What Kim Kardashian giveth, Chelsea Handler taketh away.

“I use Apple,” the comedian and author said when asked by*Re/code’s*Kara Swisher what mobile device she uses. “Are there any others?”

While Kardashian gave a nice unsolicited plug to BlackBerry at last year’s*Code Conference, Handler poked fun at her manager’s device of choice, which turned out to be a BlackBerry Passport. Handler initially thought it was a Samsung Galaxy, but was corrected by her manager.

“You think I give a ****?” Handler said from the stage at the*Code/Mediaconference*today. “It’s big and it takes up half the car.”

Handler said she used to use a BlackBerry, which puts her in pretty good company with plenty of iPhone and Android users.

“I loved my BlackBerry,” she said. “It was hard for me to part with that.”
    Chelsea Handler No Fan of BlackBerry Passport | Re/code

With that title, the author may be more of a BBRY hater than Chelsea. Typical.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by walt63; 02-19-15 at 08:29 AM.
    02-18-15 08:16 PM
    “You think I give a ****?” Handler said from the stage at the*Code/Mediaconference*today. “It’s big and it takes up half the car.”
    Because an iPhone is so significantly smaller than a Z10, Q10, or hell, the Classic.
    02-18-15 08:33 PM
    People actually care about these turds opinions?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    02-18-15 08:47 PM
    Because an iPhone is so significantly smaller than a Z10, Q10, or hell, the Classic.
    She's a comedienne that mimics topless leaders on horseback. Hard facts take a back seat to artistic license.
    02-18-15 08:48 PM
    She's a comedienne that mimics topless leaders on horseback. Hard facts take a back seat to artistic license.
    Well said... I really should learn to start ignoring all these folks that make leaps and bounds more than I do...
    02-18-15 08:49 PM
    I think Chelsea Handler said in an interview that she was "on the autistic spectrum" so maybe she was using her Autistic License...
    02-18-15 09:03 PM
    "It's big and takes up half the car" I don't really take that as an insult, a lot of people want a big phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:04 PM
    So her manager who handles all her stuff and bookings and all that uses a BlackBerry?

Sounds about right.

She should respect the BlackBerry considering her life is indirectly run by one.
    02-19-15 02:06 AM
    I posted this to show how the title of the article was misleading. I don't think Chelsea said anything to throw stones at her. The Passport is a big device. That's the truth. She even said that it was hard for her to leave it.

I think BBRY/Chen needs to (or hopefully he has already) realize that there are a ****-ton of high profile people and even basic consumers, that would love a PK device. Deep in their hearts, those people really don't want an iPhone. But because BBRY "went where the puck was at instead of going where the puck was going", those people were heavily influenced to leave and acted on it. Consumers aren't idle, so your business shouldn't be either.

While suing Typo for design infringement, hopefully BBRY is also analyzing why Typo was started in the first place. They have Ryan Seacrest as a major supporter - someone who actually should be using a BBRY device. Look at the big picture. People want the click-aty-clack, but also wants to be engaged with the world digitally.

BBRY must figure out a solution to get the high-profilers back. And people, don't give me that "use Snap", "Amazon App Store", or "Cobalt Patch" bull-crap. It's a terrible strategy for the simple-minded and that's who you have to please in the mobile.
    pogly2, neoberry99 and John Crist like this.
    02-19-15 08:28 AM
    "It's big and takes up half the car"
    Is she talking about Kardashians ***?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    02-19-15 08:36 AM
    I posted this to show how the title of the article was misleading. I don't think Chelsea said anything to throw stones at her. The Passport is a big device. That's the truth. She even said that it was hard for her to leave it.

I think BBRY/Chen needs to (or hopefully he has already) realize that there are a ****-ton of high profile people and even basic consumers, that would love a PK device. Deep in their hearts, those people really don't want an iPhone. But because BBRY "went where the puck was at instead of going where the puck was going", those people were heavily influenced to leave and acted on it. Consumers aren't idle, so your business shouldn't be either.
    While I'm not sure if these people would love a Passport or not.... I think getting one in their hands and letting them try it out would be a smart move.

The should have made a few thousand of those Gold Passports, and put them in every Awards Show gift bag that they could. Include a Cloud Based BES License (even if it is still in beta) with a flyer on how that can protect their communications. Of course BlackBerry would have needed to preload a few Andorid Apps or even SNAP (Instagram), but as these were not really devices up for sale... maybe they could get buy with it. Sure many would toss it aside, but maybe a few might start using them in public...
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 02-19-15 at 09:23 AM.
    walt63 likes this.
    02-19-15 08:57 AM
    wall of text
    I agree with you 100%. There's two aspects BBRY needs to be acting on post-haste, and neither of which are "new handsets".

Side 1) Quality of Life Improvements:
    Let's take a look at how things work between Android/iOS and BlackBerry 10. Android reports that it can install and run Android apps (naturally). iOS reports it can install iOS apps (naturally). BlackBerry reports it can install BlackBerry and Android apps. To install an app on Android, you go to Google Play Store, search for and select the app you want to install, and it installs. For iOS, you go to the App Store, search for and select the app you want to install, and it installs. For BlackBerry and BlackBerry apps, you go to BlackBerry World, search for and select the app you want to install, and it installs. For Android apps, you can go to the Amazon Apps market, search for an app, and hope it actually installs the first time. Or you can sideload SNAP using a variety of methods using instructions off of a forum that you have to search for. Or you can use Google Play Store, if you search for the APK, search for instructions on a forum for links to two other APKs you need to install, log in using one of those apps... you get the idea. Two thirds of the means of installing apps on BlackBerry 10 isn't very friendly. That's assuming the app works at all. Support for this process is decent, if you're a CrackBerry user. For the average Joe who bought the phone and doesn't understand exactly what extensions in Chrome are for, or that he's even using Chrome (which is the majority of consumers), downloading Android apps is a farce, making BlackBerry 10 seem rather unfriendly. Let's not delve into the fact that you have to pray the app you want works because of the Google Play Services limitation. Yes, yes, we all know WHY Google Play Services aren't supported in BlackBerry 10, but does the average consumer understand or care? Not at ALL. They paid $x for a device, and that device needs to work as advertised and to their expectations. If it doesn't, a device that does will replace it, and to consumers right now that is ALL other devices. Read it and weep. That's only ONE quality of life improvement, not to mention other improvements that could be made.

2) Advertising:
    Right now . That's fantastic. I'm average Joe consumer, and when I watch this, I see that this phone is for people in suits. I watch this, and if I watch it all the way through, I take away these points --
    - It's the old dinosaur phones from yesteryear... UPGRADED.
    - It's from a company I haven't heard about in years... UPGRADED. Weren't they close to going out of business? I guess anything is an upgrade from that status.
    - More corporate stuff... UPGRADED. Woo...
    - Watching this commercial bores me because I can't relate to any of those people. Can I get that minute of my life back?

Let's take a look at and break it down in a similar fashion.

- I didn't actually see what the product was in this commercial, but I want it.
    - My feelz were touched. That was worth watching.
    - I can relate to this dude or that mom, because, everyone gets what that's like on some level.
    - You can bet your *** I'll at least think about the word Glass at some point and possibly Google it. That was a well done commercial.

There was a time (and I may still do this) where I wanted to come up with my own indi commercials and post them here on CrackBerry as a general 'different take' on how BlackBerry should be marketing itself consumer-handset-wise. I'll have to dig around to find my prior post about it, but the basic gist was things like Story Maker; running around, taking pictures, and sharing them. Really, a commercial like that doesn't even touch the surface of what BlackBerry 10 is capable of, but it's something people can relate to. Throw in a little something about never loosing a picture because, you know, security or whatever, or something about being THE social and messaging platform, and BAM. A feel good commercial that people will engage with. Doesn't have to really say much about BlackBerry 10, Hub, or whatever. It doesn't really need to say much at all. It just needs to hook me.

For an example, look at . But it's effective.
    grumpyaeroguy, walt63 and ADGrant like this.
    02-19-15 09:18 AM
    Since Chelsea posts topless photos on Twitter, she's obviously not worried about having her iPhone hacked.....

Just another tech "writer" using their pulpit to continue to bash BlackBerry. At this point, this sort of behavior has become downright laughable, as despite all of the articles proclaiming the "Death Of BlackBerry" or "BlackBerry's Last Gasp", the company survives and continues to sell devices.
    02-19-15 09:32 AM
    She needs a bigger car.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 12:44 PM

While suing Typo for design infringement, hopefully BBRY is also analyzing why Typo was started in the first place. They have Ryan Seacrest as a major supporter - someone who actually should be using a BBRY device. Look at the big picture. People want the click-aty-clack, but also wants to be engaged with the world digitally.

BBRY must figure out a solution to get the high-profilers back. And people, don't give me that "use Snap", "Amazon App Store", or "Cobalt Patch" bull-crap. It's a terrible strategy for the simple-minded and that's who you have to please in the mobile.
    "Are there any others?" is exactly what the title is about. That's a slam by Handler.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:35 PM
    OK I give up. Again, who is she?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 10:47 PM
    is she talking about kardashians ***?

Posted via cb10 on the president underwood version of the blackberry classic
    bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha ! ! ! ! !
    02-21-15 11:07 PM
    She's really a few years late for hating on the size of phablets.. especially since apple has now released one. Good to hear her manager got a passport though, also for the record I have no idea who this lady is either.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:09 AM
    Who cares what people say about Blackberry. I have an LG G2 for all the fun stuff. All Blackberry has ever been important for is email. That's why it's lost marketshare as social media became more important. It's still the best for email with clients by far and PKB just makes it all the more efficient. That's why Blackberry is focusing on the actual buyer/user segments that it's chosen because in my industry we are somewhat restricted. Iphone has consumer market locked up for next 10-20 years just like Microsoft did in pre-mobile area. Eventually if Blackberry can focus on new types of IOT there may come a day where people will give up IOS because it doesn't translate into next big thing. Steve Jobs is dead so I haven't seen any real innovation just improvements. When the next idea like Itunes or something comes along, maybe Blackberry will be the one who locks it down first. The next generation will make fun of apple like this generation makes fun of Microsoft and Blaxkberry.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 03:37 PM
    *blackberry...LOL

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 03:38 PM
    So everyone celebrates when Kortney Kardashian says she loves BlackBerry, and for some reason her opinion is of value. Then Chesley Handler says the opposite but her opinion isn't of value. Too funny.

They're both celebrities. But clearly Kardashian is more known for being without a brain and contributing nothing to society. So why is it that her opinion of BlackBerry was accepted?

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-23-15 06:21 PM
    So everyone celebrates when Kortney Kardashian says she loves BlackBerry, and for some reason her opinion is of value. Then Chesley Handler says the opposite but her opinion isn't of value. Too funny.

They're both celebrities. But clearly Kardashian is more known for being without a brain and contributing nothing to society. So why is it that her opinion of BlackBerry was accepted?

What is funny is how all the FUD slingers are trying to twist her words to make it sound like she didn't like it when all she was saying was the Passport is big.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:03 PM
    OK I give up. Again, who is she?

Posted via CB10
    Year is 2015? Check.

Let me google that for you
    02-23-15 09:34 PM

What in the blue hell are you talking about? Accepted by whom, exactly?

a) This is a BlackBerry fan site. So if KK says she likes a phone, crackberry isn't going to complain. Are you thinking that she doesn't take crap for using a BlackBerry? You'd be wrong. Nearly all the times I hear the KK's boast about their love for BB, they always have to mention how they get so much crap for it.

b) Bloggers hype little stuff and misinterpret to use as click bait. News at 11.

KK's are known to be hardcore phone users with multiple phones and constant communication and visibility. Chelsea is known for the same... oh wait, no she isn't. And Chelsea is known to be very smart and contributes to society, oh wait, she doesn't. She drinks a lot and makes fun of people on a comedy show that had terrible ratings.

I'm not a fan of either. I could probably watch Chelsea if I had to (the guest comedians are often funny). But you are latching on to the wrong thing about this story, I think.

Now I hate you for making me defend the KK's. :P
    02-23-15 09:45 PM
    This is a funny debate.

When a celebrity endorses BlackBerry they are the best celebrity ever. When Drake (again who the f****k is this guy?) did something with his BlackBerry all you fanboys had hardons over the guy. But when Chelsea Handler says something negative about BlackBerry she's a nobody or a has-been. But I can guarantee you one thing. Chelsea Handler has more star power in the US than Drake ever will...

Celebrity endorsements are useless in my opinion. Do I really care what phone any of these people are using? Nope.

Lastly, are you (generalizing) really arguing over a Kardashian, one of the most vapid people in pop culture? move on people... Life is short...
    Magnetox likes this.
    02-24-15 11:28 AM