSA and a lot of global players (f.e. CNN) would be push blackberry into the markets, all for ruling the world, USA!USA!USA!USA!USA
    09-25-13 12:45 PM
    yeah the mobile site it the browser works great for me though.
    09-25-13 12:46 PM
    Beta waze is now available for BB!! Makes it all worth while!!
    09-25-13 12:46 PM
    If BB is on sale, and isnt selling like they expected, is probably because there are some problem

For some addicted people, the problem is that consumers won't buy BB. They are stupid and they are the cause of all problem...

For others, the problems is apps (those apps, that people on iphone, android or WP have)

For others it's marketing.

For me the last two have been the problem. A want a Z10, like everything, super fast, perfect size, etc... but have two "small" problems
    - Apps (important for my job)
    - Price (in my country you have to buy BB wihout contract)

If you want to get more people, you need a not so expensive phone or the apps that most of consumers want.

BB have potential to be almost like apple or samsung. They need to listen the market, what people want...

Please, don't criticize CNN. They arent the problem, the problem is BB

I hope to see BB bigger in the future, and still want to buy a Z10 (but 370€ is to much)... In the time, I'll wait to see what happens...

PS: Sorry by my english
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 12:49 PM
    What is amazing to me is that BlackBerry had the history of the PlayBook to tell them what they needed to do, and then for reasons only known to them - didn't. Taking the 2 million or so that was spent on port-a-thons and jams and putting it towards apps like Netflix, Instagram etc would have been better expenditures of the cash. We are are closing on 9 months since the release of BB 10 and the major apps are not coming and unfortunately with the recent disclosures now may never come.

What is a real shame is that native apps done with Cascades are wonderful. I finally had the chance to see it when Bloomberg just released their app. It is the first application on BB10 that I think looks better than the Android equivalent on the GNote 2 - so the power is there, and to date remains unrealized by most.
    09-25-13 12:49 PM
    I'm not convincing anyone. Omg im well aware believe me, it's just people come on here with this doom and gloom nonsense when we don't know for certain what the ultimate outcome is. All im saying is he never said no, that's all I'm saying. You guys can say whatever you want but until IG doesn't come out and say "we won't support BlackBerry" we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it won't come. Just like we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that BlackBerry will be sold for parts, or that they won't roll out any updates if they do get sold etc....

The fact that they lost nearly 1billion in one quarter, and BB10 flopped big time...what exactly makes you think we're jumping to conclusions? Facts are facts. And at this point, Windows (yuck) is doing waaaaay better as a #3 and those folks have better argument for Instagram coming. For Bberry? Absolutely not. The "doom and gloom" isn't nonsense, it is REALITY. it's really time for folks to stop sugarcoating stuff. And why defend Blackberry anymore when they don't even care for the consumers? Promising stuff (ahem, Playbook OS10) and then breaking them. It's truly unbelivable how upset people get in here when Blackberry is insulted but reality is, they haven't done jack to help make a case for them. I damn near told everyone I knew to make sure they download BBM for their Androids/iPhones this past weekend. I was so embarrassed, just as embarrassed as me convincing people to buy the Playbook
    Skandalous1 likes this.
    09-25-13 12:55 PM
    This isn't exactly ground breaking journalism, but for the most part I don't disagree with the article. We've all heard the "Tools not toys" battlecry and the people who berate other users for mentioning that they want Netflix and the attitude of It's not important to me, therefore nobody needs it. But where has that gotten the company? It's ended in a nearly billion dollar write-down of hardware they can't sell.

So they tell us they are focusing on prosumers. That feels very much like a diversion to me. I don't know if I'm a prosumer. I do value getting things done efficiently. I think my Z10 is, bar none, the best communication experience I've ever had with a smartphone. But there's consumer things I want too.

For example, I'm a paramedic and occasionally my crew is called to neighbouring communities to stand by when things are busy. It would be nice to be able to pull my phone out and pop open Netflix and be able to continue off where I was when I left my computer. Does that mean that a BlackBerry isn't the device for me? What about a business person sitting on a train? Bet that would be useful to them too.

"Prosumers" are going to want things that they see their friends and family using too. Saying that they are changing their focus better not mean that they don't care about delivering some of those key apps. Otherwise I fear that what is left of the company will continue to suffer a slow, albeit private death.
    09-25-13 01:00 PM
    Hehe I don't use any of that voice software myself. I have SayIt but never use it, havent tried it since the last update, might play with it today

SayIt is a nice app.
    DJM626 likes this.
    09-25-13 01:14 PM
    CNN is a joke. End of story.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    09-25-13 01:15 PM
    Just have app issues, which should get better with the 10.2 update.
    Yeah OK. I heard this with the PlayBook "just wait till the Android player gets here it will get better". It didn't. Then we heard "just wait for BB10 to get here and it will fix the app problem" and it didn't, at least with the major ones that they get bashed with. Now it is 10.2 that will fix the issue?!?! Sorry but my feeling is we'll be hearing the same people say it will be 10.3, then BB11, then...... Without apps they won't get the "prosumer" or the consumer on board, unless their definition of a prosumer is someone who pirates Android apps for sideloading. Doesn't matter if it is Enterprise, Government, or "Prosumer", apps are now a requirement for all those segments and every platform now has a FIPS approved version so their one and only differentiator for so long is gone.
    09-25-13 01:19 PM
    What really killed Blackberry was releasing BB10 devices a minimum of 1 1/2 years (and more like 2 1/2 years) too late.
    Totally agree with this...
    AUgirl_inTX likes this.
    09-25-13 01:22 PM
    my 2.9 cents. As a former long time BB user ( started at 8100 personal, earlier models at work), All you have to do is look back at the BB phones. Curve after curve, bold after bold, they were all pretty much the same old thing rehashed. While everyone else was moving on with technology, BB kept pushing out curves, bolds, etc.. I was all set to get the Z10, then it was delayed and i saw the HTC ONE. (that and my playbook died) I moved on. It is so nice to have so many choices when it comes to apps. If you need something, it's most likely there. Thats all I have to say.
    09-25-13 01:22 PM
    While it's true that great apps are few and far between via BlackBerry World, the app problem is that there is no marketing or optimism coming from BlackBerry to help promote the improving native app selection (like various sports apps, news apps, music apps like iHeartRadio, SoundHound, etc.) as well as the upcoming fantastic 10.2 JellyBean runtime that allows you to run just about every latest Android app very well without any tweaking whatsoever. Instead we have dead silence. BlackBerry has to concede for now that their best strategy is to get Android JellyBean apps into BlackBerry World as soon as possible to address the gap. At this point Android apps mostly bypass the OS navigation and are using more gestures so many of them are perfectly fine on BB10 and no one is the wiser except when you try to share content.

BlackBerry has to market this fact aggressively instead of keeping it a secret! I have over 40 Android apps sideloaded (Candy Crush, PInterest, Yelp, Google Maps, Yahoo Weather, Yahoo, Yahoo Email, Square Wallet, Square Reader, Instagram, Netflix, latest Skype, GotoMeeting, YouTube, Line, Viber, Vimeo, Vine, IMDb, Roku, Flickr, Pandora, FlipBoard, Snapchat, etc., etc., etc.) and there's no reason that I should have to do so - they should just be in BB World when 10.2 ships. I believe a great example is how FlipBoard is coming with 10.2. They realize that their app already works flawlessly. They have to work to convince those big name vendors to take a few minutes to put their Android apps in BB World.

As for the app gap, I don't think that was the biggest problem here. Case in point - the HTC One is arguably the best Android phone on the market; at least as good as the S4 and it has every app availble. Yet HTC is struggling to sell phones and incurring losses and almost going out of business too. The main problem here is marketing and brand perception. People in the US despise BlackBerry (and now UK too according to the latest brand survey) and only think ill thoughts toward BlackBerry. Just reading the latest Wall Street articles today shows what a feeding frenzy it is and people want to actively punish BlackBerry now with scathing articles, instead of just leaving them alone. It's infuriating to me as a shareholder.

There is nothing that can stop that kind of hate other than a radically different campaign to change people's mindset about the brand, or simply creating an all new brand like many car companies did where it's not clear who the parent company is. The fact that a Z10 or Q10 says BlackBerry on it makes it an uphill climb, even if it were the best device ever and had every app on it. While companies like Audi, GM, Ford, Chrysler may have been able to turn their brands around, I don't believe the current management is capable of doing so.

BlackBerry will never be cool again until they actually give people a reason to think so.
    MPLexus301 and AUgirl_inTX like this.
    09-25-13 01:40 PM
    Great article.
    09-25-13 01:43 PM
    n I'm getting an HTC One in a few days
    You won't regret it. The speakers are bananas.
    09-25-13 01:52 PM
    Bloomberg is...and it works well.
    Bloomberg is a news app not a business one..I can trade stocks from Android and IOS..not on BB
    09-25-13 01:54 PM
    Ask yourself this: if Blackberry World had all the apps that Google has plus all the apps that iPhone has, plus a million more.... would BB10 phones be selling much, much better than they are now? Of course they would.

It's not all about the apps but it's 80% apps. Even if you have a crap OS, if people can get good apps they will buy your device. They'll b*tch about it, but they'll buy it.
    MPLexus301 likes this.
    09-25-13 01:58 PM
    CNN really should be spending more time trying to figure out "What killed CNN" lol - They haven't been relevant in a decade.
    Yet they remain relevant enough to spark a discussion in this thread....LoL
    09-25-13 01:59 PM
364 ... 45678 ...