06-15-15 08:24 PM
77 1234
tools
    So, is it your stance that BlackBerry devices cannot get these tasks done?
    I don't think he alluded that BB cannot complete those tasks. Merely that BB doesn't maintain any recognizable actual advantage over the others like some would like to think.

Via Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-06-15 05:53 PM
    While this article was moronic satire it did have a tinge of truth. I notice in public there is a sea of people all attached to their glowing screens 12 inches from their face, all hooked to the control interface and infotainment addictions. Whatever way they choose to be "connected" they arent aware of anyone or anything around them. How "connected" can you be if you don't even care to have a conversation with those around you?

I saw this addiction in myself and my personal solution was to get a Blackberry. Never considered it "less functional" but saw it as giving the funtions I needed, minimilizing the distractions. Fit my minimalist lifestyle. I could stay connected without losing 40 minutes on one addiction to the next. My Blackberry tells me what I need to know in 5 minutes, and done back to living life.

I know I am in the minority. Dont care
    BlackBerry is so functional that I use my phone less because of blend. Almost everything can be done from my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-06-15 06:20 PM
    While other platforms can do the same functions as a BlackBerry, I would challenge to say that they don't do them as well as a BlackBerry.

Apple still hasn't mastered Exchange calendar functionality. Meetings with delegates gets lost or the whole occurrence of the meeting disappears.

Apple is not a Exchange gold partner. And I have friends at many firms who have users like mine who complain of delayed emails and such.

The LED indicator is great on a BlackBerry. Android does it well too. If I miss the APNS on an iPhone how do I know I have a message waiting without touching the device? I'm sure there is a way but I haven't found anything good. Other than the camera flash as an LED. But you can't customize that.

Most users like iPhone more due to it being a status symbol. Just like BlackBerry was. Also, let's be honest. It's the apps and push notifications. Apple does that we'll. However, I'm happy with my Classic and my iPad mini as my combo through blend.

Just a few notes from a corporate perspective.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 07:33 PM
    BB's cannot get as many tasks done in enterprise because many of the necessary apps to make this happen are not available. Sorry but that's just the way it is these days.
    04-06-15 07:39 PM
    BB's cannot get as many tasks done in enterprise because many of the necessary apps to make this happen are not available. Sorry but that's just the way it is these days.
    I don't know about that anymore. Apps that used to never work are working the only exceptions are usually Google services apps.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-06-15 07:43 PM
    I can't believe people are getting worked up over this article...
    04-06-15 08:14 PM
    Really? Like what apps?

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    extisis, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    04-06-15 08:54 PM
    What brand we use is a preference, our addictions however...I'm starting to wonder. and then this April 1, 2015 | Bizarro!
    Need to talk with other people more.
    04-06-15 09:08 PM
    I don't know about that anymore. Apps that used to never work are working the only exceptions are usually Google services apps.

Posted via CB10
    and even those are mostly social/dating/gaming apps.. or Uber.
    04-07-15 12:24 AM
    Does anyone actually care about Ed Miliband's opinion?

I'm British and I really don't care......screw politicians.
    04-07-15 03:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    And if you don't mind a little hackery you can get around that restriction in many cases.
    techvisor and bungaboy like this.
    04-07-15 07:55 AM
    Please take a moment and re-read carefully what I wrote. I do not use any of the words in post, nor do I insinuate same. If you are unable to infer the plain meaning of less than 6 lines of simple text, you may want to visit your physician.
    04-07-15 09:58 AM
    With regard to the enterprise apps not available for BB - there are many. These are generally not your Google Store type apps. These are specific apps that are written for enterprise users, though some are in the Iphone store. I don't care enough to create a list here, but I will give one instance; (please feel free to Google search for others.)

IManage worksite mobile. The app provides access to files stored on a secure worksite server as well as allowing the user to insert and/or open nrl links, rather than a copy of the document, which is extremely useful if one needs to look at prior versions, or make a change and version up.
    04-07-15 10:12 AM
    Really? Like what apps?

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Perhaps you don't read a lot of Crackberry like I do, where I often see people saying they needed to get a secondary device or switch to another platform altogether because enterprise app not available. I know in some cases Android app would be available, but often this is not tolerated or encouraged in an enterprise environment.

But anyway, to answer your direct question, here are (8) apps only available fir IOS: Apple + IBM add 8 new enterprise iOS apps, first for industrial products & healthcare industries | 9to5Mac
    04-07-15 10:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    No doubt there has been a big improvement with subsequent BBOS updates.
    04-07-15 11:05 AM
    Perhaps you don't read a lot of Crackberry like I do, where I often see people saying they needed to get a secondary device or switch to another platform altogether because enterprise app not available. I know in some cases Android app would be available, but often this is not tolerated or encouraged in an enterprise environment.

But anyway, to answer your direct question, here are (8) apps only available fir IOS: Apple + IBM add 8 new enterprise iOS apps, first for industrial products & healthcare industries | 9to5Mac
    Conjecture on the first part. A lot of that is old concern. To your second point, much of enterprise is not health care, not to mention BlackBerry is working on its own suite of apps in this space anyway. I work for a company of over 70,000 employees, there is no missing apps for functionality. Anecdotal? Perhaps, but my company is not unique in its structure or needs. The irony is the base OS (specifically to iOS) is far less functional when it comes to file management, email attachments and calendar integration than BB10. That's not to note the raw function of keystroke inputs be it virtual or compared to the BlackBerry pkb. Knowing both OS's, in a work environment, BB10 is the ball compared to iOS.

Back to your second point again, what's the downloads of those apps? bet it's low. Vast majority of enterprise mobile needs is information in/information out in the traditional sense. Very few companies have specific apps needed for mobile functionality. Far less have them developed specifically for them.

My point to you is simple, you used a broad brush that is IMO a great deal of misinformation. Yes there are some missing apps, but should enterprise in the manufacturing space make decisions based on missing apps in the health care space as an example? Or make decisions based on no requirement to specific apps at all?

When it comes to "mainstream" apps, I would challenge you to make a list of what enterprise might absolutely need that BlackBerry cannot get.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    04-07-15 11:27 AM
    I still have lots of these, and I have no problem holding people down and shoving a few in their noses. Don't make me have to do that again.

pkcable, BCITMike and DJM626 like this.
    04-07-15 11:55 AM
    And if THAT doesn't work then.....

By the power of greyskull...

CNET article about BlackBerry.-ban_hammer.jpg
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-07-15 12:45 PM
    Conjecture on the first part. A lot of that is old concern. To your second point, much of enterprise is not health care, not to mention BlackBerry is working on its own suite of apps in this space anyway. I work for a company of over 70,000 employees, there is no missing apps for functionality. Anecdotal? Perhaps, but my company is not unique in its structure or needs. The irony is the base OS (specifically to iOS) is far less functional when it comes to file management, email attachments and calendar integration than BB10. That's not to note the raw function of keystroke inputs be it virtual or compared to the BlackBerry pkb. Knowing both OS's, in a work environment, BB10 is the ball compared to iOS.

Back to your second point again, what's the downloads of those apps? bet it's low. Vast majority of enterprise mobile needs is information in/information out in the traditional sense. Very few companies have specific apps needed for mobile functionality. Far less have them developed specifically for them.

My point to you is simple, you used a broad brush that is IMO a great deal of misinformation. Yes there are some missing apps, but should enterprise in the manufacturing space make decisions based on missing apps in the health care space as an example? Or make decisions based on no requirement to specific apps at all?

When it comes to "mainstream" apps, I would challenge you to make a list of what enterprise might absolutely need that BlackBerry cannot get.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    I don't think it is misinformation at all to broadly say that there are less enterprise apps available for BB. Keep in mind I am only counting BB apps available from the officially sanctioned sources of BB App World and Amazon App Store. What about Microsoft Lync? Here is one such example from one of the regulars here:

"In my current company, we have a pretty open BYOD policy, with active sync connectivity. I have both an iPhone 5S (work) and my Z10 (home) connected. Both "do the trick" in terms of calendar and email and contacts. Where it falls apart for the Z10 is the apps we use. We communicate by Lync, but there isn't one for BlackBerry 10. We use Concur Travel but there isn't one for BlackBerry. Both can technically view office docs, but now iPhone has the official one and BlackBerry does not." http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...l#post10181330

Also anecdotal but I work at a company of 330,000+ employees and we have our own app store, only for iOS and Android devices. Also we are using MS Lync for all our communication needs (presence, IM, voice, screen sharing/remote control) except when desk or cell phones are used.

I agree that for every specific instance, a corporation should analyse what their specific needs are, and then make a determination of what device will work best for them. I would have no problem with a corporation selecting Blackberry for communications and security, but I would also not fault a corporation for selecting iOS, knowing this ensures the greatest chance of app functionality and availability, now and in the future.
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    04-07-15 01:35 PM
    I don't think it is misinformation at all to broadly say that there are less enterprise apps available for BB. Keep in mind I am only counting BB apps available from the officially sanctioned sources of BB App World and Amazon App Store. What about Microsoft Lync? Here is one such example from one of the regulars here:

"In my current company, we have a pretty open BYOD policy, with active sync connectivity. I have both an iPhone 5S (work) and my Z10 (home) connected. Both "do the trick" in terms of calendar and email and contacts. Where it falls apart for the Z10 is the apps we use. We communicate by Lync, but there isn't one for BlackBerry 10. We use Concur Travel but there isn't one for BlackBerry. Both can technically view office docs, but now iPhone has the official one and BlackBerry does not." http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...l#post10181330

Also anecdotal but I work at a company of 330,000+ employees and we have our own app store, only for iOS and Android devices. Also we are using MS Lync for all our communication needs (presence, IM, voice, screen sharing/remote control) except when desk or cell phones are used.

I agree that for every specific instance, a corporation should analyse what their specific needs are, and then make a determination of what device will work best for them. I would have no problem with a corporation selecting Blackberry for communications and security, but I would also not fault a corporation for selecting iOS, knowing this ensures the greatest chance of app functionality and availability, now and in the future.
    Funny you bring up Lync, we use it as well, but it is far from an absolute must have when mobile. I have it on my Z30, it works well, but never use it. Challenge with Lync as a mobile tool is that when you are mobile it defeats the value of Lync. It's one of those apps within an enterprise that is the true definition of instant, yet when you are "mobile" you can't always respond even thou you can be shown as "available" (ie when driving). By marking your self busy or away defeats the point of real time and honest status that to me is key in enterprise, might as well use email....but I digress, not the point, but just thought it funny you bring that up. Most of my colleagues have iPhones, none use Lync on it for the reasons I note above, to many times the boss would IM someone on Lync when they were indisposed when mobile only to get in crap for not responding right away. Only time I use when mobile is to see if someone in the office is at their desk.

My US colleagues use concur for their expenses. A couple have BB10, use it, seems to work fine. It's available on Amazon as well. So that one is not an issue. Lync needs to come from Snap, but as mentioned it does work (understand the average lacky can't be expected to figure that out).

To be truthful there are not that many mainstream apps that are absolute essential for mobile (even Lync is not a linch Pin app), to me, if I were CIO I would be far more concerned with actual productivity and availability as well as quality of through put information. Not to mention device security and management. To me that's were BB10 shines (along with BES).

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    zyben, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    04-07-15 02:11 PM

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    That's all well and good, that blackberry works for you and your company. But they just don't for the majority. In fact, we know that the majority of enterprise contracts are going to Apple these days. Market share numbers clearly indicate it.

So yes. Your instance is both anecdotal, and the minority.
    04-07-15 02:31 PM
    That's all well and good, that blackberry works for you and your company. But they just don't for the majority. In fact, we know that the majority of enterprise contracts are going to Apple these days. Market share numbers clearly indicate it.

So yes. Your instance is both anecdotal, and the minority.
    Not only do they work for the majority, they work better, just most wouldn't care to admit it OR know to admit it.

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    zyben, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    04-07-15 02:39 PM
    Not bad at all. What they are saying is there are less distractions. You can focus more.

Posted via CB10
    This is the BlackBerry selling point! "BlackBerry Flow" is the coined phrase if I'm not mistaken.

No home button because you can do anything while doing anything (as far as I can tell). FaceTime is very useful because there's no other applications like it. Skype and BBM Video are like it, but that's it. There's no other applications like iTunes for the Android, Windows or BlackBerry platforms. These platforms don't have audio and video stores where you make purchases that automatically stay with devices registered to you. However, these files are proprietary. You would have to do quite a bit to get them to play or even transfer them to non-Mac devices.

Who wants to have all of their information encrypted anyway? Who wants Picture Password? Easy to remember yet strong.

BlackBerry World sells lots of tools for productively and fewer applications for distraction.

I really have very little need for distractions. Too much to do. I don't need a lot of extra apps to get my tasks done. Luckily for BlackBerry 10 devices come with, almost everything I need!

I don't mean to say that Android, iOS and Windows phones are great devices. I just mean to say that BlackBerry 10 platform has the features I prefer.

Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.1.2582
    04-07-15 04:07 PM
    Most users like iPhone more due to it being a status symbol. Just like BlackBerry was.
    But if so many people have iPhones, how can they be a status symbol? BlackBerry was a status symbol in the mid 2000s because of its reputation of professionalism. Plus the number of people with smartphones were a fraction of what they are now. That's also why iPhones were once seen as a status symbol - smartphones weren't as popular in 2007 as they are now, and they were very pricey. They're still pricey depending on how much storage you get, but from the outside you can't tell if someone's carrying a 16gb model or a 128gb model. But they're no more a status symbol than high end Android devices that cost just as much.
    donnation and techvisor like this.
    04-07-15 05:00 PM
    While other platforms can do the same functions as a BlackBerry, I would challenge to say that they don't do them as well as a BlackBerry.
    Elaborate please. Where exactly do the other platforms fail to perform any functions as effectively? Can the other platforms not enter text at a reasonable rate? Do the other platforms not support file formats that BB does? Do the other platforms not support the services required to interact with said services? To be quite frank about it... the whole "they don't do them as well" argument is based solely on habitual actions that manifest opinions. The other platforms don't do it less effectively... they do it differently. When a BB user test drives another platform, their first instinct is that "this isn't right" because that's all they know; when actually it's not wrong... just different. Neither platform is less effective. Just different in how they approach it. And it's not just BB users adapting to other platforms... as regular users of other platforms that move to Blackberry encounter the same phenomena. It's not wrong, it's not less effective, it's just different.

Every forum for other platforms (Android, iOS, WP) have more than their fair share of threads started by people who've only know one platform, are now driving a new platform, and are convinced everything is just wrong and are seeking help, until they get used to the different UI/UX experience. Once they get past it and adapt, their tune changes dramatically.
    04-07-15 06:29 PM
77 1234