06-16-14 06:46 AM
253 12345 ...
tools
    When has JC ever promoted or defended BB10??

He had a few obvious chances to do so in several interviews. Haven't seen him do it yet.

He will not and has not refuted claims of his "anti-BB10" stance either.

Did I miss that?

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    05-29-14 08:32 AM
    When has JC ever promoted or defended BB10??

He had a few obvious chances to do so in several interviews. Haven't seen him do it yet.

He will not and has not refuted claims of his "anti-BB10" stance either.

Did I miss that?

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    I didn't know he is anti bb10
    05-29-14 08:40 AM
    So after the latest interview, sentiment here has apparently gone from "Chen is going to refine BB10 and push it to the masses along with BES to create a seamless ecosystem that can be further built out" to "Chen is bailing on BB10 as soon as possible because he's going to an all-Android platform to try and mesh with BES in a last-ditch effort to save his hide."

Incredible. My teenage daughters aren't this neurotic.

Meh, I've long thought Chen would drop BB10, exit the consumer phone game, and become a purely enterprise-focused company... so a scenario where BB10 lives on in enterprise (where security seems to matter), and BB stays in the consumer space with Android (where ecosystem seems to matter) ... seems a win-win outcome.

And some people say I'm pessimistic...

JBB
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-29-14 08:40 AM
    Meh, I've long thought Chen would drop BB10, exit the consumer phone game, and become a purely enterprise-focused company... so a scenario where BB10 lives on in enterprise (where security seems to matter), and BB stays in the consumer space with Android (where ecosystem seems to matter) ... seems a win-win outcome.

And some people say I'm pessimistic...

JBB
    I'm still not convinced an android bb will sell any better.
    anon1727506 and allengeorge like this.
    05-29-14 08:43 AM

TBH, neither am I.

But, given that I think BB10 without an ecosystem is a busted flush, and that Android on BB hardware would give people what they seem to want... what do they have to lose?

JBB
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 08:49 AM
    So is android on top of bb10, pure android, going to run any better? Be seamless? You'll never see bb10 or never see android? As for UI?
    Better... no there will be a performance hit compared to pure Android. Compared to some OEM's UI... who knows.

Seamless... Yes, as the BB10 UI is going to be gone, you will only use Android and it's Apps. Maybe BlackBerry will be able to create a HUB like experience on top of Android, but most likely to begin with you will just have your normal Android Apps.

BB10/QNX will be used to secure the OS and to lock out access to the Boot ROM. For business, they will use the standard BES Android container to provide the security that they require in addition to the device being unrootable. For consumers...these are going to be more expensive devices that as usually are about a year behind in specs, so very few consumers are going to see the value.

Basically BB10 and what makes it really a great communications platform will be gone..... Given time to develop it more, they might be able to bring some of the features back as part of their custom UI. But they would not have time to have all the bells and whistles at launch.

This is all just wild speculation... some times no comment is just that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 08:55 AM
    Re/code Video Center | Re/code

Check out this Chen interview. He refuses to comment on whether BlackBerry will sell an Android phone.

To me this suggests that BlackBerry is building an Android phone.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I second this. They probably will build an Android phone of sorts - the current BB10 phones are practically there right now.
    05-29-14 08:58 AM
    If BlackBerry goes android im getting myself a windows phone.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Vorkosigan and haringfish like this.
    05-29-14 09:07 AM
    If BlackBerry goes android im getting myself a windows phone.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    This, right here. Many bb fans feel this way. Doesn't look good.
    05-29-14 09:26 AM
    Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about that comment... I do wish BB the best at what ever they set out to do...
    05-29-14 09:27 AM
    I suspect BB are quite a ways through the alphabet already. Plan Z may be just around the corner...

I wonder if the dual track suggested above might work - BB10 handsets for enterprise, Android handsets for consumers. And I mean full Android, not merely a runtime, so that the phone would be OHA compliant and google play access would be a given.

Frankly, given where we are, when many seem to believe that full access to the Android ecosystem is what might be BB's last, best hope... I'm not sure what they have to lose.

JBB
    I'm just gonna say NO.

If you saw the interview with the CNBC he said the Z3 is a small part of the handsets coming out to turn the business around so there are still some alphabets coming.

Alphabet Z is not around the corner

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:33 AM
    The Android runtime is finally getting good enough so that the app gap can at least theoretical be closed. The problem is distribution! BlackBerry needs access to all the apps. Amazon's app store is decent but it is not in the same league as Google Play.

Chen may have just thrown his hands up, Google may have put some money on the table, and maybe we'll see this happen.

Someone please address this: why can't Android be made secure?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:52 AM
    The Android runtime is finally getting good enough so that the app gap can at least theoretical be closed. The problem is distribution! BlackBerry needs access to all the apps. Amazon's app store is decent but it is not in the same league as Google Play.

Chen may have just thrown his hands up, Google may have put some money on the table, and maybe we'll see this happen.

Posted via CB10
    Google may have put some money on the table for what.....?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 09:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    It can to some extent. The issue is basically that the android kernel is based on Linux which is open source and massive(16 million lines of code) with numerous people and companies contributing to the code so the probability of their being security issues buried in there somewhere is exponentially more than the QNX kernel which is 110 thousand lines of code maintained only by BlackBerry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-29-14 09:59 AM
    To bring BlackBerry into the fold.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:06 AM
    I have very mixed feelings on all this. I love BB10 and I love Android, but I've never wanted those two to mix. I want my BB10 phones to be BB10 and I want my Android phones to be Android. Do I want some features/apps that I enjoy on my Android devices on my BB10 devices? Heck yeah! But I don't want them to BE Android.

I liked what Chen said about taking BB to their enterprise roots and developing specialized devices for certain industries. I realize that I won't be getting these devices since I don't use my mobile device for work, but I think it's a good strategy to gain money and bring BlackBerry back to peoples' minds. Then they can work on the super powered BB10 consumer device of my dreams . But...if it's an ANDROID BlackBerry device...I just don't know. Perhaps I'll warm up to the idea once I actually see what a device like that would look like and how it would work. If they do go that route, I really hope it's the right path for them and that it sells well. Maybe it'll appeal to the hearts of people that have since moved to Android but still hold a soft spot for BlackBerry.
    05-29-14 10:07 AM
    I hope that BlackBerry doesn't go down this route. To me it only leads to the end of BlackBerry. I get including Android runtime to allow more apps to be installed, but producing Android devices is a step too far for me.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    kbz1960 and dphjeff like this.
    05-29-14 10:12 AM
    Is it even possible? They give up Security. I would guess a more formal Android Virtual Machine (VM) with Google services as opposed to dumping BB10 OS

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 10:13 AM
    Google may have put some money on the table
    To bring BlackBerry into the fold.
    The fold of what? This makes no sense at all - especially if Android is allegedly open-source.

Er, maybe it's not as "open source" as some would like to think, though.

So Android Is "Open" Eh? - The Market Ticker
    05-29-14 10:47 AM
    I have very mixed feelings on all this. I love BB10 and I love Android, but I've never wanted those two to mix. I want my BB10 phones to be BB10 and I want my Android phones to be Android. Do I want some features/apps that I enjoy on my Android devices on my BB10 devices? Heck yeah! But I don't want them to BE Android.

I liked what Chen said about taking BB to their enterprise roots and developing specialized devices for certain industries. I realize that I won't be getting these devices since I don't use my mobile device for work, but I think it's a good strategy to gain money and bring BlackBerry back to peoples' minds. Then they can work on the super powered BB10 consumer device of my dreams . But...if it's an ANDROID BlackBerry device...I just don't know. Perhaps I'll warm up to the idea once I actually see what a device like that would look like and how it would work. If they do go that route, I really hope it's the right path for them and that it sells well. Maybe it'll appeal to the hearts of people that have since moved to Android but still hold a soft spot for BlackBerry.

From my mind out of your laptop....how did that happen??????
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-29-14 11:02 AM
    At the vey least, Blackberry would save millions in R&D and the phones could be better spec'ed.

BBRY might not even have the money left to develop BB10 as the OS is largely unchanged since launched while competing OSes continue evolving.
    05-29-14 11:04 AM
    I know what you mean, but if Chen dislikes lying, it's the only answer he can give truthfully. "Never say never" as the saying goes.

What if BB need to produce a phone running Android. After all if Blackphone start nipping at BB heels, or hoovering up the secure android market, surely BB will want to get into the secure android market?

I was reminded recently that RIM's whole reason for being was that they were the only company with phones offering push email, when everyone else either couldn't handle email at all, or at best were on pull. Now every phone has push email, so BB have to find a new USP and it looks as though they've picked security as their USP. If Android market wants a secure phone, why shouldn't BB find a way to offer it.

Chen has a lot to do focusing on BB and BB10, but he will be very conscious of the pitfalls that TH fell into. Remember the "there's no future in tablets" comment, or "Yes, BB10 is coming to playbooks" comment? Better to avoid it truthfully, than say No and then backtrack....
    05-29-14 11:06 AM
    No matter what answer he gives/gave we as humans would read more into it.

I'm sure when and if they decide to create and sell an Android device we'll all officially know about it.

Now having said all that, I feel an Android device running true BlackBerry gestures (unlike the HTC One M8) would be welcomed...

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    05-29-14 11:10 AM
    What do you want him to answer that stupid question? They just sit there threw him all kind of questions to see if he can absorb. Of course he is going to say no I cannot answer that question because we are all know that nothing for sure in this world. I'm sure he will not going into Android thing because there is nothing to make money of since Samsung dominates the whole world already with cheap hardware. The worse case he would do is concentrating on enterprise and QNX.
    05-29-14 11:12 AM
    At the vey least, Blackberry would save millions in R&D and the phones could be better spec'ed.

BBRY might not even have the money left to develop BB10 as the OS is largely unchanged since launched while competing OSes continue evolving.
    I disagree. BB10 has changed considerably since launch.

I don't think that moving to Android would help them. Then there is nothing to differentiate them from other Android manufacturers, who have been in the space for much longer. They'll get lost.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-29-14 11:14 AM
253 12345 ...