06-16-14 06:46 AM
253 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Secure android? Good luck. Someone is already ahead of them in that game and Knox hasn't got there yet either. What makes you think BBRY can make a secure android?
    Blackberry is already in the business of managing Android devices. It is already releasing "balance" feature with dual work space for Android devices. I think Blackberry already has a good handle on some security features on Android.
    05-29-14 03:41 PM
    John Chen - "Can Foxconn build us an Android phone that our BES clients would go for?"
    Hardware Procurement - "In a heartbeat. They have every configuration you can think of."
    Lemme fix that for you.

John Chen - "But why would they want an Android device labeled BlackBerry when there are already dozens if not hundreds of Android devices on the market already being manufactured with economies of scale we can only dream about?"
    Hardware Procurement - "Because... well... no, let me finish. It's because... having... the BlackBerry logo... thing... on the... top of the... front there will... invoke... the.... ardent reliableness... of... just having one invoice to approve! Yes, customers don't want to have to pay two separate invoices. That is why customers want BlackBerry-branded Android devices".
    John Chen -....silence...
    John Chen - "...so what you're saying is that we should develop and sell a secure platform that can be installed on any Android device, right?"
    Hardware Procurement - "Yes. Yes, that thing you said. Yes."
    John Chen - "ok, go ahead and clean out your desk by three o'clock. Sounds good."
    Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 03:57 PM
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-intereste...vices-planned/

Chen denies there are plans for a smartwatch.

He denies there are plans for smart glasses.

No laptops.

No tablets, at least right now.

An Android phone? "No comment."

Gimme a break.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    05-29-14 04:11 PM
    In my opinion Bb10 will not be abandoned but they will improve the android runtime so that we will be able to gain Google services ! I surely hope so !!would be awesome to rock all the apps on android and BlackBerry ! That would out BlackBerry in a strong position ! If they can advertise this compatibility !

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:26 PM
    Here are a few thoughts.

Look at Chen's body language when he is asked the question. His eyes look down and away. He was clearly taken aback.

If BlackBerry has no Android plans, this was clearly the wrong answer. Why not make say something like "BlackBerry has spent several years developing a world class operating system in BlackBerry 10. It is secure, more advanced, and better focused on our customers' needs than rival operating systems. So, our focus is BB10."

Hey, if Microsoft can make an Android phone, should we be surprised that BlackBerry might?

I bet this project has been under development for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    He also said we already run android apps on BlackBerry 10. Watch the video.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-29-14 04:28 PM
    Would you consider a device running Android designed and manufactured by HTC that licenses BlackBerry keyboard technology? Essentially an Android phone that delivers the authentic BlackBerry keyboard experience, but not a BlackBerry brand device?
    Yes but if BlackBerry had one I would buy that one because I love BlackBerry and I definitely want to support them

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:29 PM
    I think if Blackberry had gone Android route and worked on Blackberry security on top of Android, it would still be a big company and competing with the big guns like Samsung and Apple. It seems Blackberry is moving towards creating software for all ecosystems. If Blackberry can bring security to Android that will be a unique value proposition. The biggest drawback of Android is its security. A secure Android handset with some unique features like amazing Blackberry keyboard, hub etc. could bring Blackberry to limelight again. In my opinion, Blackberry is already supporting Android by supporting its Android runtime on BB10 phones. May be its time to bring one Android handset to the market and see how people receive it.
    You can't secure android... it's not secure at its core!!!... BlackBerry 10 with android runtime is the solution and I bet they are in talks with Google to setup a deal of some kind.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-29-14 04:30 PM
    BlackBerry releasing the most secure Android phone on the planet might actually draw more attention to them.
    I don't see how they can beat Samsung in doing that. They will go into this space with a disadvantage. They will have to reapply for all those security certs from the beginning instead of being at the top.

They might as well focus on being a software company then to spend resources creating an Android phone and compete with Google and Samsung.
    DS1331 likes this.
    05-29-14 04:34 PM
    I just had a thought. What if BlackBerry created a BlackBerry World for Android devices that was a trusted place for verified, safe, secure apps that also don't require Google services (perhaps it uses equivalent services from BlackBerry). Then if that took off, BlackBerry could leverage that so any apps there would be available for BB10 devices using the Android runtime. It might be the best way to get those Android apps officially, while also dipping into Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:58 PM
    BlackBerry releasing the most secure Android phone on the planet might actually draw more attention to them.
    I don't see how they can beat Samsung in doing that. They will go into this space with a disadvantage. They will have to reapply for all those security certs from the beginning instead of being at the top.

They might as well focus on being a software company then to spend resources creating an Android phone and compete with Google and Samsung.
    Why do they have to beat Samsung? IF (big IF) BBRY were to go that route and manage to grab 20+% of market share, that would be huge.
    05-29-14 05:49 PM
    I love bb10 please nooo
    05-29-14 05:54 PM
    Also,

Isn't Boeing developing a secure Android phone? And isn't there one called the "BlackPhone" or something? They got a lot of press a couple months ago but haven't heard much since. I think BlackBerry is better off staying with BlackBerry10..

And how would the "Internet of things" work if their smart phones stopped using QNX in turn for Android? Seems to me like they're killing themselves by doing so..
    05-29-14 05:57 PM
    I just had a thought. What if BlackBerry created a BlackBerry World for Android devices that was a trusted place for verified, safe, secure apps that also don't require Google services (perhaps it uses equivalent services from BlackBerry).
    BB World already has exactly this capability. Any interested developer with an app as you describe can simply run it through the converter and post it to BB World. That's been possible for 16+ months. Clearly, it didn't catch on, despite BB throwing a bunch of money at the problem with Dev conferences and sales guarantees, or this wouldn't be being discussed right now. The whole reason the runtime was opened up was because that strategy failed.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-29-14 05:58 PM
    BB World already has exactly this capability. Any interested developer with an app as you describe can simply run it through the converter and post it to BB World. That's been possible for 16+ months. Clearly, it didn't catch on, despite BB throwing a bunch of money at the problem with Dev conferences and sales guarantees, or this wouldn't be being discussed right now. The whole reason the runtime was opened up was because that strategy failed.
    You misunderstand me. I'm talking about offering an Android app of BlackBerry World for Android phones that could be a Google Play alternative where it has curated apps that are verified as safe and secure. Those apps would then automatically also be available in BlackBerry World on BB10. In other words, they'd be offering something for Android that would benefit them as a byproduct. I'm talking no apk to bar conversion would be necessary, and Android apps in BlackBerry World could also be ensured only the required permissions are requested.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:13 PM
    What would be the draw for Android users, who already have access to the Play Store and the latest version of every app?

Amazon's market has a captive audience of Kindle Fire users, plus they offer free apps (i.e., Amazon pays the developer a portion of their fee and gives it away at a loss to Amazon, to help build the market), and they have a huge media ecosystem to leverage.

1Market has a lot of pirated pay-apps.

What would BB's Android market bring that would get a significant number of users to install it?
    05-29-14 06:33 PM
    You can't secure android... it's not secure at its core!!!... BlackBerry 10 with android runtime is the solution and I bet they are in talks with Google to setup a deal of some kind.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    You think that Google is trying to setup a deal with BlackBerry? Really?

I very much doubt that.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-29-14 06:34 PM
    I think BlackBerry is going down the path of making the OS runs better with Android apps and Mr. Chen didn't want to go there which leads to a question of running Android app. They asked about it anyway.
    05-29-14 06:37 PM
    You misunderstand me. I'm talking about offering an Android app of BlackBerry World for Android phones that could be a Google Play alternative where it has curated apps that are verified as safe and secure. Those apps would then automatically also be available in BlackBerry World on BB10. In other words, they'd be offering something for Android that would benefit them as a byproduct. I'm talking no apk to bar conversion would be necessary, and Android apps in BlackBerry World could also be ensured only the required permissions are requested.

Posted via CB10
    This would never catch on because no one wants BlackBerry apps when they cost money. For example I have to pay for instagram on BlackBerry world but it's free on google play store. Very few people will end up paying for security

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:38 PM
    You think that Google is trying to setup a deal with BlackBerry? Really?

I very much doubt that.

Haha not even close. Googles not going to stick there money in a sinking ship ever. And even if BlackBerry turns everything around there's a slim chance

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 06:40 PM
    Haha not even close. Googles not going to stick there money in a sinking ship ever. And even if BlackBerry turns everything around there's a slim chance

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I just don't see it either.

05-29-14 06:44 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    what exactly about the nix core isn't secure again? How is it that android apps are more secure on bbos than android? You do realize android sandboxes too right?
    05-29-14 07:10 PM
    what exactly about the nix core isn't secure again? How is it that android apps are more secure on bbos than android? You do realize android sandboxes too right?
    People don't try to make it insecure but it's a patchwork of 16 million lines of code written by many different companies and users and it is a monolithic kernel maintained open source.
    05-29-14 07:24 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    I don't think BlackBerry could convince Google to hand over their services. They don't have any leverage. What's to stop Google from asking for millions BlackBerry doesn't have. Also, if they allowed BlackBerry in then other OHA members will want to be able to fork android and still have access to the services. That's something I don't see Google wanting the hassle of.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4, JeepBB and DS1331 like this.
    05-29-14 07:25 PM
    Isn't Boeing developing a secure Android phone? And isn't there one called the "BlackPhone" or something?
    Yes. BlackBerry should buy BlackPhone and that tech from Boeing if they want to make a go of it quickly.
    05-29-14 07:59 PM
    What would be the draw for Android users, who already have access to the Play Store and the latest version of every app?

Amazon's market has a captive audience of Kindle Fire users, plus they offer free apps (i.e., Amazon pays the developer a portion of their fee and gives it away at a loss to Amazon, to help build the market), and they have a huge media ecosystem to leverage.

1Market has a lot of pirated pay-apps.

What would BB's Android market bring that would get a significant number of users to install it?
    The angle would be a focus on secure, safe, and verified apps, which may be desired for corporate or government use. In an MDM capacity, it could be a trusted store where those apps are white listed. For BB10 and BES10, that could allow Android apps into the Work perimeter (they currently are not).

Consumers that want a more curated store without the risks of Google Play (which allows anything in and only removes stuff after-the-fact) might like it for piece-of-mind.

Android manufacturers such as Samsung that want to get more into the corporate world might appreciate such a thing as it could complement Knox.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 08:59 PM
253 ... 34567 ...