12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    lets compare the amount of crud apps on BB world to the amount on Google play. The BBM fake apps is just one indication that on Gplay there are possibly 5-10 times as many useless apps. I cant count how many wallpaper apps are on Gplay whereas on BBworld there isnt that many. n BBword there are a few dj apps, Gplay, so many that its hard to choose rom and most are just mp3 players with the name DJ on it or they are fan pages to someones poor attempt at music. I bet the CNN (Crappy News Network) reporter never used a BB10 device.
    09-26-13 04:31 PM
    lets compare the amount of crud apps on BB world to the amount on Google play. The BBM fake apps is just one indication that on Gplay there are possibly 5-10 times as many useless apps. I cant count how many wallpaper apps are on Gplay whereas on BBworld there isnt that many. n BBword there are a few dj apps, Gplay, so many that its hard to choose rom and most are just mp3 players with the name DJ on it or they are fan pages to someones poor attempt at music. I bet the CNN (Crappy News Network) reporter never used a BB10 device.
    With all due respect, that correlation simply doesn't work. For better or worse, the app stores are measured by valuable apps FIRST.

If I'm looking for, say, an app to manage my Google Voice simultaneously with my real number. I search Google Play. I get the app I need, with several I don't. I search iTunes Appstore. I find the apps I need, with several I don't.

Then, I search BBW. I find several I don't need.

So, in the end, people will most likely deal with fluff if they can get to what they want. They won't just deal with just fluff.

You can bring up your claims of unfairness to CNN; you'll have to forgive them if they don't take them seriously, IMHO.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-26-13 at 05:34 PM.
    app_Developer, SMocek and 21stNow like this.
    09-26-13 04:52 PM
    I like to point out. Year first device released:

iOS: 2007.
    Android: 2008.
    webOS: 2009.
    WindowsPhone: 2010.
    Blackberry10: 2013.
    09-26-13 04:58 PM
    Except that you are discounting BBOS.

While the BB10 OS is new, if we ignore the PlayBook, which was the first QNX product, the institutional knowledge and resources were there. This is not a brand new product line for BlackBerry. Nor was it for Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    NYC10065, stoneland and 21stNow like this.
    09-26-13 05:28 PM
    Hey the truth hurts and this article is spot on! I love my Blackberry Bold but it is used strickly for calls. The lack of apps is a killer for me. I have Samsung Galaxy S4 for my second phone because I need apps! I have an online store and most of my clients promote my products via Pinterest and Instagram. I have a new product I post a pic on IG and its selling like hot cakes within minutes. I also teach online so I needed my University's app so I can answer student's questions or post grade on the go or in the event of a storm. I'm at a trade show I can hook my PayPal cardreader to my S4 and make sales. I can take a picture of a check and deposit into my BOA account on the spot. I can't do any of that with my Blackberry. I sideloaded some apps to my Playbook but the ones I really need won't work. Playbook could've easy beat the crap outta of the iPad but they failed to put in some quality work on it and it still beats any of the crappy Droid tablets out there. Blackberry just dropped the ball thinking they could still be relevant because of their solid security and government/business backing. The BYOD is killing them too! They failed to change with the market, had they released BB10 three or four years ago, they would still be in the Top 3.
    Last edited by AUgirl_inTX; 09-30-13 at 12:12 PM.
    09-26-13 06:55 PM
    I like to point out. Year first device released:

iOS: 2007.
    Android: 2008.
    webOS: 2009.
    WindowsPhone: 2010.
    Blackberry10: 2013.
    So ignore the fact that BBOS was around well before iOS and Android?
    21stNow likes this.
    09-26-13 07:55 PM
    Fair enough but on Google Play, the high demand apps are all there. The same cannot be said for BB World. So while there is likely a higher number of crappy apps on Google Play just because the total number of apps is that much higher, the ratio of good vs crappy apps is likely better on Google Play than on BB World.
    Roo Zilla and 21stNow like this.
    09-26-13 07:58 PM
    Build the apps and they with come. There's nothing wrong with the phone, in fact it works great and probably better then others. But we need more everyday life apps. How do you attract new users or users to upgrade if the apps aren't there?
    09-26-13 08:15 PM
    Build the apps and they with come. There's nothing wrong with the phone, in fact it works great and probably better then others. But we need more everyday life apps. How do you attract new users or users to upgrade if the apps aren't there?
    Sorry. We're changing course. Prosumers don't want apps. No apps for you.
    09-26-13 08:43 PM
    I can't fault anything the article said. I still find it ridiculous that there are no banking apps for my banks on BB10.
    qbnkelt, I sent you a pm. :-) I have also looked for a banking app! None for my z10.
    09-26-13 08:48 PM
    A lot of apps are missing on BB10 for the same reason they're missing on PBOS: developers don't care about either platform, because BlackBerry doesn't give a damn about them. If you really want your new platform to succeed, you need to throw money at first party developers to get major apps onboard like Netflix, Instagram (yes ), banking apps and enterprise client-server apps. Microsoft realized this and spent loads of money on attracting developers, yet they're still missing a lot of major apps that Android and iOS have.

What the heck did BlackBerry do? Did they just count on small third party developers like this S4BB outfit? I look at my PlayBook and I see one - just one - media player app that can handle DLNA. I don't see a single native app that can work with SMB fileshares, only a handful of Android ports.

Oh, and for those who keep harping on how BB10 is a new OS, it's not. It's an update of the PlayBook OS which came out in 2011. If the PBOS in 2011 was far behind Android and iOS, and it's still an unfinished piece of work in 2013, then it shows just how out of touch BlackBerry really is. This stupid company deserves to fail for ripping off its customers with so many broken promises and outright lies.
    09-26-13 10:13 PM
    This article coming from the same company that has a piece of **** app on the app store? Oh the irony.
    09-26-13 10:26 PM
    This article coming from the same company that has a piece of **** app on the app store? Oh the irony.
    CNN?
    09-26-13 10:33 PM
    Yes...Btw there's a cnn mexico app that's gotten great reviews. Want to know why? It was developed by someone else...

Attachment 205640
    Attachment 205641
    Attached Thumbnails CNN - What killed BlackBerry: Terrible apps-img_00000153.png  
    09-26-13 10:47 PM
    CNN?
    Maybe he's talking about S4BB. They must have a couple dozen news reader apps right?
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    09-26-13 10:47 PM
    Lol @ S4BB for being the gluteus Maximus of all jokes.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    09-26-13 10:57 PM
    H
    Have you ever read once anything positive on blackberry at Cnn?

Sent from Tapatalk using BlackBerry Z10
    Can you have an ad hominem attack against a cable network? Well, in any case what is wrong about the article in you opinion? I think it is spot on. Or perhaps to phrase it differently but keeping with the theme of the article, what do you think killed Blackberry?
    09-26-13 11:13 PM
    What's BB suppose to do? Many of the banks and apps on other platforms that I contact, send back the very same response - nothing for BB in the works, in the meantime "use the browser"!

They say, sell the devices, get popular, we'll build the apps, BS, bring the apps, the devices WILL sell and that, dear devs avoiding BB, is fact because if droid and apple and BB all had the same apps, BB would indeed be a much larger contender out there today!
    What they needed to do was think about that before developing BB10. I'm not sure they can do anything now. They should have built a more secure, better mail client, better UI version based on Android I think.
    09-26-13 11:27 PM
    Maybe change your bank. I use Q10 compatible apps for TD and Scotiabank in Canada, and RBC Mobile for my Caribbean accounts. Bank of America has an app in the US. There are many in the EU and SA also. On the other hand if you are just looking to rant....
    09-26-13 11:32 PM
    Sounds like you have made your decision. Why then are you posting here?
    09-26-13 11:38 PM
    I will get blasted by the "tools not toys" peeps but the lack of apps is the very reason I'm getting an HTC One in a few days. Am I getting rid of my Z10? Heck no! When I need a communion device there's no better, but sometimes I wanna do other things.

And yes I have side loaded but they aren't the same at all!

Z10
    Goodluck with the One. Camera sucks on it though. Low light is great though.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:03 AM
    While I don't agree that they are dead (my phones are still working) I do remember when the devices were first launched that I said they should price them low and go for volume. I was shot down and told that they were premium devices and should be priced similarly to other premium devices. I explained that BlackBerry did not have the draw as other premium devices and I was labelled a troll.

Right.

Posted via CB10
    I argued the same thing. Blackberry was in no position to price these phones so high. I mean cmon, $700 for a device with an infant OS, no apps and last year's specs? Seriously?

The sad truth is, there are many people out there that still want the qwerty. They just don't want to spend $$$ to get one. So much for the cash cow.

Anyways, on a side note I just don't understand how this company continues to shoot themselves in the foot day in and day out. They can't seem to do anything right and their failures almost seem intentional.
    09-27-13 12:23 AM
    Maybe change your bank. I use Q10 compatible apps for TD and Scotiabank in Canada, and RBC Mobile for my Caribbean accounts. Bank of America has an app in the US. There are many in the EU and SA also. On the other hand if you are just looking to rant....
    It's hard to tell if youi are serious. People don't typically change big things about their life without a compelling reason. I don't think there is one to use a BlackBerry for people in general.

Posted via CB10
    stoneland, 21stNow and h20work like this.
    09-27-13 12:33 AM
    Lol I agree with you on that, theres no option yet that filters recent or top stories. If it was in cascades it would've been awesome, but they used some other crap coding. Still not THAT bad.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    I use the mobile site for FB most of the time anyway. Why? Because the BlackBerry browser is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:45 AM
    CNN's headline: "What killed BlackBerry: Terrible apps"

Let's see how their own app did in BlackBerry World, shall we?

2.5 stars

Reviews include:

"Blanket permissions? No. Also made my z10 unable to open apps, settings. Would open but just hang there. I had to restart the phone. Uninstalled. Definitely expected more from CNN."

"The CNN Blackberry 10 app is extremely slow and difficult to use. It doesn't even give us updates in our Blackberry Hub like the other news applications. Fox News is better! "

"Pretty often the app fail to open. When it does is very slow ."

"Really slow. It is more time effective to just use fast z10 browser and go to Cnn mobile site. I do not like this app at all. "

"You HAVE to let this app have full access to your phone, emails, camera, and shared files. You can't even turn it off in security functions. "

I rest my case.
    09-27-13 12:57 AM
364 ... 1011121314 ...