12-14-15 01:51 AM
364 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Consumer shallowness, fickleness, hypercriticism and restless discontentment is a more apt description CNN. Blackberry phones are superb IMO and it's a travesty that our beloved company is "failing" because consumers, according to CNN, have chosen gimmicky and at best modestly useful apps as the defining factor for phone usability! I'm neither in denial nor nave to the facts because clearly the numbers add up and iOS and Android are on top. However, not once has any of their phones or apps enticed me enough to drop my BlackBerry and make the switch. I'm simply fine with being a loyal and content BBRY prosumer and I know I'm not the only one with that sentiment but clearly we're in the minority.
    Last edited by chadnichols; 09-26-13 at 09:37 AM.
    09-26-13 09:03 AM
    Just read the first page but irrespective of how many (or little) of their customers are on any specific platform, banks should have their app on it, it's not upto BlackBerry it should be the banks duty if they want to look after and gain potential clients. For example FNB in South Africa had their app ported before the Z10 was even fully released here.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 09:07 AM
    Better UI elements, connectivity, etc... they can always improve something. That app gets raked over the coals regularly on Android too LOL.

On BBRY, there's such an atmosphere of "let's coddle the developers so they don't get ticked off." I understand it to a degree; folks want developers to stay. But it doesn't help with increasing quality. Why on earth are developers allowed to suppress negative reviews? That is INSANE!

Lol if they used the BlackBerry App they would give it no stars then yep the reviews suck on my nexus 7 hehe.
    I mean I rate it how it is, i don't just give 5 stars because, "constructive criticism" some devs take it the wrong way though. The thing is a lot of the times it's also user error. Take that Netflix app "Flix" for example, people thought it was a legit Netflix app, but turns out you need to have Netflix on your computer and stream it on there so you can see it on the Z. The app was grilled lol it was in the description -.-

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-26-13 09:14 AM
    Just read the first page but irrespective of how many (or little) of their customers are on any specific platform, banks should have their app on it, it's not upto BlackBerry it should be the banks duty if they want to look after and gain potential clients. For example FNB in South Africa had their app ported before the Z10 was even fully released here.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know that I agree. Should a bank fall over itself to make an app for WebOS? There are still customers out there. Perceived ROI plays a part in these decisions. If I had a bank headquartered in South Africa or Waterloo, I'd probably have a BB10 app.

Ultimately, BBRY is responsible for its own ecosystem, too.
    09-26-13 09:15 AM
    So why does IOS fb have 3 and half stars? That's not sub par?

Idk. FB on the z10 was rubbish when it came to updates (newsfeeds). It would go from showing the most recent updates, to showing updates from the previous day.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-26-13 09:36 AM
    Idk. FB on the z10 was rubbish when it came to updates (newsfeeds). It would go from showing the most recent updates, to showing updates from the previous day.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Lol I agree with you on that, theres no option yet that filters recent or top stories. If it was in cascades it would've been awesome, but they used some other crap coding. Still not THAT bad.

09-26-13 09:43 AM
    Was waiting for that.
    And he's right!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 09:59 AM
    True.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:06 AM
    Consumer shallowness, fickleness, hypercriticism and restless discontentment is a more apt description CNN. Blackberry phones are superb IMO and it's a travesty that our beloved company is "failing" because consumers, according to CNN, have chosen gimmicky and at best modestly useful apps as the defining factor for phone usability! I'm neither in denial nor nave to the facts because clearly the numbers add up and iOS and Android are on top. However, not once has any of their phones or apps enticed me enough to drop my BlackBerry and make the switch. I'm simply fine with being a loyal and content BBRY prosumer and I know I'm not the only one with that sentiment but clearly we're in the minority.
    The problem is that most consumers seems to find the "hub", "peak and flow", etc as "gimmicky and at best modestly useful". Meanwhile, I see being able to access Blackboard for school, being able to deposit checks with the camera because my bank has no physical presence in my current city, syncing my music across my laptop/tablet/phone through Rdio, listening to Audible in my downtime, etc as can't live without features.
    xandermac, JasW, SMocek and 1 others like this.
    09-26-13 10:10 AM
    Choice? If the apps are ghost apps, then choice is an illusion. Who cares of there are 100 compass apps or 1000, we only need one good one. And....how many android apps are pirated?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:11 AM
    The problem is that most consumers seems to find the "hub", "peak and flow", etc as "gimmicky and at best modestly useful". Meanwhile, I see being able to access Blackboard for school, being able to deposit checks with the camera because my bank has no physical presence in my current city, syncing my music across my laptop/tablet/phone through Rdio, listening to Audible in my downtime, etc as can't live without features.
    That's why there's choices

chadnichols likes this.
    09-26-13 10:12 AM
    You can't be serious? Another "kill the messenger" reply. Despite their relevance that article was 100% on point. And yes in the news broadcast world CNN is top dog.
    I don't think it was on point, I think it was a combination of a few things (not having most poular apps, no clear company message, poor advertising, and intuative UI, etc.). it was not just one thing. I have android netflix sideloaded and it performs better than my TV netflix app, with more features. Just my $.02
    09-26-13 10:21 AM
    The app situation is killing BB for me. I bought the Z 10 in March. No banking apps, no legit apps to take debit card payments with.
    Basic news apps not available. I didn't buy this phone to play games or watch movies on.
    09-26-13 10:48 AM
    The customer / consumer / prosumer is never wrong. Doesn't really matter if they are wrong anyway, does it?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    09-26-13 10:49 AM
    I'm the only one in our company that uses a Z10. All others, at least in management use iPhone. I am also the only one that can initiate a call without it being dropped. I'm the only one who's call audio isn't garbled, and I'm the only who locks onto 4G consistently when within range.

I have many clients calling me on various devices and by now I can usually identify their OS just by the quality of the call. Not too many problems with incoming Android calls but plenty with iPhone. No problem with BB although most of those calls are from legacy devices so its hard to measure BB10 as a whole. I waste a lot of time asking clients to call me back because their calls are garbled. Depending on the caller, I will ask about their device and the majority will offer they're on an iPhone, which makes sense owing to the number of units sold.

My point is that a cellular phone, smart or otherwise, should first and foremost be a reliable communication device, IOW a PHONE. If it can't do that well, then I don't give a rat's a** about their ecosystem or the apps in their store.

IMHO there is far too much emphasis placed on apps. I know that makes me the odd man out but I bought my Z10 because I wanted a reliable phone. Other tools I need are available in BB World although the baked in apps are more than what I need.

I think BB going private is a good thing. Let Apple and Android (perhaps even Windows) slug it out over apps, specs and gimmicks. If BB continues as a phone maker offering niche devices then I'm all for that. I'll pay a premium for one of their phones if need be. Care Bear pastels and useless gimmicks don't interest me much.
    I am in the same situation as you. I don't care about apps; I have the ones I need through App World.

I do not use Facebook, Instagram, etc. I have Tweeter and LinkedIn that came with the phone programmed with my login information, but I seldom use them.

I sideloaded a few applications not because they are a necessity but out of choice. These are apps to monitor my son's behavior at school. However, I can access the same through the Web which gives me the same info (and in the same format) as the app.

I mainly use the phone as a communication tool (e-mail, phone, BBM, and sometimes text although not a lot). I also use the calendar heavily.

Besides this, I use the BlackBerry Maps, stream music to my car stereo (stored in the phone or Pandora by using Apollo), the camera/video, screen sharing, and movies stored on my SD card while traveling. I also edit and read documents (PDF or MS Office formats) although I use my PlayBook for this more often than the phone.

So, I guess I qualify as the "pro-sumer" the company is now using.

Posted via CB10
    Sandy Sprong likes this.
    09-26-13 11:13 AM
    Article is bang on accurate.

Posted via CB10
    rustong likes this.
    09-26-13 12:23 PM
    To me, a "prosumer" is one that uses professional apps and consumer apps alike. I use office, autocad etc in addition to photo/video editing apps, netflix, games etc... I believe BB wants you to think a "prosumer" is someone that's happy with NO apps being available, neither Pro or Consumer.

I am in the same situation as you. I don't care about apps; I have the ones I need through App World.

I do not use Facebook, Instagram, etc. I have Tweeter and LinkedIn that came with the phone programmed with my login information, but I seldom use them.

I sideloaded a few applications not because they are a necessity but out of choice. These are apps to monitor my son's behavior at school. However, I can access the same through the Web which gives me the same info (and in the same format) as the app.

I mainly use the phone as a communication tool (e-mail, phone, BBM, and sometimes text although not a lot). I also use the calendar heavily.

Besides this, I use the BlackBerry Maps, stream music to my car stereo (stored in the phone or Pandora by using Apollo), the camera/video, screen sharing, and movies stored on my SD card while traveling. I also edit and read documents (PDF or MS Office formats) although I use my PlayBook for this more often than the phone.

So, I guess I qualify as the "pro-sumer" the company is now using.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-26-13 at 01:18 PM.
    AlexXF, SMocek and NYC10065 like this.
    09-26-13 12:35 PM
    The CNN article is right on. That is why I switched to Android this spring. I'm enjoying my HTC One.
    09-26-13 01:08 PM
    This article is spot-on, and something that I think many BlackBerry users, both current and former, have been saying. I was a BlackBerry user a few years ago (I loved my 8900 at the time!). I didn't realize that the app selection was that crippling until I moved to iPhone. Whether you want to deny it or not, apps are a HUGE part of an OS's ecosystem. I couldn't go back to BlackBerry now even if I wanted to--with the number of apps I use daily (banking, password keeper that integrates with Dropbox, and yes, even games), going back to BlackBerry would halt my productivity 100%. Apps aren't just about fun and games. As many people on this thread have mentioned, there are loads of apps out there that increase productivity and just make things easier for you...and many, if not all, of these apps aren't available for BlackBerry. It's the sad truth but when there is a new app it will always say "Available on Apple and Android"...BlackBerry is beyond left in the dust.

In my opinion it's far too late for BlackBerry now and they should stop focusing on consumers (which I guess they are doing). They need to go back to just being a "business" software.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    09-26-13 01:25 PM
    Perhaps just as "video killed the radio star", terrible apps killed the messaging star..
    MPLexus301 and SMocek like this.
    09-26-13 01:41 PM
    CNN sucks and so does their app.
    09-26-13 01:46 PM
    "If it's not Scottish, it's crap"

CNN sucks and so does their app.
    09-26-13 01:47 PM
    Been there, had to sell my HTC One because while it looks great, doesn't have the functional quality and feel of BB. I see your point, obviously lack of app and quality is #1 issue and its because they held onto the physical keyboard until too late. They could have made a Z10 all screen (which most apps require) off the bat. They had something that was working of course, a star, the physical keyboard, but apps are as much and more important. Despite the negative, I'll take the BBZ10 over the HTC One anyday.
    09-26-13 02:13 PM
    Excellent article -- finally all the smoke from Heins & Co about their success with apps has been exposed for what it is. A total sham!

I wouldn't limit the criticism to the "high profile" apps, though, very basic utility apps like banking and airline apps are still missing.

And 40% of the apps from a single developer? No surprise! I would think that shareholders who saw the comments during the Z10 launch regarding "more apps at launch than any other operating system" may have a bone to pick because it is clear that Heins & Co. were b.s.ing the market about what their product had to offer.
    blueberrymerry and 21stNow like this.
    09-26-13 02:17 PM
    CNN is owned by a corporation that dictates what people who should hear. If you are a complete zombie and believe everything you hear on CNN then there is something seriously wrong with you!!
    Jahcure and steve911 like this.
    09-26-13 02:34 PM
364 ... 910111213 ...