10-19-15 02:10 PM
37 12
tools
    BlackBerry CEO wants to sell 5 million phones a year | The Verge

"Chen wouldn't commit to saying that we'll never see another BB10 device again, but he noted that the market for BB10 devices has been squarely in the high-security business, such as governments and hospitals. BlackBerry will continue to support those customers with software updates, but since they don't upgrade their devices very often, the impetus to come out with new hardware often is low."

My point is that Chen is providing a spin ( if this article is accurate). I do think for a moment that sales of BB10 devices to Enterprise sales would even come close to consumer sales.

His number used to be 10 million devices. It seems that BlackBerry can not afford BB10 for new devices.

I would like to see a return to their 2011 strategy of the Bold, All touch (trackpad as a home button?) and Torch but using Android.
    10-09-15 12:27 PM
    Insane expectation on his part. Blackberry's reputation has been utterly destroyed except for .2% of phone purchasers. The Priv is a great path but it will take a long time for BB to regain its reputation and actually be a market contender. Seems to me, from Chen's statement, that they may not have the patience to wait it out and already have one eye on the hardware exit door.
    10-09-15 01:05 PM
    Insane expectation on his part. Blackberry's reputation has been utterly destroyed except for .2% of phone purchasers. The Priv is a great path but it will take a long time for BB to regain its reputation and actually be a market contender. Seems to me, from Chen's statement, that they may not have the patience to wait it out and already have one eye on the hardware exit door.
    How are those insane expectations, they have sold more than 5 million devices in the last year, and now they are coming out with android phone that opens up the majority of the market to considering it.

If BB10 can live on in the shadow of new BlackBerry androids getting a new phone every two years or so using the components of their more successful android line, then I would be happy. As long as non-BES subscribers could still purchase the phone (probably not from carriers but directly)

BB for Life
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    10-09-15 01:09 PM
    What are you talking about ? The only bad rep regarding BlackBerry by the average consumer is that their old bbos had no apps and was slow.

Running Android basically guarantees how it will perform and that it will not have any kind of drawback from the bbos years.
    Zirak likes this.
    10-09-15 01:48 PM
    5M isn't that much. It's actually pretty low...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 02:14 PM
    May not be too low for one slider device running Android at premium prices. I suppose they might have a million BB10 devices still unsold. They might keep some of that behind for Enterprise limited demand. The key here is PKB. We do not know the size of the PKB market.

An all touch Android version of the PRIV would sell better than the PRIV. Put in the features that are missing from the iPhone and Samsung.

My main point is this spin he puts out about Enterprise wanting BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-09-15 at 03:11 PM.
    10-09-15 02:57 PM
    He went from 10mil goalpost to 5. They still managed to move 800k smartphones last quarter - if having Android as an OS can increase that pitiful number by a little more than 50% / quarter (1.25 million) he'd hit it.

I think he's setting the bar as low as it can go.
    10-09-15 03:47 PM
    He cut down the device division to where 5M with Priv plus declining BB10 units can be maintained. Priv can probably do 5M annually by itself thats how absent BB10 to the awareness of the general public.

By 2017 if BB10 is still actively supported it will only be on an enterprise only device like the SecureSmart tablet and will be priced accordingly.
    10-09-15 04:04 PM
    Blackberry went back on the 10 million figure so we can only hope they'll backtrack on the 5 million figure if they don't meet it.

I wouldn't be shocked if come October 2016 Chen said that we need 2.5 million units annually to survive.
    10-09-15 04:21 PM
    The Android will cost less to maintain but about the same to make hence the lower break even point. I suspect the next BlackBerry device after the PRIV will be an out sourced designed all touch. Even though I no longer use a PKB, I hope there is a new BlackBerry PKB besides the Slider.

I very much doubt that we will see another new BB10 device just because they can not make a profit from their sale and I do not imagine there would be any demand either.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:10 PM
    Well, if he wants to get sales back on track, then let's release the new Priv ASAP. I just hope they don't drag their feet getting the device to market.
    10-09-15 06:09 PM
    Not insane.

If the phone is good, the reviews are good, word will get out quickly. 5 million is not that many. There are probably a million BlackBerry users alone that will buy one.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-09-15 09:57 PM
    Chen has made the hardware division as lean a possible and streamline the production/inventory process for hardware, so I believe this is reason why the target goal of 5 million devices (includes BB10 devices) being sold for 2016 is being used. If the Priv is profitable then I would expect a touch screen android would be next, as at that point Chen can just use the Priv as the blue print for such a dive. Remove the keyboard and finish up by closing the back of the device. I imagine that the touch screen device would have the same internals as the Priv.
    10-11-15 12:31 PM
    Chen has made the hardware division as lean a possible and streamline the production/inventory process for hardware, so I believe this is reason why the target goal of 5 million devices (includes BB10 devices) being sold for 2016 is being used. If the Priv is profitable then I would expect a touch screen android would be next, as at that point Chen can just use the Priv as the blue print for such a dive. Remove the keyboard and finish up by closing the back of the device. I imagine that the touch screen device would have the same internals as the Priv.
    Makes sense to me except that BlackBerry takes so long to develop a new phone even if it is just a variation.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 02:09 PM
    Yes, Chen wants this, Chen want's that. It's all smoke and mirrors folks. He should enter politics instead of trying to revive a company that has failed consistently to adapt to the 21st Century.

The hardware devices division has been a colossal loss maker for BlackBerry. It should have been terminated years ago instead of giving it the palliative care treatment (Priv). BlackBerry should stick to enterprise mobile security and data protection services. Continually putting money into the research, development and support of mobile handsets is just pissing in the wind given just how incredibly hard it is to make a dent in the mobile landscape.
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-12-15 08:24 AM
    Well, if he wants to get sales back on track, then let's release the new Priv ASAP. I just hope they don't drag their feet getting the device to market.
    I hope its ready unike the Z10 and Playbook at launch.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-15 08:37 AM
    Yeah me too, Chen mentioned during his demo of the device that they had been testing it for a year so they should be ready.

My only concern is that with the iPhone 6s, Galaxy S6 and Note 5 launches going well, by the time they decide to release the Priv, their potential customers will have lost interest.

In the consumer electronics business it's the early bird who gets the worm and ones who drag their feet get whats left over which in most cases results in dismal sales.
    10-13-15 08:42 AM
    I hope its ready unike the Z10 and Playbook at launch.
    Given how "well" BBM works on iOS and Android, after a year of development, what do you think are the chances of BB getting the Hub and the rest of the BB Experience Apps finished by Priv launch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-13-15 08:51 AM
    Given how "well" BBM works on iOS and Android, after a year of development, what do you think are the chances of BB getting the Hub and the rest of the BB Experience Apps finished by Priv launch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    But I expect that the BlackBerry Experience will be an Experience that many will just as soon uninstall if that is an option. I keep checking the BBM reviews on Android and iOS and performance impact seems to still be an issue. To be honest, I've kinda wondered how BB10 might have been improved if we could have uninstalled BBM....

But so far as much as we have seen... the BlackBerry Experience hasn't really been showcased. Originally it was suppose to be a stand alone product, and I assume it still will be. But Chen hasn't shown it or talked about it, so you do have to wonder where it is in development process.... Maybe it's all BES related and these preview units haven't had a BES Account?
    10-13-15 12:42 PM
    10 million if he has to continue to pay to develop BB10. 5 million if he can shut down BB10 development.

It seems pretty straightforward. He wasn't off by 100%. There' s significant cost savings using Android.
    10-13-15 12:59 PM
    Yeah me too, Chen mentioned during his demo of the device that they had been testing it for a year so they should be ready.

My only concern is that with the iPhone 6s, Galaxy S6 and Note 5 launches going well, by the time they decide to release the Priv, their potential customers will have lost interest.

In the consumer electronics business it's the early bird who gets the worm and ones who drag their feet get whats left over which in most cases results in dismal sales.
    I don't think that's the issue here because BB is targeting a niche market anyway; aka, they will not really be competing with the average 13 year old girl begging her parents to buy her the new iPhone, you know?

Blackberry wants Priv buyers to be people interested in security/privacy, users who still like physical keyboards (no one ever discusses this, but older folks like my Grandma in their 60's and up, while probably not a large demographic for smartphones, do seem to prefer normal, physical keyboards); hackers, nerds, people like me who use a VPN on their damn phone...in short, weirdos, lol. That's BlackBerry's market.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:15 PM
    I don't think that's the issue here because BB is targeting a niche market anyway; aka, they will not really be competing with the average 13 year old girl begging her parents to buy her the new iPhone, you know?

Blackberry wants Priv buyers to be people interested in security/privacy, users who still like physical keyboards (no one ever discusses this, but older folks like my Grandma in their 60's and up, while probably not a large demographic for smartphones, do seem to prefer normal, physical keyboards); hackers, nerds, people like me who use a VPN on their damn phone...in short, weirdos, lol. That's BlackBerry's market.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that is part of the problem with blackberry. They are only trying to get a small niche market. If they would try and get the "13" year old girls wanting their phone, they would begin to take market share. It wouldn't take off quickly, but teens grow up to be adults. If you can get a segment using your product at a young age, I think you are more apt to keep them as they grow older.
    Last edited by Dougie011; 10-15-15 at 10:13 PM.
    10-15-15 08:41 PM
    He went from 10mil goalpost to 5. They still managed to move 800k smartphones last quarter - if having Android as an OS can increase that pitiful number by a little more than 50% / quarter (1.25 million) he'd hit it.

I think he's setting the bar as low as it can go.
    What's left?

Passport, Priv and Leap.

Majority high end devices with higher margin than fire-sale Z10s, Q5s, Z3s and the first gen BB10 ones. Leap won't sell that much either. So it's Passport and Priv.

I do understand you will need to probably sell two Leaps to make what you're making on a Priv or PP. So 10 mill down to 5 isn't that weird or farfetched...

:-D

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    10-16-15 05:50 AM
    What's left?

Passport, Priv and Leap.

Majority high end devices with higher margin than fire-sale Z10s, Q5s, Z3s and the first gen BB10 ones. Leap won't sell that much either. So it's Passport and Priv.

I do understand you will need to probably sell two Leaps to make what you're making on a Priv or PP. So 10 mill down to 5 isn't that weird or farfetched...

:-D

•   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   •
    Classic....

To be honest, I expect production to end on some of the newer BB10 devices. As I imagine the end of the BB10 platform is going to gut BB10 sales to both enterprise and the few consumers that were buying. As there aren't that many enterprise customers that bought into BB10 100%, I think very quickly you'll see purchasing of BB10 devices drop significantly.

The thing is 5 million is just a number... what Chen is looking at is how much profit does he expect to make off of each PRIV sold. Say it's $300 a phone, that would be $1.5 Billion. The problem with the Android platform is that flagship phones don't hold their value for long, because someone else will release a different flagship every two months. So if Chen "plans" to hold his prices, but is forced to change them by the market... that 5 Million number could also change.

The thing is I'm not sure if HTC and Samsung are who Chen sees as competition... or if it BlackPhone and KNOX devices. Cause these are two different markets.... BlackPhone and KNOX are more expensive products who's prices don't vary, but they don't appeal or sell to consumers. HTC and Samsung sell to consumers, but even they are having to mark down their flagship products in order to compete. I think Chen want to sell to both markets, I'm just not sure BlackBerry is in a position to do that. The security market will need to to test what BlackBerry has "created", and they'll want some assurances about life cycle..... that I'm not sure a nine month deadline offers. Consumer market.... wants better and cheaper, better and cheaper, better and cheaper...... PRIV is a OK device today - depending on it's finial price point. But how will it compare in three months, what about six months?
    10-16-15 09:18 AM
    I think his goal is to have Samsung etc take over the hand set business and make some money from the software and PKB or other designs. Maybe it would be a partnership so as to share design costs and manufacturing. You see this in the auto industry. So far no other partner or buyer has seen any value in either BlackBerry designs or software. Chen is not a hardware guy and he has no passion for the business, especially the consumer side.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:26 AM
37 12