06-16-14 07:46 AM
253 ... 678910 ...
tools
    He can't comment, perhaps, because theirs nothing to comment about.....

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 02:48 AM
    I like BB10, but it just seems like bad business to stick with it. The BB10 experiment is so far in the red it's almost ridiculous. Chen has essentially conceded that BlackBerry cannot support its own ecosystem, so what's the point in having your own OS if you can't maintain its ecosystem? Let Google maintain the ecosystem by going full Android.

I think BlackBerry should end BB10 and have Foxconn design and produce BlackBerry branded phones running mostly vanilla Android but with some BlackBerry designed apps preinstalled. BB could focus on app design - much cheaper than OS design and support. They could design a version of balance and other business related features to run on Android. Market to businesses and give reduced phone pricing for businesses that use BES10. Employees wouldn't mind being issued a company phone if it is decent and runs full Android. The companies and governments that need ultra secure phones are too few to be the biggest concern for a multibillion dollar company like BlackBerry. They need to sell in volume.

If that experiment doesn't pan out, it would be relatively cheap to change course by exiting hardware and continue with the software/services only model, which is where they are heading anyway.
    JeepBB, Witmen and DS1331 like this.
    05-31-14 07:01 AM
    He can't comment, perhaps, because theirs nothing to comment about.....

Posted via CB10
    In that case, the simple and clear answer is, "Our BB10 phones already run Android apps. We have no plans to make actual Android phones."

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, Witmen and web99 like this.
    05-31-14 07:26 AM
    Can we all at least agree that Chen's answer wasn't great and, at the very least, he created a false rumor? At worst, it means that BlackBerry is at least considering going forward with a pure Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 07:50 AM
    At worst, it means that BlackBerry is at least considering going forward with a pure Android phone.
    I think you mean "at best". BlackBerry may soon cater to 80% of the smartphone market rather than 1%.

It's like a computer manufacturer finally creating a Windows PC rather than stubbornly sticking with Linux. They just grew their potential audience by 80 times.
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    05-31-14 09:30 AM
    And with BlackBerry having a relationship with over 150 carriers worldwide, the time to do so is now. Some Android manufacturers could only dream of a carrier presence like that.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    05-31-14 09:34 AM
    I'd rather see them just improve the runtime to be 100% compatible. Advertise the phone as being 100% compatible. Then if they gain traction and get lots of units in lots of hands they can then start working with the high end devs for native support and have it trickle down. Use Android support, not the entire OS.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    kbz1960 and LuvULongTime like this.
    05-31-14 09:43 AM
    I'd rather see them just improve the runtime to be 100% compatible. Advertise the phone as being 100% compatible.
    Problem is the general public doesn't want to download Android apps from a 3rd party. When I've told BB10 users they can download and install Amazon App Store, they either look at me funny or say something like "that's cool" and don't do it. People want a solution that's ready out of the gate. It's just the way consumers are nowadays.
    05-31-14 10:06 AM
    I think you mean "at best". BlackBerry may soon cater to 80% of the smartphone market rather than 1%.

It's like a computer manufacturer finally creating a Windows PC rather than stubbornly sticking with Linux. They just grew their potential audience by 80 times.
    I honestly think this forum has several people who would rather watch BlackBerry completely go out of business with BlackBerry 10 than see them succeed with Android.

I'm not saying they will or won't be successful with Android - I'm simply saying that it seems like there are people here that are scared that a Android powered BlackBerry would be successful and that's a really strange way for BlackBerry fans to think. Shouldn't we all want to see BlackBerry do well? Even if that meant they needed to make full on Android devices to do it?
    05-31-14 10:15 AM
    I honestly think this forum has several people who would rather watch BlackBerry completely go out of business with BlackBerry 10 than see them succeed with Android.

I'm not saying they will or won't be successful with Android - I'm simply saying that it seems like there are people here that are scared that a Android powered BlackBerry would be successful and that's a really strange way for BlackBerry fans to think. Shouldn't we all want to see BlackBerry do well? Even if that meant they needed to make full on Android devices to do it?
    Meh, as you said, these are FANS, many of whom seem to have a deep emotional commitment to BB10 that often seems to go beyond reason.

If you happen to be one of those fans convinced that BB10 is better than sliced-bread, then dropping it is both heresy and inexplicable. I still see posts on here from people convinced that BB10 is after 18 months of poor sales suddenly going to gain traction, and they seem to be waiting for the world in general to catch on to how great BB10 is. BB10's superiority is obvious to them, so it just *must* be a matter of time before folk realise and start to buy.

I think it's folly not to consider Android in place of BB10, at least for consumer markets, but... Maybe I'm not enough of a fan... ?
    Witmen likes this.
    05-31-14 10:40 AM

It's not fear of success. It's the simple fact that android is not BlackBerry. If I wanted android I already have plenty of choice. I don't want android period. Slapping a BlackBerry name on it doesn't change the fact it would be an android UI. I don't like the android UI and I'm not fond of google. I don't know why that's so hard to understand?

Posted via CB10
    dphjeff and web99 like this.
    05-31-14 10:56 AM
    I guess the question to ask, is if there is any demand for a blackberry - certified device out there. If there is, then you are leaving money on the table by not putting it out there...
    05-31-14 11:57 AM
    Funny thing is I've had no problems convincing people to install the amazon app store. I constantly read on these threads of people who don't know of any one else who has a BlackBerry. Maybe it's because I live on the west side of Vancouver in Canada in a fairly affluentecial Neighborhood ,but I know quite a few people who use Blackberries. My wife and I both have Z10's I have one Brother that has a Q10, I have 2 brothers use BlackBerry legacy devices, they use those devices because they are both senior vice presidents at a large corporation that have not upgraded to BlackBerry 10 yet, but it is my understanding that they in the process and will do so soon. I have many friends in the same boat, still using the old legacy device because that is all that they are allowed to use. There is definitely a market for Blackberries security it would be plain dumb to abandon those customers. It makes a whole lot more sense to continue making the BlackBerry 10 platform and then give that platform the ability to run Android for those who really want to.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Katika99 like this.
    05-31-14 02:36 PM
    I don't want android period. Slapping a BlackBerry name on it doesn't change the fact it would be an android UI. I don't like the android UI and I'm not fond of google.
    Android isn't primarily a UI, so that aspect could be whatever BlackBerry wants it to be. They could skin it to be as BB10-like as you please, but what they couldn't avoid is Google's data mining that's built into the OS. Obviously most people don't mind this, or Android wouldn't be the force that it is.

Whether there would be a market for such a differentiated Android is another question.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    05-31-14 04:05 PM
    I constantly read on these threads of people who don't know of any one else who has a BlackBerry. Maybe it's because I live on the west side of Vancouver in Canada in a fairly affluentecial Neighborhood ,but I know quite a few people who use Blackberries.
    Not wanting to derail the thread, but I reckon this is entirely down to where you are in the world.

Canada seems to be (unsurprisingly?) a BB10 hotspot, but a WinPhone desert (as is North America generally I think). However, where I am in the UK, just outside of the 6th largest UK city, I have still yet to see a single BB10 handset outside of a shop display, but I've seen at least a couple of dozen WinPhones (all Lumia's!) in the street/pubs/etc. At work, a large high-tech engineering company, there are a (very) few legacy BB's in use, Android/iPhone dominate, and there are a few WinPhones. My personal experience seems to match the published percentages very well actually which is why I have great faith in the Kantar/Comscore figures.

I've no idea why it should be so non-uniform across the globe. There's probably a research paper on it being written as I speak!
    05-31-14 04:51 PM
    Meh, as you said, these are FANS, many of whom seem to have a deep emotional commitment to BB10 that often seems to go beyond reason.

If you happen to be one of those fans convinced that BB10 is better than sliced-bread, then dropping it is both heresy and inexplicable. I still see posts on here from people convinced that BB10 is after 18 months of poor sales suddenly going to gain traction, and they seem to be waiting for the world in general to catch on to how great BB10 is. BB10's superiority is obvious to them, so it just *must* be a matter of time before folk realise and start to buy.

I think it's folly not to consider Android in place of BB10, at least for consumer markets, but... Maybe I'm not enough of a fan... ?
    I believe we all can agree that BlackBerries marketing sucks and has for a long time. Build it and they will come mentality hasn't worked. So what makes the last 18 months any different than the last several years. I'm still believing slapping Blackberry on an Android device isn't going to sell more devices. Even though BlackBerry devices are good business devices, relying on companies to pull them out of low sales is ridiculous. The mindset of BlackBerry devices here in the US is old people and business people use then. Do you all think Samsung and Apple is pushing there devices as a business phone? And companies have moved from Blackberry to those platforms. Blackberry needs to go where they can sale devices and not niches.
    05-31-14 05:36 PM
    I dislike Apple almost as much as Google but what other option is there. I guess one can go back to dumb phones.
    Windows Phone, Ubuntu, and Firefox are the current alternatives. If you want something better than a feature phone, but not modern, there are Palm Web OS devices out there.

Truth is though that even if BlackBerry went Android in the future, there is nothing stopping us from continuing to use our BlackBerry 10 and legacy devices, probably for a good decade or more. That's not too bad.

- Disco Trooper CB10Z10
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-31-14 06:22 PM
    Most people advocating a pure Android BlackBerry are expecting Google Play. Chances are if they did release an Android phone, they wouldn't use Google Play because they relinquish control and profits that BlackBerry World provides. It would likely be like Amazon or the Lumia Android line. So at that point, how does BB10 with Android App support differ? That's why I would be shocked to see a pure Android BlackBerry. Plus, it doesn't jive with their goal for QNX everywhere as part of the IoT.

I think they will just be marketing/pushing their Android support (as I mentioned before, it'd be like Android+). They just need to get better compatibility and performance. Imagine with their IoT push that they offer QNX for devices that includes Android app support. It'd be a slam dunk.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-31-14 07:49 PM

I think they would go out of business even faster if they switch to Android.... the core customer base would just leave...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-01-14 12:49 AM
    I think they would go out of business even faster if they switch to Android.... the core customer base would just leave...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    If they made an android phone I doubt they would stop making and supporting BlackBerry phones all together they're not that stupid

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 01:30 AM
    If they made an android phone I doubt they would stop making and supporting BlackBerry phones all together they're not that stupid
    The next upgrade cycle for Z10 owners begins in February. BlackBerry will likely have a new touchscreen by then. The replacements for the Q5 and Z30 would follow. A full Android would likely only arrive summer of 2015.

So, yeah. BlackBerry 10 wouldn't fall off the face of the earth anytime soon.
    DS1331 likes this.
    06-01-14 01:36 AM
    Truth is though that even if BlackBerry went Android in the future, there is nothing stopping us from continuing to use our BlackBerry 10 and legacy devices, probably for a good decade or more. That's not too bad.
    Actually, it very much depends on whether or not the current BB10 phones can or will be updated to support VoLTE (Voice over LTE), which is already being rolled out on a handful of phones in the US on multiple carriers, but will be standard on all new phones in 2015. By 2017-8, you can expect carriers to start shutting down legacy GSM and CDMA networks and re-farming those frequencies over to LTE. All phones that don't support VoLTE will be obsoleted by this significant change by the carriers.

In other areas of the world, this process may take a little longer, but the carriers have a huge motivation to make this happen, as LTE can use the frequencies much more efficiently and gives the carriers much more high-speed bandwidth to use and sell.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-01-14 02:29 AM

If they were to go full Android and dump BB10, I'd switch to Apple. Way better ecosystem, app catalog, retail/support/customer service, and even security. I don't have an interest in using an Android phone at this time.

If BlackBerry were to drop BB10 I would be done with the company completely. They simply would not be trusted to do anything. They have so little credibility left with me right now and that would be the final straw.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-01-14 07:21 AM
    That's scary....

Z10 white
    06-01-14 07:38 AM
    If Blackberry kept BlackBerry 10 as an enterprise only end to end solution and did a joint venture with Foxconn producing a range of android only handsets, using BB10 UI elements and full Google Play access simultaneously sold to their relevant markets, would you still be unhappy with these options?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-01-14 08:21 AM
253 ... 678910 ...