06-16-14 06:46 AM
253 ... 7891011
tools
    If Blackberry kept BlackBerry 10 as an enterprise only end to end solution and did a joint venture with Foxconn producing a range of android only handsets, using BB10 UI elements and full Google Play access simultaneously sold to their relevant markets, would you still be unhappy with these options?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I don't think I would stay. It would only further fracture the brand, the internal software development, further hurt BB10 software development from 3rd parties, and divert the company's focus further. They would have to invest time and resources to the Skin of the Android version. They would have to start paying Microsoft royalties on every Android Berry phone sold. It would make them another me too OEM and wouldn't bring then any additional sales IMHO. They need to make BB10 work, or get out of the business. I want BlackBerry to stay BlackBerry. If they don't just to survive, then why buy the products? I'm not supporting them to keep Canada or Waterloo economies going.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    tinochiko likes this.
    06-01-14 09:30 AM
    It would make them another me too OEM and wouldn't bring then any additional sales IMHO. They need to make BB10 work, or get out of the business.
    BlackBerry has proved that if an OEM creates a mobile operating system from the ground up WITHOUT billions of dollars for development, advertising, marketing, promotion, sales training, incentives, major app development, support, migration, media relations, etc...it's destined to fail. They tried to make BlackBerry 10 work but were in way over their heads.

This is why other manufacturers (with the exception of Samsung) don't create their own operating systems.
    Witmen and JeepBB like this.
    06-01-14 10:34 AM
    If Blackberry kept BlackBerry 10 as an enterprise only end to end solution...
    Isn't BES moving towards becoming platform agnostic? If so, then an Android Blackberry would still offer an end-to-end solution, eventually. There isn't going to be much profit in developing Android hardware, however, its better than losing tons of money on hardware which is what Blackberry is doing right now. Ultimately, John Chen will look to value-added end-to-end enterprise deployments to make the hardware worthwhile - with Android.
    06-01-14 11:54 AM
    BlackBerry has proved that if an OEM creates a mobile operating system from the ground up WITHOUT billions of dollars for development, advertising, marketing, promotion, sales training, incentives, major app development, support, migration, media relations, etc...it's destined to fail. They tried to make BlackBerry 10 work but were in way over their heads.

This is why other manufacturers (with the exception of Samsung) don't create their own operating systems.
    Why have you already written it off? As far as we are aware development on BB10 is continuing. New phones continue to be scheduled for release. 10.2 just got an update and 10.3 is slated to come out this fall.

People have been claiming BlackBerry is dead for years. And yet they are still here. It's this constant negative of 'BlackBerry is dead', 'this is why they've failed ' and referring to them and bb10 in the past tense that's so very frustrating about this site.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 11:57 AM

Palm proved those things even before BlackBerry did.

WebOS was widely considered the best mobile operating system around. Did people care though? Nope. It still failed. Being the "best" doesn't mean all that much now that all smartphone platforms do everything pretty much well enough.
    06-01-14 12:46 PM
    After some consideration, I would be happy to use Qwerty BlackBerry that ran Windows Phone if it replaced BlackBerry 10. While I have used Linux since the 90s, Android fails to impress me. Windows Phone has nice integration with Microsoft cloud and desktop products, which "just work". I much prefer the BlackBerry work flow (honestly, BlackBerry OS7 has a faster work flow for media sharing than BlackBerry 10), but windows phone isn't awful now.

- Disco Trooper CB10Z10
    06-01-14 01:57 PM
    Meh, as you said, these are FANS, many of whom seem to have a deep emotional commitment to BB10 that often seems to go beyond reason.

If you happen to be one of those fans convinced that BB10 is better than sliced-bread, then dropping it is both heresy and inexplicable. I still see posts on here from people convinced that BB10 is after 18 months of poor sales suddenly going to gain traction, and they seem to be waiting for the world in general to catch on to how great BB10 is. BB10's superiority is obvious to them, so it just *must* be a matter of time before folk realise and start to buy.

I think it's folly not to consider Android in place of BB10, at least for consumer markets, but... Maybe I'm not enough of a fan... ?
    Seriously? Be realistic. There is no money in android! Samsung makes money selling android. Who else does? And why would someone buy an android device made by BlackBerry when they can just buy a frigging Samsung? I want BlackBerry to keep blackberry 10 because that is their only shot! If they go android they may as well shut the doors and close the company down. Bb10 has had poor sales for three big reasons. Let's take a look:

1. Missing features from bbos.
    2. Lack of apps.
    3. **** poor marketing.

Each new release of the OS is addressing #1 and #2. More and more android apps are becoming compatible and more and more legacy features are making their way back.

The marketing is the last piece they need to nail once they completely fix #1 and 2.

You saying that they should just go android and give up would be no different then telling MS back in the day to just give up on Windows phone. Good thing they did not because they are finally getting somewhere. And before you point to Nokia x, that decision was made before MS bought Nokia.

And to answer your original question, yes, I would rather see BlackBerry go broke selling bb10 then to go android, because I know for sure they will go broke selling crappy android.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 02:47 PM
    And over in Korea the nice people at Samsung are trying to find a way to divest themselves of android? Why you ask? Because there is no money in it for them! They make money on whatever profit a device sale yields. That s it! No service revenue, no customer for life. Why no customer for life? Because there is no differentiating feature. Android lovers will just buy whatever flavour of the month android phone tickles their fancies.

I'm sure it pains people like troy to hear this because they think android is the cats ****, but sadly it isn't. It's just a commodity. Android will be the doers of their own demise for this very reason. Eventually their oha partners will abandon them in favor of their own OS. Once native apps die off on mobile like they have on the desktop and everything moves to the browser the playing field will even up for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 03:07 PM
    Seriously? Be realistic. There is no money in android! Samsung makes money selling android. Who else does?
    LG, Huawei, ZTE, just to name a few. Sure, Samsung is dominating the Android market, but they are not the only company to profit from it. Even HTC, who on paper have been losing money on a whole, are seeing their most revenue from Android smartphone sales (and if it weren't for their heavy investments on future gambles, would be doing much better).

Not "every" Android OEM other than Samsung is struggling. There are plenty that are doing just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    06-01-14 03:15 PM
    I think they should work on making lot more native apps than actually make a android phone. Why what's the point? Is so despicable to even ponder on that idea for too long. Let Samsung and others stick to there android thing we have something that unique and different. Just work on a kick *** phone to smash all those garbage in the dumpster where they belong. Original core BlackBerry fanatic

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    06-01-14 03:57 PM
    I think they should work on making lot more native apps than actually make a android phone. Why what's the point? Is so despicable to even ponder on that idea for too long. Let Samsung and others stick to there android thing we have something that unique and different. Just work on a kick *** phone to smash all those garbage in the dumpster where they belong. Original core BlackBerry fanatic

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    The only problem is the general public wouldn't know about it. Most people don't even know about BB10!
    06-01-14 04:09 PM
    Yes, very passionate.

Finally, I keep reading here that nobody makes money with Android. Which confuses me as to why so many companies seem to want to make Android phones... are they all insane, and determined to throw away shareholder value then?

They are just crazy, not insane
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-01-14 04:58 PM
    I don't think I would stay. It would only further fracture the brand, the internal software development, further hurt BB10 software development from 3rd parties, and divert the company's focus further. They would have to invest time and resources to the Skin of the Android version. They would have to start paying Microsoft royalties on every Android Berry phone sold. It would make them another me too OEM and wouldn't bring then any additional sales IMHO. They need to make BB10 work, or get out of the business. I want BlackBerry to stay BlackBerry. If they don't just to survive, then why buy the products? I'm not supporting them to keep Canada or Waterloo economies going.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Or completely turn the company around.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 07:24 PM
    Seriously? Be realistic. There is no money in android! Samsung makes money selling android. Who else does? And why would someone buy an android device made by BlackBerry when they can just buy a frigging Samsung? I want BlackBerry to keep blackberry 10 because that is their only shot! If they go android they may as well shut the doors and close the company down. Bb10 has had poor sales for three big reasons. Let's take a look:

1. Missing features from bbos.
    2. Lack of apps.
    3. **** poor marketing.

Each new release of the OS is addressing #1 and #2. More and more android apps are becoming compatible and more and more legacy features are making their way back.

The marketing is the last piece they need to nail once they completely fix #1 and 2.

You saying that they should just go android and give up would be no different then telling MS back in the day to just give up on Windows phone. Good thing they did not because they are finally getting somewhere. And before you point to Nokia x, that decision was made before MS bought Nokia.

And to answer your original question, yes, I would rather see BlackBerry go broke selling bb10 then to go android, because I know for sure they will go broke selling crappy android.

Posted via CB10
    Dude they already have no sales, going android wouldn't make it worse. Also I would love an android q10 that runs htc sense lol greatest merger ever

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    06-01-14 07:26 PM
    Dude they already have no sales, going android wouldn't make it worse. Also I would love an android q10 that runs htc sense lol greatest merger ever

Posted via CB10
    They make a Q10 knockoff running Android.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    06-01-14 07:40 PM
    Actually if BlackBerry would merge with HTC or a smaller manufacturer it would compliment any Android project.
    06-01-14 07:49 PM
    And over in Korea the nice people at Samsung are trying to find a way to divest themselves of android? Why you ask? Because there is no money in it for them!
    Funny, at the beginning of the year, Samsung signed a 10-year deal with Google to put Android front-and-center on phones and tablets AND tone down TouchWiz and put Google's apps as front-facing instead of Samsung's S-apps. If Samsung wasn't making money from Android, why would they do this?
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    06-01-14 08:06 PM
    Funny, at the beginning of the year, Samsung signed a 10-year deal with Google to put Android front-and-center on phones and tablets AND tone down TouchWiz and put Google's apps as front-facing instead of Samsung's S-apps. If Samsung wasn't making money from Android, why would they do this?
    I'm sure it pained them to sign that deal. They really had no choice. It was either sign the deal, or compete directly with Google/Motorola. Funny enough, Google announced the sale of Moto to Lenovo only a couple of days later (unless my memory is fuzzy). But if they really wanted an out, I'm sure they could scrap it any time. If anyone can afford lawyers and lawsuits it's Samsung. And I stand by what I said earlier, if Samsung could get out from Android and launch Tizen with a complete eco system they would do it in a heartbeat. Which is why I laugh when I hear people begging for an Android made by Blackberry. It simply will not sell. They have a better chance (as remote as it is) with BB10. Continue to improve it and market it to enterprise. Slowly rebuild the brand starting from the bottom up. Once the company becomes profitable again they can put some focus back on key consumer markets.
    06-01-14 09:04 PM
    Of course Samsung would love to replace Android with Tizen, for one reason: they have far more control over Tizen, being a key co-owner, than with Android. Tizen is Samsung's insurance policy in case Android goes somewhere they don't want to go - when you have a multi-billion dollar business riding on someone else's software, it's good to have an alternative on the back burner, just in case.

But we all know that even Samsung would have a hell of a time trying to build an ecosystem to compete with Google Play or the Apple App Store. Despite having their S-Apps on hundreds of millions of phones, hardly anyone uses their apps, preferring Google's apps instead.

Which goes to show: the phone hardware and the OS aren't where the real value is: it's the ECOSYSTEM that matters.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-01-14 11:15 PM
    And, as if on cue, Samsung release their first Tizen phone. Maybe they read the CB forums...
    Testing the waters, I think... They're a very long way from abandoning Android.
    06-02-14 03:25 AM

Also out of the Google, Apple, Microsoft and Blackberry, BB is the only purebred phone manufacturer that makes an OS. And that is their weakness. They know how to make good phones, but terrible at an ecosystem. Every other OS has a better ecosystem of services and apps.

Apple created an ecosystem with the Macs.
    Google has the best online services deeply integrated in Android.
    Microsoft has good services and the Windows PC ecosystem.
    BB has.....a great secure phone.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-02-14 08:58 AM
    BB has.....a great secure phone.

And, general consumers don't really care that much about security given the sales figures.
    Enterprises care very much about security... presumably explaining Chen's focus there.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-02-14 09:06 AM
    And, general consumers don't really care that much about security given the sales figures.
    Enterprises care very much about security... presumably explaining Chen's focus there.
    That's one thing I like about Chen. He discovered early what the key differentiator is with BlackBerry (security) and decided to focus on that.

An BlackBerry Android with unmatched security including secure BBM is a license to print money.
    06-02-14 09:15 AM
    That's one thing I like about Chen. He discovered early what the key differentiator is with BlackBerry (security) and decided to focus on that.

An BlackBerry Android with unmatched security including secure BBM is a license to print money.
    98% of people don't care about the security of their phones (as in they are not afraid of being hacked). If they did, then whatsapp wouldn't be as popular.
    There is very little money in consumer smartphone security. The money is in enterprise security and even there people move to iPhones. Have there been any big security incidents regarding iPhone security in a large enterprise?
    Witmen likes this.
    06-02-14 09:36 AM
    There is very little money in consumer smartphone security. The money is in enterprise security
    Precisely.
    06-02-14 10:02 AM
253 ... 7891011