06-16-14 07:46 AM
253 ... 45678 ...
tools
    This would never catch on because no one wants BlackBerry apps when they cost money. For example I have to pay for instagram on BlackBerry world but it's free on google play store. Very few people will end up paying for security

Posted via CB10
    Instagram isn't in BlackBerry World. Only third party apps. So you can't really compare there. There's no reason why a BlackBerry app store for Android would have to have apps that cost more. BlackBerry could even undercut their rate compared to Google's to encourage adoption.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:02 PM
    Re/code Video Center | Re/code

Check out this Chen interview. He refuses to comment on whether BlackBerry will sell an Android phone.

To me this suggests that BlackBerry is building an Android phone.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Posted via CB10
    It is possible for hybrid.
    05-29-14 10:18 PM
    This would never catch on because no one wants BlackBerry apps when they cost money. For example I have to pay for instagram on BlackBerry world but it's free on google play store. Very few people will end up paying for security

Posted via CB10
    Nothing is free buddy! You think just because you didn't pay up front, your not paying for the Android apps. Just keep loading that crap on your phone and see.
    Irish Blues likes this.
    05-29-14 10:27 PM
    I think it's a veiled bias from the hosts to try to frame the conversation on getting Blackberry to quit making BB10 OS and instead go Android.

If automatically the question is whether Android smartphones will become the prime offering of Blackberry, then there will be no Blackberry. Thus, it really doesn't make sense. It is more of Blackberry will cooperate with other companies but still retain its identity and products.
    05-29-14 10:41 PM
    That makes no sense at all. Sorry beating ones wife has nothing to do with it.
    You're asking loaded questions, presuming your answer is correct without any proof.

Why not answer the question. Has JC ever promoted or defended BB10?

Because you can't.
    What is the bare minimum that JC would have to say for you to deem it an acceptable promotion or defense of BB10? When has Tim Cook ever promoted or defended iOS? Can you find any quotes where he's done so? What about Immelt and GE toasters and microwaves and light bulbs? What about Kendall Powell and various General Mills products?

If you're going to hold JC to some incredibly high standard then impose that same standard on every CEO in business. Otherwise, If you're going to be critical then try picking some points that aren't 3 counties away from left field.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-29-14 10:43 PM
    Haha not even close. Googles not going to stick there money in a sinking ship ever. And even if BlackBerry turns everything around there's a slim chance
    If Google is getting paid by Blackberry, what happens to BBRY is irrelevant from Google's POV (unless BBRY suddenly becomes a behemoth and threatens Google's survival - and no, even in a best-case scenario no one is imagining that).

If Google is the one shelling money out, ... companies do stupid things from time to time (see: Apple lobbing $3 billion at a company that makes crappy headphones) - but I largely agree with your comment.
    05-29-14 10:52 PM
    I hate the idea of using a BlackBerry that's actually an Android.

Hopefully the full qwerty devices will always remain fully BlackBerry, or at least the BlackBerry Classic.
    05-29-14 11:10 PM
    Instagram isn't in BlackBerry World. Only third party apps. So you can't really compare there. There's no reason why a BlackBerry app store for Android would have to have apps that cost more. BlackBerry could even undercut their rate compared to Google's to encourage adoption.

Posted via CB10
    How about the app from BlackBerry world that let me have 3 alarms instead of 1 that cost money. Free in the android app store built in actually. When I first got my Q10 when it came out I could only set 1 alarm at a time

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:29 PM
    Nothing is free buddy! You think just because you didn't pay up front, your not paying for the Android apps. Just keep loading that crap on your phone and see.
    Except it's not crap it's not random shady apps it's apps that make me more productive or life easier or anything, it's apps downloaded by tens of millions of people.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 11:31 PM
    How about the app from BlackBerry world that let me have 3 alarms instead of 1 that cost money. Free in the android app store built in actually. When I first got my Q10 when it came out I could only set 1 alarm at a time

Posted via CB10
    Multiple alarms are supported now and have been for a while now. BB10 was new, and it lacked a number of features. I'm talking about an app store on Android from BlackBerry that has Android apps. What you stated has no relation to why a BlackBerry App store on Android would have higher or lower prices than Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 12:30 AM
    What is the bare minimum that JC would have to say for you to deem it an acceptable promotion or defense of BB10? When has Tim Cook ever promoted or defended iOS?
    Only during every product launch he's been involved in.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-30-14 01:23 AM
    just ridiculous if he sighed slightly would you have said oh my god he sighed that means they are going to android. no comment means just that he has no comment. Get serious people. You are reading way to much into no comment. Right now he has other more important things to worry about. I cant stand ridiculous speculation over nothing. What has this world come to. Even when you say nothing people take you out of context. Get real.
    05-30-14 01:45 AM
    It is possible for hybrid.
    Since 10.2.1 BB10 essentially IS a hybrid Android/BB device.
    05-30-14 02:36 AM
    Multiple alarms are supported now and have been for a while now. BB10 was new, and it lacked a number of features. I'm talking about an app store on Android from BlackBerry that has Android apps. What you stated has no relation to why a BlackBerry App store on Android would have higher or lower prices than Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    I see a couple of possibilities. 1) They could partner with an existing 3rd party app store like 1mobile or Amazon and just have them onboard the phone at point of sale or 2) they could build their own 3rd party store. This second alternative might be attractive if they could sell it as somehow more secure.
    05-30-14 02:39 AM
    just ridiculous if he sighed slightly would you have said oh my god he sighed that means they are going to android. no comment means just that he has no comment. Get serious people. You are reading way to much into no comment. Right now he has other more important things to worry about. I cant stand ridiculous speculation over nothing. What has this world come to. Even when you say nothing people take you out of context. Get real.
    I agree with this for the most part.

where I disagree is that I think that sometimes "no comment" or other specific words could mean something...

HOWEVER, after watching the interview myself, I definitely agree it was taken way out of context.. imo he just meant "I can't speak on it", which if he would have said that wouldn't have raised any alarms at all...

but he didn't say no comment like a Greg Popovich interview or a Juror taking the 5th like he was hiding something; he said "I can't comment on it" as if to say "I don't know" or "I can't predict the future".. it's wise not to speak unnecessarily on too many things with such an uncertain future as BlackBerry has.. they wouldn't want something he said to establish a position that could make it less likely that certain potential business partners work with them.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-30-14 03:52 AM
    You're asking loaded questions, presuming your answer is correct without any proof.

What is the bare minimum that JC would have to say for you to deem it an acceptable promotion or defense of BB10? When has Tim Cook ever promoted or defended iOS? Can you find any quotes where he's done so? What about Immelt and GE toasters and microwaves and light bulbs? What about Kendall Powell and various General Mills products?

If you're going to hold JC to some incredibly high standard then impose that same standard on every CEO in business. Otherwise, If you're going to be critical then try picking some points that aren't 3 counties away from left field.
    Does general mills ever get asked if they will start using Kelloggs ingredients in their cereal? Does GE ever get asked if the are going to start using a competitors toaster coils?
    JeepBB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-30-14 07:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol I was saying nobdy would get blackberry apps because a lot of the same type of apps in the BlackBerry store cost money and are free in the android store right this moment.and yeah I was just giving an example of one of those. And you tried to be a smart *** and say BlackBerry world doesn't have instagram, if you couldn't interpret what I meant then I shouldn't even be having this conversation with you. Yeah BlackBerry world doesn't have instagram it has igram and blackgram which cost money and the free android store app does not

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 07:56 AM
    If this happens, I'll buy one. I've wanted a BlackBerry form factor with Android for a while now. Since the Bold 9650 days.

BlackBerry makes a great physical keyboard. That keyboard plus Android would be awesome for me as a companion to my Nexus 5.
    DS1331 likes this.
    05-30-14 08:43 AM
    "No comments" means "yes"...

I always hear this in interviews...
    - "Dear Superstar, did you break your relationship with that other superstar"?
    - "No comments"
    (a few days/weeks later)
    Big article worldwide: "Superstar broke with that other superstar - Relationship shaking since a few days/weeks"

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    05-30-14 09:00 AM
    "No comments" means "yes"...

I always hear this in interviews...
    - "Dear Superstar, did you break your relationship with that other superstar"?
    - "No comments"
    (a few days/weeks later)
    Big article worldwide: "Superstar broke with that other superstar - Relationship shaking since a few days/weeks"

BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    But it has 'no' in it

Check Out TechCraze
    05-30-14 09:05 AM
    Maybe there's something about the Android the platform that better aligns with BlackBerry's long term direction than iOS? Who knows? If getting BlackBerry or some aspect of the experience into the hands users is better suited thru an android integration, time will tell I suppose. I just use the darn thing...

So long as I can control access to my personal info, in the same fashion as owning a BlackBerry today, and with the same attention to security as present, then that's what I'm hoping for if any android BlackBerry integration does happen. Till then, not gonna worry about it too much.
    05-30-14 11:06 AM
    I agree with this for the most part.

where I disagree is that I think that sometimes "no comment" or other specific words could mean something...

HOWEVER, after watching the interview myself, I definitely agree it was taken way out of context.. imo he just meant "I can't speak on it", which if he would have said that wouldn't have raised any alarms at all...

but he didn't say no comment like a Greg Popovich interview or a Juror taking the 5th like he was hiding something; he said "I can't comment on it" as if to say "I don't know" or "I can't predict the future".. it's wise not to speak unnecessarily on too many things with such an uncertain future as BlackBerry has.. they wouldn't want something he said to establish a position that could make it less likely that certain potential business partners work with them.
    Dude if he said "I can't speak on it" it would have made even more people think they were working on android stuff. Can't speak on it means there's something under wraps that he can't speak on, no comment is like saying I don't feel like talking about this

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 11:21 AM
    Can't speak on it means there's something under wraps that he can't speak on, no comment is like saying I don't feel like talking about this
    No, "next question" would be.
    05-30-14 12:59 PM
    Possible answers- Yes/No/maybe
    'will blackberry ever produce Android phones?' - No, it will not. --means it'll not
    'will blackberry ever produce Android phones?' - No comments --Yes/Maybe! if not today, then tomorrow, its their backup plan for handset business

As simple as that.
    05-30-14 01:05 PM
    Lol I was saying nobdy would get blackberry apps because a lot of the same type of apps in the BlackBerry store cost money and are free in the android store right this moment.and yeah I was just giving an example of one of those. And you tried to be a smart *** and say BlackBerry world doesn't have instagram, if you couldn't interpret what I meant then I shouldn't even be having this conversation with you. Yeah BlackBerry world doesn't have instagram it has igram and blackgram which cost money and the free android store app does not

Posted via CB10
    I interpreted what you said just fine. I was clarifying there is a difference.
    05-30-14 02:09 PM
253 ... 45678 ...