06-16-14 06:46 AM
253 ... 23456 ...
tools
    What do you want him to answer that stupid question? They just sit there threw him all kind of questions to see if he can absorb. Of course he is going to say no I cannot answer that question because we are all know that nothing for sure in this world. I'm sure he will not going into Android thing because there is nothing to make money of since Samsung dominates the whole world already with cheap hardware. The worse case he would do is concentrating on enterprise and QNX.
    I don't agree.

If someone asked him whether BlackBerry would be creating phones based on Sailfish OS, do you really think his answer would be "No Comment." He would just say "no."

It is an easy question to say no to.

He has made it clear that he is not emotionally tied to the device business. That means he is not emotionally tied to BB10. If he thinks building an Android phone will sell well and will help BlackBerry become profitable, it seems like he would build it.

I'm emotionally tied to BB10 so it would be a harder call for me to make.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and playpen007 like this.
    05-29-14 11:21 AM
    I wouldnt read too much into it. If blackberry goes android they will lose everything they stood for, security, enterprise, ETC.

Dont forget even if you go the Nokia X route there no Google Play services there either.

I think what may happen is if BB10 fails completely. BlackBerry will develop Android phones and sell it keeping only the Enterprise, BBM, QNX and the other software ventures
    05-29-14 11:27 AM
    ... and because Chen has not come out and professed his undying love for BB10, it means he's de facto anti-BB10? If you're going to leap to those kinds of conclusions, you might as well ask when Chen stopped beating his wife and neighbors.
    That makes no sense at all. Sorry beating ones wife has nothing to do with it.

Why not answer the question. Has JC ever promoted or defended BB10?

Because you can't.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    05-29-14 11:48 AM
    Google should buy bb10, they have android for free and blackberry os could be licensed out for money as a secure os.

And with Google owning bb10 I don't think it would be an issue attaining 100 percent compatibility.

So free, data mining ad driven android os, and paid secure QNX os, and both share a large ecosystem!

Send from my Q10 in Duracell Mode
    05-29-14 11:56 AM
    I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head.

Without a solid media ecosystem (apps, games, music, video, etc.) BB10 is dead in the water as a viable consumer platform.

The average person will ask: "does it have [app name here]?"

If the answer is "yes, but you have to install the Amazon Appstore" or "yes, but you have to side-load Snap", you've already lost them.

To BlackBerry's credit, they've changed a lot of "no"s to "yes, but"s, but most people are looking for "yes".

Another thing is, by now, most people have invested a lot of time and money in the iOS or Android ecosystems. It's not simply about learning a different OS in BB10. Will their purchased apps and media be accessible on a BlackBerry device? How easy or difficult is it to migrate? Frankly, most people don't have the time, patience, or interest in figuring all that out.

Windows Phone is gaining momentum mainly because Microsoft is a juggernaut and can afford to dump truck loads of cash into it, but also because their app and media ecosystem is better than BlackBerry's.

I used to be one of those asking "who cares about apps or media"? The answer should be obvious: just about everyone.

This is why BB10 has failed to gain mainstream attention and recognition, and why it will continue to fail.

I'm not saying it's a bad platform, or that it doesn't have some great features that no other platform can match. But as great as BB10 is in so many ways, it's not enough.

Enterprise is the future of BlackBerry. They'll keep making devices available to consumers, but they have no delusions of regaining their former glory in the handset market. That ship has sailed.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    05-29-14 12:02 PM
    I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head.

Without a solid media ecosystem (apps, games, music, video, etc.) BB10 is dead in the water as a viable consumer platform.

The average person will ask: "does it have [app name here]?"

If the answer is "yes, but you have to install the Amazon Appstore" or "yes, but you have to side-load Snap", you've already lost them.

To BlackBerry's credit, they've changed a lot of "no"s to "yes, but"s, but most people are looking for "yes".
    And anyone who doesn't have a native BlackBerry App isn't Canadian!

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-29-14 12:11 PM
    Sometimes "No comment" means exactly that.

"Yes" would immediately pull the rug out from under BB10 whether or not they are working on it now.

"No" would violate the "never say never" guideline, would be perceived as a lie or would actually be a lie (given the amount of in-house Android expertise BlackBerry already has I'm sure there are top-secret "BlackBerry value proposition on Android foundation" software and possibly device development projects underway.)

What he did say was what I think investors wanted to hear and it was true: not emotionally attached to the device business, and his focus on maximizing shareholder value currently includes being a handset OS and device developer, and the technology is excellent.

"No Comment" carries a stigma that makes "what isn't said" nefarious, but he and his team should be allowed to keep BBs strategy secret and flexible. When BlackBerry is profitable, however slightly, a "No Comment" answer will be interpreted differently. Go ask Apple if they are going to release a MacBook that can run iOS apps and see what they say. Probably a derivative of "No Comment".

Posted via CB10
    wolffkrieger likes this.
    05-29-14 12:22 PM
    iOS emulator? That's an odd comment and one I've not heard in a while.
    Maybe, but... Bingo! with that one...

05-29-14 12:48 PM
    And anyone who doesn't have a native BlackBerry App isn't Canadian!

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Can confirm. I don't have a native BlackBerry App and I'm not Canadian.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    05-29-14 12:52 PM
    Go ask Apple if they are going to release a MacBook that can run iOS apps and see what they say. Probably a derivative of "No Comment".
    Actually, they would probably say that they have a great OS for optimized for notebooks and a great OS optimized for tablets. Ask them if they are going to release a smart watch and they will probably say "No comment."
    05-29-14 12:57 PM
    Sometimes "No comment" means exactly that.
    Yes, sometimes it does. However, Chen should be smarter than to answer such a simple question in such a way.

As was said above: "No Comment" is also the wrong answer to "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

As I said in another thread, I admire John Chen's straightforward way of speaking and I'm not advocating he continue the "tradition" of previous BB CEO's by lying through his teeth, but there were many ways of answering that question without lying.

He could have praised up BB10 (and promoted the android runtime at the same time) and deflected questions of moving to android by simply stating that "BB10 is a powerful OS that Blackberry is very proud of". It's a non-answer, but it's neither a lie nor misleading.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-29-14 12:59 PM
    Actually, they would probably say that they have a great OS for optimized for notebooks and a great OS optimized for tablets. Ask them if they are going to release a smart watch and they will probably say "No comment."
    I doubt it. Isn't it well known they are working on merging the 2 like MS is with windows?
    05-29-14 01:06 PM
    Yes, sometimes it does. However, Chen should be smarter than to answer such a simple question in such a way.

As was said above: "No Comment" is also the wrong answer to "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

As I said in another thread, I admire John Chen's straightforward way of speaking and I'm not advocating he continue the "tradition" of previous BB CEO's by lying through his teeth, but there were many ways of answering that question without lying.

He could have praised up BB10 (and promoted the android runtime at the same time) and deflected questions of moving to android by simply stating that "BB10 is a powerful OS that Blackberry is very proud of". It's a non-answer, but it's neither a lie nor misleading.
    ...and we're back to contextual baggage of "No comment" and just saying words that doesn't directly answer interviewers questions is common and undermines credibility of the speaker. Answers that sound good but evade actually answering makes for an untrustworthy speaker. If you want to be trusted and perceived as not avoiding answering hard questions, sometimes the answers WILL be non-optimal and truthful.

I aspire to be that, and I'm sure it gets me in trouble, but in my line of business dodging tough answers to hard questions just wastes people's time: I have business to conduct and if you ask me if my square product will fit in the round hole you have to fill, I'll just state that you really should just shove something round in there and I'll go look for squares.

Another point: in addition to 'no comment' he DID answer the question directly and really well, so talking about the "I won't comment on that" statement out of context of the next two sentences out of his mouth on his next breath isn't really fair to him (if we're criticizing him for using the word "comment" near a negative word like "no" or "not").

His answer was excellent, and quoting him out of context to stir up anti-blackberry sentiment is getting old.

Posted via CB10
    grover5 and wolffkrieger like this.
    05-29-14 01:27 PM
    A secure Android phone? I have a feeling that the few people that do want a secure device are already going to pick up a BB10 device. If they have the stats to show they are leaving money on the table though I say go ahead but I think I'd even try a different manufacturer before I got a Android BlackBerry

I still got faith in Chen. Still waiting for that ultimate device that will steal market share from the competition. Only then will I really be able to tell if BlackBerry understands what people want out of a device

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 01:40 PM
    I can comment,

I've never seen Chen on an Android phone..

On actual thread topic, I can't see BlackBerry just dumping the QNX based OS that is BB10 anytime soon, Chen is giving it one more go with handsets, and they've finally started promoting '98% android apps compatible', and with their future 4 devices I don't think any of them will need to be android fully..

If BlackBerry get services, why would they need an 'android' phone it would be pointless..

What that likely refers to is (as some have said) just a fully functional android apps and services on bb10, nothing more..

But I could be wrong.

Check Out TechCraze
    wolffkrieger likes this.
    05-29-14 01:50 PM
    If BlackBerry get services, why would they need an 'android' phone it would be pointless..
    That's the only way they could get Google Services.
    05-29-14 01:58 PM
    That's the only way they could get Google Services.

It's called innovation and creativity do something out of the ordinary, work out a deal with Google that's different from the others.. there's always options, sometimes you have to create them.

Check Out TechCraze
    05-29-14 02:10 PM
    I would buy a Q10 running android yesterday

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 02:40 PM
    No I just don't want google playstore I want the badass Q10 running android kitkat with all the goodies

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 02:41 PM
    No interest at all. Android does not have a nice end user experience and it is FULL of spyware, even the official Google apps.

Android Player is all BlackBerry needs. Just keep improving it.

- Disco Trooper CB10Z10
    05-29-14 02:42 PM
    It's called innovation and creativity do something out of the ordinary, work out a deal with Google that's different from the others.. there's always options, sometimes you have to create them.
    For sure, if they could have done that it likely would have happened by now. Not sure how willing Google is to change the parameters of the Open Handset Alliance in order to make an exception for BlackBerry.

It's probably easier for BlackBerry to produce an Android phone through Foxconn.
    05-29-14 02:52 PM
    For sure, if they could have done that it likely would have happened by now. Not sure how willing Google is to change the parameters of the Open Handset Alliance in order to make an exception for BlackBerry.

It's probably easier for BlackBerry to produce an Android phone through Foxconn.
    To be honest how do you know they haven't? Isn't full Google play compatibility what they've been working towards anyway? And they've been tight lipped on android capabilities until recently.

Plus there's big hints in 10.3 that android is more integrated into bb10 e..g the new android hub notification centre

Check Out TechCraze
    05-29-14 03:11 PM
    No I just don't want google playstore I want the badass Q10 running android kitkat with all the goodies
    Would you consider a device running Android designed and manufactured by HTC that licenses BlackBerry keyboard technology? Essentially an Android phone that delivers the authentic BlackBerry keyboard experience, but not a BlackBerry brand device?
    05-29-14 03:20 PM
    Re/code Video Center | Re/code

Check out this Chen interview. He refuses to comment on whether BlackBerry will sell an Android phone.

To me this suggests that BlackBerry is building an Android phone.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Posted via CB10
    I think if Blackberry had gone Android route and worked on Blackberry security on top of Android, it would still be a big company and competing with the big guns like Samsung and Apple. It seems Blackberry is moving towards creating software for all ecosystems. If Blackberry can bring security to Android that will be a unique value proposition. The biggest drawback of Android is its security. A secure Android handset with some unique features like amazing Blackberry keyboard, hub etc. could bring Blackberry to limelight again. In my opinion, Blackberry is already supporting Android by supporting its Android runtime on BB10 phones. May be its time to bring one Android handset to the market and see how people receive it.
    05-29-14 03:24 PM
    John Chen - "Can we get these BES clients to buy our smartphones, too?"
    BES Sales - "We tried but they are switching to Android because they've got some key enterprise apps they want to deploy"
    John Chen - "Can Foxconn build us an Android phone that our BES clients would go for?"
    Hardware Procurement - "In a heartbeat. They have every configuration you can think of."
    John Chen - "It seems to me that we are leaving some money on the table."
    Hardware Sales - "You can't let this get out until it's ready. We're still pushing these BB10 smartphones pretty hard to our clients."
    John Chen - "Don't worry, if I'm asked I will say ' No comment'. That's what you say when you can't really deny something but you don't want to confirm it just yet."
    I bet if not already then John Chen will have this conversation real soon.
    05-29-14 03:31 PM
253 ... 23456 ...