12-14-15 12:51 AM
364 12345 ...
tools
    While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?
    Posted via CB10
    Comments like these are great examples of why BB has failed. The plain truth is that people don't want to call, be put on hold, and deal with a person on the other line that clearly does not want to have a conversation except to hurry you through your order.

People want to text. They want to make reservations via OpenTable instead of wasting time calling multiple restaurants. It's that simple. Blackberry did not understand this, probably because their survey groups were 55 year old executives who enjoy a nice Tom Collins in the evening and have their secretary do this type of work.

The mobile world has moved on, like it or not, and BB stayed behind too long.
    09-25-13 09:13 AM
    They almost need a total reboot of their development strategy, but going corporate only could be the perfect time to do this. Assuming of course that they decide to keep some part of the handset business. Purge the app store of all the junk. Anything below a certain threshold gets canned. That's a good start.
    Agree 100%
    (BTW: Nice apps! From a quick glance at your work I'd say you're def. in the top 10% in BBs AppStore... How have sales been, if I may ask?)

Their biggest problem was that they bought into the numbers-myth... The more apps the better.
    (It's quite the irony that this myth is so frowned on and ridiculed among the BBRY faithful, while the company itself jumped aboard wholeheartedly.)

Don't get me wrong, it is important to have many apps.
    (One of the reasons I originally returned my Playbook was the lack of apps. Couldn't even find a podcast app in the ten days I had it.)

But it's just as important that its quality apps.

Blackberry on the other hand chose not to give a damn about quality in order to boost numbers, with policies as pretty much letting any app on, and giving out free Playbooks to developers, no matter how awful the "city guide" sham app they uploaded to the store.

(Developing a quality app easily costs 5000-10000$... A good developer can charge a hundred dollar an hour or more in some markets. Do you REALLY think they'll want to spend much time or effort on an app to get a 300-400$ tablet?!? You get the beginners, the greedy/scammers and the bottom of the barrel that way...)

Blackberry have known for a long time, that the vast majority of apps in the store are copies and utter sh*te.
    (As if they didn't know that one developer makes 40% of the apps, right!)
    And they choose to not just ignore it, but actively encourage it so they can get a benchmark to the press and announce that they have over 100.000 apps.

Don't look for their developer relations people to change things either, they're probably quite happy that they can look forward to easily attainable bonuses for attracting X number of "apps"...

The Android player is a seperate issue, but just as much of a problem. First of all it discourages development of native apps, and secondly it potentially poisons user relations with the BB10 platform in the long run. Why? The more Android apps a Blackberry owner uses, the less likely he is to stay with the ecosystem. A Z10 user that already uses Android apps 80-90% of the time he uses an app, doesn't really have much of a reason to stay with BB10. Why not just get a full on Android phone when his contract is up?
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    09-25-13 09:13 AM
    I can't fault anything the article said. I still find it ridiculous that there are no banking apps for my banks on BB10.
    Not likely to be either.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:15 AM
    I see Canadian banking apps. Wonder which ones are you looking for.

And I don't see the balance in that piece. They're right in saying App World isn't very well curated, but then so is Google Play. Look at all the knock off BBMs out there. Someone even register themselves as BlackBerry, Inc.

It might be convenient, or even true to put the blame for lack of good apps on BlackBerry (or Windows Phone) for that matter, but has anyone come up with a good way to convince these developers to even consider a 3rd platform?
    09-25-13 09:19 AM
    Candy Crush is the devils spawn BUT it's what consumers want. You know, those dirty little people with money.
    It's what is popular, it's what people want.
    09-25-13 09:19 AM
    I cannot even sideload my banking app because it contains Google Maps for the section "Locate Us" so the whole app doesn't work at all instead of just that section. Can you believe that BS?
    Can't sideload my banking app for the same reason.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:20 AM
    The market doesn't know Blackberry! Why should Blackberry know the market. it offers a superior UI that doesn't need apps. Blackberry is a "tool"

With Fairfax on board Blackberry shall rise again and people will slowly realize how the iPhone and Android phones are consuming their lives with selfies and banking and Outback and other apps.

*cough*sarcasm*cough*

True, but Siri is not the end of the story, I use Siri to launch everything from phone to calendar to apps such as the example I provided with Outback. While some will consider a restaurant app irrelevant, I use it when, halfway home, I find that I HAVE TO HAVE A BLOOMING ONION!!!!!! And a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. Is it important to most people? Nope. Is it important to me???? On those days, HECK YES.

And that's the issue. People decide individually what is important for each. Example....I could not care less about the MLB app. But some LOVE IT. Who am I to discount what they like? Similarly, as a consumer, I want to find what I want to find and I get what I want. I use the products that best suit what I want. And, as a consumer, I am not that special. That Apple just sold 9 million devices over the course of three days would point to the fact that they've got something that consumers want. For all the derision heaped upon the iPhone here, Apple knows the market. Would that the same could be said for BlackBerry.
    09-25-13 09:20 AM
    And yet no one seems to want to take the App Developers team to task. Why is no one calling for Alec Saunders to resign? In my opinion he can sing as many bad songs as he likes, but the buck has to stop somewhere around his head for the crap app situation too.
    Spoke with Alec on BBM last week, he seems to think there's nothing wrong with current app situation.
    I explained that if you only gave Devs one option then they'd take that. Instead you have several runtime's plus Native apps.
    I asked that we get rid of the options (especially Android) and only allow Native apps.
    Alec felt allowing Android apps was a good way to introduce Devs to BB10.

It isn't.
    KOOLWATER and kevinnugent like this.
    09-25-13 09:27 AM
    And yet no one seems to want to take the App Developers team to task. Why is no one calling for Alec Saunders to resign? In my opinion he can sing as many bad songs as he likes, but the buck has to stop somewhere around his head for the crap app situation too.
    Alec wasn't even at the launch. I couldn't believe that. The only reason I tend to not be too critical on his team is because there is only so much they can do. It is a team, as an entire company, job. Although Alec may be trying to get deva to come on board if the sales, marketing and pr teams do poor jobs that severely limits Alec's team.

It is a vicious circle and Alec seemed to be very knowledgeable during the interviews I watch during all the Playbook jams and dev sessions. I'm not making any excuses at all, but the reality is that not many people are going to dev just for BB10 at the current state, especially with the state of the company itself... and if they don't want to dev for bb10 they usually put out a quick port and it is either decent or subpar.

That being said. I have every single app I ever used on my iPhone. I have dropbox, with much better integration, Evernote, news republic and a couple others. I'm a light app user and most of my phone use had always been browser based, even with iPhone. and for bb10 it is a much better fit for me personally. But I know a lot of others are the exact opposite

Posted via CB10
    undone and Toodeurep like this.
    09-25-13 09:29 AM
    Yes, yesterday as a matter of fact. Why I'll never ditch my BlackBerry - CNN.com

The there was this, also from yesterday: BlackBerry: Why breaking up is hard to do News Stream - CNN.com Blogs
    I'm starting to think people ignore the good news / positive articles just so they can complain that the media is biased.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    09-25-13 09:31 AM
    While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?

Posted via CB10
    Because it's faster and more convenient to use an app to accomplish in less than 30 seconds what I choose to accomplish in less than 30 seconds. It is more convenient for me therefore I want that option. Apple is giving me the option to do what I choose to do. I could also use the iPhone to call, but it is more convenient for me to use the app.

I speak to people who are meaningful to me. A hostess taking my order over the phone at Outback is not meaningful to me, I don't know her, I have no connection to her.

This "app fixation" is a choice for convenience. It is my choice to use it or not. I can grab my Z and call, but my preference is to punch three buttons and get it done, receipt and all.
    harlemsfinest27 and 21stNow like this.
    09-25-13 09:32 AM
    Isnt that the real problem? the whole attitude of apps has changed, and if people want something then they want it.

Saying candy crush isn't a big name app (their post wasn't talking about if its nessecarily good) is just silly. it has over 100 MILLION downloads on Google Play and has over 1.6 MILLION 5 star reviews.

Just think about those numbers. Its had more downloads than there are active BlackBerry subs (and those are only google play figures). If your trying to tell me that doesn't classify as a big name app, then im not quite sure what does.
    I know what you mean, i never said it wasn't a big named app, but I doubt people wouldn't switch to BlackBerry if it had every single app needed except for candy crush. I can't believe how a game on a phone has gained so much importance, smh. If we had candy crush do you think people would switch and forgive that we don't have instagram? And other banking apps? I doubt it.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-25-13 09:32 AM
    I'm starting to think people ignore the good news / positive articles just so they can complain that the media is biased.
    Exactly.

Someone (can't remember who) actually went and showed reasonable proof that BBRY receives nowhere near the bad press per capita than the Two Big Boys do.

It's a victim complex, maybe?
    h20work and The Gift like this.
    09-25-13 09:35 AM
    They almost need a total reboot of their development strategy, but going corporate only could be the perfect time to do this. Assuming of course that they decide to keep some part of the handset business. Purge the app store of all the junk. Anything below a certain threshold gets canned. That's a good start.

From there, they need to stop breaking promises to developers. Promises like "any app developed for OS 10.0 will be compatible with all future OS 10 versions" were destroyed the instant 10.1 was released. Then again the instant 10.2 went gold.

Next, they need to completely re-tool the existing APIs and their design language. Blackberry 5-6-7 felt more together than 10 currently does. Apps were all over the board, yet they at least had some consistency. Even the native apps in BB10 lack consistency. They sometimes even break their own guidelines!

Developers also need a LOT more APIs and pre-built components. If you want me to port an iOS or Android app and make it BB10 native, then you have to at least match the basic components. I don't want to have to build my own components for something as basic as a horizontal scrolling container. And don't even get me started on the half-hearted attempt at headless apps. Either do it, or don't. Don't toss something out there that is garbage just to say you now support headless apps.

Provide me with tools that don't suck. Their modified version of Eclipse crashes multiple times during every session that I use it. I don't even dare use the QML previews either, lest I suffer numerous crashes. Webworks and BBUI, their supposed "crown jewels" (remember the bragging about the browser that was 'built' with HTML5) are an absolute mess right now. Cross platform development be damned. It's either cascades or nothing at this point.

TLDR: Blackberry needs ANOTHER total reboot of their entire app ecosystem. And it needs to be done right this time.
    I'd sooner develop for Android than BlackBerry. The whole BlackBerry dev team are clueless and useless.
    09-25-13 09:36 AM
    I see Canadian banking apps. Wonder which ones are you looking for.

And I don't see the balance in that piece. They're right in saying App World isn't very well curated, but then so is Google Play. Look at all the knock off BBMs out there. Someone even register themselves as BlackBerry, Inc.

It might be convenient, or even true to put the blame for lack of good apps on BlackBerry (or Windows Phone) for that matter, but has anyone come up with a good way to convince these developers to even consider a 3rd platform?
    Bank of America
    BB&T
    Wells Fargo
    Navy Federal Credit Union
    GEICO
    harlemsfinest27 and Etios like this.
    09-25-13 09:37 AM
    True, but Siri is not the end of the story, I use Siri to launch everything from phone to calendar to apps such as the example I provided with Outback. While some will consider a restaurant app irrelevant, I use it when, halfway home, I find that I HAVE TO HAVE A BLOOMING ONION!!!!!! And a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. Is it important to most people? Nope. Is it important to me???? On those days, HECK YES.

And that's the issue. People decide individually what is important for each. Example....I could not care less about the MLB app. But some LOVE IT. Who am I to discount what they like? Similarly, as a consumer, I want to find what I want to find and I get what I want. I use the products that best suit what I want. And, as a consumer, I am not that special. That Apple just sold 9 million devices over the course of three days would point to the fact that they've got something that consumers want. For all the derision heaped upon the iPhone here, Apple knows the market. Would that the same could be said for BlackBerry.
    Chocolate thunder from down under? LMAO, sounds epic .
    I know what you mean, if we had all the apps it would be easier to cater to everyone and keep customers satisfied, instead of leaving people missing some vital apps and having to conform to crappy third party and sideloads, which don't all work 100%. Apps really do play a Huge role in a phones success.

09-25-13 09:37 AM
    Exactly.

Someone (can't remember who) actually went and showed reasonable proof that BBRY receives nowhere near the bad press per capita than the Two Big Boys do.

It's a victim complex, maybe?
    This was posted here yesterday. Got 3 replies...

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-press-853609/
    09-25-13 09:39 AM
    As much as it sucks to hear, this article is spot on. Couldn't have said it better.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:39 AM
    What's BB suppose to do? Many of the banks and apps on other platforms that I contact, send back the very same response - nothing for BB in the works, in the meantime "use the browser"!

They say, sell the devices, get popular, we'll build the apps, BS, bring the apps, the devices WILL sell and that, dear devs avoiding BB, is fact because if droid and apple and BB all had the same apps, BB would indeed be a much larger contender out there today!

The "tools not toys" and the "who needs apps use the browser" brigades can see this week where those strategies, espoused by the coCEOs and often repeated here as a battlecry, have led.
    09-25-13 09:42 AM
    Regular consumers outweigh the "business professional" crowds.

09-25-13 09:43 AM
    Honestly, told say the fb and twitter apps are rarely updated, that's kind of misinformation

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg, DJM626 and southlander like this.
    09-25-13 09:45 AM
    What's BB suppose to do? Many of the banks and apps on other platforms that I contact, send back the very same response - nothing for BB in the works, in the meantime "use the browser"!

They say, sell the devices, get popular, we'll build the apps, BS, bring the apps, the devices WILL sell and that, dear devs avoiding BB, is fact because if droid and apple and BB all had the same apps, BB would indeed be a much larger contender out there today!
    Spoke to my bank this morning, asked about the possibility of a Native BB10 app, and what did they say?
    "We've no desire to support another mobile OS, we have an app on Android and iOS. That's the extent of our support."
    09-25-13 09:46 AM
    Chocolate thunder from down under? LMAO, sounds epic .

It makes my toes curl.

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    angieberry10 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:47 AM
    It makes my toes curl.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/25/ynaqybe5.jpg

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    Whoa :O
    I can see why you need a Siri like app

09-25-13 09:53 AM
    Spot on. And bold move is what's needed. Clearing up the S4BB trash embarassment would be a good show of seriousness.
    09-25-13 09:54 AM
364 12345 ...