12-13-15 07:47 AM
77 1234
tools
    See Ford Sync. A year ago made decision to dump Microsoft for QNX for all their vehicles.
    I wonder if this new Chrysler system will allow Apple car play on it like QNX does?

Posted from my Z30 with Google Play Store
    10-31-15 05:12 AM
    I wonder if this new Chrysler system will allow Apple car play on it like QNX does?
    Car Play and Android Auto are essentially "apps" for these closed car platforms, but, yes, both will run on QNX, Linux, and even WinEmbedded (such as Ford's Sync - not that many will use it). That's the whole point - to provide a common interface for every platform. There are already vehicles running Linux with Car Play and Android Auto.
    dolco likes this.
    10-31-15 11:34 AM
    As an aside - just saw this about car systems (its not about QNX but interesting anyway):

Meet the man behind CarPlay and Android Auto at GM | The Verge
    10-31-15 01:43 PM
    Probably better to not be associated with chrysler, considering all their vehicles are garbage, seriously, this is coming from someone closely involved with a company operating over 100 vehicles. Other than Caravans, every single other vehicle they produce is total garbage.

BB for Life
    I think Caravans are garbage too. The Jeep Wrangler is interesting though.
    10-31-15 03:13 PM
    I think Caravans are garbage too. The Jeep Wrangler is interesting though.
    Aside from it being a minivan, which is inherently garbage, the caravans are very reliable and versatile.

After you drive a Jeep Wrangler you will know longer think it's interesting, you will only find it interesting that people pay 30-40k for them! They are nowhere near as capable and reliable as the predecessor TJ/YJ of 15+ years ago

BB for Life
    10-31-15 04:02 PM
    Aside from it being a minivan, which is inherently garbage, the caravans are very reliable and versatile.

After you drive a Jeep Wrangler you will know longer think it's interesting, you will only find it interesting that people pay 30-40k for them! They are nowhere near as capable and reliable as the predecessor TJ/YJ of 15+ years ago

BB for Life
    You're smoking something. First of all... The Wrangler is nowhere near close to the 30k-40k range. The price range is from 14.5k to 19k (unless you're dumb enough to buy the Rubicon luxury line). They perform much better than the CJ/YJ counterparts, and hold the reputation as being the least recycled vehicle (meaning once bought rarely re-sold because the owner keeps them). The previous iterations, the CJ etc... were simply not compliant for road use due to their propensity to roll. Today, the Wrangler will lose rear traction before rolling, which is a much safer attribute. This as a result of ever so slightly extending the Wheel Base and lowering it a tad. You really must be drinking the Koolaid of a Jeep competitor if you're buying into all of that. Typically, the only people that buy into the rhetoric you're spewing, are those who are fans of the Humvee line of vehicles. But occasionally others buy into it as well.

The only Jeep product that could possibly be criticized was the Wagoneer, which was discontinued in the early 90's.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-31-15 04:26 PM
    My 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer is one of my favourites (interestingly, the stickers inside the engine compartment proudly proclaimed AMC, but AMC had been acquired by Chrysler several years prior to this).

Chrysler dropping QNX?-jgw.jpg

"My big woodie" was pretty reliable, except that it could be hard to start and prone to stalling in damp weather, and on those days, you had to lightly feather the gas pedal until it had a chance to warm-up. Other than that, the 727 Torqueflite and Quadra-Trac were bullet proof, and not a speck of rust. I'm sorry I sold the old brute.
    10-31-15 05:14 PM
    I read that jeep was going to reintroduce that vehicle so they could have their own 7 passenger to compliment the durango.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 08:07 PM
    It will be hard to duplicate the old world charm, although it would be presumably a far superior vehicle in every other respect. From what I've read, I gather the new Wagoneer is quite nice on the inside, ****-ugly on the out.
    10-31-15 08:15 PM
    Chrysler / dodge / jeep is a pretty big portion of the industry

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 10:18 PM
    I've driven a few rental Jeeps. I can't say they handle well or seem well built. A Japanese of Korean car of the same price offers a lot more.

Posted via CB10
    Smart man. I myself stick to japanese too because I appreciate the quality, durability, and focus on long run cost effectiveness. I find American car makers cut corners and try to baffle you with bull**** features such as rear backup cameras lol

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 10:50 PM
    There's a reason why toyotas and Hondas have the best resale value and slowest depreciation rates.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 10:54 PM
    Does anyone else see the irony in what this argument has become? Substitute Jeep or Chrysler with BlackBerry and the others with iPhone (or Android). Perhaps will give some a different perspective.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 07:20 AM
    Chrysler / dodge / jeep is a pretty big portion of the industry

Posted via CB10
    And a large portion of the Industry sells cheap junk, just like any other industry, e.g the PC industry.
    11-01-15 07:31 AM

BB for Life
    I have driven one, I still find it interesting. I have also driven Chrysler Minivans, they seem just as junky as their cars. My sister owned one. It was not particularly reliable.
    11-01-15 07:32 AM
    Didn't Porsche just choose apple car play as the only system because android auto wanted to collect and transmit location, speed, rpm, throttle position etc. Why collect it? Insurance companies, employers, spouses, accident investigators would pay.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 07:39 AM
    Does anyone else see the irony in what this argument has become? Substitute Jeep or Chrysler with BlackBerry and the others with iPhone (or Android). Perhaps will give some a different perspective.
    Your point is well taken. It sounds all too familiar, doesn't it?

Frankly, I'm sorry I bothered to start this thread. I was hoping that we could keep this on-topic given QNX's efforts vis--vis the auto industry, but that seems rather unlikely.
    11-01-15 07:53 AM
    Your point is well taken. It sounds all too familiar, doesn't it?

Frankly, I'm sorry I bothered to start this thread. I was hoping that we could keep this on-topic given QNX's efforts vis--vis the auto industry, but that seems rather unlikely.
    So, what kind of fees were they charging? Do other companies charge them? If not, let's remember the lesson from charging for BIS!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 09:02 AM
    I don't know, but someone else might provide us with a proper answer. One estimate I've seen suggests that it's in the order of $3.00 per vehicle.
    11-01-15 09:09 AM
    Not really. Mostly trash. I've been in the auto tech for 16 in my last location alone, and I can definitely say...trash. Like I over heard one service tech at a dealership over the phone with another service tech from another dealership about a Chrysler Sebring...."what year was that garbage can again?" If service reps are calling the cars they represent garbage cans...There's an issue.

Posted via CB10
    We had a 2008 Rubicon that required an engine rebuild at 55K my old Cherokee has over 320K and doesn't burn oil. I'd take a TJ Wrangler over any new jeep. We still have the Cherokee but not the Wrangler

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 01:05 PM
    We had a 2008 Rubicon that required an engine rebuild at 55K my old Cherokee has over 320K and doesn't burn oil. I'd take a TJ Wrangler over any new jeep. We still have the Cherokee but not the Wrangler

Posted via CB10
    The Rubicon (which IMO is a crazy overpriced buy, but I digress) comes with a 60k miles warranty for the engine/drive-train. You shouldn't have had to pay for a rebuild, but instead have Jeep replace or rebuild the motor at their expense. On the flip side, living in Colorado there are 3 Wranglers in my family that have never had issues. My son's Wrangler which is a 2004 with over 200k miles (really high mileage) has had zero issues simply due to a consitent regimented maintenance for oil, lube, plugs, tire rotations, etc... and it's going strong. My own is a 2003 model, granted it only has 70k miles (I have other vehicles and ride my motorcycle more often than not) has had zero issues.
    11-01-15 03:47 PM
    I am not comfortable driving a two ton vehicle that uses open software to facilitate operation of this block of metal, plastic and people.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Open source software is less prone to security risk because of the amount of peer review that occurs. It's part of why Linux is successful in servers.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 05:36 PM
    The Rubicon (which IMO is a crazy overpriced buy, but I digress) comes with a 60k miles warranty for the engine/drive-train. You shouldn't have had to pay for a rebuild, but instead have Jeep replace or rebuild the motor at their expense. On the flip side, living in Colorado there are 3 Wranglers in my family that have never had issues. My son's Wrangler which is a 2004 with over 200k miles (really high mileage) has had zero issues simply due to a consitent regimented maintenance for oil, lube, plugs, tire rotations, etc... and it's going strong. My own is a 2003 model, granted it only has 70k miles (I have other vehicles and ride my motorcycle more often than not) has had zero issues.
    I didn't say I had to pay for it but we did have to fight for 6 months to be them to fix it. Now for over priced it did retain enough money to actually pay us more than we owed.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 06:13 PM
    You have the TJ model, the new JK sux

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 06:15 PM
    We need to fight back against these corporations and get our privacy back. I have no interest in being cyber stalked by chrysler and my personal data mined and sold to the highest bidder.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:39 AM
77 1234