12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 1234 ...
tools
    Only app I used (and wasnt on BB10) on my Storm2 and 9930 was Bloomberg. Simple stock quoter, great app on BBOS. Anyway, once the Bloomberg app finally hit BB10, I was happy as pie. Ok, sure who cares about one app that you may or may not use, I get that, but the story doesnt end. So I am fiddling with my phone at lunch with some work friends. One of the guys is a rather smart scientist type and wanted to check out my Bloomberg app. 20 minutes later he chimes 'Let me know if you see the BB devices cheap, that Bloomberg app is so much better then the one I have on Android'

Now I have no clue if the Bloomberg app is native, don't really care, but the truth is, if BB gets enough run room, finally figures out how to get devices in peoples hands (Z10-just give them away at this point to your enterprise customers, they will force people to use them) I think this app thing will fix itself.
    09-25-13 09:13 AM
    CNN really should be spending more time trying to figure out "What killed CNN" lol - They haven't been relevant in a decade.
    What? Its broadcasted in over 212 countries. Every time I go to an airport (even in the middle east), all I see is CNN.
    09-25-13 09:13 AM
    So if they are porting garbage android apps to BlackBerry then there must be garbage android apps as well. What about the fact that 2/3 of ios apps are never downloaded?

My biggest problem is I have too many apps I don't use. I test them and forget about them because I've found better ones.

Posted via CB10
    Here is the thing....whenever you hear an advert, whenever you read an article for a magazine, whenever you see a service with an app, it's for Android and iPhone. I don't care what else is in the store. I want to have my banking apps, my insurance apps, my social apps....even my dog training and church calendar/choir practice apps. Heck I even want to order Outback off my favourites list 45 minutes away from the restaurant (launch Siri, say Outack, hit favourites, order, from my phone, and pick it up curbside. Guess where I can find those and were I can't? One guess.

I want things that give me convenience. My life is complicated enough already.
    09-25-13 09:14 AM
    If that is true about the one developer with 48k apps in bb world representing 40% of the total of all apps, most of them useless filler, the BlackBerry team responsible for attracting app development and the app store, should all be let go.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:15 AM
    What? Its broadcasted in over 212 countries. Every time I go to an airport (even in the middle east), all I see is CNN.
    CNN International is one of the most widely respected broadcasters in just about every country I've visited. It's saved my *** on more than one occasion being the only English speaking broadcaster on the TV!
    distributor1 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:15 AM
    All we have here is cinema apps on bb10. yeah... thanks.... if i wanted to go to the movies......I'd rather have my banking app as the Android version can access your bank account by simply entering a 4 number PIN. In the browser version, I have to type in my bank ID and password which is time consuming.
    09-25-13 09:16 AM
    So if they are porting garbage android apps to BlackBerry then there must be garbage android apps as well. What about the fact that 2/3 of ios apps are never downloaded?

My biggest problem is I have too many apps I don't use. I test them and forget about them because I've found better ones.

Posted via CB10
    Red herring. Not all crapfests are equal if the apps I need are in one of those crapfests. All app stores have fluff, but consumers are willing to use stores that have useful apps.

Funny thing is is that judging by the screenshot thread, I have fewer onboard apps on my EVOLTE than most BB10 users do on their devices.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-25-13 at 09:35 AM.
    09-25-13 09:17 AM
    If that is true about the one developer with 48k apps in bb world representing 40% of the total of all apps, most of them useless filler, the BlackBerry team responsible for attracting app development and the app store, should all be let go.

Posted via CB10
    It's true. S4BB. Look them up. Rubbish mostly.
    09-25-13 09:17 AM
    I still think it is not too late for BlackBerry to fix this by striving for quality over quantity in their store. Good developers want a place to be found. Give it to them by moving all the ebooks and 5 minute ports to an "other" section or off the store completely.

It would be a bold move, but while they are making other changes, why not try it?
    Makes complete sense. The whole numbers thing was silly to begin with.
    09-25-13 09:19 AM
    Have you ever read once anything positive on blackberry at Cnn?

Sent from Tapatalk using BlackBerry Z10
    CNN-nothing new..
    09-25-13 09:21 AM
    Love how they have changed their tuned. Used to be the phones are terrible and too late, now it's just app problem. So I guess they spent more time using the new phones and realize how good it is. Just have app issues, which should get better with the 10.2 update. CNN always been BlackBerry haters, always. they love iPhone more than BGR, that says a lot. Notice how they always turn to using BlackBerry phones during stories and disasters.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:24 AM
    Here is the thing....whenever you hear an advert, whenever you read an article for a magazine, whenever you see a service with an app, it's for Android and iPhone. I don't care what else is in the store. I want to have my banking apps, my insurance apps, my social apps....even my dog training and church calendar/choir practice apps. Heck I even want to order Outback off my favourites list 45 minutes away from the restaurant (launch Siri, say Outack, hit favourites, order, from my phone, and pick it up curbside. Guess where I can find those and were I can't? One guess.

I want things that give me convenience. My life is complicated enough already.
    Well SayIt is not half bad for a Siria replacement. Updates have brought some more functionality.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-25-13 09:24 AM
    This totally baffles me. BB's are hailed as a devices that people use to "get things done" and banking is one of the most important things that anyone in the business or consumer side deem important.
    The problem is the enterprise users are leaving Blackberry in huge numbers as well - so the banks are catering to where the demand is and where is moving towards.

Blackberry is no longer a leader in providing productivity to mobile users - and that's because of the lack of apps (and I'm not talking games or frivolous apps - I'm talking apps that offer real productivity). The whole mantra of "getting things done" no longer applies to Blackberry.
    rnhld, Drew808, xandermac and 3 others like this.
    09-25-13 09:26 AM
    Well SayIt is not half bad for a Siria replacement. Updates have brought some more functionality.

True, but Siri is not the end of the story, I use Siri to launch everything from phone to calendar to apps such as the example I provided with Outback. While some will consider a restaurant app irrelevant, I use it when, halfway home, I find that I HAVE TO HAVE A BLOOMING ONION!!!!!! And a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. Is it important to most people? Nope. Is it important to me???? On those days, HECK YES.

And that's the issue. People decide individually what is important for each. Example....I could not care less about the MLB app. But some LOVE IT. Who am I to discount what they like? Similarly, as a consumer, I want to find what I want to find and I get what I want. I use the products that best suit what I want. And, as a consumer, I am not that special. That Apple just sold 9 million devices over the course of three days would point to the fact that they've got something that consumers want. For all the derision heaped upon the iPhone here, Apple knows the market. Would that the same could be said for BlackBerry.
    09-25-13 09:29 AM
    Just have app issues, which should get better with the 10.2 update.
    No, it won't. If you're talking about being able to sideload more apps, that's not a solution, unless perhaps you're a tech head looking for a reason not to leave the platform. You really have to stop hanging around with Dave B.
    09-25-13 09:31 AM
    There's a lot of garbage apps I agree, but to say there aren't any good apps at all is malarkey. Many bad reviews come from user error, heck the fb app on IOS has 3 and half stars. The store has plenty of good apps to keep people entertained and somewhat productive. Banking apps are missing which is crucial for many people, instagram etc...but to mention candy crush among them? Are you serious?

Candy Crush is more popular than Facebook in the App Store, and has been for quite a while.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:32 AM
    I still think it is not too late for BlackBerry to fix this by striving for quality over quantity in their store. Good developers want a place to be found. Give it to them by moving all the ebooks and 5 minute ports to an "other" section or off the store completely.

It would be a bold move, but while they are making other changes, why not try it?
    They almost need a total reboot of their development strategy, but going corporate only could be the perfect time to do this. Assuming of course that they decide to keep some part of the handset business. Purge the app store of all the junk. Anything below a certain threshold gets canned. That's a good start.

From there, they need to stop breaking promises to developers. Promises like "any app developed for OS 10.0 will be compatible with all future OS 10 versions" were destroyed the instant 10.1 was released. Then again the instant 10.2 went gold.

Next, they need to completely re-tool the existing APIs and their design language. Blackberry 5-6-7 felt more together than 10 currently does. Apps were all over the board, yet they at least had some consistency. Even the native apps in BB10 lack consistency. They sometimes even break their own guidelines!

Developers also need a LOT more APIs and pre-built components. If you want me to port an iOS or Android app and make it BB10 native, then you have to at least match the basic components. I don't want to have to build my own components for something as basic as a horizontal scrolling container. And don't even get me started on the half-hearted attempt at headless apps. Either do it, or don't. Don't toss something out there that is garbage just to say you now support headless apps.

Provide me with tools that don't suck. Their modified version of Eclipse crashes multiple times during every session that I use it. I don't even dare use the QML previews either, lest I suffer numerous crashes. Webworks and BBUI, their supposed "crown jewels" (remember the bragging about the browser that was 'built' with HTML5) are an absolute mess right now. Cross platform development be damned. It's either cascades or nothing at this point.

TLDR: Blackberry needs ANOTHER total reboot of their entire app ecosystem. And it needs to be done right this time.
    09-25-13 09:39 AM
    Banking apps are missing which is crucial for many people, instagram etc...but to mention candy crush among them? Are you serious?
    Isnt that the real problem? the whole attitude of apps has changed, and if people want something then they want it.

Saying candy crush isn't a big name app (their post wasn't talking about if its nessecarily good) is just silly. it has over 100 MILLION downloads on Google Play and has over 1.6 MILLION 5 star reviews.

Just think about those numbers. Its had more downloads than there are active BlackBerry subs (and those are only google play figures). If your trying to tell me that doesn't classify as a big name app, then im not quite sure what does.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    09-25-13 09:48 AM
    sadly, i have to agree that a lack of apps is hurting BB more than anything right now. even my wife, a loyal BB user since the pearl, mentioned that she'd like to go android next time just to get the apps her sisters always rave about. once i sideloaded candy crush, she did stop bringing it up as much, thank goodness.
    09-25-13 09:50 AM
    True, but Siri is not the end of the story, I use Siri to launch everything from phone to calendar to apps such as the example I provided with Outback. While some will consider a restaurant app irrelevant, I use it when, halfway home, I find that I HAVE TO HAVE A BLOOMING ONION!!!!!! And a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under. Is it important to most people? Nope. Is it important to me???? On those days, HECK YES.

And that's the issue. People decide individually what is important for each. Example....I could not care less about the MLB app. But some LOVE IT. Who am I to discount what they like? Similarly, as a consumer, I want to find what I want to find and I get what I want. I use the products that best suit what I want. And, as a consumer, I am not that special. That Apple just sold 9 million devices over the course of three days would point to the fact that they've got something that consumers want. For all the derision heaped upon the iPhone here, Apple knows the market. Would that the same could be said for BlackBerry.
    While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:57 AM
    Have you ever read once anything positive on blackberry at Cnn?
    Yes, yesterday as a matter of fact. Why I'll never ditch my BlackBerry - CNN.com

The there was this, also from yesterday: BlackBerry: Why breaking up is hard to do – News Stream - CNN.com Blogs
    harlemsfinest27 and h20work like this.
    You are correct Sir - They do hold the airports captive, and are broadcast worldwide. But, they are dead last in the States. They can't even when the ratings battle in their home city - the ATL.

And yes, regarding the other poster on the "messenger". The article was correct and spot on. But, in the ever critical U S market it won't influence any "potential" users because their market share, like BB, is so small.
    BBRY was in a tough sport for sure when the "committee" tells you conserve cash, conserve cash. The jig is up sooner or later.

I wonder if they could have leveraged something -- the NOC, BBM -- to offer some sort of competitive advantage to some titles...

I still think the fundamental problem with the apps was that the platform was not ready -- and still in some respect is not -- so it never had a serious chance to attract the necessary titles in advance.
    09-25-13 10:03 AM
    While I agree to an extent with your argument, why wouldn't you use your phone as a phone and simply call Outback and make your order? This app fixation shows again how Apple, and now all other device systems, are defining peoples' behaviours. Phone use on phones seems to be down but app use is up. What about speaking to people now and then?

Posted via CB10
    I remember way back when, I tried to call Applebee's to get a pick up order. Couldn't get through.

My local Qdoba encourages people to use the app... it automates the service, and allows for more employees to serve, not in the back answering calls.

But the biggest impact is the fact that there are options for people. You don't have to use the app, but it's there if you do. I can arrange a catering order while my baby naps in my arms.

Options, options, options!
    09-25-13 10:05 AM
    You are correct Sir - They do hold the airports captive, and are broadcast worldwide. But, they are dead last in the States. They can't even when the ratings battle in their home city - the ATL.

And yes, regarding the other poster on the "messenger". The article was correct and spot on. But, in the ever critical U S market it won't influence any "potential" users because their market share, like BB, is so small.
    You need to take a deep breath and get your parameters straight. This wasn't a report on CNN on cable TV. This was an article on the CNNMoney website. It's co-owned and run by CNN, Fortune magazine, and Money magazine. Completely different thing.
    09-25-13 10:12 AM
364 1234 ...