06-05-14 09:54 PM
55 123
tools
    Saying how many Fortune 500 companies simply use a particular mobile O/S is meaningless. How many use the iPhone as their primary mobile phones? How many use Blackberry as their primary business phone? That would be much more telling. I'd also be curious to know how many are BYOD devices and how many are company owned.
    06-03-14 07:35 AM
    my company is in the top 500 and there are some iphone because some managers wanted for real an iphone and ipad but most are on blackberry and nokia lumia with bes 10 and 5. So I think if there is just one iphone under 1000 users than they are used in that company
    06-03-14 07:39 AM
    Absolutely. Years ago, there were concerns with security, concerns with managability and concerns with some OS deficiencies. Now, those have pretty much gone away for most companies and iOS is the go-to app platform.

We are a BYOD company (fortune 500) and we can use whatever we want. BlackBerry 10 works fine for day-to-day but I have absolutely run into issues where there's a mobile app for iOS that isn't on BlackBerry 10. Concur Travel comes to mind, but there are others.
    That's certainly been my experience with several clients. BYOD yes but don't expect to have use of a professional or company-developed app on BBOS/BB10 or even Android. Not only has iOS gained acceptance in the business world, there is also a clear migration towards iOS in many key industries where specialized apps are used and developed only for use on iOS (iPad or iPhone or both).
    allengeorge likes this.
    06-03-14 09:59 AM
    That's certainly been my experience with several clients. BYOD yes but don't expect to have use of a professional or company-developed app on BBOS/BB10 or even Android. Not only has iOS gained acceptance in the business world, there is also a clear migration towards iOS in many key industries where specialized apps are used and developed only for use on iOS (iPad or iPhone or both).
    With Apple you had a known OS and known form factors - it made it very easy for companies to standardize their Apps. With BBOS, App were not the OS's strong suite and most every update broke an app. With Android, the update cycles are very sporadic based on the OEM and the carrier and what they felt was necessary. Never mind all of the form factors and different device capabilities.

And in most cases we are talking about iPads... I've seen them in retail locations like a jewelry store that creates custom jewelry on an iPad and then "prints" it. I've seen them in the medical field from Doctor and Dentist office to nurses in the ER Room. And many industries are now using them from Service technicians that use them to pull up equipment manuals, create invoices and process credit cards to plant managers the can interface with process equipment to make changes. iOS may not be the most powerful mobile OS, but it is a known device that has plenty of developer support!
    techvisor and allengeorge like this.
    06-03-14 10:12 AM
    It's just a careful worded statement. Apple is really good at the psychological aspect of business. Seems to be working as it made you think that they are dominating
    It's just really good spin. BlackBerry could do more of it. Alec Saunders was pretty good at it actually, but wish John Chen and others did more also.

Tim Cook does the same thing when he carefully talks about the number of iOS devices ever shipped or the number of iTunes accounts there are. He usually places the comments strategically so the press will inevitably translate the number of "devices shipped" incorrectly into "Apple's iOS users" (even though many of those devices aren't still in use) or "active iTunes accounts" (even though many have never made a purchase or not in a long time).

It's actually pretty brilliant at making Apple's gigantic userbase seem even bigger than it really is
    sickyute likes this.
    06-03-14 12:17 PM
    With Apple you had a known OS and known form factors - it made it very easy for companies to standardize their Apps. With BBOS, App were not the OS's strong suite and most every update broke an app. With Android, the update cycles are very sporadic based on the OEM and the carrier and what they felt was necessary. Never mind all of the form factors and different device capabilities.

And in most cases we are talking about iPads... I've seen them in retail locations like a jewelry store that creates custom jewelry on an iPad and then "prints" it. I've seen them in the medical field from Doctor and Dentist office to nurses in the ER Room. And many industries are now using them from Service technicians that use them to pull up equipment manuals, create invoices and process credit cards to plant managers the can interface with process equipment to make changes. iOS may not be the most powerful mobile OS, but it is a known device that has plenty of developer support!
    Limited number of models and screen resolutions to develop for is a huge bonus too. That's why I cringe every time I read a post that BBRY "must" have a slider model, a large touchscreen model, a combo 1040 touch/keyboard model, a 1:1 model, etc. Paradox of choice leads to "uh, I'll just stick with peanut butter and jelly for my sammich, please".
    06-03-14 01:38 PM
    Probably they are talking about devices,BB about BES servers!

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:53 PM
    I work for Coca Cola and we use android.
    06-03-14 02:00 PM
    As long as you have BYOD that allows an iphone in the network, this is true but also not really accurate at the same time. He carefully wordsmithed the statement to say USE and NOT buy. Apple does not have a secure enterprise solution. It depends on other third party solutions to integrate them.
    06-03-14 09:16 PM
    This is absolutely no different than what BlackBerry says about their products. Just because it is installed, or because some users have the device, doesn't mean 100% is all BlackBerry. BlackBerry could have 98%, Android could have 98%, AND iOS have 98% of fortune 500 companies, and all could be true.

Keep in mind that BlackBerry doesn't offer a tablet, and for Enterprise the iPad is the go to tablet device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-04-14 07:21 AM
    Also of note, Apple targeting Enterprise for the first time is bad for Bb10 sales, not necessarily for BB. BlackBerry is moving to the software services realm. Less dependent on hardware. As long as BES12 And beyond do well, BlackBerry can be completely fine.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    06-04-14 07:23 AM
    Also of note, Apple targeting Enterprise for the first time is bad for Bb10 sales, not necessarily for BB. BlackBerry is moving to the software services realm. Less dependent on hardware. As long as BES12 And beyond do well, BlackBerry can be completely fine.
    I agree that a company could survive on BES alone... if hardware can not be made profitable.

Just not the current BlackBerry, with "Services" only accounting for about $550 Million in revenues - how much of that is BES license fees, how much is BIS license fees, how much are other services. And where are the profit margins these days?

They still have a lot of "shrinking" pains to go through for MDM alone to support the company.
    allengeorge likes this.
    06-04-14 08:30 AM
    I agree that a company could survive on BES alone... if hardware can not be made profitable.

Just not the current BlackBerry, with "Services" only accounting for about $550 Million in revenues - how much of that is BES license fees, how much is BIS license fees, how much are other services. And where are the profit margins these days?

They still have a lot of "shrinking" pains to go through for MDM alone to support the company.
    Very true but they won't be just an MDM company. They are finally going to leverage the NOC to do a lot more. They also have their cross platform solutions growing (BBM is only the first) and their in car solutions. Once they transition more to Foxconn you will see total revenue go way down but also expenses and write offs should disappear. Should be a much better mix for them starting quite soon.
    06-04-14 08:46 AM
    This is absolutely no different than what BlackBerry says about their products. Just because it is installed, or because some users have the device, doesn't mean 100% is all BlackBerry. BlackBerry could have 98%, Android could have 98%, AND iOS have 98% of fortune 500 companies, and all could be true.

Keep in mind that BlackBerry doesn't offer a tablet, and for Enterprise the iPad is the go to tablet device.
    But the fact of the matter is that there has always been an expectation at least on this forum and among BBRY fans/users/boosters and even the media that in Fortune 500 companies, because of the presumably absolute requirement for BB-level security at those companies, "unsecure" "toys" like iOS devices would be the exception and not the rule. If 98% of Fortune 500 companies do indeed use iOS devices (iPad/iPhone), it bodes ill for BBRY at least at the device level because it undermines and dispells the notion that has been created and perpetuated by BBRY executives that for serious business, BBRY is the only or at least dominant smartphone choice.

Therefore while, yes, 98% of Fortune 500 companies could potentially have iOS, BB10 and Android users/devices, the longstanding image of BBRY being the exclusive choice for leaders like the President of the United States and the leaders of the world's largest businesses has effectively been shattered.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-04-14 09:43 AM
    Therefore while, yes, 98% of Fortune 500 companies could potentially have iOS, BB10 and Android users/devices, the longstanding image of BBRY being the exclusive choice for leaders like the President of the United States and the leaders of the world's largest businesses has effectively been shattered.
    For people who have been paying attention and aren't in denial, this "shattering" happened 2-3 years ago. At the time, I was still doing a lot of corporate work, and iPhones and especially iPads were everywhere in most big corporations. Enterprises that were initially against the iPhone could fight off demands for it with other phones (often BBs), but once the iPad was released, and senior managers and execs started bringing them to work and demanding that they be allowed on the network, that resistance quickly melted away. And with more and more custom, niche, professional iPad apps that are fully integrated into many workflows, changing over to anything else will not be easy. And I'm saying this as an Android guy - the iPad is arguably what "won" the Enterprise for iOS, and once iOS could be supported for iPads, then support for iPhones was more-or-less a given.
    06-04-14 10:39 AM
    You know "in 98% of Fortune 500" means there must be at least 1 iOS device in 98% of the Fortune 500
    so we're at 490 iOS devices minimum - and voila that's how easy media bends those numbers.

You know what? My own Red Z10 does show up in the statistics too! I'm in 0.2% of the Fortune 500!!!! Hooray.

“Never trust any statistics that you didn’t forge yourself.”

Have a nice day!
    smart548 likes this.
    06-04-14 10:41 AM
    Would love to see some actual sources that show they actually have 98% of fortune 500 companies using iOS... Sounds quite high a figure even for Apple. If Apple would only show where they get some of what they spew out? lol
    There's probably qualifiers in that figure that they're not mentioning as well. Such as iOS may not be exclusively used in those same organizations.

Nonetheless, with all the emphasis on security and spying lately, it's an opportunity that BlackBerry needs to seize and control.
    06-04-14 10:48 AM
    I know here in the Auto industry that they are using Android devices and some of the supplier's are still using BlackBerry so where they come of with the 98% figure is beyond me.

Sent from my lovely Q10 on T Mobile USA
    06-04-14 11:34 AM
    So you don't think a company can use more than 1 device and how should these companies manage their devices????????
    06-04-14 11:43 AM
    Probably he means that 98% of all fortune 500 companies have at least one iOS device officially on the network. Not that 98% of fortune 500 are standardizing on iOS

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 12:01 PM
    As a BlackBerry shareholder I really hope that iOS has that 98%.. it means that the vast majority of that % is managed by BES10.

Posted via CB10
    Actually that may not be the case. Apple also announced it's own management tool for their phones.

This looks FREEEEEE. Bad news if your a stock holder.

Apple - iOS 8 - Enterprise
    New tools to manage books and PDFs.
    iBooks, ePub, and PDF documents can now be automatically pushed to user devices using mobile device management (MDM) tools, so users always have what they need. When the materials are no longer necessary, they can be removed remotely.

Data management and content filtering.
    IT departments can control which apps can open documents downloaded from enterprise domains using Safari. They can also set up rules for controlling which apps can open documents from iCloud Drive. A new networking framework in iOS 8 makes it possible for third-party networking developers to create powerful content-filtering tools.

More powerful device management capabilities.
    New MDM tools help IT administrators see and do more with the iOS devices they manage. They can set the device name remotely and prevent users from adding their own restrictions or erasing their devices. New queries let administrators see the last time a device was backed up to iCloud so they know whether its safe to perform certain tasks. A new remote management UI makes enrolling and understanding the impact of MDM easier and more transparent for users. MDM also enables IT staff to help users authenticate to enterprise apps using certificate-based single sign-on.

Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback.
    With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organizations network. Which means you can present or share your work even if youre offline or the organization has a complex network.
    06-04-14 12:30 PM

I suspect that's Chen's plan. Segregate the businesses so they can be looked at closely, enhanced, adjusted or lobbed off.

If the handheld business doesn't get turned around, I could easily see BlackBerry becoming a 700 person BBM, QNX, BES company with no hardware.

I hate to see people lose their jobs and want to see more BB10 releases and hardware, but it's entirely possible that the scenario above could happen

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 12:39 PM
    Apple also announced it's own management tool for their phones.

This looks FREEEEEE. Bad news if your a stock holder.
    Who knows how comprehensive and secure this Apple enterprise solution is. However, it does bring up a strategic issue for companies in the MDM market - if Apple can make a ton of money on the mobile hardware then they might be able to offer the MDM services for free. Sure, they might not be that far along with their solution, however, nothing is stopping them from acquiring one of these medium or large-sized MDM companies.

Apple spent $3B on Beats. It's not hard to imagine that they could spend a little more to buy Blackberry (market cap $4.09B), shut down or sell the hardware, keep or sell the patents, sell QNX, and keep BES.
    06-04-14 12:48 PM
    Who knows how comprehensive and secure this Apple enterprise solution is. However, it does bring up a strategic issue for companies in the MDM market - if Apple can make a ton of money on the mobile hardware then they might be able to offer the MDM services for free. Sure, they might not be that far along with their solution, however, nothing is stopping them from acquiring one of these medium or large-sized MDM companies.

Apple spent $3B on Beats. It's not hard to imagine that they could spend a little more to buy Blackberry (market cap $4.09B), shut down or sell the hardware, keep or sell the patents, sell QNX, and keep BES.
    That is true. 1 Billion $$ isn't what it use to be. I don't think Apple really cares about managing any android or BB or windows phones.
    06-04-14 01:37 PM
    But the fact of the matter is that there has always been an expectation at least on this forum and among BBRY fans/users/boosters and even the media that in Fortune 500 companies, because of the presumably absolute requirement for BB-level security at those companies, "unsecure" "toys" like iOS devices would be the exception and not the rule. If 98% of Fortune 500 companies do indeed use iOS devices (iPad/iPhone), it bodes ill for BBRY at least at the device level because it undermines and dispells the notion that has been created and perpetuated by BBRY executives that for serious business, BBRY is the only or at least dominant smartphone choice.

Guys, look, if a company builds their iOS app in-house, they need to activate an iOS device, that's what makes the number so high. In my company, the number of iPhone users (daily driver) is at the grand total of 4, with BlackBerry 10 usage at about 2 (me included) and everybody else uses Android.

These days high profile companies usually have mobile app, either iOS or Android. In order to develop that, they either do it in-house or outsource it. Considering that if you outsource you can potentially leak sensitive data or security vulnerabilities, companies would surely just do it in-house.

BlackBerry claimed that they're the daily drivers enterprise should use. Apple didn't say that. Apple merely says that a bunch of companies have activated either an iPhone or an iPad or both. For all they care, those devices could be burned in ritual fire after the companies are done with them and they'll still "count"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-04-14 01:51 PM
55 123