10-01-15 03:51 PM
126 12345 ...
tools
    Oh yea monolithic kernels are great when one rubbish "supported" app takes down the entire os and crashes the device.
    In practice you do have to reboot BB10 phones. The devices actually do crash. Sometimes you even need to security wipe them. Even updates often require security wipes.

On the other hand, I kill apps on my android phone all the time without rebooting.

So the theoretical difference here doesn't seem to present in practice in any way that I've actually ever seen on a real device. I can't tell any difference between BB10 and Android with respect to reboots or killing rogue apps. Can you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 10:45 AM
    Still sitting on $3 billion and can't figure out how to leverage that to get a toe into the app market.
    Can't figure out how to get that sticker tag next to Google Play, iStore and Amazon Store.

Nobody with vision in BlackBerry?
    Claim you have the best OS and the most secure OS and can't relay that into wins on 2nd/3rd party docs?
    Go ask Microsoft about Windows Mobile app development, throwing cash at a problem is not going to solve everything. Blackberry is at the point that have to be very careful how they spend their money because they go crazy spending cash there will be no blackberry left. Keep in mind overall blackberry is still losing money and thus they need to keep that cash on hand to keep the company afloat.
    southlander likes this.
    09-26-15 10:46 AM
    Clearly no and they aren't going to spend anymore money finding out.
    to be honest they didn't even try.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-26-15 01:54 PM
    I agree 100% and yes I will miss OS10, but if the decision to go the Android route will sell devices and keep the hardware division alive, then so be it. I am buying two of them as soon as they are available.

What everyone fails to see is that the device will still have the Blackberry name on it and be a niche device with features that other Android devices don't have and thats good enough for me.
    you copy and paste your comments don't you? only this time you're going be the "first to buy" TWO of these. good for you bruh.

also, the ROM they're using will be available to other android phones so not sure what you think the "Perv" will have that others won't besides a slider kb.
    Last edited by extisis; 09-26-15 at 02:26 PM.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-26-15 01:55 PM
    Still sitting on $3 billion and can't figure out how to leverage that to get a toe into the app market.
    Can't figure out how to get that sticker tag next to Google Play, iStore and Amazon Store.

Nobody with vision in BlackBerry?
    Claim you have the best OS and the most secure OS and can't relay that into wins on 2nd/3rd party docs?
    Don't know how he can or could do any of that. It isn't as simple as spending money. They already tried that before him.
    09-26-15 01:58 PM
    Go ask Microsoft about Windows Mobile app development, throwing cash at a problem is not going to solve everything. Blackberry is at the point that have to be very careful how they spend their money because they go crazy spending cash there will be no blackberry left. Keep in mind overall blackberry is still losing money and thus they need to keep that cash on hand to keep the company afloat.
    Exactly.
    09-26-15 01:59 PM
    It's too little too late. Blackerry now going to android will be the final nail in the coffin. Sad to see they had such great talent but at the same time made so many idiotic moves. (like Nortel) Blackberry had so many chances and blew them all. The priv isn't going to be a Knight in shining armor to revive their hardware sales slump. Certainly not in the consumer market, the name has long been tainted.

Blackberry has shown time and time again they like to abandon hardware and shrug their shoulders, while the customer is left with junk!
    Left with junk? According to many here their phones work fine and will continue to. So why is yours junk?
    09-26-15 02:00 PM
    I'm sorry. I fail to see how did Chen ruin the device and OS? BlackBerry made a large number of missteps under Mike & Jim and Thorston. They lead to the OS and brand name being what they are today. Chen's trying to steer the ship back. And if you'd take emotion out of it, you'd see what he's doing is the only way to save the hardware division. They only sold 800 000 units last quarter. Are you proposing that he keeps selling just BlackBerry 10 until that number hits zero?

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't Thor, Mike and Jim have been long gone way before BB10. It is and has always been apps. Plain and simple.

Perhaps an android phone from them is too late also but who knows.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-26-15 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Was = wasn't
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-26-15 02:05 PM
    Ok i understand that, but why not use old hardware seen on Classic or Passport to create a BB10 slider? After all the BB10 runs smoothly on that type of hardware and i don't think BB10 fans complaint about that. Get things done it's our top priority, not gaming.
    Nobody wants to buy a new phone with 4 year old hardware.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    09-26-15 02:11 PM
    Get things done it's our top priority, not gaming.
    For crying out loud. Apps are not about gaming.

I have over a hundred apps on my device and only 4 of them are games.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 02:17 PM
    In practice you do have to reboot BB10 phones. The devices actually do crash. Sometimes you even need to security wipe them. Even updates often require security wipes.

On the other hand, I kill apps on my android phone all the time without rebooting.

So the theoretical difference here doesn't seem to present in practice in any way that I've actually ever seen on a real device. I can't tell any difference between BB10 and Android with respect to reboots or killing rogue apps. Can you?

nice try. but you have to kill them because they always stay open in the background whether you like it or not. one of the many wonders of droid OS.
    Blacklatino and Q10Bold like this.
    09-26-15 02:24 PM

nice try. but you have to kill them because they always stay open in the background whether you like it or not. one of the many wonders of droid OS.
    In my own situation running one android app (Skype) I find it's the only app I can't seem to kill from Device Manager. The only ways to kill it are a restart (I do many because I almost never charge my phone preferring to always replace my low battery with a fully charged one) or if I plug into Link and create a backup. A backup always kills the android runtime, thankfully, probably as a security step.
    09-26-15 03:09 PM
    The frustrating fact is that BlackBerry made little effort to push their recent BB10 hardware. No billboards, not ads in magazines, nothing. Nobody knew anything about them except for those diehards he eludes to. Of course he only sold 800,000 handsets. Nobody knows they still make phones. The slap in the face will be all the marketing capital that will be given to the Priv (still horrible name).

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and FalkirkEagle like this.
    09-26-15 03:50 PM
    In my own situation running one android app (Skype) I find it's the only app I can't seem to kill from Device Manager. The only ways to kill it are a restart (I do many because I almost never charge my phone preferring to always replace my low battery with a fully charged one) or if I plug into Link and create a backup. A backup always kills the android runtime, thankfully, probably as a security step.
    I was referring to the android phone you were speaking of. Not bb. Although it acts the same way on BB10, naturally.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 03:59 PM
    Sorry not you, the guy I responded to originally, said android phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 04:00 PM
    If this works with Priv, and BlackBerry can thrive on the niche of users who want either a keyboard device, or better security - or both - then Chen was the right man all along and it was the right move.

It took me awhile to realize this, but beyond just enjoying a PKB and the overall flow of BB10, I think I love BlackBerry for being essentially a libertarian company with ideals that matter to me, like privacy. As long as that's their commitment, I am very happy to use a BB Android phone - after my Q and Z30 lose appeal or functionality.

When you really delve into a company like Apple or Google, you see their goals and aspirations (especially Google), read quotes from Kevin Kelly and his ilk, read about the "Hive mind" mentality they instill and authors like kurzweil who have worked closely with Google...you get a better appreciation for what BlackBerry represents in this day and age.

Maybe using Android is going to the dark side, but hell, if it's even slightly more secure and I can use a VPN on it, and BB features like the Hub and BBM, it's hard to be disappointed. Especially if it helps save the company.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 04:11 PM
    Sorry not you, the guy I responded to originally, said android phone.

Posted via CB10
    I was just passing on my limited experience with android apps and the runtime. I agree with you that you can't easily close the android apps; they stay running. The only ways I've found to close them are a restart or by the process of making a backup.
    extisis likes this.
    09-26-15 04:17 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    And you miss more ram or a better GPU?

I'm talking about hardware because BlackBerry don't have resources to create drivers, that's what i said, and for most of the BB10 fans use hardware from the Passport for example would be enough to create a BB10 Priv.
    09-26-15 04:29 PM
    Nobody wants to buy a new phone with 4 year old hardware.
    BlackBerry don't have resources to produce drivers for the best hardware, what do you prefer? Have a BB10 Priv or not have it?
    09-26-15 04:30 PM
    That's really not necessary to kill all background apps in 5.x or even 4.4. Android does a good job of spinning up processes as needed. It's not necessarily, or even helpful, in iOS either, but people do it. I have no idea why, other than people think these are PC's or something. But even that doesn't make sense.

What I was addressing is the dream that micro kernels allow you to restart things like networking or other pieces if they crash. Or that they allow inflight updates to services without restarting the phone. All nice in theory, but the reality is you cannot actually update BB10 without a restart, and in many cases the recommended wiping of the entire disk as well.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    09-26-15 04:39 PM
    ...but the reality is you cannot actually update BB10 without a restart, and in many cases the recommended wiping of the entire disk as well.

you had me until this... for the last several updates i haven't needed to do any of that.
    09-26-15 04:42 PM
    you had me until this... for the last several updates i haven't needed to do any of that.
    My passport has been in a drawer for some time. But are you saying you can install OS updates without restarting now? That's cool, actually.

09-26-15 05:26 PM
    Ok this makes sense now. In essence it's another expense that Blackberry wouldn't need to incur in large amounts if they transitioned from BB10 to a Android OS?

Posted via CB10
    Thats why we have the Leap and Classic

Posted via PP
    09-26-15 06:01 PM
    I'm super happy to get the BlackBerry Priv,its the same great BlackBerry but has Android Apps built in,thats the best news ever because I'm sick of sideloading Apk's lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 06:10 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    For crying out loud, enjoy your slider and see how well BlackBerry does with it. If it is a failure, and I think it will be, than you and all you Android evangelists were 100% wrong and Android is a race to the bottom. And your Hail Mary that needed to be a 50 yard fly pattern was a 15 yard out with the clock running out!

Posted via Z30
    extisis likes this.
    09-26-15 06:27 PM
126 12345 ...