12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 23456 ...
tools
    What's BB suppose to do? Many of the banks and apps on other platforms that I contact, send back the very same response - nothing for BB in the works, in the meantime "use the browser"!

They say, sell the devices, get popular, we'll build the apps, BS, bring the apps, the devices WILL sell and that, dear devs avoiding BB, is fact because if droid and apple and BB all had the same apps, BB would indeed be a much larger contender out there today!

There is nothing to be done now. That ship is off so far into the horizon that it will dip out of sight in three nanoseconds.

What *should* have been done, at *two* critical points in time, was to stop the attitudes that sank the platform. Apps *DO* matter.

The hue and cry here against Instagram was of epic proportions. Who needs that....it's all duckface selfies....all pictures of food....now look how many people sideload it. AND, how those platforms that are thriving, are those who offer it.

No, it's not just one app, it's not just the "use the browser, tools not toys" arguments. In the aggregate, those who did not wish to push the platform into what the consumer wants, are the ones who are most responsible for its current situation. The consumer speaks with his/her wallet. And what they said has been heard, loudly and clearly. Only the selectively and willfullly deaf and blind ignore it, at BlackBerry's peril.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 09-25-13 at 12:00 PM.
    kbz1960, BB10QNX, Bsbudd and 11 others like this.
    09-25-13 10:55 AM
    You need to take a deep breath and get your parameters straight. This wasn't a report on CNN on cable TV. This was an article on the CNNMoney website. It's co-owned and run by CNN, Fortune magazine, and Money magazine. Completely different thing.
    LOL
    09-25-13 10:56 AM
    Hello:

Lack of apps is the reason I left BlackBerry behind going on two years now.

I loved my BB 9700 but the lack of apps finally made me jump ship & choose android.

My contract on my android is up in a couple of months & I'd go right back to BB without hesitation if knew this buyout wasn't going to sink the company & they put people in charge of growing apps world with top notch apps & not junk.

They have to have top notch quality apps to appeal to their current consumer base unless they just want most of them to finally get fed up to the point they feel they must jump ship.

I for one miss my blackberry.

Spring
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 10:59 AM
    I cannot even sideload my banking app because it contains Google Maps for the section "Locate Us" so the whole app doesn't work at all instead of just that section. Can you believe that BS?
    Well ... it only crashes because it actually calls the Google Maps API. My Bank has an Android app that works on my Z10. I just can't press "Locate us" :-)
    09-25-13 10:59 AM
    CNN really should be spending more time trying to figure out "What killed CNN" lol - They haven't been relevant in a decade.
    Exactly like Blackberry
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    09-25-13 11:01 AM
    Spoke to my bank this morning, asked about the possibility of a Native BB10 app, and what did they say?
    "We've no desire to support another mobile OS, we have an app on Android and iOS. That's the extent of our support."
    My company has banking relationships with 4 different institutions and a brokerage house and none of them have BB10 apps - not that we would use them corporately. But, as a consumer, I can park my money anywhere. I do have a sideloaded app that works just fine for my retail banker.
    09-25-13 11:01 AM
    Spoke to my bank this morning, asked about the possibility of a Native BB10 app, and what did they say?
    "We've no desire to support another mobile OS, we have an app on Android and iOS. That's the extent of our support."
    At least my bank (BMO) did say they were planning an app for later this year -- all the other major Canadian banks already have one.

wrt the article's "Smaller developers don't want to invest in BlackBerry, because it it's hard for consumers to stumble upon their apps in a diluted pool." -- I think the situation must be even worse for smaller developers on iOS and Android.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    09-25-13 11:02 AM
    There is nothing to be done now. That ship is off so far into the horizon that it will dip out of sight in three nanoseconds.

What *should* have been done, at *two* critical points in time, was to stop the attitudes that sank the platform. Apps *DO* matter.

The hue and cry here against Instagram was of epic proportions. Who needs that....it's all duckface selfies....all pictures of food....now look how many people sideload it. AND, how those platforms that are thriving, are those who offer it.

No, it's not just one app, it's not just the "use the browser, tools not toys" arguments. In the aggregate, those who did not wish to push the platform into what the consumer wants, are the ones who are most responsible for its current situation. The consumer speaks with his/her wallet. And what they said has been heard, loudly and clearly. Only the deaf and blind ignore it, at BlackBerry's peril.
    Saw this article this morning.

So much for duck face and food pics

Study: Almost quarter of Fortune 500 is active on Instagram - CNET Mobile
    xandermac likes this.
    09-25-13 11:03 AM
    You may not like it but they are right.

Go to BBWorld and search for "tumblr". See the endless list of **** app (yes **** because they look like there were just generated from a template).

As a developer I could write one, a good one but why bother. it would just get swallowed in all the crap.
    torpesco likes this.
    09-25-13 11:05 AM
    I will get blasted by the "tools not toys" peeps but the lack of apps is the very reason I'm getting an HTC One in a few days. Am I getting rid of my Z10? Heck no! When I need a communion device there's no better, but sometimes I wanna do other things.

And yes I have side loaded but they aren't the same at all!

Z10
    When I want a communion device, I just go to church... lol
    Fret Madden and bpmg4u like this.
    09-25-13 11:06 AM

Yup....I haven't got one single food pic. Selfies....yup, especially after I chopped off ALL THAT ANNOYING HAIR. Also have a pic of my nails super short. Other than that, it's pictures of things that are important to me - my animals, the areas around me, CLOUDS....I love clouds.....sue me....

And not one single duckface in the lot....

Instagram is what each person makes it. If all your friends do is post duckface selfies and food pictures, what does that say about the friends you have chosen to make?
    09-25-13 11:09 AM
    You may not like it but they are right.

Go to BBWorld and search for "tumblr". See the endless list of **** app (yes **** because they look like there were just generated from a template).

As a developer I could write one, a good one but why bother. it would just get swallowed in all the crap.
    Actually the good apps rise to the top, and if you post it here on cb, believe me it will get a lot of attention

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    09-25-13 11:12 AM

Well it's a good way to spread the business. There's millions of users on IG it makes sense to make a page for your company, a lot of exposure.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    h20work likes this.
    09-25-13 11:13 AM
    Developers also need a LOT more APIs and pre-built components.
    This point needs emphasis! The early Android and iOS releases were limited, and we all know Xcode has its up and down days, as does Eclipse. But the point is that right now in 2013 the APIs on iOS and Android are years ahead of BB10. There's a lot of work to be done on this still. The new BlackBerry needs to hire some great talent to make this happen.

I'm sorry to say that having been to a BBJam, and having talked at length to some of their lead API engineers, they are not at the same level as the men and women on the Android and iOS teams. It's not even close right now, and I think this has to be a major point of emphasis in the re-org.

I think you make an excellent point that this is the perfect time to rethink their strategy there.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-25-13 at 01:49 PM.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    09-25-13 11:14 AM
    Applications basically make the product. When you see ipad adverts, you see them highlighting an app. Google does a great job of highlighting services (apps) . The google maps 3d ad was brilliant. The whole tools, not toys campaign was stupid. Especially when your competitors are marketing the fact that they can be both.
    09-25-13 11:17 AM
    Exactly. Imagine if they do this right. Instead of wading through a street bazaar looking for a "Rollex" in Google Play, the user could search Tumblr on the BB store and see 2-3 awesome apps and buy them. I think developers would be excited if BlackBerry was bold enough to do this.
    It is funny that people here say that Blackberry is for business and yet there is not a single business app available
    Bloomberg is...and it works well.
    Bloomberg is...and it works well.
    Yeah i was surprised Bloomberg made an app, but I'm sure they recognize BlackBerry is still used by a lot of business professionals. It's a very well made native app, cascades is amazing, every app should use cascades in my opinion. Props and thanks to Bloomberg.

09-25-13 11:23 AM
    Why not tell them you will find a bank that does and follow up on it. If my bank didn't make it convenient for me or offer the services I need then I wouldn't use them.
    09-25-13 11:23 AM
    I generally agree with the article, and a few months ago, started a thread after I went into my local Verizon store and had someone remark, "It's a shame" because the phone (Z10) and OS are great, but people are quickly returning them when they find that their favorite apps are not available on the ecosystem.

Thanks to Apple's marketing machine, people now have just come to expect that their favorite apps are always available. Marketing has made us feel that apps are an essential part of our lives. Sadly, from early reports and conversations with folks at Verizon and AT&T, it actually seems that several people were looking forward to coming back to BB - only to retreat after finding out that the phone had limited functionality because of a severely limited app selection. I am one who believes that the lack of apps really and truly killed the launch of BB10.

Looking forward, I worry about the future of apps on Blackberry. There is a lot of uncertainty about the Fairfax deal, but you can read between the lines and see that BlackBerry seems to be abandoning the consumer market and focusing on enterprise and "prosumers." That means that popular consumer apps like Instagram, Netflix, and some of the others mentioned in this article, are essentially off the table for BB. Plenty of people will say, "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT! STOP TROLLING!" but for anyone who knows a thing or two about how buyouts work, and can read between the lines on press releases, the writing is on the wall: BlackBerry is done with the consumer market. In that case, what incentive do Instagram, Vine, NetFlix, etc. have to develop for the platform? None.

Plenty of people laughed at me for literally needing Instagram for work - "its not necessary, who cares, people don't NEED instagram," etc. I work in marketing and PR and manage social media for almost all of my clients. Instagram is one of the "big three" social media apps now, and I am growing tired of finnicky side loads and versions that don't work with software updates. There is only so much longer that I can play this game, as it literally affects my ability to earn a living.

The CB community can be big on "tools vs. toys" but the reality is that for many of us - as the business world has evolved and left BlackBerry behind - the line between tools and toys, personal and professional, has blurred significantly. For people like me, Blackberry is quite frankly dead. The question is how much longer I can deal with this before having to buy an iPhone or Android product out of contract.
    09-25-13 11:24 AM
    Too be fair, Instagram said they were releasing a native app, so did flipboard.

09-25-13 11:28 AM
    Spot on. And bold move is what's needed. Clearing up the S4BB trash embarrassment would be a good show of seriousness.
    It would be a simple thing to implement a policy that if an app doesn't meet a threshold of downloads then after one year it drops out of the store. I bet they could using a ridiculously low threshold like 50-100 and still get rid of a lot of garbage apps
    09-25-13 11:30 AM
    Too be fair, Instagram said they were releasing a native app, so did flipboard.

To my knowledge, Instagram NEVER confirmed that they were developing natively for BB10. The BB team did a nice job of trying to make everyone believe that it would definitely be on the platform - even so far as using the icon in marketing materials - but we see how that turned out.

Playbook launch, revisited.
    harlemsfinest27 and mikeo007 like this.
    09-25-13 11:32 AM
    To my knowledge, Instagram NEVER confirmed that they were developing natively for BB10. The BB team did a nice job of trying to make everyone believe that it would definitely be on the platform - even so far as using the icon in marketing materials - but we see how that turned out.

Playbook launch, revisited.
    They did say it, officially. The ceo promised it for bb10 and Windows Phone.
    http://rkukmedia.co.uk/2013/07/09/in...-google-glass/

09-25-13 11:35 AM
    The "tools not toys" and the "who needs apps use the browser" brigades can see this week where those strategies, espoused by the coCEOs and often repeated here as a battlecry, have led.
    Awful mantras by the co-CEOs at the time. One that must be worked out daily if BlackBerry hopes to be a phoenix in the tech game.
    09-25-13 11:36 AM
364 ... 23456 ...