10-19-15 01:10 PM
37 12
tools
    Blackberry went back on the 10 million figure so we can only hope they'll backtrack on the 5 million figure if they don't meet it.

I wouldn't be shocked if come October 2016 Chen said that we need 2.5 million units annually to survive.
    Except...

10 million was never ever ever the number. It was mentioned in an interview, taken way out of context and went off like a run away train like so many other things that this site's posters are prone to do.

And now, as expected, it's listed as another missed promise.

I can't believe I am starting to feel sympathy for a for-profit tech company lol.
    10-16-15 11:51 AM
    Except...

10 million was never ever ever the number. It was mentioned in an interview, taken way out of context and went off like a run away train like so many other things that this site's posters are prone to do.

And now, as expected, it's listed as another missed promise.

I can't believe I am starting to feel sympathy for a for-profit tech company lol.
    Kind of true. Chen also said that BlackBerry for Enterprise could be like a Porsche sports car. He also promoted Amazon. I think the 5million is just a way of saying that Android has the potential to increase profits by lowering software development costs.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 12:38 PM
    Kind of true. Chen also said that BlackBerry for Enterprise could be like a Porsche sports car. He also promoted Amazon. I think the 5million is just a way of saying that Android has the potential to increase profits by lowering software development costs.

Posted via CB10
    I think I heard him finally acknowledge in an interview that they cannot make money, right now, without hardware. My recollection is he actually said...I am starting to see hardware sales as an entry point into my services. I need hardware to be profitable...
    10-16-15 02:25 PM
    If the priv sells well samsung will release a keyboard and phone and crush BlackBerry. Or buy them.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 02:29 PM
    I think I heard him finally acknowledge in an interview that they cannot make money, right now, without hardware. My recollection is he actually said...I am starting to see hardware sales as an entry point into my services. I need hardware to be profitable...
    Could we get a cite. So far I have not heard that.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 02:40 PM
    The hype on reddit is real: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...by_blackberry/

If the reviews are good, lots of people buy on launch, minimal returns, lots of word-of-mouth, and some real advertising I could definitely see sales hit 5 million.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-16-15 04:14 PM
    Classic....

To be honest, I expect production to end on some of the newer BB10 devices. As I imagine the end of the BB10 platform is going to gut BB10 sales to both enterprise and the few consumers that were buying. As there aren't that many enterprise customers that bought into BB10 100%, I think very quickly you'll see purchasing of BB10 devices drop significantly.

The thing is 5 million is just a number... what Chen is looking at is how much profit does he expect to make off of each PRIV sold. Say it's $300 a phone, that would be $1.5 Billion. The problem with the Android platform is that flagship phones don't hold their value for long, because someone else will release a different flagship every two months. So if Chen "plans" to hold his prices, but is forced to change them by the market... that 5 Million number could also change.

The thing is I'm not sure if HTC and Samsung are who Chen sees as competition... or if it BlackPhone and KNOX devices. Cause these are two different markets.... BlackPhone and KNOX are more expensive products who's prices don't vary, but they don't appeal or sell to consumers. HTC and Samsung sell to consumers, but even they are having to mark down their flagship products in order to compete. I think Chen want to sell to both markets, I'm just not sure BlackBerry is in a position to do that. The security market will need to to test what BlackBerry has "created", and they'll want some assurances about life cycle..... that I'm not sure a nine month deadline offers. Consumer market.... wants better and cheaper, better and cheaper, better and cheaper...... PRIV is a OK device today - depending on it's finial price point. But how will it compare in three months, what about six months?
    Classic has runs its course... ;-)

No, don't wanna be mean. What I'm saying, the Priv will and will need to be the bestseller, and the top-margin product.

It still is differentiated from other droids...

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-18-15 at 05:34 PM.
    10-16-15 08:14 PM
    Could we get a cite. So far I have not heard that.

Posted via CB10
    About the 5 minute mark is where he mentions it. There is another, longer interview where he mentions what I'm remembering, but I'm not really up for digging...

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/3/27/Bla...-on-track.aspx
    10-16-15 09:54 PM
    That is a really old cite. We need to fast forward to his current state of interviews.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:22 PM
    Given how "well" BBM works on iOS and Android, after a year of development, what do you think are the chances of BB getting the Hub and the rest of the BB Experience Apps finished by Priv launch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 09:39 AM
    Hahahaha Chen wants this, Chen wants that. Let's bring back Heins! No sleep till BlackBerry 10 yo! BlackBerry 10!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 01:03 PM
    Judging from the price point that is being rumoured... they may have fewer sales

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 01:10 PM
37 12