12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 34567 ...
tools
    They did say it, officially. The ceo promised it for bb10 and Windows Phone.
    Instagram CEO promises Instagram for Windows Phone and BB10 before Google Glass | RKUK Media

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    “We’re not yet on Blackberry or Windows Phone, so I think those will come before Google Glass. … I’m not saying those will come anytime soon. I’m just saying that in order of priority, the way we evaluate where to expand to is really simply where our users are, and where the growth is. It took us a very long time to get to Android”
    "So I think those will come" absolutely does not constitute to any type of confirmation.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, consider the last part of his comment: "the way we evaluate where to expand to is really simply where our users are, and where the growth is." I don't think I really need to say anything else.
    09-25-13 11:41 AM
    BlackBerry definitely needs banking applications. Damn that Instagram or Vine, give me a banking application. Chase maintains no one has even approached them about making a BlackBerry 10 application. If true, I think that is horrendous. My alarm company refuses to make a new app as well. I have other ways to use both, but would love to get down to one device doing it all. I would still use my tablet, of course, but for rudimentary things such as a banking or alarm app, I would prefer those to be on my phone. Moreover, App World remains a joke. The UI is fresh, but the practices behind the scenes still needs improvement. I really would rather BlackBerry World to have 20,000 quality applications, rather than 120,000 horrendous ones. Stop harping on quanity. Get after that quality. Anders in the game division seems to get that because they stay on top of such things; the other section needs some of that chutzpah as well.
    app_Developer and srfinva like this.
    09-25-13 11:46 AM
    I can't believe how a game on a phone has gained so much importance, smh.
    and herein lies the problem. This scenario played out with Angry Birds many years ago now (eons in the tech world) so the fact people are still supprised by it is a mystery to me.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-25-13 11:47 AM
    What confuses me is how I keep hearing that BlackBerry's error was taking their focus off of the business market that made them successful, when my experience, and my understanding of what was happening elsewhere, was that the business users starting finding their devices comparing unfavorably to those gaining broader popularity.

The niche that BB claims they are trying to return to is, it seems to me, the one that grew disenchanted with them. Heck, isn't that a significant part of why BYOD became a thing? How many of you have commented on seeing a BlackBerry in a stranger's hand only to have them shrug apologetically and say, "it's a work phone."

So how is refocusing on business supposed to be a successful strategy if it isn't with a device and ecosystem that gives those business users everything they can get elsewhere? You're competing for consumers whether you like it or not.
    srfinva, cbvinh, 21stNow and 2 others like this.
    09-25-13 11:47 AM
    "So I think those will come" absolutely does not constitute to any type of confirmation.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, consider the last part of his comment: "the way we evaluate where to expand to is really simply where our users are, and where the growth is." I don't think I really need to say anything else.
    Right it could take a little longer ofcourse, but he never said it wouldn't happen. As long as they don't officially say no than we shouldn't assume. Let's just wait and see

09-25-13 11:48 AM
    They did say it, officially. The ceo promised it for bb10 and Windows Phone.
    ... but he never said it wouldn't happen. As long as they don't officially say no than we shouldn't assume.
    So, uh, which is it?

I'd love to see the app on BB almost more than anyone else, but I also realize that BB is in a very bad place, and may be abandoning the consumer market all together, while the growth and buzz around Windows phones is increasing every day. Don't think that Windows isn't buzzing in Instagram's ear every day as well, with a better business case for development.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 11:52 AM
    So, uh, which is it?

I'd love to see the app on BB almost more than anyone else, but I also realize that BB is in a very bad place, and may be abandoning the consumer market all together, while the growth and buzz around Windows phones is increasing every day. Don't think that Windows isn't buzzing in Instagram's ear every day as well, with a better business case for development.
    Again he said it was coming regarldess of his other words, there's more important things on his plate and BlackBerry isn't at the top i understand that,but Youre basically saying it won't come and I'm telling you until there is no official statement regarding that we shouldn't assume they won't make one.

09-25-13 11:59 AM
    and herein lies the problem. This scenario played out with Angry Birds many years ago now (eons in the tech world) so the fact people are still supprised by it is a mystery to me.
    I'm not saying these apps aren't paramount,believe me I know, but to ME it's ridiculous how games are able to make or break a platform. If candy crush alone brings more users than bring it on over, but I highly doubt that would sway many consumers.

09-25-13 12:02 PM
    Lack of choice when it comes to apps is the real problem. Randomly pick out 10 users from the smartphone user population, Apple App Store and Google Play will manage to please probably at least 7 out of those 10 users, but BlackBerry World will manage to please probably at most 3 out of those 10 users, Windows Phone Store may have fare much better due to the stability and effort of Microsoft but still not near the that of Apple and Google ones. With the gigantic cloud of uncertainty hanging around BlackBerry the company, the platform, the hardware, the chance of popular applications coming as native port (or even just Android port) just went from small to very slim. While I am personally happy with the Z10 so far and the apps I have on it, I realize that I probably belong to the 3 out of 10.
    09-25-13 12:03 PM
    There's a number of things that killed BlackBerry. "Terrible apps" (or more appropriately, lack of quality native apps) was just one piece of the pie.

I've said it before that BlackBerry's app catalog is impressive for a platform that had zero market share at the start of February. And it's ideal for mobile gaming, with a good selection of 3D titles often cheaper than on other platforms.

I could never understand how BlackBerry allowed sideloading and encouraged porting of Android apps. It's kind of like having somebody else sleep with your spouse because you can't do the job right.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    09-25-13 12:07 PM
    Honestly, in the midst of it all, I didn't know WHAT I was missing until I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 with my upgrade last month...just wasn't interested in BB10 anymore. I have two faithful Blackberries in my desk right now, and I will not get rid of either one of them, but the app choice or lack thereof is what made me switch. I really do hope Blackberry can get back on track, but if not, at least the ride was fun while it lasted.
    09-25-13 12:08 PM
    Whoa :O
    I can see why you need a Siri like app

Siri? Nah, Google Now is what you want
    09-25-13 12:08 PM
    Spot on. And bold move is what's needed. Clearing up the S4BB trash embarassment would be a good show of seriousness.
    Indeed.
    09-25-13 12:09 PM
    Siri? Nah, Google Now is what you want
    Hehe I don't use any of that voice software myself. I have SayIt but never use it, havent tried it since the last update, might play with it today

09-25-13 12:11 PM
    So how is refocusing on business supposed to be a successful strategy if it isn't with a device and ecosystem that gives those business users everything they can get elsewhere? You're competing for consumers whether you like it or not.
    If end users aren't willingly choosing your product, you try to appeal to the people who are in a position to make the choice for them--the IT managers. If you can make it appeal to them, the fact that the end users don't like them doesn't matter. That's the meaning of "Enterprise solution"--a solution to BlackBerry's woes in the consumer market.

It remains to be seen whether Windows Phone will have better success with apps and the consumer market. Personally, I think the Android runtime was a bold and risky move, and even though it appears not to have succeeded I admire BlackBerry for trying it.

I wonder, though, if BB10 could have been shoehorned into <1GB of RAM without the Android runtime and the various hooks and routines needed to get it to talk to the rest of the system. And if so, perhaps budget BB10 devices would have been more feasible.

In short, is the order of dominoes something like: Apps need Android; Android needs runtime; runtime bloats BB10; bloat requires more RAM; more RAM makes devices more expensive....

Or do I need to put down the bong?
    09-25-13 12:12 PM
    Again he said it was coming regarldess of his other words, there's more important things on his plate and BlackBerry isn't at the top i understand that,but Youre basically saying it won't come and I'm telling you until there is no official statement regarding that we shouldn't assume they won't make one.

Dude, are you some kind of stupid? Instagram is NOT coming for Bberry! And that article doesn't confirm nada. Lol, wow, the ignorance is unbelievable
    09-25-13 12:12 PM
    Hmm to be fair, whatsapp has been updated very frequently since it's launch. More so than windows phone, that I know for sure. And our whatsapp app is actually very functional. The only thing missing is broadcast. And to explain why even this app, with all the updates that has been given to it, still gets 3 stars is easy. People don't know how to use the freaking gestures! Look at the reviews. People are giving 1 stars because they can't change their profile picture or they can't change their status... Seriously?? it's gotten so bad that in the latest update, whatsapp included a tutorial to tell people to swipe down just to get to the settings. Yet, still some people complain about the same things even after updating to the latest version... smh some people just don't know or don't care for reading or understanding how the phone works... twitter and Facebook were bad at first but with the updates, it has gotten better. But reviews tend to be super extreme and that sucks..

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 12:15 PM
    Or do I need to put down the bong?
    No, just pass it over....

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    Honestly, in the midst of it all, I didn't know WHAT I was missing until I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 with my upgrade last month...just wasn't interested in BB10 anymore. I have two faithful Blackberries in my desk right now, and I will not get rid of either one of them, but the app choice or lack thereof is what made me switch. I really do hope Blackberry can get back on track, but if not, at least the ride was fun while it lasted.
    I've described my switch to the Note 2 earlier this year as a sense of relief. It really is quite a thing when you've been used to the BB way for so long, and suddenly, all of these doors that were closed to you are wide open. You hear or read about or see an app, you just go get it. No hoping it will come, no petitioning the developer pleading for a BB version, no sideloading, no knock-off apps, no workarounds. The app is just there.
    Dude, are you some kind of stupid? Instagram is NOT coming for Bberry! And that article doesn't confirm nada. Lol, wow, the ignorance is unbelievable
    Oh jeez, at least the other guy gave some good points, and didn't use any insults. You on the other hand.....lack the intelligence to actually give a well structured argument without the use of "stupid" ,oh boy, and than we wonder why there is many misanthropes in this world.

h20work likes this.
    09-25-13 12:16 PM
    Oh jeez, at least the other guy gave some good points, and didn't use any insults. You on the other hand.....
    Agreed. The community is reeling but there's no need to insult one another.
    09-25-13 12:19 PM

Except that he never actually said that it is coming, just that they were evaluating the idea.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 12:22 PM
    You may not like it but they are right.

Go to BBWorld and search for "tumblr". See the endless list of **** app (yes **** because they look like there were just generated from a template).

As a developer I could write one, a good one but why bother. it would just get swallowed in all the crap.
    So as a developer who doesn't want to get lost in the sea of dilution, you would add another tumblr-esque app to the mix?
    09-25-13 12:22 PM
    Agreed. The community is reeling but there's no need to insult one another.
    Exactly, if you wanna refute my comment you're more than welcome to, but to use insults because you lack the education to debate is elementary. Sigh* immaturity and ignorance is a plauge.

09-25-13 12:23 PM
    I can't fault anything the article said. I still find it ridiculous that there are no banking apps for my banks on BB10.
    we are working on making the best app for BB10 that we can. Coming Soon.

There are a few, but you are right - not enough.
    09-25-13 12:24 PM
364 ... 34567 ...