For those who haven't read it, I thought this would be an interesting news story to discuss: My thoughts on the BlackBerry Q2 results released this morning | CrackBerry.com

Two really interesting things from my POV:
    "First of all, the published numbers are worse than they indicated last Friday, the date of their layoff announcement. The pre-announcement was certainly truthful by saying the GAAP loss was close to a billion dollars. What they didnt tell us until this morning is that the pre-tax loss was actually $1.44 billion. Im not a tax expert, so when I looked at last weeks pre-announcement I thought that, excluding the Z10 inventory write down, they were pretty close to break even. Thats not the case. They are bleeding badly."

And secondly:
    "Another bad sign for the company is the consistent weakness across all geographical regions. Lets look at some numbers:

North America sales are down 46% from last quarter.
    Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) sales are down 49% from last quarter
    Latin American sales are down 56% from last quarter.
    Asia Pacific sales are down 47% from last quarter.

Thats a very consistent drop in sales!
    "

This second point is very telling. On these forums we've seen a lot of blame heaped on american consumers, american carriers, etc. It's complete rubbish. All around the world people have been abandoning BlackBerry. All across the carriers (some who did push out releases fast, some who didn't). All across different styles and spends of marketing dollars (here where I live there are TONS of BlackBerry Z/Q10 posterboards) and different media (multilingual). And it didn't make a lick of difference.

The one constant in all this: the product. It was never the carrier, the marketing, the Americans, the media, the government conspiracy. The failure has simply been all along, the product.
    09-27-13 07:08 PM
    I noticed the geographic breakdown as well, and the weakness across all, but I actually don't think it's that.....interesting in that, the sales remain roughly close to the same geographic breakdown they were before. Sales are down, (and are being counted in a reduced way), but it's the same everywhere - though that also suggests (the numbers aren't specific and detailed enough to be sure though), as I mentioned in another thread, that the bulk of sales (no suprise) are bb7 devices.
    howarmat likes this.
    09-27-13 07:19 PM
    I noticed the geographic breakdown as well, and the weakness across all, but I actually don't think it's that.....interesting in that, the sales remain roughly close to the same geographic breakdown they were before. Sales are down, (and are being counted in a reduced way), but it's the same everywhere - though that also suggests (the numbers aren't specific and detailed enough to be sure though), as I mentioned in another thread, that the bulk of sales (no suprise) are bb7 devices.
    I agree that blackberry should have had an upgrade path for legacy bb usere.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-27-13 07:23 PM
    Yep, that's definitely a good point.
    09-27-13 07:27 PM

They did, it's called charging us full retail.
    09-27-13 07:39 PM
    They did, it's called charging us full retail.
    Ha! Totally true!
    09-27-13 07:55 PM

To be fair to Blackberry, at the time the Z10 was released, the newest legacy BB devices (excluding the soon-to-be-released - and to me, perplexing - Bold 9720) were 1 1/2 years old. Pretty much no Android devices are supported (upgraded) after 18 months. Microsoft never upgraded WP7 devices; they replaced them with WP8 devices (though they at least allowed WP7 devices to have a WP8 "look"). Even iPhones, while typically upgraded for two cycles, start have performance issues after the second (2 year) update.

Based on when BB10 devices were actually released relative to the "newest" BB7 devices, not providing an upgrade path actually is defendable and not something (IMO) Blackberry should be raked over the coals for.
    09-27-13 08:06 PM
    To be fair to Blackberry, at the time the Z10 was released, the newest legacy BB devices (excluding the soon-to-be-released - and to me, perplexing - Bold 9720) were 1 1/2 years old. Pretty much no Android devices are supported (upgraded) after 18 months. Microsoft never upgraded WP7 devices; they replaced them with WP8 devices (though they at least allowed WP7 devices to have a WP8 "look"). Even iPhones, while typically upgraded for two cycles, start have performance issues after the second (2 year) update.

Based on when BB10 devices were actually released relative to the "newest" BB7 devices, not providing an upgrade path actually is defendable and not something (IMO) Blackberry should be raked over the coals for.
    Bbry is by far the worst for software upgrades to older hardware. Look at bb5, bb6, bb7, pbos.

Pretty sure stacked meant an upgrade for hardware though. "Trade in your ____ for $200 off of a Z, Q, etc".

Even msft is offering a $200 trade in for Apple products
    09-27-13 08:20 PM
    Regardless of the problems the point still remains that BlackBerry failed to do something, be it the phones, the marketing, the overall strategy, the execution, the os, the developer relations, the whatever. BlackBerry was unsuccessful. At this point it doesn't matter how or why.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:24 AM
    No sales means no apps, no apps means no sales. The vicious circle.

The product is fine, just can't get out of the catch 22.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    09-28-13 01:11 AM
    No sales means no apps, no apps means no sales. The vicious circle.

The product is fine, just can't get out of the catch 22.

Posted via CB10
    People can virtually buy a z10 here now for $0 on contract or $299 outright - and they still aren't selling. Chicken or egg?
    09-28-13 02:26 AM

I think Apple has done a fantastic job of supporting their old devices - making versions of the new OS available until the sheer hardware horsepower finally makes it nonviable. BUT....I"m not sure what stackberry 369 was referring to....since I didn't really say anything here about an upgrade path!!

I thought maybe he was referring to this thread where I patted myself on the back for a couple of my old posts/predictions which were unloved:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...volume-854420/

...but there, I wasn't referring to bb10 on the old devices....just migrating people to a bb10 device - and perhaps that's what he meant also!
    09-29-13 09:17 AM
    ...but there, I wasn't referring to bb10 on the old devices....just migrating people to a bb10 device - and perhaps that's what he meant also!
    An upgrade path is a non-starter on the software-side since legacy BB devices don't have the specs to support BB10. Remember, even the PlayBook couldn't support it.
    09-29-13 10:56 AM
    An upgrade path is a non-starter on the software-side since legacy BB devices don't have the specs to support BB10. Remember, even the PlayBook couldn't support it.
    Right, that's why i never suggested it....a year ago or now. I thought a crucial BB play would be to migrate those people over fast to BB10 devices, but never thought or expected the old hardware to handle it. The PB....ugh....no excuse for that one! Supposed to be designed from the start to be able to handle BB10.....by the QNX people!! But that's another rant.... ;-)
    09-29-13 07:48 PM
    Right, that's why i never suggested it....a year ago or now. I thought a crucial BB play would be to migrate those people over fast to BB10 devices, but never thought or expected the old hardware to handle it. The PB....ugh....no excuse for that one! Supposed to be designed from the start to be able to handle BB10.....by the QNX people!! But that's another rant.... ;-)
    I didn't mean to suggest that you argued for that type of upgrade. . .I just used your comment poorly. My fault.
    09-30-13 10:56 AM
    Umi should have known the before taxes loss was higher...tax rates haven't changed. Totally meaningless comment from someone who should know better.

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    09-30-13 02:03 PM
    Wait... it wasn't the darn Americans OR the American media? It was the whole world?

I won't believe it. The numbers are made up. Statcounter shows a clear uptick in sales.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-30-13 02:10 PM